• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Yo Asian New Zealander here what up. I've definitely been luckier than most as well, never been told to go back to my own country for example.

holla neighbourino~

oh i was told that by some random kids when i was still in my teens. nothing that bad recently though. thankfully :>

vern

Speaking of Asian people down under, when I was 19 I moved away from the USA to study in Australia. I had only really ever heard Asian people speak with an American accent, or accent from whatever country they may or may not have been from. I had a seminar class and this stereotypical skinny, glasses wearing, nerdy kind of East Asian dude raised his hand to speak. Turned out he had one of the thickest Aussie accents I'd ever heard up to that point, it shook me to my very core. I'll never forget that day, the day I learned that Asians can be heaps Aussie.

I guess that's my story of treating Asians as perpetual foreigners, as a white dude. But it never shocked me to hear Asians with any sort of American accent prior to that and I don't think I ever treated Asians as outsiders in the USA, so I should have understood that ya'll can assimilate
lol forks
in other countries as well.

vern

Is that color banding in the sky from Flickr's compression or is my monitor dying again? :(

I don't have any color banding on my end so I guess it's one of those two options. Maybe. Or I'm blind and just don't see what you are seeing.

Edit: I was looking on mobile earlier and didn't see what you were talking about, now I'm on my computer and yeah, that must be some flickr compression or something. Just compared it to the original file and it's not there. Weird.

SRG01

I don't have any color banding on my end so I guess it's one of those two options. Maybe. Or I'm blind and just don't see what you are seeing.

Edit: I was looking on mobile earlier and didn't see what you were talking about, now I'm on my computer and yeah, that must be some flickr compression or something. Just compared it to the original file and it's not there. Weird.

Weird. I thought Flickr didn't have compression... I get the same thing when I upload things onto FB too.

500px is the only service I use that doesn't color band my photos... but no one really uses 500px :/

SystemBug

Weird. I thought Flickr didn't have compression... I get the same thing when I upload things onto FB too.

500px is the only service I use that doesn't color band my photos... but no one really uses 500px :/

haha i work near 500px. so tempted to go in, and be like hire me!

Just baked pineapple buns for the first time! (Ugly) success!

U7YalT2.jpg

vern

Anyone been to Laos? Thinking about heading down there tomorrow or the next day and just having a wander... I know literally zero about the place, except that in my hometown in California Laotians all made donuts.

Any particular food I should eat or places I should go? I would have maybe a week or so to hang out and wander around.

Thanks dude, I didn't post any in awhile though haha...

I was just in 'Straya again last year and took some snaps. Love that place. Whereabouts are you?

Love me some Queensland.

that's a very pretty shot, vern! i always love your photos aaaaaa

im in melbourne \o/

Llyranor

That Great Wall thread got me thinking. How do you guys feel about English-language period films in an Asian setting? I just can't take them seriously and automatically dismiss them. On the other hand, this doesn't help Asian-American actors that might get roles in such movies. Not that The Last Emperor winning multiple Oscars did anything for John Lone's career. I just want them to get a wider variety of opportunities in film instead, not just 'Asian film, but in English'.

That Great Wall thread got me thinking. How do you guys feel about English-language period films in an Asian setting? I just can't take them seriously and automatically dismiss them. On the other hand, this doesn't help Asian-American actors that might get roles in such movies. Not that The Last Emperor winning multiple Oscars did anything for John Lone's career. I just want them to get a wider variety of opportunities in film instead, not just 'Asian film, but in English'.
If I was watching anything historical, I'd want the langauge to reflect whatever is supposed to be spoken in that country. I would not want to watch a historical Spanish film in English, for example.

I'm fine with it, except for the white savior lead. Like, it's already in English; we don't need to have the story told through a white protagonist's perspective every time.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I would have preferred Chinese or something like that but the show seems clearly a Hollywood production aimed at westerners. Same with Netflix's Marco Polo. However, I really appreciate the language switch for such shows like Narcos and The Man in High Castle. Germans speak German, Japanese speak Japanese, and Colombian speak Spanish, even if sometimes they got some funny accent haha.

suzu

I'm fine with English. Just don't go super overboard if they decide to go with fake Asian accents.

Or do that thing where everyone speaks in British accents in every non-modern period movie. lol

SRG01

I'm fine with English. Just don't go super overboard if they decide to go with fake Asian accents.

Or do that thing where everyone speaks in British accents in every non-modern period movie. lol

Hahaha, or maybe something like Marco Polo where everyone speaks with a different English accent.

edit: I haven't watched Season 2 yet. Is it any good? I kind of lost interest by the last couple of episodes in S1...

I dunno about the thread but the video was a bit better than I thought based on the first few minutes. The underlying problem is that these tour groups with a lot of people pack way too many things to do in way too little time and often times don't explain regional etiquette properly. Basically tour groups are the worst ways to travel and this pretty much reinforced it.

Oh damn those look amazing. What's your recipe?

Hey sorry been super busy so I took some photos of the recipe instead! Sorry about the handwriting will eventually type up if you can't read it haha.

Gotta say though you have to keep kneading the dough mix until it goes dry and not sticky, which took about 2 hours by hand. The topping also took about an hour of kneading, also stops being sticky but will be oily like cookie mix which is normal. Worth keeping some flour on the side when kneading, I know I ended up adding a few handfuls for the topping!

Wow hit all the addiction centers of my brain perfectly.. I could never go back even if I wanted to.. Thank god that game came out after I graduated college.

mercviper

Hey sorry been super busy so I took some photos of the recipe instead! Sorry about the handwriting will eventually type up if you can't read it haha.

Gotta say though you have to keep kneading the dough mix until it goes dry and not sticky, which took about 2 hours by hand. The topping also took about an hour of kneading, also stops being sticky but will be oily like cookie mix which is normal. Worth keeping some flour on the side when kneading, I know I ended up adding a few handfuls for the topping!

Haha thanks! I'll have to set aside some day when I'm not busy with the house and make my own.

So my wife and I are finally going on our honeymoon for our 1 year anniversary. We are going to Bali (Seminayk and South Kuta) for 9 days with 3 day layovers before and after in Hong Kong. Does anyone have any suggestions of things we should do and/or palces we should see? We don't really have a strict itinerary and want to relax, but it's always good to get a few ideas down.

Currently our ideas are:
Hong Kong Disney
That Michellin starred Dim Sum place in HK
Temple Street Night Market in HK
Bali Food Tours (http://www.balifoodsafari.com/)
Maybe short trip to Macau to see the wife's distant relatives

Anyone have any Bali ideas?

robox

HK:

victoria peak - higher than the tallest skyscraper in hk
lamma island - quaint little island that's a far removed from the urban bustle
Ngong Ping 360 - cable car
ocean park - hk's original amusement park

macau:

portuguese egg tarts

HK:

victoria peak - higher than the tallest skyscraper in hk
lamma island - quaint little island that's a far removed from the urban bustle
Ngong Ping 360 - cable car
ocean park - hk's original amusement park

macau:

portuguese egg tarts

Watching sunset from Victoria Peak sounds like a good time.

Ngong Ping cable car ride to a monastery with a giant Buddha statue also seems cool.

I've heard iffy reviews of Hong Kong Disney, but since it might be our only chance for a while, I'd like to try it. Never heard of Ocean Park though and it seems interesting. Not sure we'd want to do two amusement parks.

The wife has mentioned Egg Tarts a lot.

Zoe

This Master Chef bibimbap episode is annoying me. Only guy who knew what it was didn't have to cook :lol

SRG01

Watching sunset from Victoria Peak sounds like a good time.

Ngong Ping cable car ride to a monastery with a giant Buddha statue also seems cool.

I've heard iffy reviews of Hong Kong Disney, but since it might be our only chance for a while, I'd like to try it. Never heard of Ocean Park though and it seems interesting. Not sure we'd want to do two amusement parks.

The wife has mentioned Egg Tarts a lot.

YES definitely have egg tarts!!

I went to HK Disney, and it was okay. Ocean Park is much, much better.

The giant Buddha statue may not be for everyone. While it is a tourist destination, it's primarily a 'holy' site...

Top Bottom