• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Notice the huge cucumber in the background. Yes, we have plenty to make cucumber papaya salad. If you've never heard of it it's basically the cucumber version of a papaya salad. Tons of pepper, not too much salt/msg, and the liquid can be a mixture of a lot of lime and fish sauce or minimal fish sauce but a lot of lime. Sometimes you can add in garlic to bring out the smell and taste more but I don't put too much because the smell and taste can get real funky.

That's just one way of making it. You can make it the traditional way also. Essentially you can substitute a lot to make a papaya salad. I've had carrot and cabbage salads before and they are wonderful. Love papaya salad and it's variety of ways to make it.

Happy Friday (tomorrow =( )!

Facebook is reminding me that, 3 years ago, I made ramen burgers.

Also, apparently this Sunday is Go Topless Day. o_O

Woah, just in time for The Strain :D

Also it's not Friday for us yet but still, Happy Friday. It's thirsty Thursday and I am indeed thirsty for some alcohol.

y'all living in the past :O

woah ramen burger~ septie still makes them? :D

and i love papaya salad, omg. they are so delicious~ and flavoursome <3

I don't. It wasn't very good. I thought I messed it up, but I had one at an actual ramenya, and it was equally disappointing.

Maybe I should put peanut butter in it?

Nudull

Banned
I want to try a ramen burger. :eek:

Tomorrow, I'm going to a Japanese garden festival with a date. I'm really excited about it! :) Also, as my (late) food contribution, my attempt at pancake muffins;
PTHYlVT.jpg

nukedeggs

Man I had a ramen burger once, it was good. The main appeal for me was that it kinda becomes all noodly at the end once the beef juice (idk what it's called) and the sauce kinda goes into the noodle bun so by the end you're slurping up these great beefy saucy noodles. Man now I'm hungry.

SRG01

Speaking of food, my grocery bills are obscene this year. Falling Canadian dollar plus the continually increasing price of meats is making my budget trendlines go up and up.

Oh, and eating out is now super expensive too.

MikeMyers

Went to an art museum in Chiacgo and they had a lot of cool Japanese stuff there. Will try to share them when I get back from my flight.

I think those cost, like, $3 a bottle around me. How much was it?
I think it was $2.29 or something, but yeah, it wasn't cheap. I got it to try it, though, but I doubt I would get it again, despite its claims of magical fulvic trace minerals.

Then again, it was Whole Foods, so I don't think they had much cheaper stuff.

I love OT sometimes. The Stripper thread has got to be one of the most NeoGAF thread on NeoGAF in a while since we've had the iPad Dick Pic thread.

@nunu, wow pancake muffins : D

@septie, yeah, i've tried that! they sell well here in australia, for whatever reasons. i kinda like the bottle design but the water's just water... :3

FOOD > all

and now i will go check out this stripper's thread o___o

HAPPY WEEKEND, Y'ALL~

@nunu, wow pancake muffins : D

@septie, yeah, i've tried that! they sell well here in australia, for whatever reasons. i kinda like the bottle design but the water's just water... :3

FOOD > all

and now i will go check out this stripper's thread o___o

HAPPY WEEKEND, Y'ALL~
It's not quite weekend yet. Almost.

I also heard on a podcast that they don't sell waffle fries in Australia.

I'm having a diacussion with one of my best friend's about Asian American differences betweeen Black Americans and uh.... It's going according to keikakku.

Dudes just do not like Black Americans. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why they don't like Black folks. Their excuse? There are "niggers" and there are black people -_- Like.... What are y'all talking about?!?!

I'm just so mad at my friends right now.

Halp GAF. It's hard enough to make new friends when you are in your mid-20s. How am I supposed to help them?!

I have a feeling they refer to "niggers" as ghetto/ratchet people but they can't form what they are talking about.

I'm having a diacussion with one of my best friend's about Asian American differences betweeen Black Americans and uh.... It's going according to keikakku.

Dudes just do not like Black Americans. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why they don't like Black folks. Their excuse? There are "niggers" and there are black people -_- Like.... What are y'all talking about?!?!

I'm just so mad at my friends right now.

Halp GAF. It's hard enough to make new friends when you are in your mid-20s. How am I supposed to help them?!

I have a feeling they refer to "niggers" as ghetto/ratchet people but they can't form what they are talking about.

I hate it when people use that Chris Rock bit as shorthand explanation for their racist stances.

I hate it when people use that Chris Rock bit as shorthand explanation for their racist stances.

It's annoying. Just say you don't like black people. People are so afraid of being labeled a racist. I just want them to say it so that I can get them out of my life. Don't need friends like that in my life.

To think you know some people and they come out and say disgusting stuff like that...

There was a women claiming to be much older than the record as well a few years ago, came up false. I doubt he is 140 that is insane, but if he is, don't let the Chinese have him, they'd dust him up for some billionaire as an anti age powder
From the thread about the guy who's 145. What the fuck.

I am not good with names but this was delicious!
CY6g7Cf.jpg

Some form of a salad and the meat had a similar texture to meatloaf.

We didn't eat too much because of high fats and high grease. We just gorged on fries and alcohol.

U5HY2lC.jpg

First Moscow Mule and it was delicious. I didn't get the chance to eat earlier and when I finished that.... I was buzzing lol.

I might head back to it this weekend but I might have things to do. We did buy some Masubi, which was new at the Fair, but I didn't want any. I was still hungover and I didn't feel like eating anything but fries :p

I honestly love our State Fair. It's huge and the variety of foods available is awesome (that is if your stomach can handle the greasier and fattier foods). The rides are decent, the music (if you like country) is good, the people are Minnesota Nice (tm), and the weather is beautiful. Granted the day we went it was sprinkling but it wasn't OMG rain.

I uh... I would definitely recommend drinking before hand if you want liquor. We don't offer any liquor but we do have plenty of beer and they are about $1-3 more than the average at a bar or restaurant.

havent been to phnom penh but singapore and KL you can get by with just english. they are also pretty safe, unless you go to the weird parts of the city. weather is humid and warm. food is a lot of good stuff but last week there was news about a food stall in singapore that earned a single michelin star, might wanna check that out. queue is up to 2 hours though. if you like seafood, there is a beach area in singapore that does seafood specialty, including black pepper crab. donno about order of visit :>

dont forget your universal electric plug, so you can charge anywhere. singapore and kl is 220v and dont drink the tap water o/

good luck have fun :D

know that KL is cheaaap and SG is not.
i went from KL to SG... prices are the same: 5rm and 5sd for a plate of noodles for example. but SD is worth 3x more than RM

for hiking, there's Taman Negara (just means national park) and Cameron Highlands, both a few hours from KL. i didn't manage to do either. there's KL Eco forest within the city itself which is a nice walk but not a real hike. My hikes in Malaysia have been outside in Penang and Langkawi.

I'll throw in my two cents as well, though much has been covered. Note I haven't been to Cambodia but Ive been to the others.

1. Yes, no problem.
2. It's safe in kl and sg, the places to avoid I recommend actually going to. For example, geylang road. No one will rob you but they'll ask you if you want to see a whore or some other nefarious stuff, but it's fun! Sg is mostly a bland, clean, boring (but very nice!) city so find a day to see some colorful places. People watching in the alleyways at Geylang is great. Little India is fun too and very pretty.
3. Hot and humid.
4. Good food everywhere in both cities, look up the current best hawker places in Sg and go eat eat eat. KL has lots of great food all around, you can't really go wrong unless you eat mcdonalds or something.
5. Not sure why it would matter except Sg is most expensive so I guess go there first so you can afford it, or go there last and splurge with whatever you have left.
6. Meet a local in each place... Doesn't need to be dating or romance but there are lots of apps to meet people. It's best to have a guide and friend if possible. Maybe that's just me though, I like interacting with people.

Nature in SG there is a place called Bukit Timah Nature Reserve right In the middle of the city with rainforest and monkeys and lizards and hiking. It's quite nice, the hikes are easy though. Good for a half a day hike and then you'll probably wanna get back to the city. There is also a very nice botanic garden near the main shopping drag, Orchard Road I beleive it is called.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

For SG I'm planning on doing the Southern Ridges, Treetop Walk at MacRitchie Park and Bukit Timah in addition to the typical stuff like the Gardens and the Cloud Forest. Gonna check out that Michelin star stall as well.

For KL and Malaysia in general...I think I'm gonna stay an extra few days. I spent some time researching and I wish I took an entire 2 weeks off to explore Malaysia. Definitely making my way out to Cameron Highlands and Taman Negara, possibly to Malacca as well so I need to research some tours and transportation to get me in and out of KL.

I wont be able to visit East Malaysia this trip but I'll absolutely be back next year for it and Indonesia. Those mountains are calling me @_@

For Cambodia, I'll visit Angkor Wat and other temples in between friend obligations. I think I'll be at Siem Reap instead.

Whats a good way to meet locals in both KL and SG? I'd love to make some new friends while I'm out there. I was thinking of hitting up some of the co working spaces and meeting some people that work in tech.

AHHHH IM SO EXCITED

Usobuko

Banned
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

For SG I'm planning on doing the Southern Ridges, Treetop Walk at MacRitchie Park and Bukit Timah in addition to the typical stuff like the Gardens and the Cloud Forest. Gonna check out that Michelin star stall as well.

Prepare for some crazy line behind Michelin hawker stall, try to beat lunch crowd ( 11.30 am - 2 pm ) if you don't wanna wait like 2 hours for the food.

Yes, you can get by with just English and Singapore is probably one of the safest country in the world.

I like Geylang Lor 29 Hokkien Mee and Hill Street Char Kway Teow but only the former is within walking distance to outdoor attraction ( East Coast Park ).

Prepare for some crazy line behind Michelin hawker stall, try to beat lunch crowd ( 11.30 am - 2 pm ) if you don't wanna wait like 2 hours for the food.

Yes, you can get by with just English and Singapore is probably one of the safest country in the world.

I like Geylang Lor 29 Hokkien Mee and Hill Street Char Kway Teow but only the former is within walking distance to outdoor attraction ( East Coast Park ).

Yeah I heard its insane. I'll try to get there early and just have brunch, but I dont mind waiting for some time if I need to. I dont really get the opportunity to try Michelin rated cuisine very often :p

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check those places out as well.

Several people here have already found it, but going to leave this here anyway: Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight From an Asian Ethnoburb

It's a good article, but the usual GAF behavior/commentary about Asians can be expected.

Thread is shit now.

Asians are insular and racist..... I mean just look at the Cantonese language... They call white and black people ghosts....

There are days where I'm tempted just start a neogaf thread asking why it's ok to post racist remarks here against Asians..

Asians are insular and racist..... I mean just look at the Cantonese language... They call white and black people ghosts....

There are days where I'm tempted just start a neogaf thread asking why it's ok to post racist remarks here against Asians..
I swear I've seen that thread before. The answer was, "It's not racist."

Impossible. I know plenty of Asians who hate black, white, brown folks. My girlfriend is also Korean/Hmong/Mongolian and she says it's not racist.

That hurt just to typed it lol. That post about white ghosts and black ghosts. Yeezus Fucking Christ. It's not like every language has their own terms for poc -_-"

Tripon

Has anyone ever got dim sum in Vegas? I'm going next month and I'm researching a bunch of places that seem hit or miss so far.
It's okay. There was a place in Las Vegas Chinatown that I remember being good. And the dim sum served in the buffets were decent but obviously not the reason to go for it. Just go in with low expectations and you will be fine.

Poke from Tanioka's and Pipikaula/Poke from Foodland. Best beer food.

Onion Limu Poke Bowl.

20160905_113054_zpsdi3gvkmm.jpg

Korean Clams and Spicy Marlin
20160905_113308_zpsto2y7zgk.jpg

Pipikaula and Shoyu Onion Ahi Poke

image_IMG_190659_1473111934008_zpsl92ndkz5.jpg

Zoe

Gaf has a very big double-standard when it comes to racism. It's fucked up.

EDIT: Damn that poke looks good. Now I want spam.

Apparently there's a poke place here now, next to Austin Karaoke. I'm pretty sure I saw spam musubi on the menu as well.

Top Bottom