• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

SystemBug

LqPFWqG.jpg

OC Restaurant Week, Cha Cha with zeemumu. This is his face when I told him to make the victory/peace sign like a proper Asian haha.

List of Asian yuppies, what we like and how we act and who our peer group is.

Devastatingly accurate.

that food looks good man

shiroryu

Hi Asian-GAF, fellow Stormtrooper reporting in, 35 now (yikes!). I'm in Mumbai, India where I make e-learning for a living. Was trained as an engineer (did you see that coming?) and even did my Masters in it from Drexel University, Philadelphia (three years there), but made the shift to it and haven't looked back since.

Been on GAF a long time but mostly just lurk. Major interests: books, games, reading, football (Arsenal fan for my sins).

Hi Asian-GAF, fellow Stormtrooper reporting in, 35 now (yikes!). I'm in Mumbai, India where I make e-learning for a living. Was trained as an engineer (did you see that coming?) and even did my Masters in it from Drexel University, Philadelphia (three years there), but made the shift to it and haven't looked back since.

Been on GAF a long time but mostly just lurk. Major interests: books, games, reading, football (Arsenal fan for my sins).

Where da food pics at, breh?! J/k, welcome. I am drunk as fug lol.

Decided to not be lazy and make some lunch for work while trying something new

Rice
Diced 1/2 onion
Diced 1/2 green pepper
Bean sprouts
Bamboo shoots
Scallions

For sauces/seasonings just used soy sauce, mirin, bunch of gochujang, a little doenjang, a little fish sauce, black pepper, and some chili powder

Turned out pretty good from the taste test I did. I think it'll hold up after being nuked in a microwave

One serving

Kaze Kyou

Just a question for my fellow Asian brothers and sisters living in America (I'm sure I'm your distant cousin somewhere down the line!): What's the general consensus of the current presidential candidates? As someone looking from the outside, it's mind-boggling to see some minorities agreeing with Trump despite his racist tirades. Surely you guys aren't voting for him, right?

Do Asian-Americans tend to side with one party? I know a lot of them here in Australia tend to vote for the Aussie equivalent of the American Democrats.

Just a question for my fellow Asian brothers and sisters living in America (I'm sure I'm your distant cousin somewhere down the line!): What's the general consensus of the current presidential candidates? As someone looking from the outside, it's mind-boggling to see some minorities agreeing with Drumpf despite his racist tirades. Surely you guys aren't voting for him, right?

Do Asian-Americans tend to side with one party? I know a lot of them here in Australia tend to vote for the Aussie equivalent of the American Democrats.

Asian Americans as a whole have been leaning left recently.

If you break it down you'll find some groups that lean right, but of course it's never 100% in one direction.

suzu

Well, my relatives in Tennessee and Mississippi are mostly republicans. I don't think they're fans of Trump, but tbh I avoid talking to them about any politics. lol

The rest of my family/friends are on the coasts and lean left.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Just a question for my fellow Asian brothers and sisters living in America (I'm sure I'm your distant cousin somewhere down the line!): What's the general consensus of the current presidential candidates? As someone looking from the outside, it's mind-boggling to see some minorities agreeing with Trump despite his racist tirades. Surely you guys aren't voting for him, right?

Oddly enough, even though politically we probably should lean conservative (wealth + Asian conservative family values) - we tend to vote Democrat in this country. I think it is because we want the ability to practice our own beliefs; and the Dems tend to support that more than the GOP currently. (I worked for Obama twice, so I'm biased) :D

I could see older Asian-Americans going the Trump route.

I had some Japanese tofu in a Chinese restaurant. I should have taken some pics for you hungry mofos here. Do people even take pictures of food in China? I don't want to scare the crap out of people.

My friends and family lean on the Democratic side.

We all hate him and his racism.

Like what Cybit said, I can see older Asians aligning themselves with him for reasons that I don't understand.

Erheller

My parents usually voted republican in past elections because of lower taxes. They really hate Trump, though, so I don't know if they'll just not vote or vote democratic in November.

My sister and I vote democratic.

I think in my area, the older generations tend to not really care. My generation is mostly the same, except the ones who do vote tend to vote Democrat.

Erheller

Dad leans right, Mom follows him generally but in THIS election leans left because she is against Trump.

My dad seems to find Trump amusing (and truthful... ugh), but I keep reminding him to not be selfish and to think of other people in the US that will suffer under Trump.

Whatever. My parents can do what they want. I am registered to vote, and I have also signed up to volunteer at the booths during election days as well.

I think all minorities will suffer under Trump. A president that actively encourages racism is bad news for all of us.

My parents historically have supported Republican (fiscal conservative- they couldn't care less about social issues). They are more involved with Taiwan than US politics (I can't remember the last time they voted here but they have flown back to Taiwan to vote).

zeemumu

My parents historically have supported Republican (fiscal conservative- they couldn't care less about social issues). They are more involved with Taiwan than US politics (I can't remember the last time they voted here but they have flown back to Taiwan to vote).

My parents hate Trump and think Bernie's old and unrealistic. But then again mom thinks that the Black Lives Matter movement was stupid and should be replaced with All Lives Matter and that people in abusive relationships should just leave. People who say that bad conversations are better than no conversation haven't had enough bad conversations.

SystemBug

Canada here,

my parents always voted for the Liberal party. I think amongst most of my dad's immigrant friends and all - they all lean left. Which is good imo.

Actually my dad shocked me and voted for NDP this year. Which is like the most leftest party we have

Eh my peer group (22 and millennial) I'd say majority are leaning liberal but tend to be fiscally conservative (we like our money). My parents, mainly due to my Dad, is full on Republican and while he has not stated it I know he's voting for Trump.

In my group of friends (that are asian) we find Trump to be funny/hilarious but all agree not to seriously vote for him. Personally I lean towards Sanders but I'll vote for whoever turns out to be the Democratic candidate in the end.

No sauce to go with eggrolls ;_;

DSC_0055_zpsk2eseb1c.png

Eating them with sriracha just doesn't make it complete.

Good eggrolls don't need no sauce.

No sauce to go with eggrolls ;_;

DSC_0055_zpsk2eseb1c.png

Eating them with sriracha just doesn't make it complete.

I know those egg rolls all too well. In fact I just had one myself, my wife made it for me. The thing is that Hmong egg rolls is normally chock full of noodle with very little meat. Recently my wife has started making egg rolls with a lot more meat and it's amazing. Still plenty of noodle, but you can actually feel your teeth chewing on meat with every bite.

I don't really like egg rolls after they've been sitting for a while. Since they're normally over stuffed with noodle they get dry and taste bland. Sauce or pepper is pretty much a requirement for me to eat them. But I'm loving the way my wife is making hers. The meat keeps it flavorful after it's already been fridged for a day.

I know those egg rolls all too well. In fact I just had one myself, my wife made it for me. The thing is that Hmong egg rolls is normally chock full of noodle with very little meat. Recently my wife has started making egg rolls with a lot more meat and it's amazing. Still plenty of noodle, but you can actually feel your teeth chewing on meat with every bite.

I don't really like egg rolls after they've been sitting for a while. Since they're normally over stuffed with noodle they get dry and taste bland. Sauce or pepper is pretty much a requirement for me to eat them. But I'm loving the way my wife is making hers. The meat keeps it flavorful after it's already been fridged for a day.

We always make our eggrolls have more meat than usual. Everytime we make them and bring them over to our friends house people always be asking why our eggrolls taste so bomb. We also add in beansprouts from time to time just to give them a bit more of a crunch!

We do not make them like restaurants, buffets, or with alot of noodles. Before we know it, all the eggrolls are destroyed lol.

And now Universal Studios Hollywood is opening a permanent Walking Dead exhibit this summer. Worst timing for my trip haha.

Question for those in LA: I have a few hours downtown (Union Station area) before going to Anaheim. Any restaurant recommendations in Chinatown?

And now Universal Studios Hollywood is opening a permanent Walking Dead exhibit this summer. Worst timing for my trip haha.

Question for those in LA: I have a few hours downtown (Union Station area) before going to Anaheim. Any restaurant recommendations in Chinatown?
Ironically, the best Chinese stuff is not in Chinatown; it's in Monterey Park. You'll be close to Little Tokyo and Koreatown, though, and there are a lot of good things in those.

Is Chinatown in any area in the US the best place for Chinese food? Maybe this is true in the East Coast but for LA and SF, it certainly isn't the case.

zeemumu

Well the actual part is shut off for some event but they're still selling the stuff. Backslash I retrieved something for you

And apparently they DO sell working marauders maps but they're $60

Top Bottom