• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Deep down in my locked up hatred (angry Asian man) I truly believe that Liang was put away just because he wasn't white.

But I really don't know. I almost typed out an emotional response because that's just how I am sadly. Luckily I didn't. This just seperates Asians more from other poc in my point of view. When other poc sometimes didn't really consider us as poc. We are stuck in a rock and a hard place. If I wanted to type up something without any facts and figures I would but I know that gets me nowhere and us nowhere because it's just not true.

Should we, as Asians, continue to be the ones on the sidelines and cheering on our brethrens and sisters of color to get to where we are? I don't know. Being in the Twin Cities where poc are almost all supporting each other, it's hard to find out why we are beefing with each other. Black people, Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans all don't get in the way of each other because we know what will happen. We all respect each other.

Urgh, there I go again with emotion. Sorry folks, I'm backing out ;_;

jmood88

Deep down in my locked up hatred (angry Asian man) I truly believe that Liang was put away just because he wasn't white.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he did everything wrong, which culminated in him killing an innocent man, then refusing to administer aid and instead call his union rep to figure out what story he could craft to justify how much of a piece of shit he was.

But I really don't know. I almost typed out an emotional response because that's just how I am sadly. Luckily I didn't. This just seperates Asians more from other poc in my point of view. When other poc sometimes didn't really consider us as poc. We are stuck in a rock and a hard place. If I wanted to type up something without any facts and figures I would but I know that gets me nowhere and us nowhere because it's just not true.
What has separated many Asians from other people of color has been a complete lack of interest in fighting against white supremacy and buying into the privilege that certain Asian Americans are lucky enough to have. I'm an Asian man but I'm also a black man, so I don't get to just ignore all the shit that happens to black people on a daily basis, which is what I see far too often from Asian people and it's a shame.

Should we, as Asians, continue to be the ones on the sidelines and cheering on our brethrens and sisters of color to get to where we are? I don't know. Being in the Twin Cities where poc are almost all supporting each other, it's hard to find out why we are beefing with each other. Black people, Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans all don't get in the way of each other because we know what will happen. We all respect each other.

Urgh, there I go again with emotion. Sorry folks, I'm backing out ;_;
Sitting on the sidelines is what has allowed the relationship between Asians and other minority groups to suffer. The sooner that Asian groups learn that their privilege can be taken away just as fast as it's given, the better off everyone will be.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he did everything wrong, which culminated in him killing an innocent man, then refusing to administer aid and instead call his union rep to figure out what story he could craft to justify how much of a piece of shit he was.
I think the outrage is that, if he were white, he'd be walking away from this. He's still wrong and deserves his sentence, though.

jmood88

I think the outrage is that, if he were white, he'd be walking away from this. He's still wrong and deserves his sentence, though.
And that's a stupid-ass thing to protest. If you want to protest white nypd officers not facing consequences for their actions, then that's great, but trying to put this guy forward as a victim is fucking insane. He's an awful human being who has ruined a family forever.

And that's a stupid-ass thing to protest. If you want to protest white nypd officers not facing consequences for their actions, then that's great, but trying to put this guy forward as a victim is fucking insane. He's an awful human being who has ruined a family forever.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying that that's what I believe is the protesters' sentiment. However, just because he is clearly in the wrong here, it doesn't preclude him from being the victim of something else--in this case an unfair system.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying that he should be exonerated or even looked at differently, but I do think the system that locks him up and gives a free pass to white cops who perpetrate equally egregious crimes does warrant examination.

jmood88

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that that's what I believe is the protesters' sentiment. However, just because he is clearly in the wrong here, it doesn't preclude him from being the victim of something else--in this case an unfair system.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying that he should be exonerated or even looked at differently, but I do think the system that locks him up and gives a free pass to white cops who perpetrate equally egregious crimes does warrant examination.
It does warrant examination and bringing attention to that can take place without calling the killer a victim. The only thing he was a victim of was not being able to access the same privilege that the white officers were but his conviction was justified.

Urgh, no more emotions letting it get to best of me. Sorry folks.

But yes, this Liang dude was a piece of shit no matter what. He did deserve to go to jail. But it does suck that he was Asian.....

Llyranor

I have no sympathy for Liang. But it is still scapegoating. In an ideal world, every one of those murderer cops should be prosecuted properly. But instead this will probably be used as an example of "See? See? We do prosecute cops committing crimes! The system works!"

Sitting on the sidelines is what has allowed the relationship between Asians and other minority groups to suffer. The sooner that Asian groups learn that their privilege can be taken away just as fast as it's given, the better off everyone will be.

You need to slow your roll. Asians face discrimination in different ways than other minorities in this country. It's still discrimination. There's no privilege here to speak of.

Edit: Also I'm glad Asians are out there protesting challenging Cops and their white supremecy. But Liang is a piece of shit. He deserves jail and a lifetime of it.

jmood88

You need to slow your roll. Asians face discrimination in different ways than other minorities in this country. It's still discrimination. There's no privilege here to speak of.
Yes, there is privilege for certain Asian groups and you ignoring that is a problem. I never said that Asians didn't face discrimination but the weJapanese, Korean, and Chinese people in particular have had access to privilege that other minority groups haven't. They've been held up as the standard that other minorities should meet and, in the last couple decades, haven't fought against that. There was a time when it was more common to see Asians stand alongside blacks and Latinos to protest the problems in this country but that is far too rare these days. Now you have a bunch of people who finally decide to protest white supremacy and privilege but it's only to call a piece of shit like Liang a victim.

Edit: having privilege isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's an issue when people don't recognize it. I'm a Blasian male and I've faced discrimination but I also recognize that I have benefitted from the privilege of growing up male and middle class with parents who have advanced degrees. Now, while I can't erase the fact that I'm a male, what I can do (and what I've done) is speak out against discrimination and injustices that women/poor people/anyone else worse off than me face. That is what I've been wanting to see from more Asians and it's a shame to me that the demonstrations only start when an Asian officer doesn't get to benefit from the same privilege as white officers.

Rooth

Yes, there is privilege for certain Asian groups and you ignoring that is a problem. I never said that Asians didn't face discrimination but the weJapanese, Korean, and Chinese people in particular have had access to privilege that other minority groups haven't. They've been held up as the standard that other minorities should meet and, in the last couple decades, haven't fought against that. There was a time when it was more common to see Asians stand alongside blacks and Latinos to protest the problems in this country but that is far too rare these days. Now you have a bunch of people who finally decide to protest white supremacy and privilege but it's only to call a piece of shit like Liang a victim.

What privilege do most people in this thread feel that Asians have in America? I know as the beneficiary of privilege these things tend to be invisible... white people take stuff for granted that minorities have to work for... so I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Like Asians do really well in school and go to Harvard but they have to score way higher than everyone else and we can't let all of you in because Affirmative Action.

You know what I mean? Like what do we get that we don't lose?

What privilege do most people in this thread feel that Asians have in America? I know as the beneficiary of privilege these things tend to be invisible... white people take stuff for granted that minorities have to work for... so I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Like Asians do really well in school and go to Harvard but they have to score way higher than everyone else and we can't let all of you in because Affirmative Action.

I think we have the privilege of being ignored by pretty much all sides.

EDIT: This is not snark; it actually is a privilege, since we don't get shot by cops for nothing or ethnically profiled and treated like criminals just for looking a certain way. But on the other side of the same coin, we're also overlooked in most discussions about minorities and don't benefit from things like affirmative action.

Being ignored ;_;

Also back to the food topic..... Um Hmong people suck lol. We don't have any good dishes compared to other Asians. Andrew Zimmern did another episode based on the Twin Cities and what do Hmong people have to show?! Just a sausage and some sticky rice lmao. We're so basic hah. When we cook dishes, we mix and match alot of stuff from other Asians though so there's that at least!

jmood88

The Asian groups that I listed aren't disproportionately killed by the police, aren't followed in stores and assumed to be shoplifters, aren't stopped and frisked, don't get funneled to "less challenging" tracks simply because of their race, aren't placed in special Ed programs that they shouldn't be in because of their race, aren't routinely disqualified from jobs because of their names, don't face the same housing discrimination that blacks and latinos do, etc. Just like many white people, there are a lot of Asians who don't stop to think about what their ethnicity protects them from and want to act like because they or their families may have had setbacks from time to time that they don't benefit from any kind of privilege. That belief is just wrong.

Like I said before, though I have experienced discrimination, I've also been the recipient of privilege that I had no hand in earning and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that or even taking advantage of it, but don't try to pretend like it doesn't exist.

jmood88

I think we have the privilege of being ignored by pretty much all sides.

EDIT: This is not snark; it actually is a privilege, since we don't get shot by cops for nothing or ethnically profiled and treated like criminals just for looking a certain way. But on the other side of the same coin, we're also overlooked in most discussions about minorities and don't benefit from things like affirmative action.
If you limit the effect of affirmative action to academia and restrict the Asian label to Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Indian people.

Rooth

The Asian groups that I listed aren't disproportionately killed by the police, aren't followed in stores and assumed to be shoplifters, aren't stopped and frisked,

Agreed. It's pretty rare for me to have run-ins with the police. But my house also once got robbed and the police never came even though we called it in. So maybe too rare?

don't get funneled to "less challenging" tracks simply because of their race, aren't placed in special Ed programs that they shouldn't be in because of their race,

Not true. Asians face discrimination here. I myself was in an ESL class all the way to the end of high school. I was also in AP English at the time. When I asked the principal why I should still be taking ESL exams he told me "At least you'll help the average."

aren't routinely disqualified from jobs because of their names,

This is false as well. I don't have an American name so the heading on my resume is pretty Asian. My brother is the same and in his last job interview he had to do a pre-interview with the secretary because she didn't think he could speak English. This despite his resume saying he graduated from UCLA.

don't face the same housing discrimination that blacks and latinos do, etc.

But not without trying right? I mean, the whole Japanese internment thing was essentially a land grab so the US government can get back all that prime beachfront real estate from Japanese Americans. Why else would they only round up those on the west coast (excluding Hawaii) and leave the entire Japanese American population in every other state alone?

Plus you're forgetting the recent Toyota scandal where they charged blacks, latinos AND Asians a markup.

Just like many white people, there are a lot of Asians who don't stop to think about what their ethnicity protects them from and want to act like because they or their families may have had setbacks from time to time that they don't benefit from any kind of privilege. That belief is just wrong.

Like I said before, though I have experienced discrimination, I've also been the recipient of privilege that I had no hand in earning and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that or even taking advantage of it, but don't try to pretend like it doesn't exist.

I'm not comparing what Asians go through to be anywhere near the same level as what blacks or latinos have to deal with but Asians do get a lot of shit. And some of that shit is unique to Asians and Asians alone. And you can dismiss what I'm saying as anecdotal but you're going pretty hard against your own people and I don't know what for.

Specific to Peter Liang? He should be in jail. 2 years of 15 years, I don't care. But the protesters have a right to speak up about it. I mean, the trial is the epitome of Asian American relations in the US. Be frustrated at the system and how it played a serendipitous situation for the police so well.

jmood88

Agreed. It's pretty rare for me to have run-ins with the police. But my house also once got robbed and the police never came even though we called it in. So maybe too rare?
It's like you're deliberately trying to miss the point.

Not true. Asians face discrimination here. I myself was in an ESL class all the way to the end of high school. I was also in AP English at the time. When I asked the principal why I should still be taking ESL exams he told me "At least you'll help the average."
That was ignorant but esl is not the same as the special education classes I was referring to.

This is false as well. I don't have an American name so the heading on my resume is pretty Asian. My brother is the same and in his last job interview he had to do a pre-interview with the secretary because she didn't think he could speak English. This despite his resume saying he graduated from UCLA.
No, it's not false. Your individual experience doesn't change the fact that this is a problem that disproportionately affects black people in this country.

But not without trying right? I mean, the whole Japanese internment thing was essentially a land grab so the US government can get back all that prime beachfront real estate from Japanese Americans. Why else would they only round up those on the west coast (excluding Hawaii) and leave the entire Japanese American population in every other state alone?
This has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Yes, at one point, Japanese Americans were discriminated against in this fashion (and were not only apologized to but given reparations). There is a long history, that still occurs today, of housing discrimination against black (and Latino to a lesser extent) that Asians do not face today.

Plus you're forgetting the recent Toyota scandal where they charged blacks, latinos AND Asians a markup.
I'm not forgetting anything. The point wasn't to list some instances where Asian people were discriminated against, it was to answer your question of how certain Asian groups have privilege. Yes, there are still instances where the groups I specified face racism and discrimination but, as a whole, they get to avoid a lot of what other minority groups experience. And again, I'm speaking of a specific subset of Asians. Hmong, Laotian, Cambodian, Vietnamese, etc typically do not benefit from the same privilege that the wealthier Asian groups do.

I'm not comparing what Asians go through to be anywhere near the same level as what blacks or latinos have to deal with but Asians do get a lot of shit. And some of that shit is unique to Asians and Asians alone. And you can dismiss what I'm saying as anecdotal but you're going pretty hard against your own people and I don't know what for.
I explicitly said that Asians face discrimination but for the groups I was discussing, they have a privilege that other minority groups do not have and, no matter what anecdotal stories you have of times you faced discrimination, it does not erase reality. Asian groups used to protest right alongside blacks and Latinos but then a few Asian groups were allowed to be accepted slightly more than other minorities and many of those radical Asian groups just disappeared. And I'm not "going against my own people", I'm just tired of seeing Asians be so apathetic towards injustices faced by other minorities, then deciding to take up the cause of a piece of shit like Liang.

Specific to Peter Liang? He should be in jail. 2 years of 15 years, I don't care. But the protesters have a right to speak up about it. I mean, the trial is the epitome of Asian American relations in the US. Be frustrated at the system and how it played a serendipitous situation for the police so well.
Turning Liang into a martyr is exactly the wrong way to go about protesting unfair sentencing and it's why those protestors are being criticized by other minorities.

On a less serious note I am at the point in my Chinese class Where we are required to write in character without any pinyin. I also decided to Redownload Sleeping dogs on my computer to read the street signs around Hong Kong. I can surprisingly understand quite a few of them which also made me notice a lot of the filler buildings in the game makes no sense whatsoever as far as I can tell. I spotted a laundry mat selling chicken and a eye glass store which while the text was pixelated the sign clearly had to do with tea instead.

Rooth

Asian groups used to protest right alongside blacks and Latinos but then a few Asian groups were allowed to be accepted slightly more than other minorities and many of those radical Asian groups just disappeared.

I'll just get to my main gripe.

You do realize those Asians who stood beside Latinos and Blacks are still there, right? But the Asian demographic in the US has shifted and is now mostly comprised of Asians who are either first or second generation immigrants. People who never experienced the Civil Rights movement or even had a political voice in their old country. And a demographic comprised of many nationalities, religions, cultures...

And let me clarify this because you keep bringing up Asian privilege or how we were accepted... the reason Asians are model minorities is not because we were helped by the system. It's because most of our parents broke the system. They came from another country where they got good education, graduated from college, immigrated with money to help them hit the ground running. But the US is fucked up. And there needed to be a narrative as to why Asians do better than blacks that didn't have anything to do with poorly funded schools or racial profiling or segregated housings. Our parents did right by us. Let's not twist their sacrifice into this fallacy that they kowtowed to racist ideals.

Peter Liang has been convicted of manslaughter. There is no privilege here. He's going to jail and will be punished for his crime. He'll be made an example of. It will be justice. But his sole conviction in a torrent of other more hateful and obvious police murders is a slight to Chinese Americans. I don't think it's unfair to at least let them protest.

On a less serious note I am at the point in my Chinese class Where we are required to write in character without any pinyin. I also decided to Redownload Sleeping dogs on my computer to read the street signs around Hong Kong. I can surprisingly understand quite a few of them which also made me notice a lot of the filler buildings in the game makes no sense whatsoever as far as I can tell. I spotted a laundry mat selling chicken and a eye glass store which while the text was pixelated the sign clearly had to do with tea instead.

I replayed Sleeping Dogs on my PS4 earlier this month! That game is so fun. Running around and kicking people will never get old lol.

I actually also really liked that they went ahead and hired a bunch of Asian actors/actresses to voice the many characters we interact with!

Argyle

Sorry to derail but as a bit of trivia, there actually was an internment camp in Hawaii (my grandfather ended up in there, he was sent there because he went to school in Japan, even though he was born in Hawaii)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honouliuli_Internment_Camp

Rooth

Sorry to derail but as a bit of trivia, there actually was an internment camp in Hawaii (my grandfather ended up in there, he was sent there because he went to school in Japan, even though he was born in Hawaii)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honouliuli_Internment_Camp

Thanks. I actually did research on the 442nd a long time ago and never heard of this place. My understanding originally came from an interview in one of those books. The military base and the nearby town didn't want to host a USO dance between the soldiers and the local populace (white girls) so they bused them to the nearest internment camp instead. The soldiers from Hawaii said that was the first time they ever saw those camps.

the-last-fuck-i-give.gif

Hope y'all have been well, though. The PL controversy... man I don't even know. It's sort of how I feel between Clinton and Sanders. It's not that I don't care, it's that I have no idea what I want to care about.

BUUUUUNNNNNNNBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSS

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*GLOMPS*

*____________________*

jmood88

I'll just get to my main gripe.

You do realize those Asians who stood beside Latinos and Blacks are still there, right? But the Asian demographic in the US has shifted and is now mostly comprised of Asians who are either first or second generation immigrants. People who never experienced the Civil Rights movement or even had a political voice in their old country. And a demographic comprised of many nationalities, religions, cultures...

And let me clarify this because you keep bringing up Asian privilege or how we were accepted... the reason Asians are model minorities is not because we were helped by the system. It's because most of our parents broke the system. They came from another country where they got good education, graduated from college, immigrated with money to help them hit the ground running. But the US is fucked up. And there needed to be a narrative as to why Asians do better than blacks that didn't have anything to do with poorly funded schools or racial profiling or segregated housings. Our parents did right by us. Let's not twist their sacrifice into this fallacy that they kowtowed to racist ideals.
Again, you're offended about privilege without understanding the concept and you clearly don't understand the history of Asian immigrants in this country. The reason why Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Indian immigrants tend to have more success than most minority groups is because they were specifically recruited to come here and are highly-skilled/highly-educated. This is why the model minority stereotype is a problem because the Asian groups who have come here to escape poverty or war do not have the same success as the one's I listed. So no, most Asian parents did not "break the system", they were among the best of the best in the country they came from, were given preferential status when applying for visas/citizenship (or sought out by schools or businesses), and started with a leg up over even those born in this country.

Peter Liang has been convicted of manslaughter. There is no privilege here. He's going to jail and will be punished for his crime. He'll be made an example of. It will be justice. But his sole conviction in a torrent of other more hateful and obvious police murders is a slight to Chinese Americans. I don't think it's unfair to at least let them protest.
It's not unfair to protest an unjust system but it is ridiculously tone-deaf to use a murderer who admitted to his crime as the victim of a tragedy. Everything that happened was of his own doing and many of these protestors have shown that they don't give a fuck about the system being racist, they're just mad that Liang wasn't able to get away with what he did like he probably would have if he was white.

they're just mad that Liang wasn't able to get away with what he did like he probably would have if he was white.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/magazine/how-should-asian-americans-feel-about-the-peter-liang-protests.html?_r=0

This long history has erased any possible nuance Saturday’s protests might have brought to our understanding of what happened to Liang. Which is tragic, because there is much ugly, essential nuance to be examined. There are many within the Asian-American community, for example, who believe that Liang deserved to be convicted of manslaughter, but who also wonder why it was the Asian cop, among many other equally deserving officers, who took the fall.

All these anxieties, born out of these small but crucial referendums on our place in America, have been reignited by Liang’s conviction. Even if you believe, as I do, that Liang should be in jail, the inevitable follow-up question — why only Liang? — suggests that the unjust protections routinely afforded to white officers should be extended either to everyone or to nobody at all.

They're not mad that Liang wasn't able to get away with it. They're mad that amongst all those shootings involved, why is it only a minority that gets convicted whereas in the other shootings, the white officer gets off free? And I'll requote this just to hammer the point home. Liang deserves his punishment and justice was served in this case but why wasn't it served in the others when the police officer was white. Even people in this thread are saying that Liang deserves his punishment. I don't know why you keep ignoring this point.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Hope y'all have been well, though. The PL controversy... man I don't even know. It's sort of how I feel between Clinton and Sanders. It's not that I don't care, it's that I have no idea what I want to care about.

Welcome back bunny!

The PL thing...eh, I just like the article because it talks about becoming a generation learning how to become politically active perhaps - and it's important to see how the process starts rather than just noticing decades later and romanticizing it in the past. (Which is how a lot of older movements see themselves now). Learning from the process now helps stop the repeating of mistakes in the future.

As for the current discussion - I'll point out that the invisible nature of it actually leaves some asian sub-groups flat out worse off than everyone else - as they're getting the worst of both worlds - penalized for being part of the model minority, and coming in with none of the advantages. (and, uh, if you are middle eastern in this country, frankly you have the right to tell everyone in this country who bitches about how great anyone else has it currently to suck it, cuz dear freaking lord it's gotten bad) It also points out the class aspect of the whole discussion is a bigger piece than people want to admit (which is where a lot of the modern proposed solutions tend to fall apart 10-15 years down the road, because r squared is a thing).

From Jmood's link

Asian subgroups--like Cambodians, Burmese, and Hmong--have higher high school drop-out rates than any other racial group in the United States. But they are not seen by policymakers because they are made invisible by the model minority stereotype and its assumed cultural advantages.

I think it is worth keeping that in mind.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Digression:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/finn-jones-iron-fist

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1190225

Looks like they've cast Iron Fist, and they're going with the Danny Rand version

Marvel has found its newest superhero: Game of Thrones actor Finn Jones has landed the coveted series lead in Iron Fist.

Jones, who plays Ser Loras Tyrell on the HBO hit, will take on the role of the martial arts master in the upcoming Netflix series, EW has learned.

Iron Fist is set to be the fourth Marvel and Netflix collaboration, following Daredevil, Jessica Jones and the forthcoming Luke Cage. Scott Buck (Dexter) has been tapped as showrunner. Marvel plans to eventually unite all its heroes in a series called The Defenders.

In the comics, Iron Fist is Daniel Rand, who at age of 9 travels with his family from New York a lost mystical city called K’un-L’un. After some tragic twists of fate, Rand is adopted by city’s ruler and taught advanced martial arts and the mystical power of the Iron Fist. As an adult, Rand returns to his native New York and begins a career as a superhero.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
why not cast an asian guy. like damn they could do so much with the story there.

I'm willing to wait to see where they intend to take the story and what their overall plans are before I pooh-pooh their choice. A reverse fish out of water story might actually bring as much of a viewpoint to cultural issues, and maybe even talk about the important difference between culture and race (something which is shamefully ignored, IMO, in modern racial discussions).

They have the benefit of the doubt from me, fwiw.

I... Don't know much about comics. Iron Fist is a white dude who gets to learn the Asian ways. What's so bad about that?
not serious

According to our comic expert Slayven, alot of us are used in a supporting way in comics. We have some heroes right now that are front and center. Largely, the new Hulk and Ms. Marvel.

Hiro Nakamura was pretty badass.

Sadly, we don't have huge Asian comic book heroes :(

Let's also not forget what happened with a black Firestorm, eesh (the backlash not the actual casting).

Would I have been happier if Iron Fist was Asian? Yes, and there's nothing wrong with sticking to your source material. But.... It would have been a prime candidate to cast an Asian actor and change things up. It would have been the closest we can get to an Asian hero because we know we won't be getting a live-action Asian Hulk anytime soon. Still disappointed to say the least.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I... Don't know much about comics. Iron Fist is a white dude who gets to learn the Asian ways. What's so bad about that?
not serious

According to our comic expert Slayven, alot of us are used in a supporting way in comics. We have some heroes right now that are front and center. Largely, the new Hulk and Ms. Marvel.

Hiro Nakamura was pretty badass.

Sadly, we don't have huge Asian comic book heroes :(

Let's also not forget what happened with a black Firestorm, eesh (the backlash not the actual casting).

Would I have been happier if Iron Fist was Asian? Yes, and there's nothing wrong with sticking to your source material. But.... It would have been a prime candidate to cast an Asian actor and change things up. It would have been the closest we can get to an Asian hero because we know we won't be getting a live-action Asian Hulk anytime soon. Still disappointed to say the least.

I actually think Ms Marvel has more of a chance than people think. But I think it may not happen on Netflix because of missing a large chunk of the potential audience (Netflix is not allowed in China). An asian superhero makes way more sense financially to put in a movie (which you can then put into China) rather than Netflix.

TV wise, we already have two asian-american heroes in Skye & May (AGENTS of Shield), plus I think Marvel's cooling off on network television.

Drama side, I think we are fine? I don't pay attention to shows on ABC or CBS. There's.... Hawaii Five-O right? Am I correct?

It would be awesome if they continue the Hulk movies and get to Amadeus Cho. I can imagine who will be the leading role! Mr. Yuen! Funny, charismatic, is nerdy and geeky. Pull in the comic fans and the Walking Dead fans. Make bank. Dew it Marvel, you know you wanna lol.

I trust Marvel though. Not outraged, slightly disappointed. I can't wait to see the rest of the cast and all the supporting roles.

buunnniiiiiii <3

misschu~ happy late new year to you too! monkey year luck! ^___^

-

didn't know about loras being cast as ironfist

am okay with white guy casting in this but am not okay with loras cuz he's so unappetizing

pls marvel. i need my man eyecandies. thx.

Llyranor

Again, you're offended about privilege without understanding the concept and you clearly don't understand the history of Asian immigrants in this country. The reason why Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Indian immigrants tend to have more success than most minority groups is because they were specifically recruited to come here and are highly-skilled/highly-educated. This is why the model minority stereotype is a problem because the Asian groups who have come here to escape poverty or war do not have the same success as the one's I listed. So no, most Asian parents did not "break the system", they were among the best of the best in the country they came from, were given preferential status when applying for visas/citizenship (or sought out by schools or businesses), and started with a leg up over even those born in this country.

What about Vietnamese? Maybe my area is not representative of the norm (Montreal), but I know many many successful Vietnamese doctors, dentists, pharmacists, engineers, businesses. Some first (mostly escaping the war), some second generation.

EDIT: Hmm, according to that article, 51% without a college degree. Hmm :/

Not

Banned
I'm not Asian, but I'm fucking pissed about Iron Fist. There are no desirable Asian male leads in American television and movies. The closest thing we have is Glenn in TWD, but his role is unarguably supporting. We could do with one.

Dammit, I'm so disappointed. This is one of this things you look at in Hollywood and other popular entertainment media and realize we still have so very far to go.

BTW US Asian GAF-

Have y'all been watching the IEM?

https://iemweb.biz.uiowa.edu/graphs/graph_RCONV16.cfm
RCONV16.jpg

https://iemweb.biz.uiowa.edu/graphs/graph_DCONV16.cfm
DCONV16.jpg

IEM is one of the better, more accurate markets out there IIRC.

I'm not going to lie.. I'm a little worried about a Trump v. Clinton, or Trump v. Sanders election. A part of me hopes Cruz or Rubio gets the nod (doubtful), just so they can lose.
Personally, I would rather it be Trump vs. Democrat than the others. I feel he is a less stinky piece of shit than Cruz, and I'm hoping he splinters the GOP base so they lose down-ticket Congressional seats.

As for the second graph, well, that one is depressing.

Rooth

The reason why Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Indian immigrants tend to have more success than most minority groups is because they were specifically recruited to come here and are highly-skilled/highly-educated. This is why the model minority stereotype is a problem because the Asian groups who have come here to escape poverty or war do not have the same success as the one's I listed.

I never said being labeled a model minority is not a problem. So I have no idea where you're going with this statement.

So no, most Asian parents did not "break the system", they were among the best of the best in the country they came from, were given preferential status when applying for visas/citizenship (or sought out by schools or businesses), and started with a leg up over even those born in this country.

None of this contradicts what I said. The article agrees with me. In general Asian families that came to the US started in a better spot than most latino immigrants and most blacks. The families who could afford to immigrate or apply had to be in good standing. I mean, you couldn't swim here. This flipped the script on whites being the best at everything. Just like we're seeing now with Harvard and it's interest in a "holistic" admission process. Narratives are built around the success of the Asian community, it is not the Asian community who are playing into the narrative like you accuse. And that narrative is either positive or negative depending on if it benefits the system or not. I don't see where the privilege is.

Housing, jobs, academics, dating, media... Asians face real problems in all these areas but you're bent on dismissing them as anecdotal experiences. Some things black people have better, some things they have worse... but none of us have it good.

You bought into the purpose of the model minority myth and think that because Asians have it so good we shouldn't be allowed to speak out at any injustice or slight. That we're aligning ourselves to whites in this country by doing what we do. But positive stereotypes aren't privilege. Privilege is something that comes with no strings attached. It's a lack of expectation. What you seem to think is privilege is actually discrimination.

jmood88

I never said being labeled a model minority is not a problem. So I have no idea where you're going with this statement.
You said that Asians were model minorities because they broke the system. This is false and ahistorical and ignores the experiences of other Asian groups in the US that have not been as successful as Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Indian immigrants.

None of this contradicts what I said. The article agrees with me. In general Asian families that came to the US started in a better spot than most latino immigrants and most blacks. The families who could afford to immigrate or apply had to be in good standing. I mean, you couldn't swim here. This flipped the script on whites being the best at everything. Just like we're seeing now with Harvard and it's interest in a "holistic" admission process. Narratives are built around the success of the Asian community, it is not the Asian community who are playing into the narrative like you accuse. And that narrative is either positive or negative depending on if it benefits the system or not. I don't see where the privilege is.
You not seeing how wealthy, highly-educated, sought-after immigrants who were given priority when coming here have privilege in this country is a problem.

Housing, jobs, academics, dating, media... Asians face real problems in all these areas but you're bent on dismissing them as anecdotal experiences. Some things black people have better, some things they have worse... but none of us have it good.
I'm dismissing your anecdotes about individuals having hard times because they are just that: anecdotes. They aren't the norm for the groups that I specified. And again, having privilege doesn't mean that everything is perfect all the time. You're making the exact same argument that white people make when made aware of the fact that they're part of the privileged class in this country.

You bought into the purpose of the model minority myth and think that because Asians have it so good we shouldn't be allowed to speak out at any injustice or slight.That we're aligning ourselves to whites in this country by doing what we do. But positive stereotypes aren't privilege. Privilege is something that comes with no strings attached. It's a lack of expectation. What you seem to think is privilege is actually discrimination.
I neither said nor suggested that. You don't know what privilege is and you have no idea about the history of Asian immigration to this country. Your belief that the Asian groups that have been successful were able to do so by breaking a system that actively discriminated against them is false and not backed up by reality. Yes, Asians have faced plenty of discrimination in this country but, as I've said over and over, certain Asian groups (members of which are saying that Liang was a victim) benefitted from being among the privileged in their countries and, in turn, were recruited to come here, where they were able to have access to privileges that other ethnic groups do not.

None of this contradicts what I said. The article agrees with me. In general Asian families that came to the US started in a better spot than most latino immigrants and most blacks.

You not seeing how wealthy, highly-educated, sought-after immigrants who were given priority when coming here have privilege in this country is a problem.

Sure, maybe the more recent immigrants.

SRG01

Sure, maybe the more recent immigrants.

Correct. There were multiple waves of Chinese/Asian immigrants through the past century or so, starting with the poorest of the poor.

That slowly changed over time with a general shift in immigration policies -- from cheap, working class labor to professional, well-off candidates.

The truly interesting thing is that there is a subset of the North American Asian population that exists to this day; and is invisible and not well off. It's just that, like most lower-class ethnic minorities, no one cares about them.

edit: A recent example is the Canadian Temporary Foreign Worker program, in which Fillipino workers were imported to fill market niches that need labor. They were supposed to be paid higher than the typical market rate, but rarely ever happened (and were in fact paid at a much lower rate than even minimum wage workers). Suffice it to say, it was them who suffered in the end, as they suffered through the inevitable 'they took our jobs' political backlash as well as being kicked out of the country despite being promised a way to work towards permanent residency. So many similarities to the Chinese workers on the Canadian Railroad... makes my blood boil.

You ever go to bed in a great mood, then your brain takes all the negative shit from the previous day and coalesces it into one giant shitty dream, and you just wake up mad?

Cuz I just did.

Top Bottom