• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Hey I am headed to Orlando right now!

Also I got into that fits thread. To borrow someone else's vernacular- hold me back, fam.

But seriously it's not as bad as I thought.

<holds Bunny back>
<gets giant pile of candy and sugar and throws it the opposite way from the GitS thread>

Now we have another thread about GitS where they're trying to use CGI to make ScarJo and white actors look more Asian. Happy Friday y'all!

I'm 99% convinced that article is bullshit when it comes to ScarJo. The timing is way too fucking clickbait-y / outrage building.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The fact that they did it for background characters is outrage building enough.

If they had gone forward with it in the movie, then maybe. But it's pretty clear in the article that they were like "holy shit, this is a terrible idea", and kiboshed it immediately. Which, while not the shining example of progress we'd hope, is still some progress.

Big eyes and rainbow hair are intrinsic to white people.
latest

zeemumu

I didn't know there are a lot of people out there that think Japanese anime characters look white by default....

What? Phoenix Wright isn't white? B-but the burgers!

Next you're gonna tell me that these aren't donuts

hqdefault.jpg

You could always meet in the middle with Jotaro, who is half-white half-japanese

So I'm house-sitting for my sister and brother-in-law and I decided to finally learn to cook. I decided to make some ghetto noodle dish. No pics because I don't know the wi-fi password :(

Some packs of instant ramen noodles boiled
Diced Beef
Onions
Diced Garlic
Red and Green Bell Peppers
Hoisin Sauce
A little bit of Soy Sauce
Salt
No Oil but I decided to splash in some water

Some other seasonings that I forgot about. I added in the noodles too late. It came out plain tasting but the rest tasted good to me. I guess I could've looked for some broth seasonings like chicken or pork broth sauce.

I still have the rest of the week to practice my cooking skills though!

SRG01

So I'm house-sitting for my sister and brother-in-law and I decided to finally learn to cook. I decided to make some ghetto noodle dish. No pics because I don't know the wi-fi password :(

Some packs of instant ramen noodles boiled
Diced Beef
Onions
Diced Garlic
Red and Green Bell Peppers
Hoisin Sauce
A little bit of Soy Sauce
Salt
No Oil but I decided to splash in some water

Some other seasonings that I forgot about. I added in the noodles too late. It came out plain tasting but the rest tasted good to me. I guess I could've looked for some broth seasonings like chicken or pork broth sauce.

I still have the rest of the week to practice my cooking skills though!

I don't think you can add in the noodles too late. Put them in too early and they disintegrate, especially if they're instant ramen and you have ingredients that give off water when cooked.

Grakl

Should've just let it simmer for a while if you were srs and added noodles at the very end

Usually I just boil water and pour into bowl that has noodles and rest of ingredients, cover and let everything cook for five minutes or so

Blackhead

Redarse
Did you read that Ars article about how it wasn't the meteor that killed all the dinosaurs?

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/dinosaurs-werent-wiped-out-by-that-meteorite-after-all/

I read that article. It's not accurate. Some of the genre were in decline, but others were on the raise. They think everything must survive and die at the same time, when in fact a lot of them die at different rates. Think about it, most sauropods died at the end of the Jurassic. That in and of itself is an extinction event, but it wasn't a massive one, as they were replaced by the raise of the Ornithopods and Titanosaurs. The same was happening at the end of the Cretaceous, but they were unlucky and also had to deal with the impact.

Strange to see this piece getting attention now since it was talked about a few years ago, and a lot of paleontologists I knew didn't buy it.

I'm gonna be in LA the weekend of May 7th. Anyone want to meet up? Me and bunny are gonna meet up, but want to know if anyone else wants to join

I don't have many comments on the Liang case, but I am a little bit concerned about the black/Asian relationship, which is already pretty shitty in some parts, being even more strained..

So things I didn't know about the case.

- He didn't actually point the gun at the victim but rather the ricochet struck the victim in the chest

-Dude called his union rep instead of an ambulance.

I'm not going to to defend him but sounds like the guy wasn't fit for service or wasn't properly trained in the first place. What a terrible tragedy. All I can say is that my heart goes out to the victim and his family.

StMeph

I'll try to be available, but I can't promise anything, due to baby.

The solution, of course, is to bring the baby. Expose your offspring to GAF as early as possible as a preemptive vaccination.

"You don't understand what I'm saying yet, but these people are from the internet."

zeemumu

I don't have many comments on the Liang case, but I am a little bit concerned about the black/Asian relationship, which is already pretty shitty in some parts, being even more strained.

Hopefully nothing like the LA Riots happens in NY. At least voting is done, so there won't be a lot of people outside in case something goes down.

EXCUSE ME ZEEMUMU WHERE ARE YOU. Sept has a baby so ionno.

I have class on the 7th until about 4pm. I don't know how late you guys are hanging out.

My mistake, I was looking at the wrong month. It's a Saturday. Sure, I'm down.

zeemumu

I was never a Ghost in the Shell fan so I'm somewhat removed from that discussion but I did find the quote about Milla Jovovich being the most likely person to play her in 1996 amusing. But between Speed Racer, Dragon Ball Evolution, and The Last Airbender, I'm pretty wary of adaptations when they start exhibiting the same behaviors before release.

Welp, I've put it off for long enough, here's the second half of my Asia trip. BTW, sorry if I kill your computer or mobile with these pics

Part one if you missed it, Shanghai and Beijing.

Katsu Don

Soba noodle soup at Honke Owariya, a 550 year old restaurant. These were the wife's.

And mine... Their house speciality with a tower of 5 fresh soba noodles and accompanying sides. Best soba I've ever had.

Kobe Beef Sashimi

"Kobe" Beef steak. A5 grade, marbling absolutely insane. I'm using quotes since this was actually from the Nagasaki prefecture. I've had the Kobe region beef before, but the Nagasaki is better IMO, plus tourists now just ask specifically for "Kobe Beef" (since they don't really know what means) and the prices are more expensive then the other regions.

Fish cakes we ate

Ramen at Kyoto Kairikiya

The start of our Kaiseki Meal at a Ryokan in Hakone

Our sashimi plate from the Kaiseki:

Our fish dish from the Kaiseki

Tempura... still the same meal...

...And the rest. Shabu Shabu, Veggies, Noodles.

And our breakfast in the AM at the Ryokan.

Ichiran Ramen. Some of the best ramen I've had.

Rokurinsha Tsukumen

Finally, (this may be more appropriate for the fine dining thread) but we went to Narisawa. Fantastic meal.

So that was our trip. Combined with the China portion, it was a great time. We ate way too much.

Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled race/white-washing topics. Carry on Asian-Gaf.

Blackhead

Redarse
The ScarJo stuff is tiring. How about a positive Crazy Ex Girlfriend article instead?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...sian_bro_love_interest_is_groundbreaking.html

Interesting link, thanks for the read although
Slate said:
But there’s a vast gulf between getting America to embrace a loving, human portrayal of a Taiwanese immigrant family on Fresh Off the Boat, or a wacky physician on Dr. Ken, and presenting on prime-time TV a single and mingling Asian man whom college women of all races in Ohio would conceivably want to bone.
to be fair to FotB, the middle son, Emery, is shown to have many female admirers of all races and a recent episode was shown to be a talent athelte

Zoe

Interesting link, thanks for the read although

to be fair to FotB, the middle son, Emery, is shown to have many female admirers of all races and a recent episode was shown to be a talent athelte

Well, we're talking about making Asian men desirable sex objects here, so you probably don't want to bring a child into the discussion :lol

I guess you just forgot to take photos of shengjian? &#23567;&#26472;&#29983;&#29006; more specifically. Nice pics though. Best part of living in Shanghai is the food. And everything else.

Ya know, it's funny. I know we ate some, but I'm not sure if we have pictures. That being said, my wife came back with close to 7500 photos, and I probably skimmed through them pretty fast and may have missed it.

Top Bottom