• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

I hope I did okay in CS240.

Well guys you remember my big rant about girls and Asian girls specifically before? Well, another shitty thing happened again. So a friend/coworker of mine is applying for her passport and needed a guarantor to sign off on said passport along with some photocopied version of her IDs. I did all that no problem since I am happy to help. Know her for two years which is the minimum time required in order to be a guarantor. Anyways, the government called me the other day to begin verifying her application process so I answered all the questions truthfully no problem such as estimation of her height, weight, names, age... Etc. Then they asked about signed documents by me, so I told them when and what I signed. They then caught me off guard by asking me questions about a particular document that I don't remember signing. So I told them that I'm not aware of signing those specific document at the specific time they mentioned. They go ok and afterward hung up. A few short hours later, my friend came to me saying that she forgot to tell me that she forged my signature on a new piece of document, and asked if I can just tell the government that I did sign the document. I was so shocked by her request because I am not comfortable with lying to the government about forgery on a federal document. Certainly that is probably illegal and I don't want anything to do with it. She kept insisting and asking me what can she do in this situation after started slowly realizing how big of a screw up she just made. She forged my signature thinking I'd just let her do whatever and have no problem but clearly didn't think of the potential consequence. I was so busy with work that day I really didn't have time to be babysitting her given I have deadline due later that day. But she was doing the whole stupid cute thing again like "ohhhhhh cmon please you gotta help meeeee" that bothered me greatly. Makes me think she must always gets what she wants by doing that to others, which is why she didn't think about the consequences of such situation. I am once again disappointed by my fellow Asian girls. How can I ever trust again??? Sorry for the long rant but I am so pissed off. Ughhhhhh...

Forunately after some research, I don't believe this will harm me as it is all her doing. I don't want to get into trouble with my government.

In terms of getting into trouble you might be overreacting. You're not gonna get into trouble for having your signature forged. That's probably the reason that they asked in the first place: to verify that she didn't pull something and that you actually signed. They're not gonna pull a fast one on you and go "AHA! JAIL!" especially since you didn't lie to them about it (yet). But if she's your friend she won't put your neck on the line for her when you were already doing her a favor. You already told her that you're not willing to lie to the government for her.

I'm glad you learned something.

If you want to know something else about food with a Chinese person, try attempting to pay for your meal (or splitting it equally) the first time you eat with them. Especially if you're younger than them.

Bewareeeeee.

Is this why you refused to let me pay at the sushi place?

I already avoid making new friends much anymore yet stuff like this still happens ugh. We are all professionals fairly older in age too not like we are young twenty-something. I have know her to have sort of a princess syndrome but never thought she'd do this.

Save me Asian GAF and bring back some hope to me!

Ah yes the princess syndrome. I heard of a guy who spends $500 a month on his girlfriend, girls who shop at Holt Renfrew like it's a grocery store, and have a "list" of things they want in a guy (which are all material).

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/02/22/chinas-rich-kids-head-west

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Thanks for all your support guys. So I said no and that she need to figure out a way to fix it herself without relying on me (since she was nagging by my side for the longest time on what can she do back during the day the whole thing happened). Finally, over the weekend, she said she's going to withdraw her application and start a new one with a new guarantor. I think that should work so I am no longer going to be involved with all this craziness. Glad it is all taken care of !

I need better friends, guys =_= I have also just joined the Asian GAF Discord. Who is who on there ? Thanks for the invite, by the way.

Duress

If I here someone say they don't want brussel sprouts, instead of bean sprouts, in their fried rice, I'm going to slap someone.

Llyranor

The only thing that's hot garbage is brussel sprouts

And hahaha princess syndrome. That's an instant dealbreaker for me. Also, committing fraud in my name, that's another dealbreaker :D

Sarye

ROFL.
I miss Japan, and I miss the food there. BTW, I love your note about top of the page and food. I think we should institute a top of the page post + food trend.
Haha if there is one thing Asians will rally together for it's pictures of food.

However, this doesn't work with nonAsian Americans, because they don't really make an effort to tell us apart.
I don't disagree. My point was that it's hard to tell who's the nonAsian American and who's the Asian Americans. If I had posted in there, it would have seemed like I agreed with them.

Ah yes the princess syndrome. I heard of a guy who spends $500 a month on his girlfriend, girls who shop at Holt Renfrew like it's a grocery store, and have a "list" of things they want in a guy (which are all material).

I think a lot of this.. especially with Chinese women is the byproduct of the one child policy. I've heard China has relaxed that policy now but what happens is you get a disproportionate amount Men vs Women on top of the social aspect of being an only child.

My problem with all this is that people think this kind of behavior is inherently Chinese rather than a byproduct of the situation. As if people of different cultures/ethnicities would act differently if put in the similar situations.

Let's take some examples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s--3Oq7XLA

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_adgG8Ba2Q

finite resources-> mob mentality...

Or how about my favorite one..
Chinese people will defecate on the streets-> all mainlanders have poor hygiene

San Francisco has a pooping problem- But hey we don't draw the conclusion that all Americans shit where they walk..

Look..people do shitty things. It happens and isn't culture specific.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
But yeah, I won't get banned Cybit (at least for THAT thread), so I'll leave it alone and mutter at the ground.

Huzzah!

Also, as for your comment about trying to pay for someone else's meal - this is where I point out I'm pretty sure I'm older than you, so when I come visit..get ready to deal with it. :p

Also, what the heck is discord? What is Asian-GAF Discord? WHY AM I TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT? :p

Huzzah!

Also, as for your comment about trying to pay for someone else's meal - this is where I point out I'm pretty sure I'm older than you, so when I come visit..get ready to deal with it. :p

Also, what the heck is discord? What is Asian-GAF Discord? WHY AM I TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT? :p

oldasianmanyellingatclouds.png

Huzzah!

I just found out what it is as well..can I get invited into the group?

Discord is a social media communication app. Tons of twitch streamers or people who game in communities use it in-place of teamspeak.

I need to get in on it but I don't have a decent microphone. Just a headset and headset mics are terrible.

cdyhybrid

My problem with all this is that people think this kind of behavior is inherently Chinese rather than a byproduct of the situation. As if people of different cultures/ethnicities would act differently if put in the similar situations.

Let's take some examples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s--3Oq7XLA

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_adgG8Ba2Q

finite resources-> mob mentality...

Or how about my favorite one..
Chinese people will defecate on the streets-> all mainlanders have poor hygiene

San Francisco has a pooping problem- But hey we don't draw the conclusion that all Americans shit where they walk..

Look..people do shitty things. It happens and isn't culture specific.
Spot on.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'll send Asian Discord invites via PM as soon as I get on my main computer! Watch out for them :D

It's a little ironic there's a huge circle jerk thread right now on GAF about racial bias. You can imagine what is in it.

(Hint: lots of insufferable self righteous posts about how holy they are and how racists are all scum.) It's irrational, but that thread almost annoys me more than the other one.

(Also holy shit I'm really worried for y'all that are brown and/or Muslim, especially in Europe. Stay safe :(( )

Welcome :D

(Yeah feels like we gotta watch out for ourselves because no one else does. Which is fine IMHO.)

Haha don't worry I felt that way the first time someone me mentioned it to me. I was thinking of using Ventrilo (damn I'm old).

And also you can't call dibs on paying for me because my partner might be older than you so bring it on >=o

The GAF racial circle jerk is hilariously real, alas. Best part is seeing some of the holier than thou posters being racist asshats in other threads. Everybody is afraid of the other. Just gotta learn how to manage it as best as you can.

Hah, I think I might be one of the old men yelling at clouds in Asian-GAF (I am 31). I'll be expecting to pay. ;-)

Discord is a social media communication app. Tons of twitch streamers or people who game in communities use it in-place of teamspeak.

I need to get in on it but I don't have a decent microphone. Just a headset and headset mics are terrible.

I feel older now since I don't even really understand the explanation. :(

Llyranor

The advantage of Discord is free private servers. And you can use a link to connect to it via a browser (which is pretty convenient - but it's not as good as the program). And you can use the mobile app to chat on your phone with your group.

Otherwise it's pretty much just teamspeak/ventrilo.

Sober

The buffet thread is a bit of a predicament mostly because I know exactly why there's a social and historical context (even before someone pointed it out in the thread) why mainland Chinese (tourists or otherwise) might act this way.

But as someone who only marginally identifies as a Konger (I was born there and moved to Canada when I was 2 months old, so I'm really just Canadian) and someone who works retail and deals a lot with obvious Mandarin speakers, good lord are they rude as fuck. I understand why but that doesn't change the fact that I have to deal with them day in day out and they refuse to give ground even when I offer to help them. Like literally 4/5 or 9/10 of them are rude or will look at me with contempt because they either smell the Hong Kong on me or that I don't speak Mandarin. I've met some obnoxiously rude ones too that wear that grudge like a badge of pride.

Not all of them are bad either, etc., etc. but I think I've already posted at length about this a while back and honestly I wish it weren't as clear cut but it's pretty infuriating.

Sober

The advantage of Discord is free private servers. And you can use a link to connect to it via a browser (which is pretty convenient - but it's not as good as the program). And you can use the mobile app to chat on your phone with your group.

Otherwise it's pretty much just teamspeak/ventrilo.
Honestly I'm enjoying Discord a lot and also TS/Vent and all those feel like they're still stuck in the 90s or early aughts. Literally just having a mobile app I never cared about until I realized how it synced up just like that.

And also having what amounts to an IRC client that you can just jump into voice chat seamlessly. And that text chat also has @mentions which is awesome cause that means I don't have to set up inane IRC scripts for me to be alerted if someone replies to me about something. Along with a bunch of other things that got made easier instead of having to memorize actual IRC client shortcuts.

Like honestly Discord almost works just as well even if you aren't a gamer or not a PC gamer because it doesn't require you to spend a bunch of time setting it up to get it to work right. It just almost works out of the box which is a relief.

StMeph

Discord has the added advantage of being able to run directly through your browser without installing any other program.

And it's free.

cdyhybrid

Bruh... haha

Ahhh k. Guess I'm so out of the loop on these things because I never felt to need to chat while playing games. I guess if I played like FPS or an MMO with some gigantic clan then it would be something I look into.
Lots of people use it to coordinate matchups/pick up games for fighting and sports games too.

zeemumu

I love brussel sprouts btw. I just haven't mastered making them.

Also Discord invites went out. Let me know if you don't get one in the next hour, thanks.

If I sent you an invite before and resent it to you, I'm really sorry. Only a few of the names in Discord match GAF usernames, so I'm just sending them to everyone in this thread.

Don't feel obligated to take it :p

Brussel sprouts and cooked spinach are my hate foods.

e32173652e9b501173477cf9fcd0b50c.jpg

zeemumu

Isn't the age range of this thread like 23-29?

I'm 21.

I remember Steve St. Helen.

The things that I remember watching as a kid make very little sense. I remember watching Rugrats, Fairly Oddparents, Invader Zim, Kablaam, Ducktales, etc. when I was a kid, but I also remember watching Mighty Mouse, Casper, Felix the Cat, Little Lulu, and Popeye. They didn't show reruns for most of these and most were also in black and white/relatively new technicolor.

Top Bottom