• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

vern

In these past few years I've been more and more tolerable to Quail Eggs. It's not for everybody but it is very tasty in Ka Poon (btw, that's what my mom and older sister just made!). I've been dying for some Ka Poon lately and I'm hungover. Any broth will do. It'll help cure my hangover lol.

Quail eggs are the shit! Love em. I eat everthing though. Got major runs last three days in Nepal. Was dying on the plane just now. Hoping some nice Thai food and a few days in Bangkok clears me up. 😂

Quail eggs are the shit! Love em. I eat everthing though. Got major runs last three days in Nepal. Was dying on the plane just now. Hoping some nice Thai food and a few days in Bangkok clears me up. 😂

How do you like to eat them? I've never tried them besides boiled in Ka Poon broth 😄

ahdurian

Welcome, welcome. Please provide us with food pics as it is the requirement here. Otherwise, welcome and enjoy yourself ^_^

does it have to be food I cooked or something? because if not, i had this today
13710581_10154322970256870_7040055871980832469_o.jpg

One of my friends had a spring roll making luncheon. I managed to escape my office for four hours a few Sundays ago to attend. It was delicious.

I've been working 90 hrs/week (okay, just the past two weeks), but I've been in my office every day for the past month. QQ. I pretty much live in my cubicle, sobbing on top of my tax returns, wondering how I'm so retarded.

So how have y'all been :D. Update me!

RETURN OF THE BUNNY <33333333333333

poor overworked bunny :<

i've been doing well :>

Why is it so weird for white folks to see Asians drinking? We were Pokemon hunting in downtown STP and we went to a hotel bar and took some shots. The white folks around us were just astounded that Asians can down shots. Then the cleaning guy, who was also Asian, looked at us and said, "woah! Done already?!"

It's just a weird thing I've noticed lately haha. Is there a stereotype that Asians don't drink or something?

Also, welcome back bunny.

Moonkid

Wbwb Bunny c: I've been having pretty awful eczema which has lead me to my local herbal medicine practioner, a real character lol.

One of my friends had a spring roll making luncheon. I managed to escape my office for four hours a few Sundays ago to attend. It was delicious.

I've been working 90 hrs/week (okay, just the past two weeks), but I've been in my office every day for the past month. QQ. I pretty much live in my cubicle, sobbing on top of my tax returns, wondering how I'm so retarded.

So how have y'all been :D. Update me!

I googled overworked bunny and got this.

giphy.gif

Why is it so weird for white folks to see Asians drinking? We were Pokemon hunting in downtown STP and we went to a hotel bar and took some shots. The white folks around us were just astounded that Asians can down shots. Then the cleaning guy, who was also Asian, looked at us and said, "woah! Done already?!"

It's just a weird thing I've noticed lately haha. Is there a stereotype that Asians don't drink or something?

Stereotype is that Asians are super lightweights

Zoe

Many Asians genetically lack the enzymes to break down alcohol. It's why a person will turn red after just one drink.

Stereotype is that Asians are super lightweights

Damn. Well that sucks. I personally know alot of people who can drink drink. Just constant chugging beers and taking shots non-stop but that's not true for all Asians. I wonder if it's based on location. Wanna see the breakdown between different parts of Asia. Brb.

Edit: huh..... Based on wiki and some random sites, Koreans are crazy lol. Soju is not to be fucked with though. Asian countries and Asia as a whole falls behind the US but Asians sure love their spirits especially SE Asians and South Asians. Not surprised that I like my spirits more than my beers. How well does that translate to higher consumption, they don't know. What they do know is that Spirits are more, on average, consumed across Asia and the Eastern Europe regions. 'Muricans sure do love their beers though.

ahdurian

its probably because Asians have smaller frames, so people think we're generally lightweights
i personally can do like 8 pints and im good. i've also done about 10 tequila shots in the span of 15-20mins and been fine that night/next day

then again, i know people who have half a bottle of beer and are completely done

its probably because Asians have smaller frames, so people think we're generally lightweights
i personally can do like 8 pints and im good. i've also done about 10 tequila shots in the span of 15-20mins and been fine that night/next day

then again, i know people who have half a bottle of beer and are completely done

I'm a small guy but I do have my days. Last night wasn't one of them :( and it was my friend's bday party too. I had about 2-3 4.2 beers, a couple of shots of Jameson and I was done. Not drunk but my body shut down and couldn't take it anymore. I just hate it when that happens because it makes me feel like I let my friends down and myself down. They were all so happy to want to drink with me and my body just goes and..... But they understand it and I do too. I can't force my body to drink something it is refusing to.

Then I have my nights where I just kick it with my friends and just slamming beers left and right, nights where I can take 5-10 shots of Jameson and a few beers, and nights where I just want to be left alone with my spirits and I finish a liter of Jameson (or whatever I can get my hands on) in over an hour or two.

Edit: I'm a weird drunk. I always tell people that I get really loud or really quiet. There is no in-between just maximum left or right :'D But here's the trick - I'm always a quiet dude. So it's hard for people to tell if I am drunk or nah lol.

nukedeggs

Wow for reals? I wasn't aware of that being a stereotype either. I knew about 'Asian glow', but not so much 'Asians not drinking at all'. But man, 'not drinking' really fits in to the 'model minority' stereotype of being well-behaved and quiet. It's probably a really easy stereotype to pair with that too.

I really don't get it though because I feel like there's a strong drinking culture in a lot of Asian countries, like Japan and Korea and such. I don't think there's any one country in particular without it...like my grandparents really like their baijiu haha.

suzu

I don't know about the not drinking thing, since most Asians I know drink. No distinction between ones born in the west or Asia. lol

"Asian glow" is legit, but I think it mostly occurs in East Asians?

I turn into a tomato with one drink, but I won't actually be tipsy or anything like that.

While googling and looking at wikipedia, they don't keep track of binging. They keep track of what is consumed the most. In most Asian countries, Asians drink spirits more than the rest of the world besides East Europe.

Most consumed alcoholic beverages in terms of litres of pure alcohol, which do not necessarily reflect that the overall level of consumption of this alcoholic beverage is high. For example in India, spirits are the most consumed alcoholic beverages, but this does not mean that the consumption level of spirits is high, but that the proportion of total alcohol consumed in the form of spirits is high.
- chartsbin.com

Drinking seems more like a way of life in most Asian cultures and they don't seem to binge on it compared to other cultures. More of a way to preserve life. Moderation is key. Koreans, from another site, tend to binge more compared to other Asians. With more people binging until they pass out at the bars and clubs. The work culture forces them to drink in excessive, supposedly.

Asian glow or Alcohol Flush Reaction, tends to happen more for East Asians although it does appear for almost all Asians (tends to occur less for Thai and Indian folks). I think I get AFR? I do know it tends to happen when I drink Coors though.

Edit:
I don't know about the not drinking thing, since most Asians I know drink. No distinction between ones born in the west or Asia. lol

I think for some people when they say drink they mean drink drink. Like, "bro let's get fucking wasted downtown and hit on random chicks!" Or, "chug chug chug chug!" At least that's what I think they mean in the great 'ole 'murica.

We here in MN, Hmong people refer to it as:

Are you a casual or nah?

Casual = let me drink at my own pace and don't force me to drink with y'all. Hmong folks love to binge drink btw (I don't anymore). It's also a demeaning term for people. People be drinking casually and you'd hear people go, "man.... Those guys are so weak drinking casually and shit. *chugs a cup full of beer and passes it to the next person*"

I got the enzyme...Thanks mom!. It's always strange when white people think Asians don't drink. I grew up in a household where my dad drank constantly back in his heyday (Chinese business man) and all my uncles and aunts were the same way.

ahdurian

white people just need to go to Asia more

you'd literally be drinking every night. bottles of soju/beer all night long with coworkers/friends

Breakfast today was yaki onigiri (filled with leftover short rib). Was in a rush for work so I didn't get to take pictures, but I'll take pictures next time! Shit was delicious.

I'm Korean, and get really flushed. When I was younger, I would get flush but not actually get drunk until several more drinks in.

Now in my mid-30's, I get muscle aches, and it can actually case restless legs syndrome, and actually start getting nauseous way before anything else. I usually will drink maybe a beer, or a scotch in the evening slowly, but my days of binging are over.

A ton of my Korean friends go whole hog though. It's absolutely nuts. But South Korea's holding down as the highest alcohol consumers in the world. Represent.

ahdurian

I'm Korean/Filipino, so both of my sides say I should party hard
can't do that anymore either. well...not that I can't, but that I choose not to anymore. after going to Korea for a week an literally drinking every night, it kinda ruined it for me lol

I can't believe that thread about visiting North Korea, jesus christ.

The actual OP didn't get me super upset, but as someone who still has a good number of extended family in the North, know a good number of people in Liberty in North Korea (LiNK) and know some people that have personally risked their lives to go in and come back out, some of the comments are just making me mad as shit.

I'm not commenting in that thread since I'm pretty sure it'd result in my ban pretty quickly.

ahdurian

My pastor is actually being held in North Korea

Every year our church would do a "missions" trip over there. Mainly it is to help out the school that we help fund there, and teach adult/kids things like mathematics or help out with technology or English lessons. My mom actually went on one of these trips herself, and came back and told me all kinds of stories of the people there.

Not sure how many of you would actually "agree" with the idea of going over to NK to do that kind of stuff, but I honestly respect the man for doing this kind of humanitarian work for close to 20 years of his life. Dedicating yourself to teaching people around you in a safe community is one thing, but to do that in a place where you life could be put in danger? damn son

SRG01

So... how does one go about explaining the concept of an Asian ethnic minority? I'm at least one-quarter Tanka -- or perhaps one-half, I'm not exactly sure if my paternal grandfather is Han, though we can trace the lineage back to around Guangzhou -- but people raise eyebrows when I say I'm part Chinese-aborigine...

Moonkid

The actual OP didn't get me super upset, but as someone who still has a good number of extended family in the North, know a good number of people in Liberty in North Korea (LiNK) and know some people that have personally risked their lives to go in and come back out, some of the comments are just making me mad as shit.

I'm not commenting in that thread since I'm pretty sure it'd result in my ban pretty quickly.
The OP raised a few eyebrows but it was their follow-up responses which struck a nerve with me. Not to mention the people patting them on the back for going! Some things you shouldn't do just because you can.

vern

How do you like to eat them? I've never tried them besides boiled in Ka Poon broth &#128516;

In China I like them in my malatang or hotpot hard boiled, also on the street you can get them friend and mixed with these dough ball things cooked in what's pretty much a waffle iron. Thailand they put them on little crepe things sometimes... Lots of ways I guess, always good.

With regards to drinking, Koreans drink like mad men. Go eat dinner at any restaurant in Korea and you are likely to see a bunch of shitfaced Koreans. In China I'd say the northerners and especially in Dongbei people drink a ton. Even the girls up there get hammered all the time, whereas down south you get more people (and again girls) saying that they don't drink or can't because of "allergy." Whenever I'm up in Dongbei I get drank completely under the table by skinny Chinese girls. I end up spewing and they are fine somehow. Sucks...

Honolulu felt like Japan with all the Japanese signage and Japanese speakers everywhere. I believe the airport also made announcements in Japanese as well. It was pretty cool.

mercviper

It's been a while since I made a food pic tribute.

Homemade bacon mashed potatoes with gravy from the drippings, with ribeye steaks from the grill. Yum. Missing some chives but that's cuz I forgot to buy them, so next time.

It's been a while since I made a food pic tribute.

Homemade bacon mashed potatoes with gravy from the drippings, with ribeye steaks from the grill. Yum. Missing some chives but that's cuz I forgot to buy them, so next time.

wow :> very steak!

how big was that? looks like 450g?

Top Bottom