• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Food talk- tried the Sun Noodle miso ramen kit over the weekend and my fiance and I were surprised how good it was

20140422-sun-ramen-brands-taste-test-01.jpg

Add some menma (bamboo shoots), steamed bean sprouts, corn, fried egg (didn't have time to soft boil) and chasu (store bought- I'll try to make it myself next time)...Turned out to be a really satisfying meal. Actually better than some ramen restaurants I've been to (I was surprised how good the soup base was)..

clav

Food talk- tried the Sun Noodle miso ramen kit over the weekend and my fiance and I were surprised how good it was.

Nice. I posted that suggestion earlier in this thread.

I like the Tonkotsu flavor the best. It sells out very fast in some Nijiya marts.

YMMV as everyone likes different things.

Sun Noodle supplies a lot of Ramen restaurants out there. You may notice some restaurants ask their customers either "wavy" or "straight" noodles.

Nice. I posted that suggestion earlier in this thread.

I like the Tonkotsu flavor the best. It sells out very fast in some Nijiya marts.

YMMV as everyone likes different things.

Sun Noodle supplies a lot of Ramen restaurants out there. You may notice some restaurants ask their customers either "wavy" or "straight" noodles.

Yeah it's why I tried it in the first place. I noticed that Tsujita Annex gets their noodles for their Tsukemen from here too but I can never seem to find that style for sale (it's a lot thicker - more closer to Northern style Chinese noodles). I would love to use those noodles for something like beef noodle soup.

SRG01

Yeah, I'll be there in April. Today was the day I sold my coupe and bought an SUV. I knew the day would come.

And one day, that SUV will probably end up being a minivan. All roads lead to owning a minivan. I just hope Tesla makes a sweet one one day.

A coupe's not enough to hold everything?? O_O

robox

stop raggin' on minivans, yo! they're awesome!

i'm not married, don't want to get married anytime soon, but i'd get a minivan. they're great for ski trips, bike trips, camping trips, road trips. things that are great before having to take care of kids...

I am now officially part of China GAF. Living there for a (few) year(s) for work. We'll see how that goes.

The air here is very strange. It's 10% oxygen, 40% pollution, and 50% cigarette smoke. We should rename China to Cigarette Land.

i'm not married, don't want to get married anytime soon, but i'd get a minivan. they're great for ski trips, bike trips, camping trips, road trips. things that are great before having to take care of kids...

True but they're not great as a bachelor ride. Ain't no girl want a dude who's main ride is a mini-van.

@SRG, you can come on down to your neighbors in Minnesota. We're basically Canadians right?

We have plenty of Asian super stores in the Twin Cities along with restaurants, buffets, and farmers markets.

Already 2 months have gone by signaling my return to classes come next week. Eh, atleast it's only 2 more semesters till I graduate from college.

But yeah spent my break by ruining my life with returning to World of Warcraft after a 5 year abstinence, part time job which won't give me hours, and dating which both feels awesome and weird at the same time.

All in all, I don't wanna school.

New Year's is in 2 and a half weeks :eek:

I am now officially part of China GAF. Living there for a (few) year(s) for work. We'll see how that goes.

The air here is very strange. It's 10% oxygen, 40% pollution, and 50% cigarette smoke. We should rename China to Cigarette Land.

The Middle Kingdom of Smoke

I'm not a big car kind of guy. It just feels so ponderous and unwieldy (not sluggish, though, since those things have insane engine power nowadays). I've always valued agility over heft, though I will grant that my old Accord coupe was not the most agile car I've ever had, since it was friggin' 190.9 inches long--which is 7.8 inches longer than my current SUV--but at least it was low to the ground.

But you've got lots of room in the back. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yeah, but cleaning that up sucks.

HEY ME TOO.

Horde/Alliance? A few of us in here play on Dragonmaw.

Whoooo! I'm Horde fo' life, on that note also debating on getting a Horde crest hoodie and/or t-shirt since I was gifted money on Amazon. I play on Wyrmrest Accord as it was the server I last played on/left back when I quit WoW during WotLK.

But you've got lots of room in the back. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lmao, that's true.

If someone completely judges you on what kind of car you drive, then you need to find someone else unless you like those kind of people.

Girls don't really care what kind of ride a dude has tbh. It was more of a joke. Vans are awesome. My best friend had a van, we.... Uh.... We had some good memories in that van before we moved on to another ride ;_;

SRG01

True but they're not great as a bachelor ride. Ain't no girl want a dude who's main ride is a mini-van.

@SRG, you can come on down to your neighbors in Minnesota. We're basically Canadians right?

We have plenty of Asian super stores in the Twin Cities along with restaurants, buffets, and farmers markets.

Haha, I'm considerably farther north than most Canadians. Nowhere near the 49th parallel.

IIRC, I believe we're around the same latitude as Harbin and Moscow.

vern

What's up Asian-GAF. Back with a few more photos, and a shameless plug/call for help at the bottom if you don't wanna see it skip. Fair warning.

Kathmandu by Eric, on Flickr

Kathmandu Streets by Eric, on Flickr

Kathmandu Streets by Eric, on Flickr

So I'm in Kathmandu I mentioned before as part of a project. A local theater company is putting on the first "western" opera ever to be performed in Nepal, and they liked my work and asked me to be the documentary photographer for the project. The opera will have local performers, as well as local craftsmen, artisans, etc building sets, designing costumes, blah blah.. It will help give a lot of Nepalese work (and money) which is much needed here, and will also promote the arts and tourism in Nepal. It is still very much recovering from the earthquake. There are large tent cities here, lots of times without electricity (usually half the day or so there is no power), lack of running water, etc.... Um so yeah, I'm here voluntarily (my housing is covered, for the most part) but I am trying to raise money for my portion of the project. I'm not asking for donations, I'll give you pretty sweet art for your contribution (IMO), as well as other rewards depending on your tier. The photos above are personal work, but may be a part of the project itself too. I've been photographing meetings between locals and the theater company director and others involved, but haven't shared any of that yet. My Indiegogo is here:

http://igg.me/at/ericg

Even if you can't contribute please check the link anyway, I appreciate any feedback on it! Or feel free to share it on FB or wherever. Thanks a lot :D

clav

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193137257&postcount=43

Anime avatar of little girl. Check.
Ignorant, eurocentric comment. Check.

Maybe I'm just used to what I hear. I think that's just a question. Not that bad. South Korea after all is #1 for cosmetic surgery hence why people fawn over their KPOP stars.

Speaking of eye slants, there's a stereotype I heard about slanted eyes (edit: eye folds) and country origin among Asians. Wide eyes is one region where as extra folds is another.

I think what's more offenseive is rather then questioning, people try to pass facts like Asian women swarming over white men because of privilege.

I've seen some people who have tried to do a hook up with some relatives believing this stereotype, which is really creepy, awkward, and absolutely uncomfortable. Some have to go through lengths of deleting online presence and social networking.

suzu

Some people make it sound like (or actually believe) a majority of East Asians have monolids and small eyes. It's silly.

Like, plastic surgery is out of control in SK, but it's just foolish to believe that Asia's beauty standards is entirely influenced by western standards.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Maybe I'm just used to what I hear. I think that's just a question. Not that bad. South Korea after all is #1 for cosmetic surgery hence why people fawn over their KPOP stars.

Speaking of eye slants, there's a stereotype I heard about slanted eyes (edit: eye folds) and country origin among Asians. Wide eyes is one region where as extra folds is another.

I think what's more offenseive is rather then questioning, people try to pass facts like Asian women swarming over white men because of privilege.

I've seen some people who have tried to do a hook up with some relatives believing this stereotype, which is really creepy, awkward, and absolutely uncomfortable. Some have to go through lengths of deleting online presence and social networking.

This probably sound like a rant, but here I go... I sort of see something like that very often at work or back when I was at school. Younger innocent looking and sweet sounding Asian girls attract guys' attention very easily. Meanwhile, if you actually pay attention and observe, you will hear how they all sound extremely different in their mother tongue compared to how they speak in English. I understand that language barrier is obviously an issue. I experienced that myself when I was younger and first immigrated here. But how I acted and spoke in English was very much similar to how I acted and spoke in my mother tongue, just maybe speak slower with terrible grammar back then, haha. Anyways, but I see some Asian girls will speak extra sweet and act dumb in English. However, they clearly don't do that in their own mother tongue speaking with people of the same nationalities. Recent example I've seen is currently this group of Korean girls. All roughly mid-twenties and older. They pretty much only hang out with each others at work but can all speak English. So obviously sometimes they do interact in English with non-Koreans at work. But they way they speak to fellow Koreans and non-Koreans are totally different. But hey, guys totally dig their innocent vibe since they got that bit completely perfected. Meanwhile, a Korean friend of mine who is not part of that group tells me they talk shit about people behind their back in Korean so nobody knows the better. Stuff like this really disgusts me but there is nothing that can be done about it. People will remain thinking they're these super nice and cute girls, and obviously it's not like these people go out of their way and backstab people, so they are after all harmless. However, I've personally even been dragged into a drama by one of those girls that got created out of nothingness. After that,I decided to never even bother starting any conversation with any of them as I detest drama. So tell me, Asian-GAF, you guys notice similar things happening with slightly FOB-ish Asians or am I crazy ?

cdyhybrid

This probably sound like a rant, but here I go... I sort of see something like that very often at work or back when I was at school. Younger innocent looking and sweet sounding Asian girls attract guys' attention very easily. Meanwhile, if you actually pay attention and observe, you will hear how they all sound extremely different in their mother tongue compared to how they speak in English. I understand that language barrier is obviously an issue. I experienced that myself when I was younger and first immigrated here. But how I acted and spoke in English was very much similar to how I acted and spoke in my mother tongue, just maybe speak slower with terrible grammar back then, haha. Anyways, but I see some Asian girls will speak extra sweet and act dumb in English. However, they clearly don't do that in their own mother tongue speaking with people of the same nationalities. Recent example I've seen is currently this group of Korean girls. All roughly mid-twenties and older. They pretty much only hang out with each others at work but can all speak English. So obviously sometimes they do interact in English with non-Koreans at work. But they way they speak to fellow Koreans and non-Koreans are totally different. But hey, guys totally dig their innocent vibe since they got that bit completely perfected. Meanwhile, a Korean friend of mine who is not part of that group tells me they talk shit about people behind their back in Korean so nobody knows the better. Stuff like this really disgusts me but there is nothing that can be done about it. People will remain thinking they're these super nice and cute girls, and obviously it's not like these people go out of their way and backstab people, so they are after all harmless. However, I've personally even been dragged into a drama by one of those girls that got created out of nothingness. After that,I decided to never even bother starting any conversation with any of them as I detest drama. So tell me, Asian-GAF, you guys notice similar things happening with slightly FOB-ish Asians or am I crazy ?

This sort of thing has nothing to do with their ethnicity or their nationality. You see it everywhere.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Anecdote - few years ago my best friend out here, my mom, myself, and cousin + his wife went to Lake Tahoe for a weekend. Best friend is a very attractive white woman (I'm an Indian dude), and worked in Korea for a couple of years as a teacher (speaks Korean fluently). We're sitting lake side watching the fireworks, and all of a sudden, she gets really angry. I ask her what it's about, and she tells me that there are two old Korean women sitting behind us shit talking us about being an inter-racial couple in Korean. I actually had to stop her from remarking back at them in Korean.

This sort of thing has nothing to do with their ethnicity or their nationality. You see it everywhere.

Truth. Said best friend and I used to go for walks 2-3x a week at Greenlake Park here in Seattle - and the dirtiest looks we would get would be from old asian couples. (Indians especially). In college, my girlfriend (who is white) and I would get weird looks all the time from asians, blacks, hispanics, whites...the whole damn spectrum.

Also - anyone know what bunny got banned for this time?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

I suppose that is true. I guess my experience is just with Asian girls since that's something I'm more sensitive to it ? Another story was that back in school, we have these huge projects due end of term. Well, an international Chinese girl from China has trouble with English so obviously she needed help with studying here. Another cute and innocent looking girl who talks in the most sweet way possible in English. I knew what it's like to not know the language and can speak Chinese, so from the very beginning, I tried to help her with studying as much as I could. Anyways, then a guy started getting interested in her and started helping her out as well. I didn't think much about it but obviously we all know he has a crush on her. So I just asked her as a friend how she felt about him. She flat out told me that she's going to use him to complete the project. I told her she shouldn't do that and shouldn't use people like that. However, she was determined to do so and so I started distancing myself from her. By the end of the term, the guy basically helped her complete her project and barely completed his own project. Then she went back to China and dumped him and he eventually had to go back to his own home country too because after graduation, he couldn't find a job due to his substandard completion of his project. Basically he's a willing participant to get screwed out of promising careers while studying internationally here. I have small sympathy for the guy and just shook my head in disgust at the whole situation.

Maybe I'm jealous that I cannot speak as sweetly as these girls, but I cannot imagine having the mentality to screw people over like that. I also get that people obviously all put a face on, but some are more masterful than others. I get really scared of those people and stay away. Also, don't get me started on the drama that came out of nowhere just by virtue of me inviting one Korean girl at work to watch a movie, The Martian, with me a few months ago...

I suppose that is true. I guess my experience is just with Asian girls since that's something I'm more sensitive to it ? Another story was that back in school, we have these huge projects due end of term. Well, an international Chinese girl from China has trouble with English so obviously she needed help with studying here. Another cute and innocent looking girl who talks in the most sweet way possible in English. I knew what it's like to not know the language and can speak Chinese, so from the very beginning, I tried to help her with studying as much as I could. Anyways, then a guy started getting interested in her and started helping her out as well. I didn't think much about it but obviously we all know he has a crush on her. So I just asked her as a friend how she felt about him. She flat out told me that she's going to use him to complete the project. I told her she shouldn't do that and shouldn't use people like that. However, she was determined to do so and so I started distancing myself from her. By the end of the term, the guy basically helped her complete her project and barely completed his own project. Then she went back to China and dumped him and he eventually had to go back to his own home country too because after graduation, he couldn't find a job due to his substandard completion of his project. Basically he's a willing participant to get screwed out of promising careers while studying internationally here. I have small sympathy for the guy and just shook my head in disgust at the whole situation.

Maybe I'm jealous that I cannot speak as sweetly as these girls, but I cannot imagine having the mentality to screw people over like that. I also get that people obviously all put a face on, but some are more masterful than others. I get really scared of those people and stay away. Also, don't get me started on the drama that came out of nowhere just by virtue of me inviting one Korean girl at work to watch a movie, The Martian, with me a few months ago...

Just curious did you grow up without sisters, female cousins, and aunts?

That has nothing to do with Asians or Asian girls at all. That's just humans being humans be it a good human being or a bad human being.

Sure for you, you may experience it more with Asians and Asian girls but that doesn't mean that that's how they all act.

Timbuktu

What you say is probably true is some cases, but I think the 'innocent looking and sweet sounding' aspect is partly projection sometimes. It might not always be deliberate or a facade. I know that my mother would struggle to ever sound angry in English even when she wants to. When my gf gets angry at me, she would always switch back to her native tongue. And I personally feel slightly different when I am using different languages; English just can't express certain things in the same way and languages like Korean and Cantonese always sound more blunt.

Like the others said, you get these kind of people in every group, so I would stay away from stereotyping.

Anecdote - few years ago my best friend out here, my mom, myself, and cousin + his wife went to Lake Tahoe for a weekend. Best friend is a very attractive white woman (I'm an Indian dude), and worked in Korea for a couple of years as a teacher (speaks Korean fluently). We're sitting lake side watching the fireworks, and all of a sudden, she gets really angry. I ask her what it's about, and she tells me that there are two old Korean women sitting behind us shit talking us about being an inter-racial couple in Korean. I actually had to stop her from remarking back at them in Korean.

Truth. Said best friend and I used to go for walks 2-3x a week at Greenlake Park here in Seattle - and the dirtiest looks we would get would be from old asian couples. (Indians especially). In college, my girlfriend (who is white) and I would get weird looks all the time from asians, blacks, hispanics, whites...the whole damn spectrum.

Also - anyone know what bunny got banned for this time?

Geez I've never heard people talking shit about interracial couples other than the half-joking lament of Asian guys my age on the Asian girl/white guy thing we saw a lot of at UCLA. Actually, nearly all my Asian girl friends married white men. Of course, all my Indian guy friends married white women, so there's that.

Speaking of that, I wrapped up Master of None and saw Meet the Patels on Netflix over the weekend. It was really interesting and I highly recommend both. I'm pretty sure one of my Indian friends basically went through the plot of Meet the Patels.

SRG01

Geez I've never heard people talking shit about interracial couples other than the half-joking lament of Asian guys my age on the Asian girl/white guy thing we saw a lot of at UCLA. Actually, nearly all my Asian girl friends married white men. Of course, all my Indian guy friends married white women, so there's that.

Speaking of that, I wrapped up Master of None and saw Meet the Patels on Netflix over the weekend. It was really interesting and I highly recommend both. I'm pretty sure one of my Indian friends basically went through the plot of Meet the Patels.

Most of my extended family would gossip like crazy if I married anyone other than a Cantonese or Asian woman. It's definitely a serious issue.

The only person who doesn't seem to care is my paternal grandmother, because she just wants more great-grandchildren :D

Most of my extended family would gossip like crazy if I married anyone other than a Cantonese or Asian woman. It's definitely a serious issue.

The only person who doesn't seem to care is my paternal grandmother, because she just wants more great-grandchildren :D

I have never faced this before and find it fascinating. Meet the Patels definitely deals with this though and did show reasons for this thinking. Made me almost sympathetic to the older generation that is stuck on that sort of thing.

But yeah, already getting the the hints about grandchildren from my dad. My mom though, is like, having children can be pretty terrible so don't feel like you need to do that. I'm not sure which stance insults me more.

Different languages have different inflections. As for the shit talking behind people's back, well that's universal.

Top Bottom