• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

bunbunsss <33333333 sorry i've been gobbled up by that forum gaming community in gaf ;____;

i miss u toooooo guuurrrrrrrrlllllllll

im also playing SOMA

im also doing NaNoWriMo

basically im dying :D

Soma's great so far. I have little to no idea what's going on.

So Halloween was my last night of drinking alcohol. I'm now trying really hard to stay sober for as long as I can. My family and friends really don't believe me but it's to be expected. I hope they support me and don't make fun of me staying sober.

I'm going to miss my Guinness Draughts, my long islands, my whiskey, and drinking with my family and buddies. It was a fun 8 years alcohol but it's time for us to part ways.

I find it funny how much alcohol is everywhere in the U.S. Almost all of our holidays are excuses for some people to drink and get wasted. Its been incorporated so much into our lives. Music, television, games, culture, etc. It really is crazy if you ask me.

bunbunsss <33333333 sorry i've been gobbled up by that forum gaming community in gaf ;____;

i miss u toooooo guuurrrrrrrrlllllllll

im also playing SOMA

im also doing NaNoWriMo

basically im dying :D

I'm to lazy to make a fake account but don't want to use my actual account. :/

Also, what happened to yes no?

I asked first but apparently I'm just chopped liver. &#128553;&#128546;

SystemBug

So y'all know the famous Thai Life Insurance commercials that make you cry?

WELL, I saw three today I really liked :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdm4NBYxII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGghmwUcbQ

& https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM1UY8DkT-8

The last one is least likely to make you cry, soooo.

& yes, I know they're preying on emotions. That being said, I'm not going to buy insurance, but I'll enjoy these free sinus unblockers.
Yeah those ones are great. It's still like pretty impressive how well they are directed.

SystemBug

Yes.

Alas, this only makes me more terrified to have kids. Sure, I might be happier, but I'd also be 1000000000000x more stressed always worrying about my kid.

No thanks. I'm happy enough as it is. I don't want to have to work thinking that other tiny helpless people (I made and love) depend on me T___T.
I actually can't wait to be a dad. Like I got my troll dad and dad jokes on lockdown already.

Babys are so cute

Oh you haven't even gotten to the real shit yet.

i can tell ;___; .... i... i look forward to it!!!

Good luck with NaNo, I did it 3 years in a row.

thank you! im at 5,000ish words now... im behind already! target is 8333... aaah

*drags ynnny back to gafia*

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa prodibooooo get some of azn bro/sis to gafia pls

I asked first but apparently I'm just chopped liver. &#128553;&#128546;

zaraki sorry! i ... i didnt see your message ;___; bad yesno ;___;

also chopped liver is tasty if you deep fry them :D

i like noms

Erheller

So y'all know the famous Thai Life Insurance commercials that make you cry?

WELL, I saw three today I really liked :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdm4NBYxII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGghmwUcbQ

& https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM1UY8DkT-8

The last one is least likely to make you cry, soooo.

& yes, I know they're preying on emotions. That being said, I'm not going to buy insurance, but I'll enjoy these free sinus unblockers.

This one is pretty good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OqOHxwRy04

Man, even Hiro doesn't get to kiss the white girl. Dammit hollywood get your shit straight. I hope Sunny gets a love interest in Into The Badlands.

Man, even Hiro doesn't get to kiss the white girl. Dammit hollywood get your shit straight. I hope Sunny gets a love interest in Into The Badlands.

that guy in walky ded gets to kiss whitey gf

also that other guy in fast and furious

is whitey gf kissing some kind of standard that im not aware of? i think asian people and black people pairing is even more unicorn like

suzu

I reeeally really hope Indivisible gets funded. It's a 2D action rpg, inspired mainly by Southeast-Asian mythology, has a female protagonist and a battle system similar to Valkyrie Profile. Also dat music by the composer for Secret of Mana. Ahhhhhh.

that guy in walky ded gets to kiss whitey gf

also that other guy in fast and furious

is whitey gf kissing some kind of standard that im not aware of? i think asian people and black people pairing is even more unicorn like

Nah I was just joking.

The gist is that Hollywood is too scared to show inter-racial couples particularly involving a male character. Once in a while you would see a Asian male or Black male character with a white female character but more often than not, you're going to be seeing a Asian female with a White male character and vice versa.

In some cases you would get the AM/BM/Hispanic or Latino Male/Native American Male getting the WF but in some cases they only get a hug and some hand holding and nothing else. Jet Li is one of the most famous actors that other Asians like to use as an example. In both of his movies, he got both females (Aaliyah and Bridget) but he never got the chance to get romantic with them.

The best case of the opposite would be of course, Glenn, from The Walking Dead. Asians finally got something to be happy for or proud of! We finally got an AM lead that has sex and marries a WF. Glenn also destroys many other stereotypical Asian Male stereotypes that all pertain to Asian males being very beta and never taking charge.

Most of this I got from reddit/aa lol (paraphrasing most of it). There are obviously more examples that I don't know of but I'm pretty sure if you go to reddit you can see and read more examples. I didn't even know of this until I was on reddit hah.

Somehow for some Asians getting the White Female is some sign of "winning" over white people. I'll never understand it lol.

zeemumu

Nah I was just joking.

The gist is that Hollywood is too scared to show inter-racial couples particularly involving a male character. Once in a while you would see a Asian male or Black male character with a white female character but more often than not, you're going to be seeing a Asian female with a White male character and vice versa.

In some cases you would get the AM/BM/Hispanic or Latino Male/Native American Male getting the WF but in some cases they only get a hug and some hand holding and nothing else. Jet Li is one of the most famous actors that other Asians like to use as an example. In both of his movies, he got both females (Aaliyah and Bridget) but he never got the chance to get romantic with them.

The best case of the opposite would be of course, Glenn, from The Walking Dead. Asians finally got something to be happy for or proud of! We finally got an AM lead that has sex and marries a WF. Glenn also destroys many other stereotypical Asian Male stereotypes that all pertain to Asian males being very beta and never taking charge.

Most of this I got from reddit/aa lol (paraphrasing most of it). There are obviously more examples that I don't know of but I'm pretty sure if you go to reddit you can see and read more examples. I didn't even know of this until I was on reddit hah.

Somehow for some Asians getting the White Female is some sign of "winning" over white people. I'll never understand it lol.

Speaking of Hollywood and minorities, how many Asian characters survive horror scenarios? I bring this up because I'm watching The Taking of Deborah Logan right now and the main character is Asian and I'm realizing how rare that is in horror. I remember other Asian characters, but I don't remember any of them surviving, except Glenn. I want to know if the Live/Die ratio is compared to the "black guy dies first" trope.

I can see it lol

Every time I see a brown dude with a white girl I think

"wow, he won"

I know, it happens to me every once in a while lol. In my mind, "damn he got a white girl?!" I don't understand why I think like that hah.

I actually don't know or remember many Asian leads surviving in horror movies made in hollywood. Uh.... I think the Asian guy survives in Hatchet 3 but he's not the lead. Edison Chen didn't survive in The Grudge 2. Justin Chon almost survived in Detention of The Dead. There's an Asian male lead in one of the tales from A Christmas Horror Story but he gets killed near the end (he also has a white girlfriend and gets laid before he dies I think).

I.... Think that confirms it, most of the Asian characters or leads get killed and don't survive.

Sober

Well to me, it either means the dude is white as fuck or she is a weeabo.

Feels really problematic to basically insert WASP women as "the top prize" but yeah that's gonna happen no matter what.

Also IMO she doesn't have to be white, but I presume even pairings like east asian/southeast asian means they are both whitewashed as hell, etc. etc.

Zoe

You need to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Lead girl is pining for a Filipino guy, Filipino guy has a hot Hispanic girlfriend. Tons of Asians as side characters and in the background.

Don't think I've seen so many Filipinos interacting on a TV screen since a Black Eyed Peas video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5fHfG_ptE

Yeah lol white washing is also a problem for all people of color.

We know this Hmong guy who was super white washed but he still dated Hmong chicks. It was so funny to hear him speak Hmong whenever he's around us lol.

Among other problems I think this one plagues many Asian males - our women not dating Asian guys no matter how much money he makes, how great his personality is, how great he looks, or all of the above.

Get this.... My best friend has a niece that only dates every other person of color except Asian guys. Want to know her reason? Guess which stereotype she said that made her not want to date Asian guys.

You need to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Lead girl is pining for a Filipino guy, Filipino guy has a hot Hispanic girlfriend. Tons of Asians as side characters and in the background.

Don't think I've seen so many Filipinos interacting on a TV screen since a Black Eyed Peas video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5fHfG_ptE

Yea I saw that. Is it.... Like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? I sort of enjoyed that.

"Self hating [insert race here]"

It's good that I'm not a racist fuck and have liked every color at some point.

Yuuuuuup, there's not alot but they sure are vocal. If you don't want to hear or read it, I would avoid reddit/aa or any other variant of it. It does make for some entertaining reads though.

Sober

Yea I saw that. Is it.... Like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? I sort of enjoyed that.
Probably better than Kimmy Schmidt. And I say that as a huge Tina Fey fan.

It's a musical comedy. It's actually a very feminist show. Why else would they pair it with Jane the Virgin?

Sober

Hm, I'll have to check it out sometime.
Check out the show's OT

Also the songs more or less go up on youtube, either on The CW's YT page or the lead actress', who stars and performs most of the songs. She also did a bunch of original music videos back in the day that are sort of the same dark comedy tone so she's an awesome fit.

No spoilers but watch the musical numbers from episode 1, they give you all you need IMO--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnWw7ou4ik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-BYK-f154

Nice, I'll give this a listen later when I'm working out along with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Musicals.

Must be weird for some Asians that can't communicate with their older folks. Most of the Hmong immigrants in MN that are older and around my age up to their 40s, all can speak and understand most of their native language. But they all still speak English 90% of the time though.

Does anybody have issues speaking their native tongue in broken sentences and shit lol? Or have some pauses in between to find a certain word to convey what they say? I often catch myself speaking broken Hmong and Hmonglish all the time and I get weirded out shivers

mercviper

Some real talk here. My dad also basically grew up in a 500-ft hut. It was some single room apartment that he, his brother and mom shared with another family. My grandma constantly reminded me how lucky I am to have milk as a kid because they couldn't afford it when my dad was growing up. It's pretty amazing whenever I think about it that I have the life I had compared to my dad's childhood.

Also that bit with the language barrier when talking to grandparents really connected with me too. I never know what to say when calling them and it's just kinda rote "hi long time no talk, did you eat? Okay bye."

Does anybody have issues speaking their native tongue in broken sentences and shit lol? Or have some pauses in between to find a certain word to convey what they say? I often catch myself speaking broken Hmong and Hmonglish all the time and I get weirded out shivers

All the time.

zeemumu

Traffic in here has died down a little so I guess the group absorbed some of it. Of course I wouldn't know how much because I wasn't invited

tumblr_ln946924nK1qfjcnyo1_500.png

Agents of SHIELD has an Asian female with a black male.

Han got robbed in Fast & Furious.
Loses his girlfriend then gets killed in Tokyo.

clav

Someone once told me that if everyone likes you then you're doing something wrong.

But then what is the existence of Facebook? It's all about the number of likes!

I technically never asked for an invite though so it's fine. My only regret is that I'm missing out on potential food to learn to make.

People make food? I thought most second/third generation Asians these days just buy food due to their hectic schedules unless they are unemployed.

Top Bottom