• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

StMeph

I still have a pretty long list of places to try to check out in LA, but everything is so far apart that it's tough to actually go visit them.

If you'll be in Anaheim, are you planning on visiting Disneyland? There are actually a lot of good places in/near there, including Napa Rose, Catal, and Blue Bayou.

Can't go to Anaheim without going to Disneyland!

Isn't there a Din Tai Fung at South Coast Plaza now, or is that still too far away?

Hmm an hour by bus from Disneyland. Might be worth a trip since there's a massive mall there as well.

Also an In-N-Out nearby.

Catal is amazing! It’s cheap, has a nice environment, and does pretty good Americanized tapas. Some of the dishes are kinda meh though.

Cheap, eh?

*looks up menu, sees $25+ entrees*

Hmm. I suppose one fancier meal wouldn't be too bad.

zeemumu

If you'll be in Anaheim, are you planning on visiting Disneyland? There are actually a lot of good places in/near there, including Napa Rose, Catal, and Blue Bayou.

Blue Bayou is a little difficult. You'll need a reservation (weird for a restaurant inside of a theme park but whatever) and the food is pricey. It's probably a biased opinion but I prefer the clam chowder bread bowls to anything else there. There's a Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles a few blocks from Disneyland if you're willing to check it out.

The only time I went to Din Tai Fung was a while ago with Backslash. Outside of the wait it was a pretty good experience.
My favorite thing at Disneyland is, by far, Plaza Inn, actually. But I don't usually recommend fried chicken places.

But, Lone_Prodigy, if fried chicken is your thing, try out Plaza Inn inside the park.
Nah, Roscoes, man. Roscoes.

Also, if you happen to have extra time, Universal Studios Hollywood did a soft opening for Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you end up going before I do, tell me how sick it was. I've only been to the Florida one.

Blue Bayou is a little difficult. You'll need a reservation and the food is pricey. It's probably a biased opinion but I prefer the clam chowder bread bowls to anything else there.

The only time I went to Din Tai Fung was a while ago with Backslash. Outside of the wait it was a pretty good experience.
My favorite thing at Disneyland is, by far, Plaza Inn, actually. But I don't usually recommend fried chicken places.

But, Lone_Prodigy, if fried chicken is your thing, try out Plaza Inn inside the park.

zeemumu

Oh, one last thing: Disneyland's in off-season right now (at least until spring break) and construction on Star Wars land closed off a few things. If you're park-hopping, your longest wait times will be Radiator Springs Racers and Hyperspace Mountain. Or Splash Mountain depending on how hot it gets. Download the app if you need constant access to wait times. Just some stuff to consider.

Llyranor

I miss Din Tai Fung so much. The xiaolongbao have such thick dough over here, and even then they break more easily than the thin ones at Din.

Glin

50 bucks sounds reasonable! Hello, an Asian from Europe..at the moment doing Karaoke..stereotype af🤖

mercviper

50 bucks sounds reasonable! Hello, an Asian from Europe..at the moment doing Karaoke..stereotype af🤖
Hey, welcome! As is customary for newcomers we demand tribute in delicious food pics.

Edit: which reminds me, I made that ramen carbonara tonight and it was pretty good. Added some milk to the sauce and probably should've cooked the bacon a little longer, but I was hungry lol. Hungry enough I forgot to take pics. :(

Hey new peeps! Where are our food pics? I hate to be the bad guy but ...
LLShC.gif

Just a friendly reminder, I came in here without delicious food pics because Hmong food is not great for photography. Also, my phone's camera is garbage. I did post pics of some struggle pics though. Which is almost what all Hmong people eat:

Boiled chicken

No lie, the sauce is delicious with jasmine rice and what you need to top it off is with some homemade pepper (which I also posted with my delicious chicken, tyvm!).

Jasmine rice is da bomb tho. Sticky rice is also da bomb. Some beef laab with sticky rice is godly. Rice-Eater better back me up with this lol.

clav

I like Basmati rice when I don't feel like eating brown rice.

Tends to be lower on the glycemic index when compared to other white rice.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I have posted a photo or two of simple Asian food I've made recently in the NeoGAF IronChef thread. Like, stew and stuff. Nobody responded to those. I guess they don't look very tasty :(

I like Basmati rice when I don't feel like eating brown rice.

Tends to be lower on the glycemic index when compared to other white rice.

I went for two months without eating rice.... It suuuuucked. I was just not feeling full at all. A full body workout and watching what you eat suuuucks lol. I need to get back into it tbh :)

What was the reason?

Just to see if I made weight or gained weight. I actually lost some good weight until I went back to my regular diet of 2-3 meals consisting of high salt, garlic, based meals. Mixed stir fries, pho, kawpoon, eggrolls, spring rolls, and a little bit of instant noodles here and there.

While off of rice I was eating more meals with less salt and garlic and relied more on greens. So whenever I was eating I made my meals include more varied veggies and mixed greens.

I'm not a fan of dairy so there wasn't much of that in my diet besides some eggs here and there. There should have been more sugar in there though. That's one thing I forgot entirely because I keep thinking sugar was bad. No soda, juice, or anything sweet. My family and I also rarely eat fast food so that was never in consideration.

This was all within 6 months and roughly 1 hour of a full body workout nearly everyday with a light jog almost every day. In the end, I decided that the rice wasn't worth ditching and went back to eating it.

clav

Just to see if I made weight or gained weight. I actually lost some good weight until I went back to my regular diet of 2-3 meals consisting of high salt, garlic, based meals. Mixed stir fries, pho, kawpoon, eggrolls, spring rolls, and a little bit of instant noodles here and there.

While off of rice I was eating more meals with less salt and garlic and relied more on greens. So whenever I was eating I made my meals include more varied veggies and mixed greens.

I'm not a fan of dairy so there wasn't much of that in my diet besides some eggs here and there. There should have been more sugar in there though. That's one thing I forgot entirely because I keep thinking sugar was bad. No soda, juice, or anything sweet. My family and I also rarely eat fast food so that was never in consideration.

This was all within 6 months and roughly 1 hour of a full body workout nearly everyday with a light jog almost every day. In the end, I decided that the rice wasn't worth ditching and went back to eating it.

If you want to try replacing rice again, you could eat lentils instead.

Noodles are good, but I love rice. That said, I'm having seafood pho right now. hah

Not a huge fan of rice noodles either. I used to like Pho a lot but I'm kinda Pho'd out these days. Speaking of noodles, I have a huge craving for Chao Ma Mian or as Koreans call it,
Jjamppong...I would love good recommendation for it in LA.

348s.jpg

Here's a picture...

Llyranor

Anyone have any simple recipes they like using pho noodles or Chinese egg noodles? I have leftovers and am thinking of trying something new.

zeemumu

It's raining pretty hard right now. Maybe I should pack hot chocolate and reactivate my netflix account and hang out in the library tomorrow.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
It's raining pretty hard right now. Maybe I should pack hot chocolate and reactivate my netflix account and hang out in the library tomorrow.

Did ya'll binged House of Cards season 4 like I did over the weekend ?

zeemumu

Did ya'll binged House of Cards season 4 like I did over the weekend ?

I've got too many shows on my plate right now. Plus I mainly use Netflix for movies, old kids shows that I grew up with, and (formerly) Doctor Who.

ALSO I REALLY WANT BUTTERBEER NOW.

Damn it stop tempting me to go to Universal Studios early. I already talked myself into pushing back the date to go and I've gotta budget out food, gas, Wondercon money, and potential Disneyland money first. THEN Universal.

Anyone have any simple recipes they like using pho noodles or Chinese egg noodles? I have leftovers and am thinking of trying something new.

Something simple like stir frys? Maybe you can try crisping them up but I'm not sure that'll work as well

Or you could try making your own broth and make a soup or dipping sauce

zeemumu

I leave LA two days before Harry Potter opens. Debating on whether to gamble on a soft opening when I'm there.

From what I hear, Universal Studios is a huge letdown after going to Disneyland.

Harry Potter soft opened weeks ago but the official opening is in April. From what I can tell through my habit of following theme park news, they started technical rehearsals and the rides may or may not be operational in there. they're Universal Studios Hollywood has the disadvantage (for a theme park. Financially it's a huge advantage) of being a fully functioning movie studio first and a theme park second. As a result it's significantly smaller than most theme parks and the two sections are separated by several flights of stairs (or several escalators if you're a wimp) so on a slow day or with a front of the line pass you can clear the entire park in less than a day. Nothing tops Disneyland except for other Disney parks (up for debate), but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't visit Universal if you have the time/money for it. I mean, if you've never been on the studio tour and you don't come to SoCal often, you should definitely check it out. And besides, should you finish early (and you probably will), you still have Universal Citywalk to dick around in for a bit. It'll only be a huge letdown if you're expecting Disneyland. Disneyland and Universal are two entirely different entities.

Speaking of Disneyland, I think I'm going to end up heading there tomorrow. I haven't been in a while (not enough to justify this year's annual pass renewal), I have the day off, I'm slightly ahead of schedule on my work, and there's a specific item that was supposed to release into their stores tomorrow that I need. Also it'd be good to get that trip in before the rain returns.

zeemumu

Don't forget Knott's Berry Farm (but go ahead and forget Magic Mountain)! That one's unique, as it only has the one location.

It's been a long time since I've been to regular Knott's. Every time I've gone in the past few years it's been for Knott's Scary Farm (that and Halloween Horror Nights have become a yearly habit of mine).

We do have a lot of amusement parks.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5pR4Rwhpv8

DAMNIT.

So accurate. QQ

Like all of them.

DAMNITTTT.
Synopsis, please!

It's been a long time since I've been to regular Knott's. Every time I've gone in the past few years it's been for Knott's Scary Farm (that and Halloween Horror Nights have become a yearly habit of mine).
I had an annual pass a few years ago, but it's a nice little park, with a good mix of rides. Their fried chicken is also good, though not as good as Plaza Inn's at Disneyland or Doc Brown's at Universal.

zeemumu

I had an annual pass a few years ago, but it's a nice little park, with a good mix of rides. Their fried chicken is also good, though not as good as Plaza Inn's at Disneyland or Doc Brown's at Universal.

Doc Browns doesn't exist anymore. Got torn down for Simpsons Land

Top Bottom