• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

vern

I have a question for mainland Chinese here.. I was watching a video on YouTube talking about the Fu Er Dai (ultra rich Chinese kids) in Vancouver. There was an assertion made in the video that mainland Chinese don't connect with and often find classic Chinese history and culture to be not relatable due to the cultural revolution and its affect on the two previous generations. I feel like that's kind of a broad stroke to paint but I'm curious what your thoughts on this are as this isn't the first time I've heard this assertion made towards mainlanders

Not Chinese but I live in China. I've heard plenty of times the youth wish they had more of a connection to their history and culture, they usually point to Taiwan as an example of real Chinese culture and lament the fact that so many historical sites and ideas in mainland China were destroyed. They don't really have anything solid to grasp onto I think it creates a disconnect. On the other hand I've also heard many people that don't give a shit one way or the other.

I have a question for mainland Chinese here.. I was watching a video on YouTube talking about the Fu Er Dai (ultra rich Chinese kids) in Vancouver. There was an assertion made in the video that mainland Chinese don't connect with and often find classic Chinese history and culture to be not relatable due to the cultural revolution and its affect on the two previous generations. I feel like that's kind of a broad stroke to paint but I'm curious what your thoughts on this are as this isn't the first time I've heard this assertion made towards mainlanders

I don't get it. How does being rich make you more disconnected with Chinese culture? I know lots of treasures and artifacts have been destroyed, but I never felt like I can't connect with Chinese culture. Well, I can't connect with current culture, but ancient culture? Hell no. Reading about all of our achievements and struggles for 5,000 years makes me proud to be who I am. Sure, I'm a weird guy with weird tastes, but I love ancient history and we still have plenty of artifacts in tact today. hell, right here in Guangzhou, we have several new artifacts discovered recently.

Beijing Road has uncovered old streets under the modern street. I think it goes as far back as the Song dynasty. The roads are uncovered and encased in glass right in the middle of a busy shopping area. It has roads from several dynasties right there for you to see.

Just a few blocks down is a Prince of NanYue grave site. They uncovered it excavating a children's park where I used to play. This since is from around 203 BC - 137 BC.

vern

I don't get it. How does being rich make you more disconnected with Chinese culture? I know lots of treasures and artifacts have been destroyed, but I never felt like I can't connect with Chinese culture. Well, I can't connect with current culture, but ancient culture? Hell no. Reading about all of our achievements and struggles for 5,000 years makes me proud to be who I am. Sure, I'm a weird guy with weird tastes, but I love ancient history and we still have plenty of artifacts in tact today. hell, right here in Guangzhou, we have several new artifacts discovered recently.

Beijing Road has uncovered old streets under the modern street. I think it goes as far back as the Song dynasty. The roads are uncovered and encased in glass right in the middle of a busy shopping area. It has roads from several dynasties right there for you to see.

Just a few blocks down is a Prince of NanYue grave site. They uncovered it excavating a children's park where I used to play. This since is from around 203 BC - 137 BC.

I don't think he meant that fu er dai are removed from the culture, just that it was mentioned in that documentary abou them. At least that was my understanding of it.

SRG01

My coworkers are staring at me because I'm laughing too hard :)

Keep in mind that I'm 30+ so I'm talking about a fairly old cartoon here.

Maybe they're referring to the culture of working hard, scrimping, and trying to eke out a living? If we're talking ancient Chinese culture, unless you're nobility it's hard to get by, whereas these "ultra rich" Chinese kids are driving expensive cars, wearing designer clothes, and taking exotic Instagram photos. Is there a disconnect there? Sure, but that applies to every culture where there's a vast gulf between the rich and the poor.

Unless they're differentiating between Chinese and Western culture, then yes there's a disconnect there, but the rising standard of living in China is bridging the gap. For instance, meat was considered a luxury in China but consumption has greatly increased.

Or are we talking about where Chinese immigrants used to go into science, medicine, finance, but these ultra rich ones are going into fashion design and entrepreneurship?

Parents came up with my English name. They said it was random. They also changed my Chinese name when I was 10. It used to mean "perfect" or something. It still sounds the same but they swapped out the last character and I have no idea what the new one means. It probably means "just okay."

My wife was told that she had to pick an English name when she was in an ESL class in San Francisco. I think that's pretty messed up, but she's okay with it. Her sister actually picked the name she originally wanted, so she "settled" on what I believe is a traditional latina name, which honestly, suits her more.

SRG01

All of this reminds me of a conversation I had with a Chinese coworker: Chinese culture, insofar what we consider as cultural practices and memories relative to other societies, doesn't really exist anymore. There's definitely some sort of historical record or acknowledgement, but decades (centuries?) of colonialism, war, and revolution left most people with a memory of another near-forgotten memory.

I don't want to start anything in the main thread about it, but Donnie Yen's character in the new Star Wars is going to be a blind warrior monk. Of course. Oh, he's Asian? Celibate martial artist. I guess it's a tad better than whitewashing? Maybe?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't want to start anything in the main thread about it, but Donnie Yen's character in the new Star Wars is going to be a blind warrior monk. Of course. Oh, he's Asian? Celibate martial artist. I guess it's a tad better than whitewashing? Maybe?

If I wasn't getting Donnie Yen in the Star Wars universe, I'd be madder.

I suspect also that it might be a bit of pandering to the Chinese market? See Donnie Yen as a blind warrior monk in a Star Wars movie?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Maybe they're referring to the culture of working hard, scrimping, and trying to eke out a living? If we're talking ancient Chinese culture, unless you're nobility it's hard to get by, whereas these "ultra rich" Chinese kids are driving expensive cars, wearing designer clothes, and taking exotic Instagram photos. Is there a disconnect there? Sure, but that applies to every culture where there's a vast gulf between the rich and the poor.

Unless they're differentiating between Chinese and Western culture, then yes there's a disconnect there, but the rising standard of living in China is bridging the gap. For instance, meat was considered a luxury in China but consumption has greatly increased.

Or are we talking about where Chinese immigrants used to go into science, medicine, finance, but these ultra rich ones are going into fashion design and entrepreneurship?
Maybe the practice of empathy and Confuciousnism? A respect for history and elders? More focus on material wealth and goods than self improvement? I definitely see a bit less of that with mainland Chinese than Hong Kong/Taiwan.

Llyranor

At least he's likely to get some action scenes.

Way better than the trash roles they gave The Raid actors in TFA. Hey, let's put some of the top action stars in the industry and give them 2 lines of dialogue and have them run away from CG crap!!

https://youtu.be/IZs2i3Bpxx4?t=688

So above is the video in question at the related time. The guy is making an argument about immigrants from the mainland not really seeking out cultural centers/associations in Vancouver's Chinatown. Now, my issue with this is that not all Chinese people connect with Chinatown nor would they think of Chinatown as the first place to go to if they wanted to connect culturally. I certainly don't. But I have heard the argument that Mainland Chinese aren't in tune with the more classic Chinese cultural customs/histories etc.. due to the lasting effects Cultural Revolution, the industrial modernization of China and the effects of the one child policy on family unit's structure. I'm just curious what the perspective with that are.

SRG01

So above is the video in question at the related time. The guy is making an argument about immigrants from the mainland not really seeking out cultural centers/associations in Vancouver's Chinatown. Now, my issue with this is that not all Chinese people connect with Chinatown nor would they think of Chinatown as the first place to go to if they wanted to connect culturally. I certainly don't. But I have heard the argument that Mainland Chinese aren't in tune with the more classic Chinese cultural customs/histories etc.. due to the lasting effects Cultural Revolution, the industrial modernization of China and the effects of the one child policy on family unit's structure. I'm just curious what the perspective with that are.

Many of my Chinese friends who grew up in modern China have the same observations.

Maybe the practice of empathy and Confuciousnism? A respect for history and elders? More focus on material wealth and goods than self improvement? I definitely see a bit less of that with mainland Chinese than Hong Kong/Taiwan.

Maybe. Those values seem universal, though.

Hmm.

Back when Chinese people started immigrating to North America, they were treated like second-class citizens. The Chinatowns that sprouted up were their only sanctuary, and the only way they could relate to anyone, meet fellow Chinese, etc.

Time passed. Those early Chinese immigrants were given the same rights as other North Americans. They saved up, and brought their families over. These children grew up in English-speaking schools, went to university, and started working here. They started families of their own. They moved away from Chinatown, into communities around the country. They were as much a part of North American society and culture as anyone else.

Now, we have a new wave of Chinese immigrants. These aren't the impoverished ones limited to a small part of the city, trying to save enough money to bring their families over. They are wealthy and successful people who made their fortune in China. They don't need to integrate into North American society. They don't need to speak English, or go to medical school, or work two jobs to pay for their children's college fund. They're here to spend their wealth and stash their funds away from the prying eyes of the Chinese government.

I don't know if that has much to do with ancient Chinese customs or history. I mean, second-generation Chinese who grew up in North America probably don't know too much about that stuff. Maybe it is the modernization and Westernization going on (and the piles of money) that makes them want to be more like the "rich white men" and less like the "traditional Chinese".

I do agree that Chinatown is fading because the new generation doesn't relate to the history (I know my parents are fighting hard to keep it but it's hard for me to care) and the new immigrants don't relate either (plus they settle in more upscale communities).

Yea, sadly your last line is correct right now. I was actually surprised to hear and see Donnie Yen in Star Wars. I didn't know until my friend told me about it earlier this year. I actually made a joke that he was going to somehow have the stereotypical Asian martial artist role and..... I wasn't too far off.

It's something at least. For now. Will he have a major role in ths movie or..... am I asking for too much?

vern

If anyone wants to see the food street in Luoyang, Henan, as well as my garbage mandarin, plus a lady that hates the Japanese... check out our new video on youtube. Hope you all enjoy it more than the first shaky cam intro one haha. Let me know any feedback if anyone does watch it, hope to continue to improve each time.

https://youtu.be/55dePObQlu8

I think being able to relate to a culture from thousands of years ago is kind of strange to me. How can you relate or not relate to something that's changed so much. Confucius was during the Spring and Autumn era and that was what, almost 3,000 years ago. Even within our our culture, we changed a lot. Culture doesn't stay in one spot, it evolves. I don't think there's any "true" Chinese culture, unless you mean you want to do things like back in 500 BC.

After having traveled each of the last couple of months, I'm now having travel withdrawal. Finally got my Global Entry/TSA Precheck too

Need to plan a vacation asap

I'm finally reading Fresh off the Boat and my god, Eddie's dad is a real crazy ass OG (not in a good way).

Parental advice- Eddie's dad lecturing Eddie and his friends after getting arrested for a fighting.

-Why'd you agree to fight that kid 1 on 1? Fuck that, you don't fight for honor, you fight to win. You always bring numbers. The only time I agree to fight 1 on 1 would be to set a trap so my boys can jump them 4 on 1. Fat ass..

robox

i know an actual Doreamon. Everyone calls him that.
i don't know if that's his actual name, as that was how my friend introduced him.
he's an exchange student from singapore or something

Zoe

No way. That place is all style over substance. Caesar's Bacchanal Buffet is way better in terms of food quality.

No way. Bacchanal has gone downhill just in the past couple of years that we've been going. We finally tried Wicked Spoon for brunch, and it was so much better.

I've never had a good time at Wicked Spoon. I always go in thinking I will because it looks so good, but it's never good.

Sad to hear that Bacchanal is getting worse, though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Question: do you know any married heterosexual couples where the woman proposed to the man? Your thoughts on that? Did they tell the family? Would you?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Question: do you know any married heterosexual couples where the woman proposed to the man? Your thoughts on that? Did they tell the family? Would you?

The second time around the missus proposed to me - and I told the family. Her family is Caucasian though, so not nearly the cultural taboo I suspect.

9cc.gif

Top Bottom