• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

As of right now, it's 1.37 US dollars and falling.

sX8jB.gif

Sober

Classic posts can be found on gaming side such as this

Lol that's assuming creativity even exists in a country like China.

So to answer that no probably never.

I don't even feel like engaging that poster at all. Yep, let's just stick with all Chinese people are human financial calculators.

zeemumu

No, it's not.

It may use elements of satire, but that does not make Shrek satire. Shrek, as satire, would overall have to be satirical - be making a point on something. Shrek, IIRC, is not a satire on fairytales or whatever. It takes a few elements of normal fairytale stories and portrays them satirically, but overall it isn't satire.

At least, not in my opinion. I'm sure other people have other opinions, as they are well entitled to.

It's a satire on the general roles that most fairy tales characters and creatures take on and proving the point that they don't have to conform to those roles and that the fairy tales themselves aren't so cut and dry, or by the book (literally).

Shrek's an ogre and is genre savvy to the point where he consciously uses all of the cliches even though that's not his personality at all. Fiona and the other princesses behave as damsels in distress despite being fully capable of handling themselves. Shrek and Fiona's relationship is anything but by the book and she's initially annoyed at that, and it causes a rift in their relationship later. They're all aware of their roles and initially accept them as something that has to be. The humor/ridicule portion of the satire kicks in when you see that they have actual personalities outside of these roles and the point is when they ditch the roles almost entirely and the world doesn't implode.

zeemumu

I don't see all of that as being satire, necessarily, though, but you're free to interpret it that way!

But that's the definition of satire
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

The irony and humor is that the characters' personalities and characteristics do not match their given roles and the issue or lesson to be learned falls into the idea of surface judgement and freedom to branch out because it trap you in an unhappy life otherwise. It works fine as a satire.

I've always found it interesting when you put China and USA's stances towards intellectual property side by side. China does absolutely nothing unless you're a big Chinese company whereas the US has the absolute worst copyright laws known to mankind to the point where you have people filing frivolous patents, essentially squatting on ideas. At the end of the day, both systems incentivize for people to profit off other people's work. It's just at different points.

yogloo

I've always found it interesting when you put China and USA's stances towards intellectual property side by side. China does absolutely nothing unless you're a big Chinese company whereas the US has the absolute worst copyright laws known to mankind to the point where you have people filing frivolous patents, essentially squatting on ideas. At the end of the day, both systems incentivize for people to profit off other people's work. It's just at different points.
I've never thought about it that way but that's true.

BlueSteel

Side note- we went to Lotus of Siam as seen on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. It was fucking amazing and probably one of my highlights tbh.

Khao soi with short rib.

Hmph bless your heart.

I've been there. It's pretty baller. Went with buddies on our road trip to LA, and our lasting impression was the waiter, who not only seemingly knew the menu by heart, but also took our orders down without writing anything.

oh, the food was good too.

So uh..... How is everybodies skin/tanning situation like? My forearems and legs (nearly up to my knees) are darker compared to the rest of my body lol. I need to find a way to darken the rest lul.

robox

Cyclist tan since like April. Heavy neckline when I take my shirt off.

I'm in Thailand currently. People think I'm Japanese. Or say I look like Thai. Then I say I'm from Canada and they may get confused. then I end by saying I'm Chinese but don't speak Mandarin. I'm canto

Also, the Thailand-Burma railway aka Death railway is really fucked up. Actually railways in general have not been kind to Asian people....

vern

Cyclist tan since like April. Heavy neckline when I take my shirt off.

I'm in Thailand currently. People think I'm Japanese. Or say I look like Thai. Then I say I'm from Canada and they may get confused. then I end by saying I'm Chinese but don't speak Mandarin. I'm canto

Also, the Thailand-Burma railway aka Death railway is really fucked up. Actually railways in general have not been kind to Asian people....

How long you in Thailand for? Probably heading there in a week or two for a break from China. Where you at in Thai?

dramatis

I rarely tan but it's pretty even because I usually tan while swimming.

Btw... I have some news :D
Congrats!

Be careful with the ring though. Engagement rings always remind me of that one time my biology teacher thought she might have lost hers in the guts of the frogs we were dissecting.

I'm dark for an Asian.. Used to think that I was impervious to sun damage but then on my first trip to Hawaii last summer, I got sun burned for the first time..

I'm vampire-pale but I don't sparkle in the sunlight. I burn relatively easily as well.

Sooooo you're essentially a vampire?

Awesome.

I don't think I can get raccoon eyes but I haven't been out in the sun long enough. That's one thing I would hate to happen to me. Having raccoon eyes out in the public. I look goofy enough as it is but with raccoon eyes?! I'm done.

Uh. Hello everybody.

Man everyone in my fam that's around my age or younger are doing very big careers. I have such regrets about ... being a teacher. Sometimes I feel like I could have reached higher as a status.

Anyone else odd one out like that? I have such depression over my career choice.

vern

Uh. Hello everybody.

Man everyone in my fam that's around my age or younger are doing very big careers. I have such regrets about ... being a teacher. Sometimes I feel like I could have reached higher as a status.

Anyone else odd one out like that? I have such depression over my career choice.

I was a high school teacher in what seems like a previous life. There is still time to change! No reason to be depressed and stuck. The world is your oyster!

Also congrats Bunny!

And as for me... pretty much wrapping up my journey across China. Took heaps of video and photos. You guys all know where to find it if you want it so I won't share it again. Moving down to the south of China now, border of Laos and China. Gonna figure out next step in my life while I pitch some stories to Chinese websites about the trip, have a little bit of media interest already but nothing concrete. Gotta get my videos properly edited asap.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Uh. Hello everybody.

Have no regret about being a teacher. You're doing the more selfless and societally beneficial choice IMO. Teacher is one of the highest callings in this country IMO.

Congrats Cybit for getting married!

-

TimeEffect, don't sweat it breh. I'm in my own hell and I can't get out of it due to anxiety and mental health issues. Know that you have a wonderful job and that it helps just as much as what your fam are doing career-wise.

The thing about a career is that it can come from almost anything. If you feel like being a teacher isn't as worthy as what your fam are doing, start side hustling. Read books on design, technology, etc. Then take action from what you've read.

Find another forum besides GAF to help you understand your side hustle better. Education isn't cheap but google can go a long way dude. Reddit, instagram, youtube, etc. There are so many ways to start a new hobby and turn it into your career.

If you aren't happy about something in your life, do something about it.

P.S. I give more advice than listening to my own advice. It sucks.

-

Top Bottom