• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Sober

I don't have tokenized friends, especially not token black friends. If anything my black friends are the same as the rest of my friends. We hang out a bit at the start then slowly drift away.

SystemBug

I don't have tokenized friends, especially not token black friends. If anything my black friends are the same as the rest of my friends. We hang out a bit at the start then slowly drift away.

sure there is that. i grew up in a fucking poor ass neighborhood so i had friends which reflected that.

i get fucking pissed as fuck when asian people are racist against black people.

and everybody does it. its fucking sickening.

some retarded ass bulshit gets posted right here even about america giving more of a fucking about black related issues than asian related issues.

SystemBug

Ehh.

It's true, though.

It isn't a zero sum game. When Asian Americans say this, it can go one of two ways. It can mean, wahwah black people should stfu because no one cares about us Asians, but it can also mean, please don't forget about us and stop thinking that because racism against Asians isn't talked about the same way it is with blacks, it means it's any less deserving of being talked about.

Pretty sure Cybit means the latter here, as do I whenever I bring up racism against Asians not being discussed about but still a thing.
Sure it's true but issues black people and native americans face have effect north america for centuries and ingrained in a systematic level that fucks them up at almost every opportunity.

the darker your skin is the worse it gets.

Growing up in the so called ghetto/hood the amount of shit I saw done on/against black people I'm never complaining about my struggles. I mean i did face racism but no where near as bad from what I've personally saw. Especially with cops I pretty much got a free past just being in a black neighborhood and not being black.

Sure it's true but issues black people and native americans face have effect north america for centuries and ingrained in a systematic level that fucks them up at almost every opportunity.

the darker your skin is the worse it gets.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that it's worse or equal, but it's really not a competition. It's been pretty damn bad for everyone, and one of the worst aspect of the Asian-American experience is that it feels like no one even wants to take steps to even acknowledge our issues. This is obviously not to blame other minorities and has a lot to do with the lack of education in this area, but it does sting when someone brings up something about minorities and then someone replies and equates "minorities" with blacks.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
oh well, who the fuck cares.

i totally disagree with the shit you have said so whatever.

i'm guessing many of you don't hang out with black people? right?

Grew up in a part of the country where there were not many other asians, so my friends were like 60/40 ratio of white to black. Seattle though...man, the city has some real location based segregation issues. I barely see black people out here; it pretty much has to purely do with where you live.

Link :eek:?

Ehh.

It's true, though.

It isn't a zero sum game. When Asian Americans say this, it can go one of two ways. It can mean, wahwah black people should stfu because no one cares about us Asians, but it can also mean, please don't forget about us and stop thinking that because racism against Asians isn't talked about the same way it is with blacks, it means it's any less deserving of being talked about.

Pretty sure Cybit means the latter here, as do I whenever I bring up racism against Asians not being discussed about but still a thing.

What bunny said. The reason that comment got me hot is because it's tied to this idea that Asian-Americans aren't "real" minorities that I would hear in St Louis during college. Especially in STL / Missouri, when I was growing up, it was basically whites, blacks, and everyone else.

I hate this idea that it has to be a zero-sum game. It isn't. It never has been.

Also, it got me hot because it was people protesting racism and then promptly being unintentionally racist themselves.

Yea.... I just skimmed the last page of that thread. Man.... I'll be that guy and just say that we are all in this together.

I do find it weird how hostile they were to Tim though :/ I feel bad for him. Somebody give him a hug please?

I generally don't like getting into racial discussions since I get too emotional and ignorant so I stay out of it (also mainly due to me not educated in racial issues overall).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yea.... I just skimmed the last page of that thread. Man.... I'll be that guy and just say that we are all in this together.

I do find it weird how hostile they were to Tim though :/ I feel bad for him. Somebody give him a hug please?

I generally don't like getting into racial discussions since I get too emotional and ignorant so I stay out of it (also mainly due to me not educated in racial issues overall).

I think I'm going to take your advice and more or less back out of those once I think I get some miscommunication cleared up on a series of posts.

zeemumu

I don't think that the world that we live in allows for the solution to that problem to be implemented. It would require tolerance multitasking, and that's too much to ask of a collective. It shouldn't be, but it is. Going one at a time takes decades at best. It's fairly frustrating.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't think that the world that we live in allows for the solution to that problem to be implemented. It would require tolerance multitasking, and that's too much to ask of a collective. It shouldn't be, but it is. Going one at a time takes decades at best. It's fairly frustrating.

I have a little more faith I suppose - I think the long-term impacts of the transportation & communication revolutions will have us being far more tolerant far sooner than anyone would have expected. I think the issues we're seeing now are even a reflection of that, as a) people are way more aware of things now then even 20 years ago, and b) that some of this is definitely backlash at the shrinking world in terms of culture and distance.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
it's a design internship position at microsoft. i don't know if it went well but i think i did good enough. im still shaking though

hardest interview I have ever done and it was only 30 minutes.

If it was an interview in Bellevue / Redmond area and you are going to be around through the evening, we can grab coffee or something if you want (especially if you could use some distractions)?

SystemBug

If it was an interview in Bellevue / Redmond area and you are going to be around through the evening, we can grab coffee or something if you want (especially if you could use some distractions)?

it was actually a phone interview. so im still here in canada.

my interviewer did tell me that they would head down to redmond from time to time from Vancouver so if i get the job id love to get coffee

zeemumu

Is it true that the streets are paved with Starbucks Gold cards?

The world of coffee seems like fun. But coffee does nothing for me, unfortunately :/

I.... Don't enjoy coffee. There are so many people I know who do and like zee, it does nothing for me. That applies to energy drinks too. My body thinks nothing of them. They don't help me at all lol

cdyhybrid

Is it true that the streets are paved with Starbucks Gold cards?

The world of coffee seems like fun. But coffee does nothing for me, unfortunately :/
Nah, fuck Starbucks. Can get better coffee for cheaper at most small coffee shops AND their CEO sold the Sonics to those fucks from the landfill north of Texas.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Can I hang out with y'all if I visit Seattle :D

Hell yeah! It is always funny how many of the Asian-GAF regulars live in the Pacific NW. I already got the OK from the missus to have bunny + mr. bunny come stay when they come out to visit.

it was actually a phone interview. so im still here in canada.

my interviewer did tell me that they would head down to redmond from time to time from Vancouver so if i get the job id love to get coffee

Hopefully you do! 2 of my roommates work at MS (and I live like a mile or two from the Redmond campus) - so definitely need to hang out if you get the job down here.

You have to eat a hot dog with cream cheese first.

I've never done that (I'm vegetarian), so hah!

Nah, fuck Starbucks. Can get better coffee for cheaper at most small coffee shops AND their CEO sold the Sonics to those fucks from the landfill north of Texas.

Lol, the bitterness of Sonics fans against Starbucks is sooo real (we have a Tully's in our office building, so I drink that primarily).

I just want to mention that Overwatch has awesome Asian characters no matter how stereotypical they are. But they did get one thing wrong..... Hanzo was a ninja (and sometimes depicted as a warrior) and Genji was a name that was removed and turned into Yoshistune Minamoto and he wasn't a ninja but a warrior.

Mei is super powerful, D. Va is also awesome with her mech suit, Genji has an awesome one hit kill ability, and Hanzo is the weakest of them all though lol. Don't get me wrong, bows are awesome as are dragons but the way they are used in Overwatch just makes him so weak hah.

I wonder if Blizzard will add in more historical Asian figures. Particularly Lu Bu or Genghis Khan though :|

You have to eat a hot dog with cream cheese first.
1168.gif

vern

Safeco is a great park.

Shame we don't have a major league team to play in it.

Safeco is awesome. Went there for the first time earlier this year.

In other news, I went to a Jay Chou concert this weekend. If anyone is a fan or wants a review of his current world tour show I'll write something up when I get a chance and post it here. It was a very interesting experience.

Safeco is awesome. Went there for the first time earlier this year.

In other news, I went to a Jay Chou concert this weekend. If anyone is a fan or wants a review of his current world tour show I'll write something up when I get a chance and post it here. It was a very interesting experience.

Where have I heard this guy before.... Was it an Chinese Drama?

If you guys and gals come up here, it's all pho places and ghetto Asian bars lol. The best places would be bars in downtown mpls.

The best pho restaurants around are Saigon on the east side of St. Paul due to the choices of meat for pho, Pho Ca Dao, Trieu Chau, and I would say iPho (mainly due to its popularity and being 'hip').

Our museums are aight at best, the redbull games are freakin' awesome though, but most of our events at clubs and bars mostly cater to Hmong people though (alot of rap and hip-hop and 80s rock and alt. rock).

We do have alot of other Asian events but I have nobody who wants to go with me so I can't experience them fully :( I need more friends...

Erheller

Ahhhhh, that Taiwan thread.

Meh, it's just jealousy, white guys generally have no trouble getting girls in Asia, it can and will piss off the local males who never stand a chance with the girls

White guys are too good for us Asian guys. Time to pack up, we just can't get girls.
What a racist moron.

The Facebook group is bunny's reverse harem.

I kind of want to see this now.

Top Bottom