• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Thought so though pretty obvious from GAF threads. My family's too poor to eat at fast food places so we typically just grow our own food; healthier that way anyways.

We need some food pics.
WemAPZX.jpg

bIvqKvJ.jpg

ipOmmLU.jpg

So you know how we were talking about Asians wanting to pay for everything first? It happened recently again lol. We were heading to the drive-in and my sister and her husband was like, "we should hurry up and get there first and pay for everybody." We were too slow and the other party paid for us already :p

Dammit!

Also, no food pics lately. I haven't been out to eat recently. More going out to accompany my family during Pokemon hunting hah.

So you know how we were talking about Asians wanting to pay for everything first? It happened recently again lol. We were heading to the drive-in and my sister and her husband was like, "we should hurry up and get there first and pay for everybody." We were too slow and the other party paid for us already :p

Dammit!

Also, no food pics lately. I haven't been out to eat recently. More going out to accompany my family during Pokemon hunting hah.

yeah, happened the last time my uncle was visiting

my mom was super anxious that i should be able to pay for the meal but he got to the bill first and paid and apparently this was tantamount of dishonor to my mom

lol

I was out with my girlfriend and her family for dim sum and I sat on the outside. When the waiter came with the bill, my girlfriend's mom reached for it but since I was on the outside and closer, I grabbed it.

Yeah. The trick these days is to usr chicanery. Either "go to the restroom" and pay or talk to the manager as you arrive and hand him your card right then or convince him to give you the bill later.

SRG01

I still stand by the tab with the restaurant trick that a family friend of mine had :) Then again, this guy was fairly well off and has connections...

yeah, happened the last time my uncle was visiting

my mom was super anxious that i should be able to pay for the meal but he got to the bill first and paid and apparently this was tantamount of dishonor to my mom

lol

image.php

I've seen my family get in to (not serious) arguments and light scuffles over a bill, it's crazy. I have a sensible aunt who keeps her head down though, I don't think I've ever seen her pay.

image.php

I've seen my family get in to (not serious) arguments and light scuffles over a bill, it's crazy. I have a sensible aunt who keeps her head down though, I don't think I've ever seen her pay.

lol yeah

my mom actually got pretty upset about my failure ... (not serious upset but yeah pretty upset) and i just scratch my head. i dont quite get it, i guess. i mean i offered to pay and made attempts to, so its not like i was looking for a free meal. its just that uncle was super fast at it.

:x

lol yeah

my mom actually got pretty upset about my failure ... (not serious upset but yeah pretty upset) and i just scratch my head. i dont quite get it, i guess. i mean i offered to pay and made attempts to, so its not like i was looking for a free meal. its just that uncle was super fast at it.

Your uncle might be a mystic.

My fam does it to me from time to time. They know I'm struggling career-wise and they always pay for me but when I try to or have paid for my stuff already they always go, "why didn't you tell me you were going to pay for it?! It's fine fatty (yes, we all call each other fatty lol). Whenever we are going out don't worry about it, ok?" I've been a burden long enough and I just hate the feeling of not paying most of the time.

It's an entirely different thing that I mentioned but it's within the same area.

My fam does it to me from time to time. They know I'm struggling career-wise and they always pay for me but when I try to or have paid for my stuff already they always go, "why didn't you tell me you were going to pay for it?! It's fine fatty (yes, we all call each other fatty lol). Whenever we are going out don't worry about it, ok?" I've been a burden long enough and I just hate the feeling of not paying most of the time.

It's an entirely different thing that I mentioned but it's within the same area.

lol the fatty thing is so asian :x

and that south korean gamergate thread is making my head hurt now :<

StMeph

I'll fight extended family members for the check, and it's never come to shouting or actually scuffling, but there is an escalating arms race of deceit and subterfuge. At least friends have come to a mutual understanding: either we split bills or alternate paying and no one is allowed to complain.

lol yeah

I think it was more that you uncle was a guest

lol yeah

I like their trick where they make you feel bad for disrespecting your elders by paying for them out of turn.

lol the fatty thing is so asian :x
Yeah.

I think it was more that you uncle was a guest

yesh, but i did try to pay so mom shouldnt be psycho about it! uncle was just faster and he wouldnt hear any of it. i think uncle was prideful and dislike the thought that his niece would be picking the bill???

but im the local and i earn in australian dollah???????

?????

PROFIT

It's a bunch of people who don't understand pretending to understand.

yeah. it's really discouraging :< sometimes i just feel there's no space for girl gamers or for the asian perspective in GAF

idk

i bailed from thread :x couldnt really deal with it anymore .___.

I don't know if I really believe people who says this:

Other people shouldn't tell us if something isn't racist.

That's what happens to alot of Asian related threads. Like, people are supposed to tell us, Asians, that this or that isn't racist? It's especially worse when their are other Asians who go, "I'm Asian and I find that not racist. Stupid, sure, but not racist." Then GAF, most of the time, quotes said person(s) as truth.

That's what I feel about the Asian perspective on GAF. It's a bunch of people, including our own, who tells us that we shouldn't be offended and/or outraged. It's stuff like that, that allows people to stomp all over us. But it's ok AsianGAF! It's just a joke and we should just be cool about it!

If I had better debating skills, I would jump in those threads. We got hybrid, prime, yesno, etc. who can better present an argument than I can. The best I'll do is quote one of y'all and leave the thread.

i think it's fair that some asians feel differently about stuff, but yeah, when they are quoted and used as a banner for validating gross behaviours, it does feel awfully demoralizing.

cdyhybrid

I would just have to ask where these people are coming from.

The banner of "Asian" covers a ridiculously large range of people, with incredibly varied experiences, upbringings, values, etc. Shit, a lot of us might not even speak the same languages.

So when someone makes a blanket statement about an issue concerning "Asians" I have to ask - how much skin do you actually have in the game? Not to discredit the person off the bat, but I wonder if that person is a member of the group that's being most affected by said issue - and whether they're coming from a space that understands why said issue is an issue.

It's kinda similar to the stuff with Ghost in the Shell. I don't expect someone who was born and raised, and currently lives and works, in Japan to understand the issues that Asian-Americans face in Hollywood. But that doesn't stop people from taking said person's opinion as speaking for every one of us.

The banner of "Asian" covers a ridiculously large range of people, with incredibly varied experiences, upbringings, values, etc. Shit, a lot of us might not even speak the same languages.

So when someone makes a blanket statement about an issue concerning "Asians" I have to ask - how much skin do you actually have in the game? Not to discredit the person off the bat, but I wonder if that person is a member of the group that's being most affected by said issue - and whether they're coming from a space that understands why said issue is an issue.

It's kinda similar to the stuff with Ghost in the Shell. I don't expect someone who was born and raised, and currently lives and works, in Japan to understand the issues that Asian-Americans face in Hollywood. But that doesn't stop people from taking said person's opinion as speaking for every one of us.

its true. i have to admit im one of the 'problem' asians when it comes down to GiTS casting. i didnt quite understand the asian-american's struggle to EXIST in hollywood and/or mainstream american media. i had to read a lot of AsianGAF and talk a lot with you guys and with bunny, to actually be able to glean the surface of the problem faced by asian-americans in american media.

im still very much one foot in asia and one foot in my new country (i go back home very often and my parents are still in asia... so im first generation, i guess) so when i want to see asian actors, i just resort to asian media. which i have easy access to. so it was a 'wakeywakey' moment for me to listen and hear how asian-americans almost do not exist in any meaningful representations in mainstream american media and that you guys have to claw and struggle to get tiny victories.

i think i have made a few unfortunate posts in GiTS threads that was quoted :< but like hybrid says, my perspective is actually not quite representative of what asian-americans have to deal with.

tl;dr: i agree with hybrid, it's weird that sometimes an asian's contribution isn't questioned in terms of how much skin he/she/they got in the game. "asians" cover a HUGE swath of people and it can be disingenuous just to accept an 'asian' anecdote without clarifying further.

cdyhybrid

its true. i have to admit im one of the 'problem' asians when it comes down to GiTS casting. i didnt quite understand the asian-american's struggle to EXIST in hollywood and/or mainstream american media. i had to read a lot of AsianGAF and talk a lot with you guys and with bunny, to actually be able to glean the surface of the problem faced by asian-americans in american media.

im still very much one foot in asia and one foot in my new country (i go back home very often and my parents are still in asia... so im first generation, i guess) so when i want to see asian actors, i just resort to asian media. which i have easy access to. so it was a 'wakeywakey' moment for me to listen and hear how asian-americans almost do not exist in any meaningful representations in mainstream american media and that you guys have to claw and struggle to get tiny victories.

i think i have made a few unfortunate posts in GiTS threads that was quoted :< but like hybrid says, my perspective is actually not quite representative of what asian-americans have to deal with.

tl;dr: i agree with hybrid, it's weird that sometimes an asian's contribution isn't questioned in terms of how much skin he/she/they got in the game. "asians" cover a HUGE swath of people and it can be disingenuous just to accept an 'asian' anecdote without clarifying further.

It's an issue that all minorities face. We are treated as monoliths. One minority does something awful, it reflects poorly on all of us. One white person does something awful, they have mental illness and are an outlier.

Yep. I'm incredibly guilty of this. I'm not going to lie. I like to lump us all together but we all face different issues altogether.

I do recognize one person that I've pm'd before and he seems like a good person and seems to understand the issues being seen when he creates threads related to Asians and Asian Americans. He genuinely seems to seek knowledge about our issues and wants to know more. Shoutout to him.

Oh god, I sort of remember that thread where Japanese folks were questioned about the way the movie is going. If memory serves me right, was nearly everyone going, "see?! We told you so." Am I correct or am I somewhere close to it?

-

Onto yesno's consuming Asian media, I can see where you are coming from. I think for some Asian Americans who consume Asian media they have your pov. Are we making more moves towards more representation? Very slowly. For hollywood, it is a neverending battle. We get casted as stereotypes and tropes.

I am honestly still surprised that we got Harold & Kumar (multiple movies at it too!) and Selfie (sucks that it got canceled as soon as people said it got good :/ ). An East Asian and South Asian as the lead roles in a Hollywood movie?! Two Asians who barely fit into stereotypical Asian roles?!?! They also partied!! Holy shit. Then a leading role that has a romantic interest?!?! Damn. For a brief moment there, I was proud of hollywood. I also can't forget about Glenn. But hollywood needs to get their shit together.

And yes, people of all colors get treated as a monolith by everybody.

MikeMyers

I am honestly still surprised that we got Harold & Kumar (multiple movies at it too!) and Selfie (sucks that it got canceled as soon as people said it got good :/ ). An East Asian and South Asian as the lead roles in a Hollywood movie?! Two Asians who barely fit into stereotypical Asian roles?!?! They also partied!! Holy shit. Then a leading role that has a romantic interest?!?! Damn. For a brief moment there, I was proud of hollywood. I also can't forget about Glenn. But hollywood needs to get their shit together.

And yes, people of all colors get treated as a monolith by everybody.

Makes you wonder what the highest grossing Hollywood film with Asian-American as the protagonist is. Probably is Harold & Kumar lol.

Time to check Box Office Mojo!

Oh god, I sort of remember that thread where Japanese folks were questioned about the way the movie is going. If memory serves me right, was nearly everyone going, "see?! We told you so." Am I correct or am I somewhere close to it?

yeah. it was bad :x very eye-opening for me. cuz i was one of them who didn't see the huge fuss about GiTS casting .___.

i have learned much since o7

Onto yesno's consuming Asian media, I can see where you are coming from. I think for some Asian Americans who consume Asian media they have your pov. Are we making more moves towards more representation? Very slowly. For hollywood, it is a neverending battle. We get casted as stereotypes and tropes.

yes, i think it's a good fight o7 why shouldnt asian-americans be acknowledged as part of america's own culture and people instead of casted as stereotypes and tropes?

i hope you guys will continue to win your battles for representations <3 i will be cheering!

Sarye

I remember a thread where they were talking about Chinese businessmen and someone says, "My Korean girlfriend says it's not racist"

Right because China and Korea are totally the same.

I remember a thread where they were talking about Chinese businessmen and someone says, "My Korean girlfriend says it's not racist"

Right because China and Korea are totally the same.

We're all the same, like Stormtroopers

By the way, what is GAFs fascination with Korean girls ______? I have never watched any of their videos and have only seen gifs that GifGAF posts from time to time. Are the videos actually good or am I safe to assume they know exactly what they are doing to get views?

I have to say that reading this thread has opened my eyes to the lack of Asian representation in mainstream media. Now, when I see commercials/ads on TV, I mentally count the racial representation. A lot of infomercials (I watch local TV okay) feature white people exclusively. I mean, there are no laws against it, but it just shows you what the status quo is when they don't have the scrutiny or popularity.

I remember an ad many years ago for a wireless carrier promoting its "My5" feature: you would get unlimited calling and texting to 5 of your friends. On the ad, it showed 5 people: 2 couples (including one Asian girl-white guy pairing) and 1 single guy. Of course, the single guy was Asian.

MikeMyers

On the ad, it showed 5 people: 2 couples (including one Asian girl-white guy pairing) and 1 single guy. Of course, the single guy was Asian.

I work at a movie theater and literally every primetime set, there's been at least one Asian-Girl/White-Guy pairing. It's too the point where my manager has joked he'll give a raise to anyone who can find the Asian-Guy/White-Girl pairing.

I have to say that reading this thread has opened my eyes to the lack of Asian representation in mainstream media. Now, when I see commercials/ads on TV, I mentally count the racial representation. A lot of infomercials (I watch local TV okay) feature white people exclusively. I mean, there are no laws against it, but it just shows you what the status quo is when they don't have the scrutiny or popularity.

I remember an ad many years ago for a wireless carrier promoting its "My5" feature: you would get unlimited calling and texting to 5 of your friends. On the ad, it showed 5 people: 2 couples (including one Asian girl-white guy pairing) and 1 single guy. Of course, the single guy was Asian.
It's funny. Just the other day, I saw this article that was titled like, "The US Women's Gymnastic Team Showcases America's Diversity," or something to that effect. The team consists of two black girls, one white girl, a black-Hispanic girl, and I think a girl of Middle Eastern descent. Great! What's missing?

I also struggled with caring about Asian representation American media. I think I've reached the point where I still am not personally affected, but empathize with those that do. And of course, I notice outright stupid BS when it occurs.

On another note, I was walking down Venice beach on Saturday with my wife and sister when a guy strolling by mutters something along the lines of "Korean girl? Chinese girl?" or something in our direction. I couldn't really hear but I the gist of it was him trying to catcall the women I was with. I did a double take because the way he was doing it was so bizarre. It was said under his breath and he wasn't slowing down to approach, but he was eyeballing us. When I got over my shock he had just about passed us and all I could muster was a "What the fuck dude?" He kept walking nonchalantly. No one else on the crowded walkway noticed him or my outburst.

My wife and sister didn't even look up from their phones. When I asked them about it my wife said that he was definitely spouting some racist game at them but she doesn't even notice it anymore.

I had a lot of mixed feelings about that. Funnily enough we had just been talking about casual racism towards Asians, as a waitress during lunch had asked us where we were from, and of course, we answered NorCal but we live in SoCal, which confused her. When we finally revealed our ethnicity, she told us that she knew how to say hi in Korean, and asked us to teach her in Chinese.

That encounter brought up mixed feelings because the waitress was latina and had an accent, making it very likely that was a foreigner herself and was probably genuinely interested in other cultures as opposed to a random weeaboo.

I don't think I would have thought about any of this a few years ago.

I also struggled with caring about Asian representation American media. I think I've reached the point where I still am not personally affected, but empathize with those that do. And of course, I notice outright stupid BS when it occurs.

On another note, I was walking down Venice beach on Saturday with my wife and sister when a guy strolling by mutters something along the lines of "Korean girl? Chinese girl?" or something in our direction. I couldn't really hear but I the gist of it was him trying to catcall the women I was with. I did a double take because the way he was doing it was so bizarre. It was said under his breath and he wasn't slowing down to approach, but he was eyeballing us. When I got over my shock he had just about passed us and all I could muster was a "What the fuck dude?" He kept walking nonchalantly. No one else on the crowded walkway noticed him or my outburst.

My wife and sister didn't even look up from their phones. When I asked them about it my wife said that he was definitely spouting some racist game at them but she doesn't even notice it anymore.

I had a lot of mixed feelings about that. Funnily enough we had just been talking about casual racism towards Asians, as a waitress during lunch had asked us where we were from, and of course, we answered NorCal but we live in SoCal, which confused her. When we finally revealed our ethnicity, she told us that she knew how to say hi in Korean, and asked us to teach her in Chinese.

That encounter brought up mixed feelings because the waitress was latina and had an accent, making it very likely that was a foreigner herself and was probably genuinely interested in other cultures as opposed to a random weeaboo.

I don't think I would have thought about any of this a few years ago.

I never understood why people ask this and that's coming from a person studying to be a language teacher. It's literally an impossible task like asking a physicist to teach you some solid-state physics. I could see a person who is conversational in a language asking someone if they spoke it and if they could practice with you that fine ; It's similar to when I'm a conversational partner at school. Maybe I'm underestimating the joy a person gets from learning one word in a language after soul crushingly going through thousands of flash cards in Spanish,German,Hanzi,Japanese.

I never understood why people ask this and that's coming from a person studying to be a language teacher. It's literally an impossible task like asking a physicist to teach you some solid-state physics. I could see a person who is conversational in a language asking someone if they spoke it and if they could practice with you that fine ; It's similar to when I'm a conversational partner at school. Maybe I'm underestimating the joy a person gets from learning one word in a language after soul crushingly going through thousands of flash cards in Spanish,German,Hanzi,Japanese.

I really don't get it either. I think some people believe that some people enjoy it when you spout a few phrases in their native tongue? A belief that I have never seen validated. At best you elicit an awww cute you're close but not really response. At worst it comes off as patronizing. Like, learn to actually speak the language fluently because of an actual reason, and then I'll be impressed.

For instance, years ago before my first trip to Japan I was encouraged to learn a few phrases. And not just essential ones, but a few conversational phrases. Putting aside the fact that I'm terrible at languages, I just didn't see the point. Why the hell would Japanese people be impressed that I attempted to mangle a few catchphrases?

Years later I actually took a community college class to learn some Japanese because I was dating a Japanese girl. Like, that's a real reason to learn a full language (9/10 people in the class cited liking Anime as their reason). Memorizing a few random phrases to recite to randoms is just strange.

SRG01

It's an issue that all minorities face. We are treated as monoliths. One minority does something awful, it reflects poorly on all of us. One white person does something awful, they have mental illness and are an outlier.

Yeah, this kind of hits home. I'm 1st gen Hong Kong, but most people think that most Hong Kong people are filthy rich. That couldn't be further from the truth since the vast majority of us that emigrated to North America were poor, blue-collar workers.

To this day, I can still see disgustingly large numbers of Chinese working poor as cooks, janitors, laborers, etc; and very few ultra-rich Chinese. But I suppose it doesn't take much to create a stereotype.

Yeah, this kind of hits home. I'm 1st gen Hong Kong, but most people think that most Hong Kong people are filthy rich. That couldn't be further from the truth since the vast majority of us that emigrated to North America were poor, blue-collar workers.

To this day, I can still see disgustingly large numbers of Chinese working poor as cooks, janitors, laborers, etc; and very few ultra-rich Chinese. But I suppose it doesn't take much to create a stereotype.

It's because no one ever hears about the poor Chinese when they see all the rich people stories and all them Chinese people buying up everything.

Oh, HI. I'am Nomad Sparks, I hail from the state of Missouri and as you can imagine, don't get a lot asians in small town Missouri. Just here to say hi and I want to shout out to backslash bunny, hey I really like you as a friend and what not

I hadn't a lot of asian friends in my life in childhood but there was a girl in vacouver who is very famous and i won't mention her screen name but she practically saved me from throwing myself over a goddamn overpass by letting me talk to her on Skype when I had worked at an awful factory. (Town's filled with those things.)

So it has come to my attention that chinese corporations buying Missouri farm land and using it has become a hot political issue in my part of Missouri because all of western media is so lazer focused on the rich chinese, not the poor chinese and what not. Let me tell you how fucking offensive that fuckawful ad is to me. I knew a foreign exchange chinese student by the name of Ken Ma in 5th grade and after that I never knew of what happened to him until I got a FB account and apparently he really loves STL and works there. Never met him. But he was cool to me in middle school.

Sorry for the rambling just need to read more into this thread.

Oh, HI. I'am Nomad Sparks, I hail from the state of Missouri and as you can imagine, don't get a lot asians in small town Missouri. Just here to say hi and I want to shout out to backslash bunny, hey I really like you as a friend and what not

I hadn't a lot of asian friends in my life in childhood but there was a girl in vacouver who is very famous and i won't mention her screen name but she practically saved me from throwing myself over a goddamn overpass by letting me talk to her on Skype when I had worked at an awful factory. (Town's filled with those things.)

So it has come to my attention that chinese corporations buying Missouri farm land and using it has become a hot political issue in my part of Missouri because all of western media is so lazer focused on the rich chinese, not the poor chinese and what not. Let me tell you how fucking offensive that fuckawful ad is to me. I knew a foreign exchange chinese student by the name of Ken Ma in 5th grade and after that I never knew of what happened to him until I got a FB account and apparently he really loves STL and works there. Never met him. But he was cool to me in middle school.

Sorry for the rambling just need to read more into this thread.

welcome

pls post the tributary food porn pics as price of admittance to this thread when you can

Top Bottom