• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

StMeph

So I don't post much on Gaf anymore but I had to share this article that I found on my FB. Funny enough it was posted by another gaffer (Hi Ruben!). I think any of my fellow Bsians who aren't doctors or lawyers can relate. It's a beautiful article and definitely worth the read.

A cousin of mine joined the police force in Taiwan, but convincing his family to let him join the police academy was kind of a big deal. Not because of the job itself, but I think he was at least a year or two into a normal 4-year college, so abandoning that to switch gears kind of rubbed his family the wrong way. I don't think there's as much concern there as there is in the US, though, given gun ownership rates and perceived/expected levels of comparative violence.

- Masters in Music Education specialized in piano pedagogy and practicing
- Presented at the 30th ISME World Music Education Conference
- Invited to Golden Key International Honour Society due to academic excellence
- Diploma in Performing Arts - Music (Piano)
- Specializes in Kelly Kirby Introductory Piano Method
- Member of the local provincial Registered Music Teachers' Association, International Society for Music Education, and Canadian Society for the Study of Education

I guess that's decent educational background ? I've seen on the website of her students passing various RCM examination level. She also did tell me that it takes about a year to reach RCM Level 1 so I'm like, lol what did I get myself into ? Oh well :p I will try another school too and take their trial class to see if there is one I like better :)

The first class she taught me the finger numbers and A-G. Taught me sitting posture and curled fingers. Practiced some finger motions and going from finger 1-5 and back on the piano. Played a very simple Ode to Joy with just one hand. Then she showed me Hanon and told me I'll be practicing with that in the future. I think there's also another Level 1instructional textbook she has with her that's called Alfred-something-something. SO CRAY ! I practice at home for like minimum of half an hour to an hour every day this week on scaling and curling fingers. My pinky likes to stay up because I have weird ring and pinky fingers :( Now I am practicing this:

DON'T LAUGH GUYS :p

Aside from the Masters, I'm not terribly impressed with her background. Isn't Golden Key just a money sink for rich university students? The Diploma is probably the ARCT Performer's one: I have that one too and it's basically a "first step" for any aspiring pianists.

RCM grades aren't hard to pass. You can basically skip them and only take the more "serious" Grades 8-10; I feel like the early grades are just learning to perform (sign up for festivals/recitals instead).

And yes definitely learn proper posture and positioning. Curve those fingers!

Moonkid

So I don't post much on Gaf anymore but I had to share this article that I found on my FB. Funny enough it was posted by another gaffer (Hi Ruben!). I think any of my fellow Bsians who aren't doctors or lawyers can relate. It's a beautiful article and definitely worth the read
Lovely story, glad they could reconcile eventually. It's a little concerning though that in such a city as his, he's the only police officer that can properly communicate and mediate with such a large portion of the population. I can imagine many other places, and not just the U.S., are under similar circumstances for a myriad of reasons, including the one highlighted here. Diversity for these type of institutions is probably one of the most immediate examples of where diversity is essential in an organisation.

Piichan

Banned
Hey, I'm not Asian, but I will check out this thread from time to time if you guys don't mind. (For some reason never clicked that much on the "community" tab at the top before lol).

I'm a Belgian guy living in Tokyo. Lived here for about 2 years, before I lived in Fukuoka for about 3. I have to travel around SE Asia for work quite a bit too, so might ask for tips and stuff sometimes.

Anyway, yoroshiku!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Hey, I'm not Asian, but I will check out this thread from time to time if you guys don't mind. (For some reason never clicked that much on the "community" tab at the top before lol).

I'm a Belgian guy living in Tokyo. Lived here for about 2 years, before I lived in Fukuoka for about 3. I have to travel around SE Asia for work quite a bit too, so might ask for tips and stuff sometimes.

Anyway, yoroshiku!

Welcome! :)

Anyway, yoroshiku!

INFIDEL!!!

Yeah, we have non-Asians here living in Asian countries. Everyone's welcome here.

zeemumu

I don't know.

Also where've you been.

Are you free anytime during this week? I want to go to HPW (seriously for reals this time), but I think it's your finals week right?

I am free any day this week that isn't Thursday :p.

As for where I've been...I honestly don't know what to tell you. Let's see...there was that sushi place where my dad ordered lamp chops and it was fuckin' hilarious because he still ate them with the chopsticks while everyone else ate their sushi/sashimi, I stayed up until 2 in the morning trying to (unsuccessfully) get my programming project working, I saw both TMNT 2 and X-Men Apocalypse (Apocalypse wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be and TMNT 2...I don't know what that was. I feel like I was missing something because I'm not a teenage mutant ninja turtle expert, but no one in the theater was clapping when it ended so I guess they were as confused as I was. I liked it slightly more than the first, but only because there was more turtle action), I went to California Adventure to catch the new Frozen show that replaced Aladdin and then promptly fled when I saw the line, and I think that's about it.

And I'm considering going to the Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses Orchestra concert in a week or so. If not then, then maybe next month in San Diego.

robox

I'm out travelling around s.korea right now.
I don't have the photog skills like vern does
Up next is either Thailand or Vietnam. Which I'll have to decide in a few days.

Open to input on where to go, what to see, do n eat, or anything else

I'll have to comment, I feel weird going to places to eat by myself in Korea. Once I read that meals like kbbq are social activities, I'd become more self conscious. But I gots to eat so screw it; grab a beer don't care

StMeph

For the purposes of Asian GAF I don't think you need any photography skills. Just point your soul-sucking device at the inanimate (maybe not?) object and steal its essence. Then provide this e-sustenance to us here so that we may feed vicariously through the internet.

For the purposes of Asian GAF I don't think you need any photography skills. Just point your soul-sucking device at the inanimate (maybe not?) object and steal its essence. Then provide this e-sustenance to us here so that we may feed vicariously through the internet.

Don't forget to clap if you are American. We love to clap after we suck the souls out of things.

robox

CQBH1uD.jpg

Lunch for 1

Among my circle of friends, the Asians are recognized as the most voracious eaters, including 2 5 foot tall girls.

...Need a better method for posting pics from mobile

Thought I might as well share some pictures that my wife took over Memorial Day Weekend when we took my family around LA. I actually gained 5 lbs that weekend.

Took my little sister to Universal Studios Hollywood to see Harry Potter World. We bought wands and cast spells. I drank six of these:

On a whim we decided to go to Newport Seafood in San Gabriel to get this:

We ate brunch at Larchmont Bungalow, then the rest of the day consisted of rushing to the emergency room and me spending $600 on jackets (both unrelated to the delicious brunch).

Dinner at Bestia in Downtown LA for my sister's birthday. I made reservations months in advance, as is necessary. This Roasted Marrow Bone over spinach gnocchetti was but one of the many dishes we enjoyed.

We waited outside for Marugame Monzo so we could sit at the bar and watch them make their delicious hand-made udon noodles. I got the uni cream udon in the back.

Spent a day on the West Side walking through Venice before having dinner at Musha Restaurant. The Aburi Saba shown below was deliciously salty although it was the grilled beef tongue (not shown) that was my favorite.

And finally we got dessert at my favorite Ice Cream place in the valley, Wanderlust. The selection below is Thai Tea and Japanese Neopolitan over an Ube cone.

Protip: instead of Newport Seafood in San Gabriel, go to Boston Lobster. It's owned by former Newport employees, so it has basically the same menu, but it's less crowded and cheaper.

Protip: instead of Newport Seafood in San Gabriel, go to Boston Lobster. It's owned by former Newport employees, so it has basically the same menu, but it's less crowded and cheaper.

Yeah, we want to try it out someday, but it's hard. Newport is right next to one of our favorite boba places, Factory Tea Bar, so it's easy to hit up both. If we went to Boston it would probably just be the two of us. Ordering lobster might be too much for just the two of us (according to my wife, although I'm up for the challenge!), but whenever we have people we want to take to get lobster we go back to Newport because we've been there and know the quality.

What I'm saying is that I'm just going to have to convince my wife that I can eat 3 lbs of lobster by myself so we can finally check out Boston Lobster.

StMeph

Ordering lobster might be too much for just the two of us (according to my wife, although I'm up for the challenge!), but whenever we have people we want to take to get lobster we go back to Newport because we've been there and know the quality.

What I'm saying is that I'm just going to have to convince my wife that I can eat 3 lbs of lobster by myself so we can finally check out Boston Lobster.

A 3 lb. lobster for two isn't outrageous, assuming a dinner serving of lobster is about 1-1.5 pounds, before any other sides, garnishes, or appetizers. You can totally do a lobster with two people and just add only one or two more dishes.

And then roll yourselves back to the car.

Yeah, we want to try it out someday, but it's hard. Newport is right next to one of our favorite boba places, Factory Tea Bar, so it's easy to hit up both. If we went to Boston it would probably just be the two of us. Ordering lobster might be too much for just the two of us (according to my wife, although I'm up for the challenge!), but whenever we have people we want to take to get lobster we go back to Newport because we've been there and know the quality.

Just say Newport was too crowded; let's try this other place. One of the differences between the two is that Boston Lobster will also put noodles under their lobster if you want.

Also, there's a Ten Ren nearby there, which I think is better than Factory Tea Bar.

EDIT: The lobster challenge is harder when you factor in the Honey Walnut Shrimp that you also have to order.

A 3 lb. lobster for two isn't outrageous, assuming a dinner serving of lobster is about 1-1.5 pounds, before any other sides, garnishes, or appetizers. You can totally do a lobster with two people and just add only one or two more dishes.

And then roll yourselves back to the car.

You're preaching to the choir! Still have a few pounds to go until I get back to my pre-wedding weight anyway.

I've known quite a few Filipinos that don't identify as Asians over the years. I'm of the belief that they are how they self identify as and just leave it at that.

MikeMyers

I've known quite a few Filipinos that don't identify as Asians over the years. I'm of the belief that they are how they self identify as and just leave it at that.
I blame Hollywood for this. They seem rather keen with the idea of only counting East-Asians as Asian. Kind of strange since legally the US does define Filipinos (as well as Indians, Pakistanis, etc.) as part of the Asian-American umbrella.

I blame Hollywood for this. They seem rather keen with the idea of only counting East-Asians as Asian. Kind of strange since legally the US does define Filipinos (as well as Indians, Pakistanis, etc.) as part of the Asian-American umbrella.

Filipino's I knew back in the day ID'd themselves as Pacific Islanders. I recall it being separate at one point in time from Asians on official forms (of course I was like 10 at the time so don't completely quote me on that). There's legitimate support for both so really how their culture defines themselves is all good with me

edit- Asian or not...everyone is welcome here.

There's a large social divide between Chinese-Filipinos and ethnic Filipinos, though, no? I know the former seem to much prefer to consider themselves Chinese.

Come to think of it, I imagine this is the case between Chinese-anything and their respective ethnic groups.

MikeMyers

Filipino's I knew back in the day ID'd themselves as Pacific Islanders. I recall it being separate at one point in time from Asians on official forms (of course I was like 10 at the time so don't completely quote me on that). There's legitimate support for both so really how their culture defines themselves is all good with me
Yeah, I'm aware. It' s just annoying that some people only seem to associate Asia with East Asian countries. The other day I had to inform my co-worker that India wasn't in Africa. >.<

edit- Asian or not...everyone is welcome here.
As it should be!

SRG01

There's a large social divide between Chinese-Filipinos and ethnic Filipinos, though, no? I know the former seem to much prefer to consider themselves Chinese.

Come to think of it, I imagine this is the case between Chinese-anything and their respective ethnic groups.

My ex's family made a big deal about being ethnically Chinese, despite being a multi-generational family from Brunei.

As for myself, I'm at least 1/4 Tanka but a lot of HK people don't distinguish between ethnic minorities anymore -- that is if they were considered as true ethnic minorities in the first place.

Is that a bay area thing? Here in Seattle I have yet to met a Filipino that doesn't identity as Asian. Matter of fact I have two cousins that married a Filipino person so pretty close to their culture.

I like mine to fall off the bone..

Is that a bay area thing? Here in Seattle I have yet to met a Filipino that doesn't identity as Asian. Matter of fact I have two cousins that married a Filipino person so pretty close to their culture.

I dunno if it's a Bay Area thing but I just know that I've met enough Filipinos who don't identify as Asian to not assume otherwise. I wouldn't say it's majority but it's significant

robox

what about fish bones? am i less asian if i don't like picking those stupid tiny bones out? no matter how tasty, i'd pass on to something else if i have to do that

Top Bottom