• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

So I'm back from Disneyland. Thanks for the recommendations. We actually survived without a car but we allotted a lot of time to getting around. Public transit is a bit slow and unreliable (some rail stations were closed on the weekend), but it was pretty clean and cheap.

Didn't have the time to check out Din Tai Fung or other Asian food places though. Disneyland is kind of lacking in that department.

zeemumu

So I'm back from Disneyland. Thanks for the recommendations. We actually survived without a car but we allotted a lot of time to getting around. Public transit is a bit slow and unreliable (some rail stations were closed on the weekend), but it was pretty clean and cheap.

Didn't have the time to check out Din Tai Fung or other Asian food places though. Disneyland is kind of lacking in that department.

There's one that I know of and it's in California Adventure. It's meh.

Yeah I did see that and wasn't impressed with the reviews. Went to Pacific Wharf instead for the bread bowl.

World of Color was fantastic. They cancelled the fireworks though due to wind. :(

zeemumu

Yeah I did see that and wasn't impressed with the reviews. Went to Pacific Wharf instead for the bread bowl.

World of Color was fantastic. They cancelled the fireworks though due to wind. :(

Yeah but you probably got the 60th anniversary world of color with Neil Patrick Harris, right? That one's crap compared to the standard one.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before but if not, if you want to support Asian American rappers, now is your chance to catch this film about them:

Bad Rap

At the Tribeca Film Festival. I believe they've been premiering the film in New York for a bit now.

I would really like it if they garner more funds and interest to come to Minnesota. That would be sick.

Yeah but you probably got the 60th anniversary world of color with Neil Patrick Harris, right? That one's crap compared to the standard one.

Yeah I didn't really like NPH. The Star Wars bit felt shoe-horned (Star Tours footage and TFA trailer, really?) as well.

zeemumu

Yeah I didn't really like NPH. The Star Wars bit felt shoe-horned (Star Tours footage and TFA trailer, really?) as well.

It made sense for the timespan that they were making the show for. Season of the Force and Episode VII were still the pinnacles of hype at the time.

Grakl

Yo. I heard spam musubi wasn't had.

Go try some.

There's a food truck here that serves it that's up later this year hmmm

I just cut it in slices and marinate it in brown sugar and soy sauce before pan frying it for a nice, crispy finish with a slight teriyaki-like glaze. I then make really thin egg slices (also fried), and put that, some normal jasmine rice, and the spam inside seaweed rolls, creating small, almost bite-sized spam musubi... uh, nigiri?

You should try it! SUPER simple to make, no special equipment needed. I think other recipes put in stuff like oyster sauce.
I'll def try making it, always like cooking anything new, thanks for the tips

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alright serious questions for fellow Asians. Which instant noodle is your favourite? I vote Shin :D

packet.jpg

Alright serious questions for fellow Asians. Which instant noodle is your favourite? I vote Shin :D

Shin Ramyun, Sapporo Ichiban, Wai Wai, MaMa. Last three are because of how varied they all are. Beef, shrimp, chicken, duck, etc.

Then for pricier ones are the Laksa noodles and their ilk. More taste but worth it.

Saya

I really like this Indomie Goreng one.

Although I don't eat instant noodles as much as I used to. I usually just buy a pack of noodles and cook them up with a combination of soy sauce, garlic, chili peppers, and whatnot. Whatever's available haha. It doesn't take that much longer to cook.

lol i think i eat maybe 3 packs a year.

You've gotta understand, we Hmong people have alot of people in a household. I eat them when it's last resort or when I'm really craving them.

A 24 pack with 4-5 people can go for a while because we cook so the noodles stay where they are until we want to eat them.

Oxn

You've gotta understand, we Hmong people have alot of people in a household. I eat them when it's last resort or when I'm really craving them.

A 24 pack with 4-5 people can go for a while because we cook so the noodles stay where they are until we want to eat them.

Ohhhh i thought you meant you yourself go through 24 packs in 1-2 months haha.

Ohhhh i thought you meant you yourself go through 24 packs in 1-2 months haha.

Gods no, that would kill me lol. When I properly prepare my noodles, it's nearly a meal hah. Greens, eggs/various meats, different seasonings, and maybe a small bowl of rice. Fills me up until I get a proper meal :p

I haven't had instant ramen in a long time. I remember the one I liked had a white bag, though. I may have been a Korean brand.

Instant cold soba is surprisingly good, too.

Instant udon is almost always bad.

Moonkid

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before but if not, if you want to support Asian American rappers, now is your chance to catch this film about them:

Bad Rap

At the Tribeca Film Festival. I believe they've been premiering the film in New York for a bit now.

I would really like it if they garner more funds and interest to come to Minnesota. That would be sick.
Yo this is my stuff right here, thanks for the link! Will definitely have to check it out if it gets some kind of release in New Zealand. I love DFD, great rapper.

NetMapel

Gods no, that would kill me lol. When I properly prepare my noodles, it's nearly a meal hah. Greens, eggs/various meats, different seasonings, and maybe a small bowl of rice. Fills me up until I get a proper meal :p

So healthy~ Sometimes I just boil a pot of water and make the noodle fast. Usually because I get home late from work and am too tired to make proper food :(

clav

That gets my vote for Korean instant ramen. Instant-Anchovy soup bases are good, too.

I like Shin Black, tbh. The other kinds of noodles are just too... off for me?

I've tried a lot of the top rated instant ramen, too.

I like the anchovy base in the Black version.

As for Japan outside of Sun Noodle:

bwvhrQF.jpg

Although this is technically yakisoba with nori.

I haven't had instant ramen in a long time. I remember the one I liked had a white bag, though. I may have been a Korean brand.

Instant cold soba is surprisingly good, too.

Instant udon is almost always bad.

I think I just don't like udon. Something about it makes me not like it.

Scarecrow

Is there anyone here from Myanmar, Cambodia, or Laos? Could you give me a rundown on what you think of your respective country? I'm currently teaching in Vietnam and am thinking about shifting to one of these countries next.

Is there anyone here from Myanmar, Cambodia, or Laos? Could you give me a rundown on what you think of your respective country? I'm currently teaching in Vietnam and am thinking about shifting to one of these countries next.

Well, this doesn't necessarily correlate to what you want but Hmong people are from Laos. Thailand, Laos, and China.

My two oldest siblings are from Laos but they left when they were so young :(

I've always wanted to visit Laos personally.

What I've heard from my OGs who came back from Laos or Thailand is that they are so different compared to the US (obviously) but they enjoyed themselves and enjoyed being in a place where they are accepted. They don't necessarily talk about the politics of Laos though if that's what you wanted to know. I just know that they came back happy and wanted to go back.

Hope that helps ^_^

Should've read the OP first before reading the last 2 pages! D:

Hiya Asian-GAF! Fellow Asian here~

Just saw the thread in OT and decided to pop in.

Objection

Banned
It's probably because most people associate Vietnamese food with pho and banh mi rather than the really high end French-Vietnamese cuisine.

Eh, I like pho. o_O It's the traditional stuff I had in mind, I like how they mix different flavors in one dish.

And doesn't banh mi originate from the French?

So, I'm trying to speak to my son in Chinese (Mandarin), and I'm realizing two things:

1. Because my own dad passed away when I was a baby, I don't think I've ever spoken the words, "爸爸" before in my life, prior to today, and it feels really weird to refer to myself as that.
2. English kind of sucks for baby talk. Even something as simple as "擦擦嘴" would transliterate to "wipe wipe mouth" and sound really stupid.

NetMapel

Yeah start teaching your son hardcore math or biology already. Prepare him for a life of engineer or doctor! Hahaha

My uncle and aunt like to brag about how they read Romance of the 3 Kingdoms to my breadwinner of a cousin when he was young every night before bed and at the age of 4 or 5, he started reading it back to them.

Yeah.

My favorite was the abalone and sea cucumber. A lot of gweilo at our table didn't want to eat it so I got 3 or 4 slices instead of just 1... happiness :D.

(If you're familiar with how Asian banquets go you'll know why this is amazing haha.)

I don't really like abalone (texture doesn't do it for me) but sea cucumber is awesome

Erheller

Should've read the OP first before reading the last 2 pages! D:

Hiya Asian-GAF! Fellow Asian here~

Just saw the thread in OT and decided to pop in.

Hey, I recognize you from the Ys/Trails community threads. Welcome!

My uncle and aunt like to brag about how they read Romance of the 3 Kingdoms to my breadwinner of a cousin when he was young every night before bed and at the age of 4 or 5, he started reading it back to them.

Way off topic, but I've always kind of wanted to read RtK and Journey to the West. Are there good English translations of these?

Top Bottom