• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Got a little carried away, they finally restocked this flavor.

pokDNew.jpg

I have to get this off my chest.

What is up with people who generalize a whole fucking ethnicity based on one person? I was at the mall today with my mom, and there were three teenagers in front of us in Forever 21. My mom doesn't notice that they're together, and cuts in front of two of them (the other one is in front of my mom), and they look incredulous for a second (I was behind all of them when this happened). When my mom walks away, still not realizing she cut in front of them, the two guys start laughing and talking about "Chinese people don't know how to..." (couldn't hear the rest). And I was just thinking, what the fuck? How can you laugh at every single Chinese person in the world because a single woman didn't notice two people? Sometimes I hate living in a heterogeneous society because of these kinds of fuckers. All my life I never felt like I belonged in Canada because I always feel contempt from people of other ethnicities. I know there are kind people, and I've met a couple of them, but it just doesn't make up for how upset I get when these things happen. Sometimes I get so tired of this place and want to go back to Hong Kong, where I don't get laughed at for the colour of my skin, the size of my eyes, and the flatness of my body, but I can't even do that now because I don't belong there either; my Cantonese is only good for casual conversation and my literary skills are atrocious.

It might seem like I'm overreacting to some offhand comment, but I've had it with all the contempt I've felt all my life living in this so-called multicultural society.

What is up with people who generalize a whole fucking ethnicity based on one person? I was at the mall today with my mom, and there were three teenagers in front of us in Forever 21. My mom doesn't notice that they're together, and cuts in front of two of them (the other one is in front of my mom), and they look incredulous for a second (I was behind all of them when this happened). When my mom walks away, still not realizing she cut in front of them, the two guys start laughing and talking about "Chinese people don't know how to..." (couldn't hear the rest). And I was just thinking, what the fuck? How can you laugh at every single Chinese person in the world because a single woman didn't notice two people? Sometimes I hate living in a heterogeneous society because of these kinds of fuckers. All my life I never felt like I belonged in Canada because I always feel contempt from people of other ethnicities. I know there are kind people, and I've met a couple of them, but it just doesn't make up for how upset I get when these things happen. Sometimes I get so tired of this place and want to go back to Hong Kong, where I don't get laughed at for the colour of my skin, the size of my eyes, and the flatness of my body, but I can't even do that now because I don't belong there either; my Cantonese is only good for casual conversation and my literary skills are atrocious.

It might seem like I'm overreacting to some offhand comment, but I've had it with all the contempt I've felt all my life living in this so-called multicultural society.

Sorry to hear about that story. Where in Canada do you live? I'm another Canadian here who also gets tired of being here. I'm a mix of ethno-racial groups(First Nations, European, and Chinese), so I wouldn't really be able to integrate anywhere else.

Experiencing racism just once can be pretty traumatic, which is why even if there are just a few instances, they feel like some too many. It's gotten better for me since I moved to Vancouver, but I can still even see passive aggressive racism against other peoples. It really is shitty how every action a person can make, justifies treating whole ethnicity like they don;t belong based on that.

clav

Everywhere.

http://youtu.be/RovF1zsDoeM

Sorry to hear about that story. Where in Canada do you live? I'm another Canadian here who also gets tired of being here. I'm a mix of ethno-racial groups(First Nations, European, and Chinese), so I wouldn't really be able to integrate anywhere else.

Experiencing racism just once can be pretty traumatic, which is why even if there are just a few instances, they feel like some too many. It's gotten better for me since I moved to Vancouver, but I can still even see passive aggressive racism against other peoples. It really is shitty how every action a person can make, justifies treating whole ethnicity like they don;t belong based on that.
I thought that people of mixed ethnicity might have it better, since it's hard to insult someone who belongs in so many groups, but I guess it's rough for you too. I live in Markham, so the GTA, where there's a BUNCH of Chinese people. I guess people of other ethnicities get tired of us when we do stuff that's not acceptable, since we're the majority. I actually feel better when I'm at my university, where most people are non-Chinese, because then they don't care about me. When my ethnicity becomes the majority, suddenly I feel like I'm being scrutinized because others feel uncomfortable with being the minority. Passive-aggressive racism is terrible, though I've been told straight to go back to China before too. Sucks either way, really. I know Vancouver has a large Asian population, so I'm glad things are working better for you there. Hopefully over the years people will start accepting that we're not just this group of "others", but real living beings with feelings and are capable of being hurt too.

mdubs

Banned
I thought that people of mixed ethnicity might have it better, since it's hard to insult someone who belongs in so many groups, but I guess it's rough for you too. I live in Markham, so the GTA, where there's a BUNCH of Chinese people. I guess people of other ethnicities get tired of us when we do stuff that's not acceptable, since we're the majority. I actually feel better when I'm at my university, where most people are non-Chinese, because then they don't care about me. When my ethnicity becomes the majority, suddenly I feel like I'm being scrutinized because others feel uncomfortable with being the minority. Passive-aggressive racism is terrible, though I've been told straight to go back to China before too. Sucks either way, really. I know Vancouver has a large Asian population, so I'm glad things are working better for you there. Hopefully over the years people will start accepting that we're not just this group of "others", but real living beings with feelings and are capable of being hurt too.

I think you are correct, it's simply people being uncomfortable with Chinese people being the majority. They'll just have to deal at any rate, remember that they are the ones with the problem, not you. If anything university makes me appreciate the population of Markham more, I generally feel like I enjoy being around a large Chinese population in Markham than in the more diverse populations of other parts of Toronto. People just act better in general here in my opinion.

I think you are correct, it's simply people being uncomfortable with Chinese people being the majority. They'll just have to deal at any rate, remember that they are the ones with the problem, not you. If anything university makes me appreciate the population of Markham more, I generally feel like I enjoy being around a large Chinese population in Markham than in the more diverse populations of other parts of Toronto. People just act better in general here in my opinion.
Thanks. :) Feeling a bit better now after giving it some time. It definitely feels nice when you're with people you can identify with. No one really bats an eye at you when you're the same as them.

mdubs

Banned
Thanks. :) Feeling a bit better now after giving it some time. It definitely feels nice when you're with people you can identify with. No one really bats an eye at you when you're the same as them.

I agree, I can definitely see that with a lot of my friends. However being mixed but looking completely white, I don't fit in with the Chinese community of Markham, however I view the demographics here as a positive regardless, I feel like our population is full of good people compared to other parts of the GTA.

robox

on a lighter note, i want one of these for my next trip
248JI6c.png

greatest bag ever.
brought scores of industrious chinese immigrants to liberty and opportunity

I think part of the reason for that is that quite a few Chinese people have done it. Of course it's definitely not right to generalize. I'm just saying generalizations don't magically come out of nowhere. I'm very environmental minded, but you don't see people generalizing Chinese for being environmental minded just cause of me. Best we can do is ignore it and work on bettering ourselves. There's no point in over thinking it, and maybe try to use some of the negativity to improve.

suzu

I know for a fact that my next door neighbors dislike my family because we're Asians. They've made little comments here and there for years. "Chinese people always do this and that." They even complained that we had too many cars apparently. Like, what the fuck? lol.
They're also minorities too.

I think part of the reason for that is that quite a few Chinese people have done it. Of course it's definitely not right to generalize. I'm just saying generalizations don't magically come out of nowhere. I'm very environmental minded, but you don't see people generalizing Chinese for being environmental minded just cause of me. Best we can do is ignore it and work on bettering ourselves. There's no point in over thinking it, and maybe try to use some of the negativity to improve.
Yeah, I realize Chinese people aren't known for being proper, but I really think some people need to keep shit to themselves, because I have a hard time believing they've encountered enough rude Chinese people to talk about all of them like that. It was my mom's fault for not being more mindful, but that attitude was fucking terrible.

This is a question I've been wanting to ask for a little while now. It could be its own thread, but I guess I wanted to target it mainly to Asians since I am one as well. When it comes to cultural marriages, funerals and events in general, how do you feel about it? And I don't mean the fun stuff, I mean stuff that's basically like a chore. Maybe not all you guys have events like this but for the ones that do, do you participate? If yes is it because you're forced to? Do you hate it with a passion or are you just used to it and it doesn't bother you. Or you feel another way about it?

Here is a example from my own life. A year ago my uncle died and of course we had a traditional funeral. It last 2 days and many things are required of course. Since I'm very closely related to the person that past I was required to be there and awake for 2 entire days. And on the night of the 2nd day, I along with a ton of my cousins had to sit on the marble floor while some guy sings these songs(that I can't understand) for hours upon hours. From beginning to end that part lasted over 10 hours and we're not allowed to fall asleep during it or you will be woken up by whoever is beside you.

I hated the entire process, of course I'm saying "what's the point of all this". I'll get an explanation and I'm still going to repeat that line. How can I mourn for my uncle when I fucking dread the process of the funeral that I'm basically forced to participate in. I want to help out but why does it require me to be extremely sleep deprived and sit on a hard marble floor for 10+ hours? And I didn't even talk about my wedding which is just as bad IMO. Any thoughts on this and do any you guys also have any similar stories like this?

Yeah, I realize Chinese people aren't known for being proper, but I really think some people need to keep shit to themselves, because I have a hard time believing they've encountered enough rude Chinese people to talk about all of them like that. It was my mom's fault for not being more mindful, but that attitude was fucking terrible.

Yeah, that's true. You know how people are though. We tend to generalize things a lot. Even I caught myself doing it, but I'm self aware most of the time and avoid doing it if I make a mistake.

This is a question I've been wanting to ask for a little while now. It could be its own thread, but I guess I wanted to target it mainly to Asians since I am one as well. When it comes to cultural marriages, funerals and events in general, how do you feel about it? And I don't mean the fun stuff, I mean stuff that's basically like a chore. Maybe not all you guys have events like this but for the ones that do, do you participate? If yes is it because you're forced to? Do you hate it with a passion or are you just used to it and it doesn't bother you. Or you feel another way about it?

Here is a example from my own life. A year ago my uncle died and of course we had a traditional funeral. It last 2 days and many things are required of course. Since I'm very closely related to the person that past I was required to be there and awake for 2 entire days. And on the night of the 2nd day, I along with a ton of my cousins had to sit on the marble floor while some guy sings these songs(that I can't understand) for hours upon hours. From beginning to end that part lasted over 10 hours and we're not allowed to fall asleep during it or you will be woken up by whoever is beside you.

I hated the entire process, of course I'm saying "what's the point of all this". I'll get an explanation and I'm still going to repeat that line. How can I mourn for my uncle when I fucking dread the process of the funeral that I'm basically forced to participate in. I want to help out but why does it require me to be extremely sleep deprived and sit on a hard marble floor for 10+ hours? And I didn't even talk about my wedding which is just as bad IMO. Any thoughts on this and do any you guys also have any similar stories like this?
Well to be frank, those type of cultural traditions such as funerals and events don't bother me. It could also be the fact my parents are extremely chill on it as well. It really doesn't bother them if I flake out, however I tend to go with them if I have a chance just because I want to respect it overall. Keep in mind the old Asian cultures and traditions are vastly difference and it's impossible to chance old stuborn Asians.

Has it been predinatly chinese for a while or just recently? It's weird because at least in the US, it feels like communities with high Asian population treat them better than others since other places have little if any contact.

It seems like a bad loop too which I tried to ask about before but I understand why. Lots of Asians by me are first generation so struggle with English and other things so they feel uncomfortable and stay in their small circles which makes the others think they don't want to integrate so they ignore them and even if a person tries to jump between, those preconceptions are still there and make it difficult.

I'm really sorry that happens to you, hopefully thing sget better. It really sucks having people treat you like that and feeling like you don't fit in. :(

y2dvd

I'm about to start selling #FreeBunny t-shirts.

I just skimmed through the hip asian city thread and in all honestly, bunny was being over sensitive and was just ranting. Maybe if she explained why she was offended more calmly, but even then, I really didn't see anything offensive.

suzu

I dunno what/why we do any of the traditions and my family hasn't really gone into detail about it either. It's unlikely that my generation will continue the traditions, but my family is mostly indifferent. The close relatives' wakes and funerals that I've been to weren't too somber either. I just try to do as much as I can out of respect.

Zoe

I just skimmed through the hip asian city thread and in all honestly, bunny was being over sensitive and was just ranting. Maybe if she explained why she was offended more calmly, but even then, I really didn't see anything offensive.

Me neither.

jasonng

The humanity thread reminded me of a story about the man and his "love ladder". I would post this in that thread but I'm not sure if it's fitting since it's about a man's commitment to his wife and not humanity. I'm pretty sure I found this story on gaf too.

A weird love story has come out of China recently and managed to touch the world. It is a story of a man and an older woman who ran off to live and love each other in peace for over half century. Over 50 years ago, Liu, was a 19 years-old boy, fell in love with a 29 year-old widowed mother named Xu. At the time, it was unacceptable and immoral for a young man to love an older woman. To avoid the market gossips, the couple decided to elope and lived in a cave in Jiangjin County in Southern ChongQing area.

In the beginning, they had nothing, no electricity or even food. They had to eat grass and roots they found in the mountain, and Liu made a kerosene lamp that they used to lighten up their lives. Starting the second year of living in the mountain, Liu began, and continue for over 50 years, to hand carve the steps so that his wife could get down the mountain easily. A half century later in 2001, a group of adventures were exploring the forest, they surprisingly found the elderly couple and the over 6,000 stairs of hand carved ladder.

“My parents loved each other so much, they have lived in seclusion for over 50 years and never been apart a single day.” Liu MingSheng, one of their seven children said, “He hand carved more than 6,000 steps over the years for my mother’s convenience, although she doesn’t go down the mountain that much.”

The couple had lived in peace for over 50 years until last week. Liu, now 72 years-old, returned from his daily farm work and collapsed. Xu sat and prayed with her husband as he passed away in her arms. So in love with Xu, was Liu, that no one was able to release the grip he had on his wife’s hand even after he had passed away. “You promised me you’ll take care of me, you’ll always be with me until the day I died, now you left before me, how am I going to live without you?” Xu spent days softly repeating this sentence and touching her husband’s black coffin with tears rolling down her cheeks.

In 2006, their story had became one of the top 10 love stories from China, collected by the Chinese Women Weekly. The local government has decided to preserve the love ladder and the place they lived as a museum, so this love story can live forever.

Link.

y2dvd

So I had an interesting conversation with the missus the other night. We were talking about why Black and Latino men struggle more in life than Asian men, using the stats in the institutional racism thread. She thinks Asians are more submissive and obedient in general. I wonder how many people truly feels that way.

jasonng

So I had an interesting conversation with the missus the other night. We were talking about why Black and Latino men struggle more in life than Asian men, using the stats in the institutional racism thread. She thinks Asians are more submissive and obedient in general. I wonder how many people truly feels that way.

It's definitely a stereotype I've dealt with. A lot of people, at least from my experience, views Asians (more so with males) as docile and passive. It's an unfair misunderstanding since I'm sure that a lot grew up in a culture around being polite.

y2dvd

It's definitely a stereotype I've dealt with. A lot of people, at least from my experience, views Asians (more so with males) as docile and passive. It's an unfair misunderstanding since I'm sure that a lot grew up in a culture around being polite.

I try to think why is that and I can only assume a little of it has to do with our physical stature. We tend to be smaller than our counterparts. When you're bigger and stronger, it's easier to appear intimidating and aggressive.

I completely agree that it's an unfair misunderstanding. A lot of gal pals won't date Asian guys for being "too polite". Heck, my girl sounded to think the same way but thought I was nice but assertive, so she gave me the pass lol.

I do notice that the first generation or two of Asians that lives in the states are usually more humble, but today's generation are becoming more assertive.

Well this is awkward, my Grandma from San Francisco is staying at my parent's place near San Diego for a week and she is sort of mind-addled with dementia so when in person she often comes to talk to me at random but continuous intervals.

Latest conversation she had with me is telling me she prayed for me, I'm an atheist but with respect (or apathy as I was in the middle of watching a series) I gave her the standard reply that I believed in God too and she went on on how she prayed for me all the time. Then the conversation turned very awkward when she mentioned that their are a lot of gay people in San Francisco and it wasn't right. Like what the hell?

Zoe

Do any of your parents not refrigerate food that should be put in the fridge?

We have a stew that's been sitting out for three days now...

Top Bottom