• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

So you're going to miss the trip to Washington? You Minnesota people can't seem to make anything when Washington is involved can you?

3099167.gif

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...r-stabbing-ex-uw-student-wants-his-life-back/

jesus christ this dude had his life fucking ruined by UW. Insane.

Dayum, his life is basically ruined now. Where ever he goes, people will always refer to him as a women beater even though he acted in self-defence (and rightfully so, dude was getting his ass jumped and beat by a dude way bigger than him).

I hope he gets treated like any other decent human being once he returns to the UW and not be an outcast (the chances are extremely high).

Zoe

We went to a party, but it was pretty lackluster. There actually wasn't much Chinese stuff since like half of the people there were white.

I felt bad for the guy who dumped vinegar (from the dumplings) over everything thinking it was soy sauce :lol

SystemBug

We went to a party, but it was pretty lackluster. There actually wasn't much Chinese stuff since like half of the people there were white.

I felt bad for the guy who dumped vinegar (from the dumplings) over everything thinking it was soy sauce :lol

how the fuck do you confuse vinegar with soy sauce?

Zoe

how the fuck do you confuse vinegar with soy sauce?
It wasn't straight up vinegar, but that mix of soy sauce and vinegar for the dumplings. I don't know what the normal ratio is, but this one had to have been at least 2/3 vinegar.

suzu

My family tends to eat a lot of jai (buddha's delight / vegetarian dish), chicken, and tangyuan (sweet glutinous rice dumplings) for CNY.

dramatis

So people living in and around NYC has probably heard about the police officer Peter Liang being convicted for shooting Akai Gurley (manslaughter).

This morning my mom mentioned him, and talked about how pitiful Liang was. In rough paraphrasing, she said, "Every single time [a police officer shoots somebody] nothing happens, but this one time it does they use a Chinese person as a scapegoat. Chinese people really have no status in this country."

To be honest, when I first saw the headline, I did think, "I bet he was convicted because he is not white". But I can reason out the irrational feeling (maybe it's right, maybe it's not), whereas I'm not too sure I can discuss this with my mother without her being racist (hell I'm feeling like I'm being racist myself!).

I guess I don't really have a point, I just feel unease. I'm kind of hoping this event will encourage the Chinese population in NYC to become more active in politics, and maybe help add to the calls for change to the police department. The trial revealed poor standards in police training, and also a lack of discipline in the officers themselves.

Sorry for the heavy subject that is not food.

jmood88

So people living in and around NYC has probably heard about the police officer Peter Liang being convicted for shooting Akai Gurley (manslaughter).

This morning my mom mentioned him, and talked about how pitiful Liang was. In rough paraphrasing, she said, "Every single time [a police officer shoots somebody] nothing happens, but this one time it does they use a Chinese person as a scapegoat. Chinese people really have no status in this country."

To be honest, when I first saw the headline, I did think, "I bet he was convicted because he is not white". But I can reason out the irrational feeling (maybe it's right, maybe it's not), whereas I'm not too sure I can discuss this with my mother without her being racist (hell I'm feeling like I'm being racist myself!).

I guess I don't really have a point, I just feel unease. I'm kind of hoping this event will encourage the Chinese population in NYC to become more active in politics, and maybe help add to the calls for change to the police department. The trial revealed poor standards in police training, and also a lack of discipline in the officers themselves.

There we stories about this when he was first charged. He's definitely a piece of shit who deserved to get convicted but it is interesting how, after so many high-profile cases of police brutality, that the two people who have been charged with anything have been an Asian man and a black woman (from the Eric Garner case).

My understanding is that, even though his victim was black, he had no idea, since he was just firing into the dark, and because of this, it's really more of an issue of reckless behavior than of institutional racism, so it's probably easier to convict him without admitting systemic problems.

On a slightly-related topic, there's this: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7273

Harvard med students demand diversity, but no more Asians please

HHarvard Medical School (HMS) students styling themselves the “Racial Justice Coalition” are demanding that their next Dean be “committed to social justice both inside and outside our community.”

According to The Boston Globe, Asians and Pacific Islanders are not mentioned in the petition because they are not considered “underrepresented” by the Association of American Medical Colleges. As of 2012, the two groups together constituted 18.9 percent of the HMS student body.

Every poc is okay but no more Asians. We have enough Asians as it is.

Seems legit.

I also made the mistake of reading the comments. I need a beer now brb.

suzu

Feel free to post non-food related posts. o/

I agree that he should be charged, and yeah I can't help but notice the inconsistency in who is actually being held responsible in these cases.

cdyhybrid

My understanding is that, even though his victim was black, he had no idea, since he was just firing into the dark, and because of this, it's really more of an issue of reckless behavior than of institutional racism, so it's probably easier to convict him without admitting systemic problems.

On a slightly-related topic, there's this: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7273
If they're going to block white people too I might be able to get on board.

What's up Asian GAF. Haven't been around in a while.

The wife and I are going to multiple cities in China and Japan soon and need your food recs. We're hitting up Shanghai, Beijing, Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo. So yeah, if you got any good suggestions, hit me with 'em.

StMeph

Why? Asian food is amazing with vegetable dishes. Shit I made stir fried string beans with garlic, and a splash of mirin. Simple and turned out way better than I thought...

Have to agree here. There's such a long history of vegetarian diets in Asian subcultures and religions that it's pretty well-developed in terms of cuisine. There are a lot of great vegetarian options in Asian food.

Cels

i am not really a part of the community here but i feel like sharing something that happened recently

i am an attorney and i do research for the court in my county. we had a conference where all the judges in my division went for training, and i had to attend too.

i was lining up for lunch along with all the judges and the judge in front of me was making small talk with me, asking me how long i'd been with the court, where i had worked previously, how long i'd been practicing, typical stuff like that. but then he asked me if i knew this other court attorney (who from her name is obviously in the same asian racial subgroup as me) based in a courthouse 30 miles away. i said "no, i don't know her," and left it at that, but it was really strange.

i was taken aback as to why he would ask me if i knew that other attorney. i tried not to immediately jump to the "he thinks everyone from my racial group knows each other" conclusion but thinking back to our conversation there's no other reason that he would have mentioned this other attorney. it wasn't like "oh, you used to work here? well this other attorney did too, do you know her?" or any type of connection he might have gleaned from our short conversation.

this judge was on the younger side too, i wouldn't place him above 55, so i can't even give him the "well he's from a different time" excuse.

That happens alot to hmong people. Are you hmong? I haven't noticed that happening at all to other Asians tbh. Does this happen to other Asians?

The only thing I have noticed and hear often is the do you know so and so (different last name), so and so is related to me by this or that. So we're related, small world huh?

It is also more common for Asians with a smaller group of names. Hmong people have this issue since we don't have a wide variety of last names. So many other people will ask you that question, "Lor? Dude, I know a Lor. She works at Target. Do you know her?"

It's annoying but they really don't know any better. Educate them and remind them that just because we have the same last names don't mean we are related or connected at all. It's another form of all Asians look alike but slightly more disguised so it doesn't sound racist.

To go back onto an older topic, I went to this vegan place over the weekend called Au Lac, and it was really good. You should definitely try it out if you're vegetarian and in the LA/OC area.

So...one of the candidates running for LA County Supervisor just sent me an email in all Chinese. Which I can't read. Thanks.

夏樂柏參議員和夫人何美湄祝您闔家元宵佳節快樂萬事圓圓滿滿!

祝福您
闔家元宵佳節快樂
萬事圓圓滿滿!

祝您猴年
猴運連連 步步高陞
好運亨通 財源廣進
事業有成 萬事順意
闔家歡樂喜洋洋

Wishing You a Happy Lantern Festival
and a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous
Chinese New Year of the Monkey