• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

When I went to HK last year (2 day layovers both sides of a Taiwan trip) I did the following:

Went up Victoria Peak (during the day tho)
Walked through Hong Kong Park (there's a mini museum there too)
Walked through Nathan Road + Ocean City on the Kowloon side
Saw the Festival of Lights from the Kowloon side
Took the Star Ferry across the Harbor
Tried to go to a Hong Kong National Soccer Team game
Walked around a lot around Wanchai/HK Island side
Ate a lot

Definitely worth taking a double decker up Victoria's Peak and at least once across the harbor and sitting on the top level so you can see things. I do wish I ate at some dai pai dongs / cha chaan tengs tho. My mom's uncle was taking us to places and we mostly went to regular restaurants.

Do remember to wash your rice bowls and chopsticks tho! And the plate is strictly a trash plate, at least in the regular Chinese places

Damn, I haven't been to the movie theater in a while. Got a free ticket to Suicide Squad from Tmobile tuesdays.

Going in with lowered expectations.

I'm reading that Hilary as the most powerful woman in the world thread and I dunno which side I'm more annoyed with, the americentric or Eurocentric view of history...

nukedeggs

That Sun Yang thread is like some kind of release valve for people to freely generalize China, make fun of Chinese people, bring up Chinese tourists, etc sigh. I shoulda known that going into any sort of thread relating to Asians is a bad idea...

Edit: Or maybe I'm just being oversensitive. I dunno. Something about it got my hackles raised. Though Sun Yang wouldnt be the best hill to die on given that he did get dinged for drugs before.

GAF needs its weekly China thread to vent out all the racism lurking beneath the surface. Sort of like a release valve, since bitching about "them fucking n-words" is bannable here.

We used to see a lot more WHY ARE MUSLIMS TERRORISTS threads but those started getting clamped down.

It's okay. Have a cup of tea with us :D

I could really use some tea or coffee haven't had any for four months now. My family only has sweet tea and de-caf coffee neither of which I like.

MikeMyers

Speaking of discrimination, I saw some videos earlier about how in India there has been a lot of discrimination towards the North-East Indians (who look more East-Asian like).

Sad to see. :(

Our white mayor is dating a Chinese pop star, whose mother is facing corruption charges in China. It's like every Chinese stereotype rolled into one.

Moonkid

On a positive note I went down to Gisborne, a city on the eastern shore of New Zealand, last weekend and was taken back by the Asian mayor they have! And he's fluent in Maori. It was an oddly touching sight :')

I Married A Man Because I Was So Impressed That He Could Say ‘Ni Hao’

TadkV.gif

I'm in disbelief with how people can possibly say that isn't racist. "Ignorant at best." Oh, so there's an "at best" scenario regarding overt racism now?

Would I get banned if I posted a picture of clearly racist and offensive blackface and said it also isn't racist in that thread? I'm assuming I would, even if I put "/s" at the end.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I can see it being an anime face filter but couldn't Snapchat go with the big scary round anime eyes instead of squinty ones? Whenever I think of anime eye, I think big round and scary looking ones since they are more representative of anime eyes. As of now, it looks more like those old WW2 posters of Japanese than anime. What a stupid execution by Snapchat.

Bunny nooooooo :(

Moonkid

Damn, hope the ban isn't too long though I don't know how Gaf moderation works. Will it automatically be linger than her previous one?

zeemumu

Better question to ask is how much pull that person has who could question it

Should you need pull to say "this might be offensive to some people. Maybe we should rethink it" for a filter? Filters don't seem like something that's decided and pushed through by a single person.

AfroMW

Should you need pull to say "this might be offensive to some people. Maybe we should rethink it" for a filter? Filters don't seem like something that's decided and pushed through by a single person.

You'd be surprised how quickly ideas or suggestions can get washed if they don't get it. That kind of thinking to minimize the situation is common in the workplace as much as it shows in the thread

zeemumu

You'd be surprised how quickly ideas or suggestions can get washed if they don't get it. That kind of thinking to minimize the situation is common in the workplace as much as it shows in the thread

I understand that, but this seems like something that should be standard before you put out anything.

AfroMW

I understand that, but this seems like something that should be standard before you put out anything.

100% behind you there just there have many instances where things get through and you have to wonder why. Hell they already had a backlash before and maybe they guessed it would cool off as well with their recent add-in

Moonkid

Fake edit: Pretty sure I saw the before and was going to agree/coin Moonkid's Law. Oh well.
Oopsy so someone did see that haha. I was on mobile and accidentally hit post before I could elaborate on it and so I removed it because I felt that on it's own wasn't enough. But since it did resonate with at least one person, what I said was that every discussion on racism or sexism hinges on a somewhat arbitrary judgement on whether or not something is indeed racist or sexist. I don't think I've ever seen a thread move past this in the past 2 years. You can go ahead and coin it if you'd like :) It's a shame because there is potential for discussion beyond this and perhaps most importantly, people can learn why something could be problematic for others even if it's not immediately noticeable to them.

I imagine you would need to break them apart to use them as proper chopsticks. Otherwise, the two sticks can at best be parallel.

"Fun" fact: my brother-in-law's (wife's sister's husband) cousin was recently hired to be Panda's new executive chef, and they were going to have him revamp the menu. And then he died suddenly. =(

Top Bottom