• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

To be totally honest, all the food I ate tonight was the same stuff I eat at Chinese wedding seafood banquets haha.

What I really love here is nem nuong.

DSCF8391.jpg

There's a place near me named Brodard that is amazing.

Which Brodards do you like more? The one in the strip mall or the one in the fancy lodge next to the car dealerships? Also, have you tried Summer Rolls in Rosemead? That's my go-to place for nem nuong.

zeemumu

To be totally honest, all the food I ate tonight was the same stuff I eat at Chinese wedding seafood banquets haha.

What I really love here is nem nuong.

DSCF8391.jpg

There's a place near me named Brodard that is amazing.

That looks delicious. I need to go there. Speaking of which, it's lunch time and I hunger.

Instead of being productive this weekend, I spent it pretty much marathoning the second half of Reply 1988

Shit's so good

But the episodes are so damn long

Did you have fun :D. Anything particularly awesome?

Haven't seen you in awhile.

I went to the one in the strip mall, and no I haven't been to Summer Rolls. I'll have to check it out sometime.

I'm on GAF pretty much every day but I usually just lurk unless I have something I feel is noteworthy enough to post. I was in Arcadia on Sunday and ate Dim Sum and Hot Pot though. Should have taken pictures because it was ridiculous how much food we ate. We could have done all you can eat at hot pot for $22, but the people I was with said they weren't that hungry. We ended up spending $40/person. It was pretty delicious though!

SystemBug

Soylent? I use Soylent 2.0 for breakfast most days, and I could see how you could maybe just have five bottles per day to hit your caloric and nutrient requirements.

Nah I make my own. Put 1 banana in, a few strawberries, plain greek yogurt, and some Hemp Heart samples I have been stealing from the grocery store nearby. well not really stealing if they are free samples lol. Usually I put in my protein powder but I ran out. Actually got the blender a few weeks ago so I have been having fun with it.

Are you hoping to lose shake weight?

Kinda yes. Like I'm not fat by any means, but I am trying to cut down atleast 5-6 pounds but I also want to maximize my protein intake hence the yogurt and hemp. I'm currently at around 141.5 - 144 pounds (height is 5.7) depending on the time of the day, I want to get to 138.

Nah I make my own. Put 1 banana in, a few strawberries, plain greek yogurt, and some Hemp Heart samples I have been stealing from the grocery store nearby. well not really stealing if they are free samples lol. Usually I put in my protein powder but I ran out. Actually got the blender a few weeks ago so I have been having fun with it.
Are you on Team Vitamix or Team Blendtec?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Did you have fun :D. Anything particularly awesome?

Cosplay was fun - I sort of adore all the little Rey cosplays running around. Seeing friends and spending time with them was the best part, IMO. The actress who played Chiana on Farscape had a panel and it was a blast. She's insane. It was fantastic. Also met Nathan Fillion and Sean Astin (though Melissa Benoist had to cancel, which made me SUPER SAD. I have the largest of crushes on Supergirl).

I am slowly starting to get the representation thing, at least for little kids. (I'm Indian, grew up in the 80s and 90s, and in the midwest. I don't ever expect to see any kind of Indian male hero out of Hollywood, hah).

Also went to the Heroes of the Dorm tournament in Seattle - ended up on ESPN I think, lol.

Not sure if you guys have read about this yet.

Taiwanese 'forced on to plane to China' by police in Kenya

Essentially, 37 Taiwanese citizens in Kenya were forcibly deported to China on suspicion of fraud, despite the fact that they're not even from China. Kenya, like a lot of countries, doesn't recognize Taiwan as an independent nation.

It's abduction at this point. China has no right to do this, and it's just infuriating that they get away with shit like this. Criminals or not, they're Taiwanese citizens that should be punished by their own country, not China.

Kaze Kyou

Not sure if you guys have read about this yet.

Taiwanese 'forced on to plane to China' by police in Kenya

Essentially, 37 Taiwanese citizens in Kenya were forcibly deported to China on suspicion of fraud, despite the fact that they're not even from China. Kenya, like a lot of countries, doesn't recognize Taiwan as an independent nation.

It's abduction at this point. China has no right to do this, and it's just infuriating that they get away with shit like this. Criminals or not, they're Taiwanese citizens that should be punished by their own country, not China.

It's unsurprising. When I was freelancing in Taiwan, some of my clients' clients stopped all business with them because their country would officially renounce Taiwan as a country to appease their Chinese economic ties.

Taiwan's in a super shitty spot. It's got the potential to become an awesome Singapore, but it's always being held back by China politically. Economically, the baby boomers have sunk their claws too deep into the Chinese honey pot, so any thought of independence and financial independence is a fantasy (for now).

StMeph

Taiwan's in a super shitty spot. It's got the potential to become an awesome Singapore, but it's always being held back by China politically. Economically, the baby boomers have sunk their claws too deep into the Chinese honey pot, so any thought of independence and financial independence is a fantasy (for now).

It's politically complicated because China has been explicit about responding swiftly with its military to any claims of Taiwanese independence, so while it might play well to voters, it's not likely to happen. The US similarly pushes to preserve the detente because it would be pulled into any armed conflict there.

As I understand it, the possibility of US intervention is the only thing holding China back from doing anything right now. I'm sure Taiwan wouldn't be too eager to jeopardize that, either.

StMeph

The US is still obligated to sell weapons to Taiwan for self-defense, but its own economic and strategic interests have, for the last 10-20 years, been realigning toward China, for obvious reasons.

China's general policy is that of inevitability. As the closest and strongest trade partner to Taiwan, it's willing to be patient and let momentum and inertia see reunification through, especially as Taiwan gradually loses global political allies. But China absolutely will not sit quietly and abide talk about Taiwanese independence because the Communist Party is extremely sensitive to the subject at home, and relenting with Taiwan may lead to other domestic claims of independence.

Within Taiwan, some portion of the population still consider themselves Chinese, not just ethnically, but nationally. To them, it's easier to accept the status quo without pushing for clear independence or actual reunification. There are others who want independence, but there isn't a clear path to it without provoking war. A referendum was called in 2004, but it stopped short of calling for a vote on independence.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
As I understand it, the possibility of US intervention is the only thing holding China back from doing anything right now. I'm sure Taiwan wouldn't be too eager to jeopardize that, either.

Pretty much. The US Navy has a massive (and very nuclear) presence between China and Taiwan. For a long time, the belief was that a Taiwan / China exchange would be the start of WWIII (as the US response would be full scale, most likely)

Are we really surprised though.

Asians are GOAT at everything we touch in America :p

we got the best food, the best education, the best neighborhoods, the best schools, the best cars, just winning at everything

win win win all the time, everywhere

everything we touch turns to gold i tell ya

/asiantrump

Did you just paraphrase the Got Rice song?

suzu

I don't care about GitS, but I'm so tired of the anime character looks white thing. lol

Reminds me of when people were being dismissive to complaints about the whitewashing in The Last Airbender movie, despite that world being heavily steeped in Asian/Inuit cultures.

The movie is most likely going to bomb anyway.

nukedeggs

I don't care about GitS, but I'm so tired of the anime character looks white thing. lol

Reminds me of when people were being dismissive to complaints about the whitewashing in The Last Airbender movie, despite that world being heavily steeped in Asian/Inuit cultures.

The movie is most likely going to bomb anyway.
Same here, it's the worst. It's like impossible to change people's minds about it too.

Anyways yeah I have no plans of watching it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I won't. I'm working on my capstone, draft due to my advisor today.

<vigoroustheaterclap.gif>

I actually didn't realize y'all were referring to that thread until after I posted.

Brain. fried. oops.

HMPH.

That thread is...something. Shouta and I were talking about it on FB - and he brought up a good point that casting ScarJo for that role is almost meta, considering what GitS is about (he can explain the point way better than I can, if he wants to, lol). But sucks to see a potentially rare opportunity go away because Lucy made a fuck-ton of money.

cdyhybrid

One of the problems with economic policy and theory is that you can pretty much find any data/study to back what you think.

I'm trying to present what I feel is a balanced, fair view, by tapping into conservative think tanks like the Heritage Foundation, articles from the WSJ and Fortune, as well as citing actual studies and also turning to renown experts in economics / tax (like from Harvard Business School), etc.

Still, the implications of what I'm saying are kinda... well, to put it bluntly, corporations are greedy motherfuckers and we should punish them when they invert because simply being nice to them does nothing and they just take advantage of it.
I mean, that's pretty much common knowledge. Some people just think there's nothing wrong with that &#129300;

SRG01

One of the problems with economic policy and theory is that you can pretty much find any data/study to back what you think. & with tax policy, you can't run research or experiments on it, unlike other fields where you actually have math. The logic being sound really depends on which side you're coming from.. in some ways, it feels like it's still a rhetorical argument.

I'm trying to present what I feel is a balanced, fair view, by tapping into conservative think tanks like the Heritage Foundation, articles from the WSJ and Fortune, as well as citing actual studies and also turning to renown experts in economics / tax (like from Harvard Business School), etc.

Still, the implications of what I'm saying are kinda... well, to put it bluntly, corporations are greedy motherfuckers and we should punish them when they invert because simply being nice to them does nothing and they just take advantage of it. I'm also trying super hard not to be biased here...

That's not going as well I think. I might put up bits and pieces of what I find here later. Maybe y'all can tell me how to tone down my shit.

Appeal to his right-leaning thinking by arguing in terms of opportunity, and how that inequality removes opportunity from an otherwise productive citizen.

Top Bottom