• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
^ TY for the article.

Also, guess what y'all. I'm done with graduate school :)!

Extremely happy and excited... feels like I actually accomplished something in my life, for once.

Congrats!

I always leave my credit card with the waiter the moment I get to a place. I usually try to go earlier for that reason.

But having a tab WITH the restaurant?

Legit.

Thanks for the new battle strategy.

@vern- your photos are beautiful, and I love your website.

...That's an unbelievable strategy. I approve.

Had some authentic Szechuan food last night at this hole in the wall in southwest Austin. Goddamn it's so good, always inspiring for professional cooks (aka me) to eat stuff like that.

SRG01

I'm around - I'm around. :D Life is hectic - been fighting off a respiratory bug and packing and cleaning the house for the arrival of the missus soon. :D

How the heck have things been in Asian-GAF land? :D

I'm trying to figure out a way to demonstrate aliasing, but I keep running into z-transform issues when my students only know continuous waveforms...

How have things been Cybit? I've been trying to transform into a dragon lately. Little to no success.

On to serious things, I've been trying to get better at cooking. Learning how to measure things and whatnot. Learning what goes good with this or that meat or greens. It's been okay so far.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Who here learned the piano or violin or both growing up? As an Asian community, I'm sure somebody here have! I'm old now but I want to pick up an instrument and I cannot choose between the two. Any of you guys got any experience with them?

Erheller

Who here learned the piano or violin or both growing up? As an Asian community, I'm sure somebody here have! I'm old now but I want to pick up an instrument and I cannot choose between the two. Any of you guys got any experience with them?

Both. I stopped piano in fifth grade because I was lazy (I still can't believe my mom just let me stop like that), and I stopped violin in sixth grade because it was giving me TMJ. I basically switched from violin to cello at that time.

Moonkid

I dabbled in a bit of piano for a few years, taking lessons with the encouragement of my mum. It was alright, nine year old me wasn't very dedicated and gave up though it did have its uses later on when I would pursue music more heavily through choir and the clarinet. I can't say I've played violin, but I do want to emphasise that when making a decision think about what you want to get out of playing music and what you'll have more fun with. The piano has a bit more utility and will help you absorb theory faster, however, it's really up to you. There's a myriad of pros and cons for both, just decide which one outweighs the other :)

cdyhybrid

Got forced into piano for a year or two, hated it because of that. Wouldn't mind learning now, though.

Took four years of ukulele lessons and that was pretty dope though.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
How have things been Cybit? I've been trying to transform into a dragon lately. Little to no success.

On to serious things, I've been trying to get better at cooking. Learning how to measure things and whatnot. Learning what goes good with this or that meat or greens. It's been okay so far.

Not too bad - work is busy but slowing down. Read more Shadowrun books on the dragon thing. Trust me.

Learning to cook a little as well - most of what I know how to cook the missus can't eat. :(

Piano skills are unbelievable for translating over to Rock Band, fwiw.

Nope, I never got into any instruments during my childhood. My musical instruments of choice was my pen and pencil. Failed creative here.

I do like rapping and singing more though.

SRG01

Play piano so you can 'Do Coldplay' whenever your friends come over :)

NetMapel

Cool guys. I was leaning towards the piano anyways. I'm most likely going to borrow my friend's keyboard and then start taking lessons :D By the way, any of you guys here got some good youtube channels to recommend that provide good beginner piano lessons ? I've heard of the suzuki method and I wonder if that's the best way to learn. Right now I'm trying to "air scale piano" and it's darn hard haha

Piano for like 13 years...Promptly quit after HS. I still have nightmares of playing a recital for a piece I didn't practice. Honestly, I probably would've enjoyed it more if I wasn't playing classical stuff.

Moonkid

While I'm not familiar with the Suzuki method, I'd advise just to learn music the traditional way. It's more universal and will give you the most holistic understanding of music. Keyboard is one of the most straight forward instruments to pick up the ins and outs to boot because almost everything can be visualised and demonstrated through the piano keys.
Thanks guys for the comments. Here is the first video, just a preview of our trip. Would love your thoughts as I keep going.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiWXqU39h20
I know it's only a preview, but the handheld like camera work was a little off-putting here. Literally my only suggestion, everything else looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing more n. n

NetMapel

Dudes you guys are amazing ! Which is the method you guys learned piano with ? Miyagi method ? Suzuki method ? Something else ? What is the name of the "traditional" method of learning piano ?

vern

I know it's only a preview, but the handheld like camera work was a little off-putting here. Literally my only suggestion, everything else looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing more n. n

For sure we feel the same way. We bought a selfie stick (kill me) so hopefully that'll be helpful with stability of camera when filming ourselves anyway, my arm won't be as tired at least. Due to our method of transport we are a little restricted on things to carry so I'm not bring a dslr stabilizer or anything like that... So hopefully handheld video won't be too terrible and you can stick with us.

I won't keep updating this here from now on unless the conversation comes up naturally since it's not my website, but day one is in the books. We drove about 60 km and ran into a few issues with the vehicle but that's probably to be expected, and I'm glad we found out a few things here in Beijing and not in the middle of nowhere. Thanks again for the feedback! We are having a blast, hope it will come through in the vids we continue to make. And hope people get a new perspective on China.

SystemBug

For sure we feel the same way. We bought a selfie stick (kill me) so hopefully that'll be helpful with stability of camera when filming ourselves anyway, my arm won't be as tired at least. Due to our method of transport we are a little restricted on things to carry so I'm not bring a dslr stabilizer or anything like that... So hopefully handheld video won't be too terrible and you can stick with us.

I won't keep updating this here from now on unless the conversation comes up naturally since it's not my website, but day one is in the books. We drove about 60 km and ran into a few issues with the vehicle but that's probably to be expected, and I'm glad we found out a few things here in Beijing and not in the middle of nowhere. Thanks again for the feedback! We are having a blast, hope it will come through in the vids we continue to make. And hope people get a new perspective on China.
I love your photos and the sizzle Intro in the video was very well shot. I subscribed and can't wait to see what happens.

clav

Dudes you guys are amazing ! Which is the method you guys learned piano with ? Miyagi method ? Suzuki method ? Something else ? What is the name of the "traditional" method of learning piano ?

There is no standard since every teacher has his/her own way.

As long as kids hit right notes, parents think teacher is sufficient when there is more to music than just notes.

If a teacher pushes a student towards Hanon exercises, that's one way to say legit.

Moonkid

As far as I know there isn't really a name for it, it's just the norm that isn't an alternative or left-field method. Not doing anything fancy and just learning note names, how to read sheet music, and so on. As long as they don't specify those kind of teaching methods, it'll be your classic exercises and so on.

Nah no worries, I'll be sure to follow your adventure ^__^. The reason it stood out for me here was mostly because it was stationary footage. Hopefully at some points you do find a convenient, sturdy place to leave the camera when you're on one spot so you don't have to worry about filming and can rest your arms as well lol. All the best~!

vern

As far as I know there isn't really a name for it, it's just the norm that isn't an alternative or left-field method. Not doing anything fancy and just learning note names, how to read sheet music, and so on. As long as they don't specify those kind of teaching methods, it'll be your classic exercises and so on.Nah no worries, I'll be sure to follow your adventure ^__^. The reason it stood out for me here was mostly because it was stationary footage. Hopefully at some points you do find a convenient, sturdy place to leave the camera when you're on one spot so you don't have to worry about filming and can rest your arms as well lol. All the best~!

I love your photos and the sizzle Intro in the video was very well shot. I subscribed and can't wait to see what happens.

Thanks guys! Interviewed a beatiful old couple climbing the Great Wall of China (hope it wasn't too shakey!) today. Got sunburned to hell and back. Took many photos. And chilled with a beekeeper living in a small tent on the side of the mountain. 2 days in and have a bunch of stories already I don't know how I'll remember everything, let alone get through editing photos and videos and aghhh haha... on to ZhangJiaKou, Hebei Province tomorrow.

Sarye

I'm LTTP but congrats bunny! I'm in the middle of my grad program and it's so much work I want to cry =(

I played piano when I was a kid. There wasn't a name for what I was taught but I learned how to play mostly classical music. I complained to my teacher that I wanted to play a song I knew so she let me learn A Whole New World haha..

It's weird that Asian jokes gets a pass by everyone when they are just as offensive IMO. People know better not to make black jokes but Asian jokes? Oh you're too sensitive.

Sooo.... Up here we have a Burger Battle. It's not a literal battle but it is pretty cool. I don't know how much tickets were since my sister bought them for me, her husband, and my other sister. You literally walk around on a concert-ish and island-like place that we call Harriet Island and eat and drink.

I can't handle too much food so I didn't eat too many burgers but my god..... It's freakin' awesome lol. Their are a shitload of tents for each burger and I sampled around half of them until I gave up to make room for beer :) I took a few photos that I was able to. Will post later.

You pay for the food, tickets, and drinks when you purchase your tickets. Once you get there you don't get to pay for anything and are let loose to choose which burger/s you want to eat first, grab water bottles, or grab a drink. It's literally Burger heaven if you love Burgers. There are no fries or any sides. Your sides of choice are the other burgers and beer lol.

KBfSKX5.jpg

This burger was awesome. They put ghost pepper cheese on it and it was yummy.

JANQA2y.jpg

This was a Bleuberry Cheese Burger. Very sweet and I didn't like it.

ikXV3y1.jpg

Now this...... This is a great burger. Once you get that first bite you realize that this really just melts into your mouth. My second favorite burger.

Guys, I just visited one of the most amazing places in China. It's half cultural museum, half marine life park! It's a crazy combination! I didn't even get to see everything yet. I might go back to finish checking the place out at a later date.

1. The place is set up like a Chinese garden complete with planets, man made rivers, ponds, bridges, pagondas and pavilions.

2. The pavilions are filled with all kinds of historical artifacts. There's art, calligraphy, gems, bronze work, wax displays, jade and more. Different buildings have different items inside. So it's not all housed in one giant building. You walk around the garden and explore.

3. The exterior water ways are filled with Koi, Sturgeon, trout and a few other fishes. You can enjoy a ride through the river on a boat, or buy food to feed the fish. There's fish EVERYWHERE. Not a lot of variety though. Some of them are gigantic! Sturgeons and Koi over a meter in length!

4. There's also a turtle pond exclusively for turtles!

5. There's a place for children to catch small fishes. It even has a FREAKIN' POOL that you can swim in. No fishes there.

6. A lot of small wildlife in this environment. Lot of birds, bugs, and of course frogs are attached to this place.

7. The bathroom was amazingly clean for a public place. It was cleaner and classier than the place I had lunch. No joke. My uncle bragged it's the cleanest bathroom in Guangzhou. I was admiring how clean my stall was, and that was how I noticed the frog on the wall. It was my first time peeing in front of a live audience. I'm going to name him Pee Pee The Frog. I took pictures of the sucker. I bet people who saw the camera flashes in my bathroom stall thought I was taking pics for Tinder.

8. The place also has a rose garden and a small playground for children. Both are pretty simple, but it was still very well done. This park just has so much to offer. Just when I thought I've seen it all, they throw another new thing at me. It's too bad I came when the roses weren't all in full bloom.

zqsyRBd.jpg

ZecoEhx.jpg

skdG80E.jpg

6O8cn0R.jpg

J3l9hDX.jpg

LyDUSNG.jpg

H5d7qOd.jpg

WOhzEjh.jpg

e5j487n.jpg

Moonkid

youtube.com/watch?v=mmvqb9Uzu8k

Great to see him address this issue and bring more attention it, but I think the execution could have been a lot more impactful. His bars were a little shallow and I would have liked to see him refer to specific examples or go through a history of Asian representation in Hollywood. DFD is a talented MC and it feels like a missed opportunity for him not to go all in. The video itself is neat, especially the ending with a pretty provocative image to boot. Overall I'm glad it exists, unfortunate faux-pas deadnaming aside.

youtube.com/watch?v=mmvqb9Uzu8k

Great to see him address this issue and bring more attention it, but I think the execution could have been a lot more impactful. His bars were a little shallow and I would have liked to see him refer to specific examples or go through a history of Asian representation in Hollywood. DFD is a talented MC and it feels like a missed opportunity for him not to go all in. The video itself is neat, especially the ending with a pretty provocative image to boot. Overall I'm glad it exists, unfortunate faux-pas deadnaming aside.

Hm.... Not bad. Could he have gone harder? Sure. But I think he got the message across just fine. Good to see him back though.

NetMapel

So just a quick follow up with my previous question about piano/violin... I had my first piano lesson today with a teacher. I think it went alright... It felt kind of awkward but that might be just because I am awkward like that. The teacher seems nice though but I hope she does challenge me to improve. I understand that the foundation is very important for piano.

cdyhybrid

Aloha from Hawaiiiii :D

Yeah, you gotta nail the foundations. Scales, and dunno if they still have that one set of orange books with nothing but exercises. If you can already read music scales become less important imho, but it's still good to sort of have an idea via muscle memory where keys are depending on what the song is composed in.

I'm proud of you :D

WHAT DID YOU ORDER AND WHERE DID YOU GOOO.

Go to Leonard's and get malasadas.

clav

So just a quick follow up with my previous question about piano/violin... I had my first piano lesson today with a teacher. I think it went alright... It felt kind of awkward but that might be just because I am awkward like that. The teacher seems nice though but I hope she does challenge me to improve. I understand that the foundation is very important for piano.

Teacher's background?

klee123

Hello Asian-GAF!

First time poster and long time lurker on this community thread.

I'm from Australia but was born in HK and was pretty much raised in AU for most of my life.

I can speak quite a bit of Canto thanks to my parents, but can't read or write to save my life. Slowing learning them along with being able to speak putonghua.

Anyways nice to meet ya all.

Oh yeah, I'll take some food pics next time lol.

vern

Hey guys, thanks for comments on my photos before. Slowly heading across China... here area few more pics, including one of food. I gotta start taking more pictures of food for you all but I'm too much of a piggy and eat too fast. Also as I've mentioned before, I suck at food photos I don't know why.

Crossing China by Eric, on Flickr

These are the local specialty of Datong, Shanxi, China. Sliced noodles with yellow bean. They are very tender and have an awesome flavor. The pork, local vinegar and chili also made this shit super delicious. Some of the best noodles I've ever had tbh. 黄豆刀削面 for those that can read Chinese.

I can teach you. :D

Knowing where the keys are and the musical notation is the most important. Fingering is helpful too, but eventually your hands will be dancing across the keys so you can't rely on thumb = C and stuff.

I guess it's kind of like learning to type: memorizing where the keys are so you don't have to look down all the time.

NetMapel

Teacher's background?
- Masters in Music Education specialized in piano pedagogy and practicing
- Presented at the 30th ISME World Music Education Conference
- Invited to Golden Key International Honour Society due to academic excellence
- Diploma in Performing Arts - Music (Piano)
- Specializes in Kelly Kirby Introductory Piano Method
- Member of the local provincial Registered Music Teachers' Association, International Society for Music Education, and Canadian Society for the Study of Education

I guess that's decent educational background ? I've seen on the website of her students passing various RCM examination level. She also did tell me that it takes about a year to reach RCM Level 1 so I'm like, lol what did I get myself into ? Oh well :p I will try another school too and take their trial class to see if there is one I like better :)

I can teach you. :D

Knowing where the keys are and the musical notation is the most important. Fingering is helpful too, but eventually your hands will be dancing across the keys so you can't rely on thumb = C and stuff.

I guess it's kind of like learning to type: memorizing where the keys are so you don't have to look down all the time.
The first class she taught me the finger numbers and A-G. Taught me sitting posture and curled fingers. Practiced some finger motions and going from finger 1-5 and back on the piano. Played a very simple Ode to Joy with just one hand. Then she showed me Hanon and told me I'll be practicing with that in the future. I think there's also another Level 1instructional textbook she has with her that's called Alfred-something-something. SO CRAY ! I practice at home for like minimum of half an hour to an hour every day this week on scaling and curling fingers. My pinky likes to stay up because I have weird ring and pinky fingers :( Now I am practicing this:

DON'T LAUGH GUYS :p

clav

I'll just say I don't see a conservatory name on there, so let's leave it at that.

No need to be ashamed at playing. I remember so many kids telling me my instrument sucks and is for girls. "You should learn guitar because it's so cool!"

Some teachers frown upon Alfred editions. I don't know the exact reason why. Had a few books here, but I think it has to do with the edits and excessive explanations on a lot of things.

Don't fret on exams. They're not really an accurate gauge at how good you are at piano. I remember skipping a bunch of levels, and every evaluator had to ask who was my teacher afterwards. Even so, I don't think they mean anything.

Hand positioning is everything. One important thing is to not tense up. Shoulder relax all the way to the hands. So many teachers get this wrong, and I see this problem in a bunch of random YouTube viewings. Makes me upset people are getting paid to teach poorly. Can cause injuries like tendinitis.

I think it took me a few years to get it right eventually. Something that my teacher did was to let her hold her upper part of her hand and show me the motion at how to play.

vern

I know you guys love your food, here is a review we did of a Donkey Sandwich in Hebei, China. I also just uploaded a pretty funny video of us singing with the locals in Datong on the street. If you guys like it let me know... and if you don't too please tell me. I'd love to make good videos so critique away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UteE45ZtXk

As for my trip, the sanlunche (tricycle) has been sold, the thing barely survived 5 days up and down the hills and the mountains of Hebei. We are currently in Shanxi after trading up for bus/train tickets. We will still be heading west towards Xinjiang and taking videos and photos along the way. Our plan is to walk some of it, hitchhike some of it, and use proper means for the rest.

Uh..... I was watching BvS and I was pleasantly surprised to see Hmong people lol. My brother and I were like, "why are there Hmong people? Where did they get Hmong people?" We were just surprised to see Hmong people in such a big budget film (besides Gran Torino) lol. How did they even hear about us lol.

It's a decent film.

Top Bottom