• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Llyranor

Pork chop buns in Macau were pretty good.

Otherwise, since I don't like gambling, I didn't find much to like about it. It was crowded, hot, and humid. And for sightseeing, there are some old Portuguese ruins, which is good if you've never been to Europe, I guess.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Have you eaten Indian curry?
Yep. It was awhile ago but I remember being way more curry than rice. The Japanese place I went to favored the rice.

Prefer the Indian one I had tbh. Though this was cheaper and had a bunch of other stuff with it like tonkatsu. Also I think it's a chain restaurant so that could explain the ratio

BTW, what's up with Asians (maybe just east Asians?) not being able to pronounce foreign words that requires their tongues to vibrate? I have no problem with them, but more often than not, many of them can't do it. I wonder why?

How many of you guys can pronounce words that require tongue rolling?

Moonkid

I couldn't roll my tongue until I learned how to in my singing lessons. I started off with vibrating my lips then somehow transferring that to my tongue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. It's still tricky though so I don't roll them in conversation, pulled it off for some songs in choir though which was why I learned to in the first place.

edit: Should add I'm Korean, though I didn't grow up there.

BTW, what's up with Asians (maybe just east Asians?) not being able to pronounce foreign words that requires their tongues to vibrate? I have no problem with them, but more often than not, many of them can't do it. I wonder why?

I can't do it 50% of the time when I want to do it. It's weird, I'll admit it.

Can you give an example?

StMeph

I assume with tongue rolling he's specifically referring to the rolled Rs in Spanish (and other similar Latin/Romance languages).

I also can't roll Rs.

mercviper

I can roll mine np. Don't remember if i ever had a problem with it. Just kinda loosely position my tongue behind the top front teeth and exhale slowly.

Breakage

Buddhists?

Uh, yeah? There's plenty of people who are vegetarians for religious reasons.

Yeah...why would you think otherwise? Also, historically, East Asians eat way less meat than Europeans

I live in an area of London where there's significant Chinese and Vietnamese communities. I've never come across a vegetarian from either ethnic group.
Chinese friends I know tell me that vegetarianism isn't really a thing in China.
Are there any particular East Asian ethnic groups that are more likely than others to have a vegetarian population?

I live in an area of London where there's significant Chinese and Vietnamese communities. I've never come across a vegetarian from either ethnic group.
Chinese friends I know tell me that vegetarianism isn't really a thing in China.
Are there any particular East Asian ethnic groups that are more likely than others to have a vegetarian population?

ugh as a Vietnamese we have a lot of people who are vegetarians. Hell I see restaurants that pop up every few months that are just vegetarians.

Breakage

It depends.

On one hand, due to the widespread poverty in China, meat used to be considered a delicacy/rare food substance, so while many people didn't eat meat, it didn't mean it was by choice.

However, there are certain groups that ARE vegetarian by choice.

I don't know about the latter- none of my friends are vegetarian, and although most of my family is Buddhist, none of them are vegetarian either. Personal experience.

I'm guessing these certain groups are most likely to reside in China. I've never come across a Brit born Chinese person who's a veggie (or will even consider it) despite the the rise of vegetarianism and veganism in a city like London. The Chinese people around here don't even identify as buddhists.

Not really...I know plenty of Chinese vegetarians. They're all Bhuddists though. Like Bunny said, traditionally meat was considered a delicacy so historically it was rice and vegetables. I believe Daoist are also practicing vegetarians but I don't know anyone in this day and age that's Daoist.

At the same time I don't really know any Chinese Americans who are vegetarian.

suzu

I don't personally know any vegetarians/vegans (Asian or otherwise). lol

That said, Asians tend to consume a lot of veggies anyway.

Also my family only goes strictly vegetarian for specific days.

Zoe

bf's Taiwanese mother was a Buddhist vegetarian until the doctors told her she had to start eating meat.

I know some Vietnamese people with Buddhist monks in their families.

Breakage

Not really...I know plenty of Chinese vegetarians. They're all Bhuddists though. Like Bunny said, traditionally meat was considered a delicacy so historically it was rice and vegetables. I believe Daoist are also practicing vegetarians but I don't know anyone in this day and age that's Daoist.

At the same time I don't really know any Chinese Americans who are vegetarian.

Yeah, the UK's Chinese population is quite small - I don't think it's even hit one million yet so that may be why it's hard to find much variation among British Chinese communities

That said, Asians tend to consume a lot of veggies anyway.

Yeah, I can agree with that.

China has the largest population and the most diverse array of ethnic groups, so maybe?
Yeah you're right that's probably why. The UK has a small Chinese population at the moment.

dunno about British people of Chinese descent in London, but as an American of Chinese descent in Los Angeles I wouldn't become vegetarian/vegan just because it's trendy... sorry but that seems kinda stupid to me lol. Not sure my ethnicity has anything to do with this.
I absolutely agree. A lot people seem to be turning into vegans right now because it's trendy among the middle-class.
I've been a veggie for most of my life so I wouldn't say I'm jumping on any trends. But yeah, it seems even vegan/veggie trends haven't had any affect on East Asian communities.

As for people who identify with being Buddhist... I don't know what it's like over there but over here we have a lot of Asian American Christians. America, however, is more religious tnan y'all IIRC.

Oh, I think most Chinese people here identify with Taoism or just aren't very religious.

Sarye

The white skinned thread is especially making my blood boil. I'm trying to resist the temptation to post. There's a few posters on there that are repeat offenders I noticed (not just on things Asian) that I'm making a note of.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
What's going on on the OT side that's being idiotic about Asians? Should I go in and slap some people???

Saturday I think. I fly in that morning.

As for where I don't know, but one of you local people should pick. I would also be okay with imbibing some alcohols

Man.... That TBL thread is horrifying ;_;

I'm short, chubby, and have tried to lose weight since I had to look at it seriously. The human body is fucking scary y'all. Your body just naturally adapts to things that you have no control over. Having a semi-slow metabolism also doesn't help. I remember during my three months of working out, my body was just exhausted and hungry to try and fill in my hunger.

Working out and maintaining a "healthy" body weight is scary fam.

Where will Southern California Asian GAF meetup be?

I mean, if y'all like cheap/chain sushi that's still edible, we could go to a Sugarfish. The DTLA location is atrocious to park in, but there IS a nice macaron/dessert place nearby.

TBH, if you can drive Striker, I'd rather eat in SGV. As for alcohol... dunno, I'm not at all familiar with that in LA, so someone else should jump on that. There's a few night hotel top bars, probably, though it's a little cold right now.

I think you should pick the kind of food you want (specific cuisine or dish), and the rest of us will find a place that does it well.

I'm fine with SGV; it was on my to-do list anyway lol. I'm not too picky though

I won't have a car tho so I'd have to Uber or something. Unless someone wants to give me a ride at least one of the ways >.>

I think I'm busy on Saturday, but if you're going to be in East LA I recommend Newport Seafood Restaurant. It's near a Mission and Factory Tea Bar if boba is your thing. You need to get there early though because the lines get crazy. The Lobster is delicious.

I think I'm busy on Saturday, but if you're going to be in East LA I recommend Newport Seafood Restaurant. It's near a Mission and Factory Tea Bar if boba is your thing. You need to get there early though because the lines get crazy. The Lobster is delicious.

I've never been but from the yelp page...oh god...

o.jpg

Top Bottom