• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

But she's Asian. The open bar would probably be watered down Bud Light.

The only Asian person I know that drinks that is my redneck uncle who lives in Idaho. That's what he does. Drink cheap beer, hunts and go fishing. Dude is living the life out there. The white people love him out there too because he always be bringing them egg rolls and other Asian dishes.

The only Asian person I know that drinks that is my redneck uncle who lives in Idaho. That's what he does. Drink cheap beer, hunts and go fishing. Dude is living the life out there. The white people love him out there too because he always be bringing them egg rolls and other Asian dishes.

Sounds like some Hmong people I know, hah.

But she's Asian. The open bar would probably be watered down Bud Light.

More like..
Taiwan-Beer.jpg
and

StMeph

I never understood the Asian propensity to pour beer into very small glasses.

Also red/black tea as a mixer with whiskey in China.

Saw Eddie Huang, got a signed copy of his book, asked a question at his Q&A, and he liked my tweet at him.

Feelsgoodman.

Nice..which book? I've been watching season 3 of Huang's world and I highly recommend it. Taiwan episode kinda hit a little close to home for me in terms of examining cultural identity.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
You're hanging out with the wrong Asians, breh.

Seattle Asians like their hard liquor, let me tell you. :-D. Btw the Seattle Asians need to remind me as we get closer to fball season - you can come tailgate at the UW games with us.

Pshhh. If I had it my way, sure.

But my fiance is a control freak and also a total elitist snob, so he's basically going to micromanage everyone.

(I'm sneaking in a few bottles of apple pie vodka, something he fervently denies even qualifying as alcohol, and making apple pie shots! Apple pie vodka, apple cider, whipped cream, and pumpkin spice.)

So if I get you guys some like 1960s whiskey (got a 33 year old aged whiskey bottled in 1959 from a friend at a party - holy crap) - we will all be loved for life? :-D

Zoe

Nice..which book? I've been watching season 3 of Huang's world and I highly recommend it. Taiwan episode kinda hit a little close to home for me in terms of examining cultural identity.

We watched the show for the first time ever the other day because the Taiwan episode was on, and the argument about independence pissed bf off :lol

BlueSteel

It's his new book, Double Cup Love. He was going to talk about the book but apparently forgot to read about the talking points for the talk, so he just took questions from the crowd.

I have to say, he's as thoughtful and as well spoken as you would expect. Definitely a great experience.

StMeph

Wait, what? Wouldn't that taste... awful?

It was an interesting experience. Definitely unusual and outside of my personal preference, but it wasn't exactly great stuff being watered down, either.

So if I get you guys some like 1960s whiskey (got a 33 year old aged whiskey bottled in 1959 from a friend at a party - holy crap) - we will all be loved for life? :-D

I expect you wouldn't have a hard time befriending anyone with a 33-year-old bottle.

Bunni is best ducksies mama hands down

❤

Woooooo

Uh. I drink... Scotch whiskey mostly. Neat. GAFia people probably can attest to my bad habits.

* hangs head *

(lttp but congrats bunny!)

Constance Wu Doesn’t Want to Be Your “It” Girl — Vulture cover story

Inspiring and interesting; really courageous of Constance to grapple with these issues publically as she's become more famous. Not just the race rebellion but also the 'forever alone' too... hmm...

After watching Huang's World, Constance really nails Eddie's mom's mannerisms down.

Lately though, it does feel like there is at least more discussion of yellowface and whitewashing, particularly with regard to Doctor Strange and Ghost in the Shell. That doesn’t mean practices have changed, in terms of the industry.
Nope. It’s made it worse.

The discussion has made it worse?
I don’t think the discussion has made it worse, but Asian erasure is largely based in systemic bias and microaggression, which inherently has good intentions. And when you cause a ruckus about someone’s choice who had a good intention, the human reaction is to become defensive. I’ve gone into a lot of executives’ offices since this stuff has come out, and when I talked about it or when they bring it up, they start white mansplaining why I’m wrong and why I am dumb, and why they’re good people. Max Landis had that thing where he said it’s just because there are no bankable movie stars — it’s about green, and that’s the only reason. I know Max Landis, and I understand why he would think it’s that way, and what he says has some evidence to back it up. It doesn’t mean it’s right or good. The key for me, because I’m learning from all of this too, is to take blame out of the picture. These studio executives, they’re like, “I’m just a good guy who’s trying to feed my family,” and it’s been more effective to be like, Of course! Where studio executives I’ve met fall short is they don’t understand our hurt. I go into Asian-American executives’ offices, and they’re like, “Uh, you know we try, but it’s so hard,” and it’s like, Why has that ever been an excuse for doing something great? It’s like, Boo fucking hoo, a lot of shit is hard. Care more, make it matter.

What do you think accounts for the disparity?
You may audition a person and be like, “Oh, this Asian guy is not a good actor.” Well, you know what? That Asian guy gets an audition maybe once every three months, and then a white guy gets an audition maybe five times a week. Who’s going to have more practice auditioning in a charged situation, and therefore is going to be better at auditioning, not acting? The guy who’s had more practice. That’s another way the system keeps us down. We have less opportunities to even practice our craft. That doesn’t mean talent doesn’t exist. It certainly does.

Have you experienced discrimination during casting or auditions?
The thing I most experienced was that the white person had to be the lead, but they needed to say they were being diverse, so the best friend or the assistant was a person of color. It [would be] written nonspecifically, and then they would build the character around whoever they decided would get the part. To audition for the lead role in a movie? I’ve never experienced that. I would experience that maybe two times in my entire life, where there are white actresses I know who, even though they’re not famous, audition for those things all the time.

wow wtf...

they are okay, but i'm sort of got hooked to the scottish ones, the peaty, smokey ones are my favourites :>

LAGAVULIN is my love \o/

I got a Suntory Hibiki 17 and 21 and a Nikka Taketsuru 17 and 21 on my trip to Japan.

I could've flipped 'em for probably a thousand easy here.

But of course I cracked them all open. I'm actually appreciating them as much (or dare I say, even more) then my Scottish ones.

SystemBug

okay this might seem super ignorant (it is) but I have to ask.

So a lot of immigrated Asians often have their birth name, and then another more anglo/white name. Generally speaking, who chooses the name? And does the birth name have any significance on the anglo name? Often names mean something so I'm wondering if the anglo name carries the same definition.

suzu

So a lot of immigrated Asians often have their birth name, and then another more anglo/white name. Generally speaking, who chooses the name? And does the birth name have any significance on the anglo name? Often names mean something so I'm wondering if the anglo name carries the same definition.

My mom chose her name because she liked the way it sounded. I think most people just choose names that they like?

Two of my cousins asked for a list of suggestions from us before they came over a few years ago. They chose names mostly based on how it sounded and if it was simple enough to spell.

SystemBug

My mom chose her name because she liked the way it sounded. I think most people just choose names that they like?

Two of my cousins asked for a list of suggestions from us before they came over a few years ago. They chose names mostly based on how it sounded and if it was simple enough to spell.

ah, i see, i see.

SRG01

I named myself after a cartoon cat.

No, not Garfield

So it's kinda all arbitrary. I know a lot of Chinese kids that got to name themselves in English class growing up (that's something common in Taiwan). Most of the time, you want an anglo name that sounds similar to your Chinese name. Otherwise it's up in the air....My mom and dad named me after a character of a TV show they liked when they first arrived in the States. My uncle's English name is Kent because that was the cigarette brand he always used to smoke (my aunt's idea).

Someone told me a story about how two Chinese sisters were choosing English names and they both picked very similar ones because they wanted the same one. Unfortunately I can't remember what the actual name was, which defeats the whole point of the story.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
My fiance said his English name came from English classes I'm Taiwan, IIRC.

Btw, I read this and had to share it with y'all.

http://reappropriate.co/2016/06/mis...cs-chinatown-over-dog-meat-festival-in-china/

Better titled as "lol fucking idiots."

Author much nicer than me.

I want to read the bunny version of this article.

Aside: Don't get banned in the Ellen Pao thread.

(I have thoughts on Ellen Pao, but that's because the missus is really good childhood friends with the guy who installed her as CEO, so it's a little insider-y and skewed).

I have a question for mainland Chinese here.. I was watching a video on YouTube talking about the Fu Er Dai (ultra rich Chinese kids) in Vancouver. There was an assertion made in the video that mainland Chinese don't connect with and often find classic Chinese history and culture to be not relatable due to the cultural revolution and its affect on the two previous generations. I feel like that's kind of a broad stroke to paint but I'm curious what your thoughts on this are as this isn't the first time I've heard this assertion made towards mainlanders

SRG01

Cmon, more obscure guesses :p It was originally a manga then got turned into a children's anime.

That's probably too much of a hint.

Top Bottom