• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

A) Yay for Texas BBQ
B) I feel like such a shrimp out here in Seattle, lol.
C) If it were anywhere but Asian culture, the idea that your parents banned dairy so you'd stop growing so that you'd be OK for meeting "good asian guys" would be so messed up it would be sad. But everyone read that in this thread and was like "hrm..sounds about right for something Asian parents would do."

Man I love our culture - but it is weeeeird sometimes lol.

How about crazy Chinese Faux Pas?

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Faux_pas_derived_from_Chinese_pronunciation

As a book (simplified Chinese: 书; traditional Chinese: 書; pinyin: shū) is a Mandarin homophone of "loss" (simplified Chinese: 输; traditional Chinese: 輸; pinyin: shū), carrying or looking at a book (simplified Chinese: 带书, 看书; traditional Chinese: 帶書, 看書; pinyin: dài shū, kàn shū) where people are taking a risk, such as gambling or investing in stocks, may be considered to invite bad luck and loss (simplified Chinese: 带输, 看输; traditional Chinese: 帶輸, 看輸; pinyin: dài shū, kàn shū). This bad luck does not apply to carrying or reading newspapers (simplified Chinese: 带报, 看报; traditional Chinese: 帶報, 看報; pinyin: dàibào, kànbào) as newspapers (simplified Chinese: 报纸; traditional Chinese: 報紙; pinyin: bàozhǐ) are not books

My father had such a hilariously irrational fear of books on mahjong nights.

Sober

aaaaah why didn't you find it enjoyable ? is it hard to find perma dance partner?

i never can dance im too inhibited

but i admire people who can ! any dance !

modern stuff is very cool *_____* but i love classical/ ball room dance. huhuhu so lovely, specially the men in tuxes asldhkajsfsdfgsdjhgfdjfgdfg

<3
Normal dancing is fun and shit. I wish I knew how to classical dance like even foxtrotting but I don't know anyone who will dance with me that way.

Also I dunno but I swear I read somewhere people hated Asian (or maybe Chinese men) dancing and shit cause they do it precisely to the beat like a bunch of robots or something. Like I read that was wtf confused, because people love it when I do t hat.

zeemumu

I remember a brief stint of breakdancing when I was a kid. Outside of that I don't really do any of the advanced stuff, at least not in public. I did learn to waltz once. That was interesting. I don't know if I retained my knowledge of the footwork though. Maybe one day I'll get invited to a masquerade ball and I can do it then.

Masquerade...paper faces on parade, masquerade. Hide your face so the world will never find you...

sober, hogyaaaaa O_____O people hate it when people dance precisely to the beat? woah~

i love the posture of the classical dancers. the women are so beautiful and the men are so .... manly

:x

that pose, when they are about to dance *____* and the man and the woman putting their hands so lightly on each otherrrrr uggyaaaaaa... just waiting for the music to begin *_____*

zeemumu, at least you dance in private... i dont even do that haha~ i wanna get invited to a ball ! i'll just lurk and starry eye at everyone *_____*

5'7, 200+ lbs.

I need to lose plenty of weight, but it sucks when both your parents are great cooks!

For me it was calorie control. Cooking for yourself might sound good but it would never work with my schedule. McDonald's grilled artisan chicken sandwiches worked for me. 370 calories and works for lunch/dinner. Protein bar at 190 calories for breakfast. I also eat 1 almond every 30 minutes to keep up my metabolism. Then throw in 100 crunches before every meal and an hour of swimming 3 times a week.

Of course, this allows for cheat meals/days but that's the general plan that worked for me. And you have to be comfortable with feeling hungry most of the time!

aaaaah why didn't you find it enjoyable ? is it hard to find perma dance partner?

i never can dance im too inhibited

but i admire people who can ! any dance !

modern stuff is very cool *_____* but i love classical/ ball room dance. huhuhu so lovely, specially the men in tuxes asldhkajsfsdfgsdjhgfdjfgdfg

<3

LOL, I practiced some Gangnam style with my mother as she really enjoyed that. My dad just looked at her and shook her head.

zeemumu

Hardest part is the initial hurdle of "I'm hungry. *insert junk food here* sounds really good right now, but I should eat healthy, but the junk food is cheaper."

If you can get past that hurdle and physically buy/make the healthy food then the rest is easy.

SystemBug

I look completely different today than I did last year. It's quite easy actually. Nobody really tells you how easy it is to lose weight. You just have to put in a little bit of work

zeemumu

Bunny I don't know how you stay in the MOBA community. The odds of me getting through my match without my teammates becoming divas and attempting to convince each other to kill themselves. That's mostly for League, though. HotS seems to be better.

cdyhybrid

Bunny I don't know how you stay in the MOBA community. The odds of me getting through my match without my teammates becoming divas and attempting to convince each other to kill themselves. That's mostly for League, though. HotS seems to be better.

Play DOTA, those other games will seem like group hug sessions.

Sober

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is the most authentic (SoCal) Asian-American experience on TV ever.
Last episode probably had more Filipino actors on a single set in English language television than all the years leading up to it. Also I noticed they shot actual scenes in an Asian supermarket.

I love how the DOTA community has gotten to the point where everything is just automatically construed as an insult. Speaking of DOTA, who here plays? I started playing again about a month ago after I had quit for a year and my mmr has tanked so badly (sub 3K whereas I used to be mid 3K). I'm currently entertaining the idea of getting coaching.

Last episode probably had more Filipino actors on a single set in English language television than all the years leading up to it. Also I noticed they shot actual scenes in an Asian supermarket.

Asian supermarket scene was amazing. I could smell the smells through the TV.

cdyhybrid

I love how the DOTA community has gotten to the point where everything is just automatically construed as an insult. Speaking of DOTA, who here plays? I started playing again about a month ago after I had quit for a year and my mmr has tanked so badly (sub 3K whereas I used to be mid 3K). I'm currently entertaining the idea of getting coaching.

I do!

MOBA's on the whole are a recipe for toxicity. Team-based multiplayer, kills being the largest measured metric, and games that can run for an hour just add to it. There's little to no toxicity in Halo or CoD because games are fast, short, and your goal (most of the time) is just to kill people. Add in any type of strategy or coordination and you're going to have a bad time.

I only play DOTA with friends now. No one cares if you random Meepo and feed because you can't micro.

suzu

Moba communities scare me. lol. I'm not good and I don't do voice chat with randoms so the genre is a no go for me. I used to play a little bit of Dota back when it was WC3 custom games though.

Overwatch seems fun.

cdyhybrid

You don't really need voice chat for random games. Sure, it helps, but pings and the chat wheel cover 95% of the stuff you'd need to say.

And yeah, if asshole teammates bother you, it's not the genre for you :p

You could just auto ignore everyone and not miss anything though.

Edit: Having a good day? Let me fix that!

Mayor of Roanoke praising Japanese internment camps during WW2 &#128064;

https://twitter.com/wesleylowery/status/667076027198361601

zeemumu

Every time I change something in this code and hit the run button, I expect my laptop to explode. It's not enough for me anymore that the code compiles on the first go. Exceptions-handling is a pain in my ass.

On the bright/weird side, every time I assign a task to one of my teammates I end up working on the same task in my spare time and have it done by the time we meet up again.

On the brighter side, I'm starting to become disinterested in junk food and it's almost December which means that it's almost time for a Harry Potter marathon. I need to finish the Star Wars marathon first. We're not quite done yet.

I also got into a heated debate over WoW lore with a friend at a birthday party and I won. WoW may have too much lore for any one man to keep track of but I know more than enough to hold my own in most debates.

Sober

You don't really need voice chat for random games. Sure, it helps, but pings and the chat wheel cover 95% of the stuff you'd need to say.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most is that he spelled ISIS as Isis, so maybe he thinks America is fighting off an Egyptian goddess.

On the bright/weird side, every time I assign a task to one of my teammates I end up working on the same task in my spare time and have it done by the time we meet up again.
I used to work like that, but I think I delegate more now. The problem I kept running into was that, as I did the work and people got used to it, they eventually started to rely on me to do things for them, and then when I couldn't do it later on, no one could.

"Japanese Foreign Nationals" ..smh..of course he can't call them by what they really are, Japanese-Americans...

Sober

Man can we go back to white people calling Chinese people celestials? It's about as racist as Oriental (but not as much) but sounds waaay sweeter to be called one.

Probably why they stopped.

Man can we go back to white people calling Chinese people celestials? It's about as racist as Oriental (but not as much) but sounds waaay sweeter to be called one.

Probably why they stopped.

I google celestials and get this. Thanks Marvel Universe!

The Celestials are a star-faring race of humanoid aliens who possess untold cosmic power. Standing two thousand feet tall, the Celestials are clad in full body armor. No Earth being has ever seen what they look like beneath their armor or knows their origin.

Celestials_Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_3.png

cdyhybrid

Not gonna lie, celestial sounds pretty awesome. Probably because it's no longer used to demean people and has lost that connotation.

Yo how tall are all my Asians here?

I will be here representing my short Asians standing at 5'3". Short and semi-proud of it but these Hmong girls around here are around my height so it ain't no biggie hah

Also, happy spoopy day y'all! (Friday the 13th!!!)

BAM! I beat you by one full inch baby! SUCK IT!!! 5'4" master race here!

Sober

Hilariously: Minority Report flopped hard and is guaranteed to die after 10 episodes, but a Limitless TV series has a full season order and is probably some of the best TV I've seen this year.

So this could go either way, honestly. I've gotten past the "why does this need to exist" stage of these things because I want to be doing that one day so I don't need all that negative energy.

Although this I won't argue is kinda stacked hard with the lack of the principal actors from the movie mostly. They need to capture the same energy and humour somehow to maybe get a chance for people to keep with it in spite of the lack of Chan and Tucker. Big hurdles.

suzu

Hilariously: Minority Report flopped hard and is guaranteed to die after 10 episodes, but a Limitless TV series has a full season order and is probably some of the best TV I've seen this year.

So this could go either way, honestly. I've gotten past the "why does this need to exist" stage of these things because I want to be doing that one day so I don't need all that negative energy.

Although this I won't argue is kinda stacked hard with the lack of the principal actors from the movie mostly. They need to capture the same energy and humour somehow to maybe get a chance for people to keep with it in spite of the lack of Chan and Tucker. Big hurdles.

I'm actually happy to see two POC as the main leads, but it looks pretty bad from that sneak peek. I would love to be wrong though. lol

Sober

I'm actually happy to see two POC as the main leads, but it looks pretty bad from that sneak peek. I would love to be wrong though. lol
Those sneak peak trailers are cut more for advertisers to show what exactly they're getting. But surprise surprise you condense a 42 or so minute episode into a 3 minute trailer you're leaving a bunch out. Also most of the run time of a TV show generally involves people in a room talking to each other which doesn't make good trailer fodder with the exception of whatever truly pithy lines you have at the ready.

zeemumu

I don't know where we're having it this year. If it's here, then the answer is that the morning will be filled with a lot of cooking and cleaning, then in the afternoon people head over and we all eat and talk n' shit, then at around 8pm when the party starts to wind down and people start to leave I may or may not have to brave Black Friday searching for gifts. Hopefully Amazon prevents me from doing so. The only certainty is that my fridge will be full of ham and turkey for weeks.

I also need to come up with a plan to steal as much peach cobbler as I can before my family starts to divide up the leftovers.

Top Bottom