• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Speaking of Prime Rib...House of Prime Rib in SF.../drools

Only place I know that offers a courtesy cut if your original slice wasn't enough...

Moonkid

What about prime rib, hmmmmmm?
you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

Not that I've had it often lol.

what about fish bones? am i less asian if i don't like picking those stupid tiny bones out? no matter how tasty, i'd pass on to something else if i have to do that

Nah, you aren't less Asian.

Fish bones are a huge reason why I hate eating fish from time to time lol. I won't eat fish that have alot of bones.

kagete

Speaking as a Filipino, a lot of Filipinos (living in the Philippines or in the US or elsewhere) don't even identify as Filipino. I feel there is very little pride because we all came from a poor third world country. When I was growing up in Manila, a lot of friends would be very quick to denounce it at every opportunity. They would say things like "I'm actually Spanish, we have a coat of arms". "Sorry but i'm actually pure Chinese, and i'm not allowed to date Filipinos." "I have a US passport, don't lump me in with everyone else."

Here in the US a lot of Filipinos would rather call themselves "Asians" for convenience rather than explicitly identifying as Filipino. As for the Pacific-islander tag, it was more common around my mother's generation during the 60's and 70's because Filipinos migrating to the US back then didn't really have much in common with other Asians coming to the US. My parents had American GIs for school teachers during gradeschool and they sang both national anthems for a very brief while. They were extremely Westernized compared to others and felt more kinship with people from Hawaii and Micronesia.

As for friends my age here, Filipinos are so afraid of being persecuted or marginalized that they are either in an extreme rush to get naturalized or they just flat out deny they are Filipino or Asian. I have a Filipino coworker that has been reporting himself as Caucasian - German descent in every possible census or government form for the past 10 years.

Speaking as a Filipino, a lot of Filipinos (living in the Philippines or in the US or elsewhere) don't even identify as Filipino. I feel there is very little pride because we all came from a poor third world country. When I was growing up in Manila, a lot of friends would be very quick to denounce it at every opportunity. They would say things like "I'm actually Spanish, we have a coat of arms". "Sorry but i'm actually pure Chinese, and i'm not allowed to date Filipinos." "I have a US passport, don't lump me in with everyone else."

Here in the US a lot of Filipinos would rather call themselves "Asians" for convenience rather than explicitly identifying as Filipino. As for the Pacific-islander tag, it was more common around my mother's generation during the 60's and 70's because Filipinos migrating to the US back then didn't really have much in common with other Asians coming to the US. My parents had American GIs for school teachers during gradeschool and they sang both national anthems for a very brief while. They were extremely Westernized compared to others and felt more kinship with people from Hawaii and Micronesia.

As for friends my age here, Filipinos are so afraid of being persecuted or marginalized that they are either in an extreme rush to get naturalized or they just flat out deny they are Filipino or Asian. I have a Filipino coworker that has been reporting himself as Caucasian - German descent in every possible census or government form for the past 10 years.

This is just so bizarre. I've heard something similar about Hmong people but nothing like you mentioned. Bizarre yet fascinating for me.

Zoe

I only identify as Filipino when I'm pressed on my heritage. I have no knowledge or practice of Filipino culture.

kagete

I have totally the opposite experience tbh. Everyone that is Flip is proud of their heritage AND refer to themselves as Asian. Maybe it's a socal thing?

I only speak from my experiences encountering other Filipinos in Manila, SFO, Daly City, LA, New Jersey, New York, Atlanta, Minnesota, and Chicago. I've only lived in Manila, NJ, Atlanta, and Minnesota.

Jo Koy identifies himself as Asian. I think Geo from JK Films identifies as Asian too.

Probably like other things, it might be where you live and the culture of that area. When I was in college, we were discussing random things and one of my classmates is Filipino and she identifies herself as Asian.

I do hope that the younger generation won't be afraid of being who they are. Funny story:

My nephew is about to enter 3rd grade and his cousin came over (he's almost a teenager) and they were talking about random stuff. The cousin brings up ethnicity and my nephew says he doesn't identify himself as anything. My nephew was getting annoyed and was trying to change the subject to the youtube vid they were watching but his cousin insisted that he answers him.

Cousin says, "are you Hmong?" No. "Are you black?" No. "Are you white?" No, stop it. I'm not anything! "Then what are you?" I'm not anything! Stop it.

I know they are still kids but..... They are still learning and are impressionable. It was quite an interesting conversation I witnessed.

"Sorry but i'm actually pure Chinese, and i'm not allowed to date Filipinos."
My in-laws are like this. My brother-in-law married an ethnic Filipino, and they hate the hell out of his wife, thinking she's a gold digger or she got pregnant to trap him or whatever. I try very hard to be completely removed from the conversation whenever that comes up.

StMeph

My in-laws are like this. My brother-in-law married an ethnic Filipino, and they hate the hell out of his wife, thinking she's a gold digger or she got pregnant to trap him or whatever. I try very hard to be completely removed from the conversation whenever that comes up.

It's still common to find foreign workers (外傭) in Taiwan -- and, I assume, other parts of east Asia -- as housekeepers/maids or similar lines of work, but Filipinos (菲傭) and Indonesians seem to be the largest/most common subsets.

"Sorry but i'm actually pure Chinese, and i'm not allowed to date Filipinos."

I roll my eyes when people say they're pure Chinese. Han Chinese is a diverse and very heterogeneous group of people. The diversity of China should be celebrated just as much as its ethnic unity.

Easy solution. Filipinos identify as Asian when it's relevant but more often there are enough Filipinos in the United States to identify as Filipino by itself. I mean, it's like asking a guy from El Salvador if he identifies as Hispanic or salvadoreño.

cdyhybrid

Easy solution. Filipinos identify as Asian when it's relevant but more often there are enough Filipinos in the United States to identify as Filipino by itself. I mean, it's like asking a guy from El Salvador if he identifies as Hispanic or salvadoreño.

As someone of mixed ethnicity, I identify as whatever is convenient at the time. Works for me ;)

Zoe

I didn't meet another Filipino until 7th grade :\

My wife's sister married a Filipino guy and it was a bit of a culture clash. It seems his family was fine with it but her family took more issue with it. Part of it was because she was marrying outside of our ethnic group. The other part(and probably the bigger of the two) was that she disagreed with with her dad about her husband having to pay a dowry. Basically dudes are suppose to pay the parents to marry their daughter as a sign of respect, even if they're not Hmong. My father in law is a good guy, it's just that he was raised with these beliefs and it's very much ingrained in him. And the same goes for a lot of the older folks who were born and raised in Thailand/Laos. She had many disputes with him about the subject but in the end they just paid but their was no traditional Hmong wedding although they did do a catholic wedding on his side.

This doesn't really have much to do with how Filipinos identify themselves, I just wanted to tell that story. But I did ask him how he identified himself and he says "Asian"(they're from Stockton, CA BTW).

My wife's sister married a Filipino guy and it was a bit of a culture clash. It seems his family was fine with it but her family took more issue with it. Part of it was because she was marrying outside of our ethnic group. The other part(and probably the bigger of the two) was that she disagreed with with her dad about her husband having to pay a dowry. Basically dudes are suppose to pay the parents to marry their daughter as a sign of respect, even if they're not Hmong. My father in law is a good guy, it's just that he was raised with these beliefs and it's very much ingrained in him. And the same goes for a lot of the older folks who were born and raised in Thailand/Laos. She had many disputes with him about the subject but in the end they just paid but their was no traditional Hmong wedding although they did do a catholic wedding on his side.

This doesn't really have much to do with how Filipinos identify themselves, I just wanted to tell that story. But I did ask him how he identified himself and he says "Asian"(they're from Stockton, CA BTW).

I really hate our way of marriage. It's so stupid and complicated. We need to move past it or implement modern ideals into our cultural weddings. Don't get me started with divorces (my oldest sister is going through a divorce right now).....

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Both my fiance and I did it :).

We did 23andme. We also ran our results through Promethus (sp?)

It was pretty helpful. Turns out we're NOT at all related (whew), and I'm also 99% Chinese and 1% East Asian.

There was a lot of interesting stuff, and most of it I knew. I do have a risk of prostate cancer???? though I don't think that affects me very much haha.

You have a risk of...??????????

I'M SO CONFUSED.

Eh, most people on the West Coast refer to me as a coconut (brown on the outside, white on the inside), because I grew up in rural IL and am pretty midwestern, lol.

cdyhybrid

Both my fiance and I did it :).

We did 23andme. We also ran our results through Promethus (sp?)

It was pretty helpful. Turns out we're NOT at all related (whew), and I'm also 99% Chinese and 1% East Asian.

There was a lot of interesting stuff, and most of it I knew. I do have a risk of prostate cancer???? though I don't think that affects me very much haha.

You got engaged? Congrats!

Open bar, right?

Pictures of delicious food and great drinks. That's all we need bunny. We need more souls to suck! Yes. YES. YESSSSS!

*I may or may not be tipsy right now*

This post brought to you by Jameson Whiskey™

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It's in my genes, but since I have no prostate I'm okay :). My future sons, hopefully. don't inherit any of that.

Thanks :). He sat down with my parents a few weeks ago, and (supposedly) ordered the ring this week. I'll be sure to post pictures haha.

If the first ring he gives you isn't a Ring Pop full of sugar, I will be disappointed. :p

MikeMyers

A Tale of Two Sisters by Kim Jee Woon, it's not so much a pure horror film as it has equal elements of a psychological thriller but it delivers the goods nonetheless.

I'll look into it, thanks.

On a flip note, I was browsing through channels and found an Indian horror film that had a Chinese prostitute doing a musical and then transforming into a monster and killing someone. So random I couldn't stop loling.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
After reading this post he said it was an excellent idea and that he would dump a whole box of Ringpops over my head.

Why Cybit, why.

Because I am the best. Also, I suspect you will probably convince the missus to do something zany as well. :D

Aside: Bunny - I'm looking at the London thread.

Don't get banned. :p

Just remember Bunny that the marriage is not official unless you have an open bar.

I'd prefer Bunny not be broke after her wedding.

Top Bottom