• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Also, I've been lurking both that Tinder thread and GirlGAF today because of it. It's interesting. Feels a lot like the same shit we do in this thread when there's another casual racism against Asians thread in OT.

Also, I've been lurking both that Tinder thread and GirlGAF today because of it. It's interesting. Feels a lot like the same shit we do in this thread when there's another casual racism against Asians thread in OT.

le gasp

you... you lurker!!!

/jk

yeah, feels quite similar, i agree

girlgaf is occasionally but frequently where girls bite our tongues so we dont appear 'threathening' or 'unpleasant' otherwise :x

I've been lurking on and off in that Tinder thread. Very interesting.

And yes, take out packaging does give it -30 appearance points lol.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I have unleashed the Tinder thread to GirlGAF lol. I just think a lot of guys seem to be in a state of shock that some girls wrote them off for superficial reason. Meanwhile, they've probably been doing that to girls since forever too. There is such an entitlement going on that it reminds me of entitlements I see from various races too. Very interesting and eye opening for me. Funny thing is, threads about height and stuff pops up in GAF every now and then. Everytime it does is like guaranteed thousands of posts because people get so upset about it lol

I have unleashed the Tinder thread to GirlGAF lol. I just think a lot of guys seem to be in a state of shock that some girls wrote them off for superficial reason. Meanwhile, they've probably been doing that to girls since forever too. There is such an entitlement going on that it reminds me of entitlements I see from various races too. Very interesting and eye opening for me. Funny thing is, threads about height and stuff pops up in GAF every now and then. Everytime it does is like guaranteed thousands of posts because people get so upset about it lol

The insecurity is real

Llyranor

Maybe it's just the Asian in me talking, but most of those 'short guys' in that thread are pretty tall, anyway. Then again, I've never really felt short, since by and large most girls are shorter than me anyway.

The superficial aspect of it is fine, we're all shallow to some extent in various ways. It's mostly those 'short guys go die' facebook/twitter posts that irk me. But then again, it's just the kind of vile internet comments you can read about any topic, so no need to let it get to me. I've never actually seen that kind of repulsive behavior in real-life, nor ever have it directed at me.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Oh, HI. I'am Nomad Sparks, I hail from the state of Missouri and as you can imagine, don't get a lot asians in small town Missouri. Just here to say hi and I want to shout out to backslash bunny, hey I really like you as a friend and what not

I hadn't a lot of asian friends in my life in childhood but there was a girl in vacouver who is very famous and i won't mention her screen name but she practically saved me from throwing myself over a goddamn overpass by letting me talk to her on Skype when I had worked at an awful factory. (Town's filled with those things.)

So it has come to my attention that chinese corporations buying Missouri farm land and using it has become a hot political issue in my part of Missouri because all of western media is so lazer focused on the rich chinese, not the poor chinese and what not. Let me tell you how fucking offensive that fuckawful ad is to me. I knew a foreign exchange chinese student by the name of Ken Ma in 5th grade and after that I never knew of what happened to him until I got a FB account and apparently he really loves STL and works there. Never met him. But he was cool to me in middle school.

Sorry for the rambling just need to read more into this thread.

Welcome - please post food pics. :D :p

Also, welcome fellow small town midwesterner asian (Central IL myself) - went to college in STL though.

As for the Tinder thread...people are people, and people are dumb, shallow, and judgmental. Everything else is just posturing to make yourself seem less of a dickwad one way or another. :p

Maybe it's just the Asian in me talking, but most of those 'short guys' in that thread are pretty tall, anyway. Then again, I've never really felt short, since by and large most girls are shorter than me anyway.

The superficial aspect of it is fine, we're all shallow to some extent in various ways. It's mostly those 'short guys go die' facebook/twitter posts that irk me. But then again, it's just the kind of vile internet comments you can read about any topic, so no need to let it get to me. I've never actually seen that kind of repulsive behavior in real-life, nor ever have it directed at me.

Cindi does have a point. Own your shit and your post definitely sounds like you did. Cow's link is also a good read. Women have more choices to pick from. For someone like me, there are possibly 10, 100s just like me but better looking and in a better situation in their life (also people who aren't Asian :p). That's just how it is. Also, the Hmong girls I have been around are generally shorter than me by a couple to a few inches.

Also, 5'7-5'11" is not short. Compared to the average, sure but compared to girls that is tall. I'm an inch shorter than the average women but I've learned to not give a fuck about it anymore. Those dudes who are 5'7-5'11" are way taller than the average women. I know that some girls would like it better if their choices are taller than them with heels on though.

I have never tried online dating at all. If I did, I'm sure it'll make me hate my life even more. I already have low self-esteem, I don't need more people to remind me of that. TYVM. I'll stick to friends and family member's introducing me to new people and building relationships with these new folks.

But what do I know, the average GAFfer is 6'2", toned and fit body, always knows how to dress, and walk around with a huge dong, flaccid.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It's funny. Just the other day, I saw this article that was titled like, "The US Women's Gymnastic Team Showcases America's Diversity," or something to that effect. The team consists of two black girls, one white girl, a black-Hispanic girl, and I think a girl of Middle Eastern descent. Great! What's missing?

There's a reason that the 2nd OT thread is currently tentatively titled "Asian-GAF 2: Schrodinger's Minority".

SRG01

Cindi does have a point. Own your shit and your post definitely sounds like you did. Cow's link is also a good read. Women have more choices to pick from. For someone like me, there are possibly 10, 100s just like me but better looking and in a better situation in their life (also people who aren't Asian :p). That's just how it is. Also, the Hmong girls I have been around are generally shorter than me by a couple to a few inches.

Also, 5'7-5'11" is not short. Compared to the average, sure but compared to girls that is tall. I'm an inch shorter than the average women but I've learned to not give a fuck about it anymore. Those dudes who are 5'7-5'11" are way taller than the average women. I know that some girls would like it better if their choices are taller than them with heels on though.

I have never tried online dating at all. If I did, I'm sure it'll make me hate my life even more. I already have low self-esteem, I don't need more people to remind me of that. TYVM. I'll stick to friends and family member's introducing me to new people and building relationships with these new folks.

But what do I know, the average GAFfer is 6'2", toned and fit body, always knows how to dress, and walk around with a huge dong, flaccid.

To add onto this: a lot of the dynamics behind dating, such as physical presence, attentive conversations, and so on, aren't present online. Even if I do get a good conversation going online, I've dated enough to know that the first in-person date could be drastically different.

In the end, dating is a lot more about discovering what you want rather than ticking boxes off a list. There is a bit of a grey area around certain 'specifics' like children and whatnot, but I firmly stand by my belief that no one truly knows what they want and to keep an open mind.

I myself am still working on the huge flaccid dong.

forever a work in process

To add onto this: a lot of the dynamics behind dating, such as physical presence, attentive conversations, and so on, aren't present online. Even if I do get a good conversation going online, I've dated enough to know that the first in-person date could be drastically different.

In the end, dating is a lot more about discovering what you want rather than ticking boxes off a list. There is a bit of a grey area around certain 'specifics' like children and whatnot, but I firmly stand by my belief that no one truly knows what they want and to keep an open mind.

I can agree with this. When you are there physically, things can change. People, in general, don't know what they want until it's too late. I know for sure when I'm older, I would like to get married and have kids but right now it's all just fun. I'll grow tired of it and settle down. But that's also not even a guaranteed certainty.

I myself am still working on the huge flaccid dong.

forever a work in process

You'll get there. We'll get there. Will you hang dong with cargo shorts though? That's the real question.

Hey all, planning a SEA trip later this year so I'd love some tips. Going for a wedding so I thought I'd check out some of the cities in the nearby as well.

My main destination is Phnom Penh but I want to check out Singapore and Kuala Lumpur as well. Expecting around 3 days in each city and main things I'm looking for are food and outdoors recommendations. I'd love to go hiking! I'll most likely be myself in KL and SG so I'm not sure what to expect.

1) Can I get by with just English?
2) Safety? Who/what/where should I avoid and when?
3) Hows the weather? I'll be there end of November.
4) Food cart + restaurant recommendations please!
5) Does it matter which order I visit the cities? My original plan is NYC > SG > KL > PP > NYC
6) Any other tips!

Hey all, planning a SEA trip later this year so I'd love some tips. Going for a wedding so I thought I'd check out some of the cities in the nearby as well.

My main destination is Phnom Penh but I want to check out Singapore and Kuala Lumpur as well. Expecting around 3 days in each city and main things I'm looking for are food and outdoors recommendations. I'd love to go hiking! I'll most likely be myself in KL and SG so I'm not sure what to expect.

5) Does it matter which order I visit the cities? My original plan is NYC > SG > KL > PP > NYC
6) Any other tips!

havent been to phnom penh but singapore and KL you can get by with just english. they are also pretty safe, unless you go to the weird parts of the city. weather is humid and warm. food is a lot of good stuff but last week there was news about a food stall in singapore that earned a single michelin star, might wanna check that out. queue is up to 2 hours though. if you like seafood, there is a beach area in singapore that does seafood specialty, including black pepper crab. donno about order of visit :>

dont forget your universal electric plug, so you can charge anywhere. singapore and kl is 220v and dont drink the tap water o/

good luck have fun :D

SRG01

havent been to phnom penh but singapore and KL you can get by with just english. they are also pretty safe, unless you go to the weird parts of the city. weather is humid and warm. food is a lot of good stuff but last week there was news about a food stall in singapore that earned a single michelin star, might wanna check that out. queue is up to 2 hours though. if you like seafood, there is a beach area in singapore that does seafood specialty, including black pepper crab. donno about order of visit :>

dont forget your universal electric plug, so you can charge anywhere. singapore and kl is 220v and dont drink the tap water o/

good luck have fun :D

Don't order ice either :D

robox

6) Any other tips!

know that KL is cheaaap and SG is not.
i went from KL to SG... prices are the same: 5rm and 5sd for a plate of noodles for example. but SD is worth 3x more than RM

for hiking, there's Taman Negara (just means national park) and Cameron Highlands, both a few hours from KL. i didn't manage to do either. there's KL Eco forest within the city itself which is a nice walk but not a real hike. My hikes in Malaysia have been outside in Penang and Langkawi.

You know, I don't come here enough. Howdy! :)

As it is a requirement and a ritual, we need food pics even if you've been in here before.

Curious..... How many of you folks go to the slaughter house, have parents that go to the slaughter house, or know people who go to the slaughter house? Is that too Asian? I've gone plenty of times but not lately. I feel like it's great and better in the long run for medium to large families. It saves money and you get to have plenty of meat for meals.

It might just be an SEA thing and people with a medium-large family.

BECAUSE U GUYS ARE SLACKING

here is some of my korean bbq

PxSYqHp.jpg

0rJpIPf.jpg

omnomnomnom

vern

6) Any other tips!

I'll throw in my two cents as well, though much has been covered. Note I haven't been to Cambodia but Ive been to the others.

1. Yes, no problem.
2. It's safe in kl and sg, the places to avoid I recommend actually going to. For example, geylang road. No one will rob you but they'll ask you if you want to see a whore or some other nefarious stuff, but it's fun! Sg is mostly a bland, clean, boring (but very nice!) city so find a day to see some colorful places. People watching in the alleyways at Geylang is great. Little India is fun too and very pretty.
3. Hot and humid.
4. Good food everywhere in both cities, look up the current best hawker places in Sg and go eat eat eat. KL has lots of great food all around, you can't really go wrong unless you eat mcdonalds or something.
5. Not sure why it would matter except Sg is most expensive so I guess go there first so you can afford it, or go there last and splurge with whatever you have left.
6. Meet a local in each place... Doesn't need to be dating or romance but there are lots of apps to meet people. It's best to have a guide and friend if possible. Maybe that's just me though, I like interacting with people.

Nature in SG there is a place called Bukit Timah Nature Reserve right In the middle of the city with rainforest and monkeys and lizards and hiking. It's quite nice, the hikes are easy though. Good for a half a day hike and then you'll probably wanna get back to the city. There is also a very nice botanic garden near the main shopping drag, Orchard Road I beleive it is called.

Sorry - lurker. I didn't mean anything against Asian men in that thread. Actually, I think Asian men are some of the few men who actually have legitimate grievance - especially with online dating - because society is so stacked against them in terms of positive representation, the stupid preconception that Asian men are "effeminate", or have small cocks. It's all bullshit but that's not going to stop the train of popular media and opinion. I think a lot of Asian men I know are quite attractive and most I know are taller than me. If I were single I'd totally consider dating an Asian man assuming he was okay with dating a barren black woman and we clicked. But then I also have hang ups when it comes to interracial dating because I worry I in some way am "fetishizing" them. I don't feel that way about Asian men, because I mean, I even posted a hot Korean guy in that thread, but it's definitely in the back of my mind. Also I think an Asian man wouldn't want to date a black woman to begin with so I don't put myself out there. In my opinion you'll be fine with online dating. Hold your head up high and ignore anyone who gives you shit for being you. I hope "short guys go die" is not what you got out of the thread.

Llyranor

Sorry - lurker. I didn't mean anything against Asian men in that thread. Actually, I think Asian men are some of the few men who actually have legitimate grievance - especially with online dating - because society is so stacked against them in terms of positive representation, the stupid preconception that Asian men are "effeminate", or have small cocks. It's all bullshit but that's not going to stop the train of popular media and opinion. I think a lot of Asian men I know are quite attractive and most I know are taller than me. If I were single I'd totally consider dating an Asian man assuming he was okay with dating a barren black woman and we clicked. But then I also have hang ups when it comes to interracial dating because I worry I in some way am "fetishizing" them. I don't feel that way about Asian men, because I mean, I even posted a hot Korean guy in that thread, but it's definitely in the back of my mind. Also I think an Asian man wouldn't want to date a black woman to begin with so I don't put myself out there. In my opinion you'll be fine with online dating. Hold your head up high and ignore anyone who gives you shit for being you. I hope "short guys go die" is not what you got out of the thread.
Oh, I actually agree with a lot of what you say in that thread, even if blunter than most. I was referring to those pics a few people posted from fb/twitter where it was just a massive dehumanizing pile-on for short guys.

Ahhh shit. I forgot about you guys and girls. We went up to a cabin this past weekend. About 12 adults and plenty of kids. We uh..... We bought 4-5 big bottles of liquor, Whiskey and Rum, and unsurprisingly we all finished them before sunday. We had mixers but not too many and instead we relied on shots. Woke up, shots and drink, got on the pontoon and took shots. Cooked and grilling - shots and beer.

Her boyfriend is white and when we got up there..... No Asian stuff at all lol. Luckily we still had another group coming saturday morning so they brought the Asian stuff. Had lasagna friday night. Saturday morning and night we had spring rolls, pho, steaks, and salmon heads.

We were all like, "shit we were too busy packing clothes for the kids and ourselves that we forgot to bring veggies, seasonings, peppers, and everything else!" I opened the fridge and it was so barebones lmao. Some water and pop and maybe some eggs?

Also took photos but they were on the pontoon and nothing food-wise or drink-wise. Sorry y'all, I was too busy getting drunk and fishing to take photos. I know we've been lacking lately but DON'T KILL ME!!!

SystemBug

I'm south asian and i am totally down with dating black women. but i know i don't speak for all of them because of the stigma that does exist and why it does i have no clue. but i fight it within my family and i call people straight up racist if they bring up "i like women, but i dont like black women" card cause thats just horse shit.

as far as fetishizing a race, I don't know if it really works like that. one of my friends was telling me how her white room mate will only date black or arab men and that feels more like fetishizing to me. i actually felt really sick after hearing that and i kinda left. because my crew is mostly that and it just felt strange how somebody would just treat them as sex objects.

Ahhh shit. I forgot about you guys and girls. We went up to a cabin this past weekend. About 12 adults and plenty of kids. We uh..... We bought 4-5 big bottles of liquor, Whiskey and Rum, and unsurprisingly we all finished them before sunday. We had mixers but not too many and instead we relied on shots. Woke up, shots and drink, got on the pontoon and took shots. Cooked and grilling - shots and beer.

Her boyfriend is white and when we got up there..... No Asian stuff at all lol. Luckily we still had another group coming saturday morning so they brought the Asian stuff. Had lasagna friday night. Saturday morning and night we had spring rolls, pho, steaks, and salmon heads.

We were all like, "shit we were too busy packing clothes for the kids and ourselves that we forgot to bring veggies, seasonings, peppers, and everything else!" I opened the fridge and it was so barebones lmao. Some water and pop and maybe some eggs?

Also took photos but they were on the pontoon and nothing food-wise or drink-wise. Sorry y'all, I was too busy getting drunk and fishing to take photos. I know we've been lacking lately but DON'T KILL ME!!!

>:O

u is ded soon, son
XD glad you had an interesting and very drunk trip \o/

I could probably post an entire novel about my dating experiences online. I'm a 5'6 Korean-American dude, so according to all the metrics from dating websites, I had things stacked against me. Granted, I got out before Tinder hit it big but basically did all the others; Match, okcupid, POF, eHarmony, etc.

Having said that, I actually had a great deal of luck with my online experience. I met my wife on there. She's Chinese-American but I definitely dated all sorts of cultural backgrounds from online and not-online. Sure, there's radio silence on a lot of responses and so forth, but having gotten information from several female friends the other side of things (i.e. receiving end of things) it's to be expected.

If anything, it was an eye-opening experience to see how prevalent implicit racism is in virtually everyone I communicated with, to some extent or another.

Ramen will never be a struggle meal for me, even with instant ramen. It's so easy to add toppings... Egg, veggies, fish tofu, you name it.
I have carnitas that I'm picking away at, and I kept the jus. Makes for awesome ramen broth.

Usually I just make yakisoba, tho.

Here. This is my dinner for tonight. Minced green onions and cilantro. Diced pork. Veggie oil with minced garlic. Then chopped up peppers. Mixed in some pork stirfry seasoning and some msg.

vqPEUGe.jpg

Top Bottom