• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

jasonng

You can have your inferior mooncakes. Me? I'll be dining well on these bad boys.

20140827_170352.jpg

jasonng

They're apparently called custard snowskin mooncakes. They come in multiple flavors. So far my favorites are macha, vanilla, and orange. They are definitely better because unlike regular mooncakes, they're edible.

Toki767

the og from portugal
i'll have to say, in my bias opinion, it's still better than any other i've had

I just had freshly baked Portuguese egg tarts yesterday for the first time. So good. Usually I have them when they're already cold and they're still good, but freshly baked ones are on a whole other level.

How many 2015 calendars have your parents collected so far? I think my mom is up to like 5 now.

0. My family doesn't have calendars or working clocks.

Today I learned that there is lychee honey, alfafa sprouts are impossible to find, and mung bean and soy bean sprouts are not the same thing.

MMMM FOOD.

Wait, how does your family tell time without clocks? Have they moved entirely to relying on their cellphones, because that would be super forward-thinking.

My parents used to collect calendars too, for reasons that elude me (and probably them). I'm pretty sure that's just one more piece of my heritage that has been left behind.

Asian food is pretty much the only way I can consume regular vegetable matter.

Salads can go suck it.

Also apparently because I'm Korean I have Starcraft hands. Reaction speeds when playing slap card games the fishing game in Mario Party is unparalleled.

Oh man, Lunar New Year is next month and I'm already preparing to get dragged to buy oranges, cakes, and other stuff to deliver to all extended family members who never say hello.

The plus side are still the red envelopes.

Esch

Banned
I ate some lovely dim sum this weekend with my sister. Best meal format ever. I wish every kind of food was served like tapas or dim sum. High quality, tasty, and you can control your portions perfectly. Bless up.

I ate some lovely dim sum this weekend with my sister. Best meal format ever. I wish every kind of food was served like tapas or dim sum. High quality, tasty, and you can control your portions perfectly. Bless up.

my first experienced at a Dim Sum was in Houston. it was basically next to Seoul House which i loved. but yeah. i love the food there. would go there again. and the price was reasonable probably because we split the check 12 ways lol.

the speed they brought food and us eating and me trying to take a picture though lol

10525890_10103508343678175_7610772971464462948_n.jpg

Toki767

Keep bean sprouts away from my pho! Never was a fan of the two together.

Yeah, I never use them in pho (and I dislike when people use them in chow mein and stuff like that). I actually prefer the northern style pho more than the southern style which is what most people probably know as pho. Northern style doesn't use bean sprouts. Instead they give green onions, vinegar, fish sauce, and chilli sauce as the garnish.

Zhao_Yun

I love bean sprouts in my pho. Prefer the southern style Pho as well :p

Now I really want to eat Pho. Unfortunately I'd have to return to my parents' place for that. :(

Windam

Scaley member
Wat.

SMH. Way to fuel the supposed white people are gods to Asians stereotype. Not every Asian thinks that. I know a few immigrants that still refer to white people as "white ghost/foreign ghost." -__-

That view is still pretty strong where my parents came from (Guyana). You never see them compliment someone even remotely dark skinned. It's always "...so fair and nice...". Pretty much just having light skin makes you beautiful. I "have to find someone your skin tone or lighter".

Mom pls

That view is still pretty strong where my parents came from (Guyana). You never see them compliment someone even remotely dark skinned. It's always "...so fair and nice...". Pretty much just having light skin makes you beautiful. I "have to find someone your skin tone or lighter".

Mom pls

i got some skin whitening cream if she wants if she's into that or her friends.

Tangeroo

my first experienced at a Dim Sum was in Houston. it was basically next to Seoul House which i loved. but yeah. i love the food there. would go there again. and the price was reasonable probably because we split the check 12 ways lol.

the speed they brought food and us eating and me trying to take a picture though lol

I used to be on a pretty major Dim Sum kick but now I've moved onto all-you-can-eat KBBQ.

tcAS9ig.jpg

This is from one of my favorite places in Shoreline, WA but these days we typically hit up Arirang in Lynnwood, WA. The ahjumma there aren't exactly speedy but they ply you with all the meat/side-dishes you can eat and more.

If I had AYCE KBBQ near me, it would be very dangerous.

I have to go to Flushing, NY for the closest one that I know of.

We do have a hot pot buffet place here in Boston though..

If I had AYCE KBBQ near me, it would be very dangerous.

I have to go to Flushing, NY for the closest one that I know of.

We do have a hot pot buffet place here in Boston though..
I prefer Korean pork bone soup, myself. Owl of Minerva in Markham is the BEST. AYCE's pretty good too though.

Being a dark ass Filipino... LOL.

The sentiment is true in a way, as a lot of the Filipino celebrities are pretty much light-skinned enough that they give off the image of white, and y'all know how people imitate the media these days.

I will not lie though, I did use those whitening products back then. Like back in high school and a few years into college since I was a band geek. I never got sunburned but I did turn dark as fnck every fall season. It did eventually fade away though, now I'm as dark as most Filipinos... like a darker shade of honey mustard haha.

I used to be on a pretty major Dim Sum kick but now I've moved onto all-you-can-eat KBBQ.

tcAS9ig.jpg

This is from one of my favorite places in Shoreline, WA but these days we typically hit up Arirang in Lynnwood, WA. The ahjumma there aren't exactly speedy but they ply you with all the meat/side-dishes you can eat and more.

wait. they have this? i shouldn't tell my brother before he travels out of the state for it lol.

All kinds of skin tones are fab. The best are the ones with even complexion. SO JELLY~

I'm not pale by Asian standards. Often my mom would say you need to take care of your skin better, etc. By which she means she wants me to be whiter. But I kinda like my skin tone, so I just nodnodnod.

^______^

All kinds of skin tones are fab. The best are the ones with even complexion. SO JELLY~

I'm not pale by Asian standards. Often my mom would say you need to take care of your skin better, etc. By which she means she wants me to be whiter. But I kinda like my skin tone, so I just nodnodnod.

^______^

I'm whiter than some white people. I know, we just compared last week. We were talking about spray on tans with a friend.

At most Asian restaurants, have most of you been treated better based on lighter skin tone?

I'm darker versus the rest of my family and my brother was born with a pretty pale complexion. The waiters at this Chinese restaurant we used to frequent would constantly hand him the check, when it was my treat. I paid for it and overheard the waiter saying that he thought I was the poor man out. =\

At most Asian restaurants, have most of you been treated better based on lighter skin tone?

I'm darker versus the rest of my family and my brother was born with a pretty pale complexion. The waiters at this Chinese restaurant we used to frequent would constantly hand him the check, when it was my treat. I paid for it and overheard the waiter saying that he thought I was the poor man out. =\

lol wow.

Top Bottom