• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

clav

The traditional/stereotypical Asian parenting thing sounds pretty nerve-wracking to me. Looking back I kind of wish that my parents were a bit harder on me, but really I only have myself to blame for where I'm at right now lol.

I don't think you would want that.

My dad threw me out of the house in the middle of the night because of my SAT scores. He just grabbed whatever surrounded my body, pulled me down the stairs, opened the front door, threw me down, and slammed the door shut in the midst of crying and confused anger.

My mother woke up and said, "WTF. What is this going to prove?" and then they started to argue.

The only thing I wished my parents actually pressured me into doing is learning piano/violin or dance as a child. They asked if I wanted to and I said "nope"... and that was that. Dammit, parents! lol

I wonder since I considered going to Juilliard. Why? What do you wish you could do now?

Oh yeah, definitely not saying I'd want that. Just that I feel that maybe sometimes they might've been a bit too lax.

Sorry you had to experience that, by the way.

My dad threw me out of the house in the middle of the night because of my SAT scores. He just grabbed whatever surrounded my body, pulled me down the stairs, opened the front door, threw me down, and slammed the door shut in the midst of crying and confused anger.

My mother woke up and said, "WTF. What is this going to prove?" and then they started to argue.

Parents did the same thing to me (grades not SAT scores though). Has anyone here been actually grounded? I remember when my mom tried to ground me. I just laughed, asked her why she wasn't going to actually discipline me and left the house.

Kevyt

for these winter months. this would have been nice to have.

46181784a7280c503c33aedd509cc0d0.jpg

maybe i'll ask my mom what's the recipe to make the noodles. lol.

no to store packaged noodles

Some store packaged noodles are good. I bought some udon ramens from Costco and they're really good.

Anyone ever worry how North Korea's actions may negatively reflect how people perceive other Asians?

Nah. Even though there's a huge amount of ignorance I don't think it'll be a problem. Every single hay-seed, uneducated person that has ever asked me "what kinda Asian are ya" and hears that I'm Korean, will invariably ask "North or South?"

On some occasions I've taken the time to describe that there is no ethnic difference as the divide is only about 60 some years and a political one at that. And furthermore, due to the totalitarian prison-state of the regime and the inability of the vast majority of North Koreans to even get a passport let alone travel, asking if I'm from North Korea is almost a completely moot question as any sort of large-scale homogenization and naturalization to the U.S. from defectors is still at least one to two generations away.

But most of the time I just say "South."

Reading about all these experiences with harsh parents is interesting for me. My brother and I were born in the US and my parents are from the Philippines, but are pretty thoroughly Americanized (thanks in large part to my dad joining the Army before I was born). They always encouraged me to study and follow my dreams, but were less pushy about it the older I got. I get the feeling that most of my cousins living in the states got the same sort of treatment as well.

The traditional/stereotypical Asian parenting thing sounds pretty nerve-wracking to me. Looking back I kind of wish that my parents were a bit harder on me, but really I only have myself to blame for where I'm at right now lol.

Same experience here. I think my parents started out as typical hard ass Chinese/Taiwanese parents, but then they divorced when I was 7. The whole family dynamic was turned upside down and I got an "American" upbringing. I was also a terrible, terrible child, so eventually when I started to be less terrible they were probably relieved.

My sister had it rougher though. She was always compared to me growing up. And there were always little things like how she was typically asked to clear the table and wash the dishes. Of course, I was a lazy shit whereas she wasn't, so maybe that's why? Who knows.

Jesus that sounds awful. I hope that things have toned down over time.

Finally saw that Seoul thread you guys were talking about a while ago. I didn't find it super harmful, but there really is a slimy veneer of "oooh look at the ethnics" and a few posts that make you cringe.

Sweet, glad I wasn't the only one who had to go through that.

My dad also lit a match on my lips when I was 4 or 5 years old.

waw you guys ;___;

all my hugs for y'all

i guess, being a girl, the pressure i got from my parents were more subtle and passive aggressive and not so much outright abuse... :x

Goddamn.

Some of y'all's parents are borderline crazy lol.

Growing up in the Philippines, I was practically a rebel, you know one of the cool kids in elementary who skipped class and stuff, and it wasn't until I got here in the US where I became nerdy as fnck. Even then my parents never really pushed me for all that academic excellence, they just wanted me to pursue what I wanted to pursue. And I'm quite grateful for that, I got out of college with the skills to run a recording studio, production work for audio and video, and also talent for radio and TV news.

The most amazing thing is I was the only Asian kid doing audio engineering and radio/TV broadcast. Every other Asian at my uni was at the stereotypical majors and when they find out I'm an audio engineer/RTVB major they're like: "what the fnck do your parents hate you or something?"

Nope, not at all. If anything, they know me well enough that I could do whatever the fnck I want and still succeed unlike some of you poor sods who got forced by your overly controlling parents.

That's definitely the way I'm gonna raise my kids, sure I'll force them to learn a musical instrument since it's cool as fnck and it runs in the family, but other than that, they could do whatever they want as long as they succeed at it.

clav

Parents did the same thing to me (grades not SAT scores though). Has anyone here been actually grounded? I remember when my mom tried to ground me. I just laughed, asked her why she wasn't going to actually discipline me and left the house.

No because I was always grounded. Stay inside and study. Play piano.

I laugh at the idea when American raised kids hated being grounded.

What's so bad about it?

Oh it just seems like cool skills to have even if you're not at Juilliard level. hah

If you want cool skills, people want to hear guitar. Piano is too cumbersome to lug around.

College seemed to emphasize that, so I gave up. Too difficult to practice in between the time to study and add in a social life. Plus a lot of classical musicians end up marrying breadwinners, so the music group seemed to be predominantly female.

Violin is an expensive instrument if you want early arthritis and lose your sanity for mastery. Totally not ergonomic for the fingers as you have to curve and hold your instrument in a certain way. Neck and shoulder pain in later years. No cheat sheet like guitar to place your fingers as you have to remember the note positions. Fine sounding violins cost a person's yearly salary. Self-maintenance can only go so far for inevitable drops + damage.

suzu

Well, my choices were only piano/violin or ballet. :p Oh and I meant for my own enjoyment too, not just to show off for others. lol

clav

Sweet, glad I wasn't the only one who had to go through that.

My dad also lit a match on my lips when I was 4 or 5 years old.

My dad kicked me to the floor when he found out I got in trouble in school for leaving the room without the teacher's permission. He then proceeded to put me in a headlock and spit + drooled in my ear while I just lied down in the corner and cried. Told me to go eat my own spit + tears mixed in my mouth.

The teacher never told me I had to ask her permission as I was not even 10 years old. Isn't the teacher supposed to teach the kid what the rules are and not just throw the kid in the principal's office when she failed, too? No one told me!

waw you guys ;___;

all my hugs for y'all

i guess, being a girl, the pressure i got from my parents were more subtle and passive aggressive and not so much outright abuse... :x

One of my college Chinese acquaintances told me her dad used to tie her in a chair with rope in a garage and beat her whenever she did something wrong.

There are a lot of crazy dads.

I've heard stories of psycho moms as well. What's the term? Tiger mom?

y2dvd

My dad kicked me to the floor when he found out I got in trouble in school for leaving the room without the teacher's permission. He then proceeded to put me in a headlock and spit + drooled in my ear while I just lied down in the corner and cried. Told me to go eat my own spit + tears mixed in my mouth.

The teacher never told me I had to ask her permission as I was not even 10 years old. Isn't the teacher supposed to teach the kid what the rules are and not just throw the kid in the principal's office when she failed, too? No one told me!

One of my college Chinese acquaintances told me her dad used to tie her in a chair with rope in a garage and beat her whenever she did something wrong.

I wouldn't say I have the best parents in the world. I was going insane and moved out out the house asap. I pretty much lived on my buddy's couch for months on end. It was shitty and far from ideal, but it beats living under my parents rooftop any further. It took forever to come to my own, but it's totally worth it and my parents came around to accepting my decision to leave them. I'd try to move out. I don't give a fuck if they are your parents. It gives them no right to abuse you.

aaaa clavier ;____; your childhood ;____;

oh, yea, that's true too. i know this girl whose dad used to cane her on the calves when she was misbehaving :<

but ya, i guess i was lucky cuz my parents were one of those that are against physical punishments. i did get grounded a fair bit and was given time-out sessions loads, but they never laid a hand on me otherwise.

butbutbut your childhood ;____; im glad that you are away from your family, knowing now their abusiveness. hope you know that you are stronger than most of us, having survived all that o7

clav

I wouldn't say I have the best parents in the world. I was going insane and moved out out the house asap. I pretty much lived on my buddy's couch for months on end. It was shitty and far from ideal, but it beats living under my parents rooftop any further. It took forever to come to my own, but it's totally worth it and my parents came around to accepting my decision to leave them. I'd try to move out. I don't give a fuck if they are your parents. It gives them no right to abuse you.

I wish I could, but my job prospects are not good. I quit my job recently as I couldn't take it any more (i.e. environment, work culture, ethics), so I'm living with my parents for now. However, I don't know where to go from here.

Despite having a degree in electrical engineering, I can't say I'm really specialized in my field. I was hoping I could land a job with a company who would pay for my masters while I go to work.

That has yet to happen. Every interview I go, people question my background, but I guess people just want that person who fits all the qualifications. Also I suppose looks play a huge matter as I'm not tall.

I want to work in IT.

I don't have any friends.

People just want to see happy and successful beings. Those who are not are just left out and forgotten. Hence, I quit facebook. No one wanted to hear it from me. Not even my primary doctor. Just take meds.

aaaa clavier ;____; your childhood ;____;

oh, yea, that's true too. i know this girl whose dad used to cane her on the calves when she was misbehaving :<

but ya, i guess i was lucky cuz my parents were one of those that are against physical punishments. i did get grounded a fair bit and was given time-out sessions loads, but they never laid a hand on me otherwise.

butbutbut your childhood ;____; im glad that you are away from your family, knowing now their abusiveness. hope you know that you are stronger than most of us, having survived all that o7

My aunt used to punish my cousin when he was practicing piano with a chopstick. Every time he played a wrong note, she whacked his fingers and said, "Wrong." Eventually, he couldn't take it any more and ran away crying.

I think my whole family tree is screwed up. No one talks to each other respectfully. Sometimes I just wonder if the legacy has to continue.

I'm still with my parents now due to my working situation.

Sigh.

I guess they love me enough to take care of me at this age, but still. Too many emotional scars.

Thanks for all your responses. They mean a lot to me.

Care and abuse goes hand in hand I guess. They care about you, but they also abuse you. Part of what fuels my happiness of being single is letting them know I will never carry on the family line. It's my way of getting revenge without ever having to do anything evil.

I wish I could, but my job prospects are not good. I quit my job recently as I couldn't take it any more (i.e. environment, work culture, ethics), so I'm living with my parents for now. However, I don't know where to go from here.

Despite having a degree in electrical engineering, I can't say I'm really specialized in my field. I was hoping I could land a job with a company who would pay for my masters while I go to work.

That has yet to happen. Every interview I go, people question my background, but I guess people just want that person who fits all the qualifications. Also I suppose looks play a huge matter as I'm not tall.

I want to work in IT.

I don't have any friends.

People just want to see happy and successful beings. Those who are not are just left out and forgotten. Hence, I quit facebook. No one wanted to hear it from me. Not even my primary doctor. Just take meds.

My aunt used to punish my cousin when he was practicing piano with a chopstick. Every time he played a wrong note, she whacked his fingers and said, "Wrong." Eventually, he couldn't take it any more and ran away crying.

I think my whole family tree is screwed up. No one talks to each other respectfully. Sometimes I just wonder if the legacy has to continue.

I'm still with my parents now due to my working situation.

Sigh.

I guess they love me enough to take care of me at this age, but still. Too many emotional scars.

Thanks for all your responses. They mean a lot to me.

so sorry, i thought you had moved away :x ugh im terribly, terribly sad to hear that you're stuck there, clavier. it must be a toxic environment which would only erode on you daily. i hope you know that GAF will support you if you need to discuss or vent or just find shallow pools of respite on the internet :<

i hope 2015 will be a better year for you.

much hugs <3

clav

Thanks everyone.

Sorry that the thread took a sad turn. I find the subject of Asian parenting unavoidable since I talked to other people about it when I was growing up just to see if my life was normal. People tend to remember their negative experiences more rather than reflecting on their positive ones.

I guess my upbringing wasn't all that bad. I still got to play video games, and I'm not paying for rent right now. I also learned piano, which I guess judging from some posters they wish they had that opportunity, too.

I try to say to myself that my life could have been worse. The quality of life really determines what side of the planet you're born on.

I guess my upbringing wasn't all that bad. I still got to play video games, and I'm not paying for rent right now. I also learned piano, which I guess judging from some posters they wish they had that opportunity, too.

I started when I was 3 and it sounds like I had a similar musical parental beatdown that you did. That being said, I hated piano up until the point where I realized I could start playing the stuff I wanted to play which was at about age 14 or so. Then I started really enjoying it and still keep up with it. It is a nice skill to have.

I also did violin, but I really didn't enjoy that or orchestra.

clav

I started when I was 3 and it sounds like I had a similar musical parental beatdown that you did. That being said, I hated piano up until the point where I realized I could start playing the stuff I wanted to play which was at about age 14 or so. Then I started really enjoying it and still keep up with it. It is a nice skill to have.

I also did violin, but I really didn't enjoy that or orchestra.

3 whoa. You must be crazy good. I started three years later.

I never really hated piano. When finally I had to make a decision on what piece to learn next, I really could not. My teacher then started throwing hard pieces at me since I obeyed anything.

It wasn't until college that I finally challenged myself of why should I go through a major with it when it doesn't mean that much in the end. I guess I really didn't like second year of Aural Skills when classes mixed the vocalists with the instrumentalists. The thought terrified me. Even though I aced the first year of music theory, rhythm and hearing notation, I wasn't really sure whether I wanted to go through with it. At the same time, I wanted to add in a social life that I never really had before and meet new people. I didn't want to be locked up in a practice room 3+ hours a day any more. I would often complete my engineering assignments in the way past morning while everyone already completed it earlier.

Then, finally like you, I realized I could just play just to enjoy it.

All this talk of parenting is interesting to me since I just saw the movie Boyhood. Without spoiling too much, let's just say that watching the movie made me think about the type of father I had and the type of father I want to eventually be. It also made me want to call my mom!

If I ever have children I want to have a closeness to them that I don't have or really want from my parents. But on the other hand, priority #1 is to make sure that my future children grow up to be functioning, good people. If my relationship with them has to be sacrificed in order for that to happen then so be it.

Funny how I have the luxury to think about whether or not my future children will like me when my parents were just concerned about whether I had food on the table (and why I was being sent to the principal's office so often).

I try to say to myself that my life could have been worse. The quality of life really determines what side of the planet you're born on.

qDVrrAh.jpg

Funny how I have the luxury to think about whether or not my future children will like me when my parents were just concerned about whether I had food on the table (and why I was being sent to the principal's office so often).

At the rate humanity is going, we or maybe our kids will have to think about food again. All the deforestation, wrecking the environment, pollution, and species going extinct. We're approaching a 6th great extinction on this planet, and Asians are the forefront. The poaching of ivory, shark fin, and dolphin slaughter. Soon our population will out grow our food production, and this won't just be an Asian problem.

It wasn't until college that I finally challenged myself of why should I go through a major with it when it doesn't mean that much in the end. I guess I really didn't like second year of Aural Skills when classes mixed the vocalists with the instrumentalists. The thought terrified me. Even though I aced the first year of music theory, rhythm and hearing notation, I wasn't really sure whether I wanted to go through with it.

I was preparing audition pieces at the start of my Junior year of high school, but I remember the weird turn around that my parents did. My parents wanted me to excel and be super competitive so they put me in the prep department at a pretty highly ranked conservatory that focuses on preparing (even at that young of an age) FOR college and grad school. They pushed me pretty hard in concerto competitions and so forth, but as soon as the possibility of it becoming a career popped up, they freaked out. Luckily, I never really intended to pursue a career in music so I didn't have to have a big conversation or fight.

All this talk of parenting is interesting to me since I just saw the movie Boyhood. Without spoiling too much, let's just say that watching the movie made me think about the type of father I had and the type of father I want to eventually be. It also made me want to call my mom!

If I ever have children I want to have a closeness to them that I don't have or really want from my parents. But on the other hand, priority #1 is to make sure that my future children grow up to be functioning, good people. If my relationship with them has to be sacrificed in order for that to happen then so be it.

Boyhood was amazing. I mean, I love Linklater's stuff in general, but this was to me, my favorite of his. I probably had the same moments of inflection that you did about what kind of parent I want to be. My fiancee (she's Chinese/I'm Korean) is totally into the whole "be a Tiger Mom" thing, and while I think pushing kids is good, I'm like you in that I want a meaningful connection with my children that I didn't quite have with my parents.

Plus I keep telling her how much I despise Amy Chua, and how she's a self-aggrandizing racist.

At the rate humanity is going, we or maybe our kids will have to think about food again. All the deforestation, wrecking the environment, pollution, and species going extinct. We're approaching a 6th great extinction on this planet, and Asians are the forefront. The poaching of ivory, shark fin, and dolphin slaughter. Soon our population will out grow our food production, and this won't just be an Asian problem.

Asians are going to drown in plastic. Every single consumable pellet must be wrapped!

Kevyt

qDVrrAh.jpg

My thoughts exactly. We're depleting out planet :(

Ochi

Neo Member

The biggest problems involving hunger world wide is distribution of goods and services. There is more than enough food to feed people of the world in the form of soy and grains.

However I do agree with the the sentiment that humans are causing harm to animal species and biodiversity worldwide.

Asian-GAF! What are your Christmas or general holiday plans?

Spending time with the parents and family &#128106; shopping &#127980; road tripping &#128663; eating lots &#127831; booze &#127863; and games!!!! &#127918; hooray hooray &#127878;&#127879;&#127881;&#127882;&#127876;

Spending time with the parents and family &#128106; shopping &#127980; road tripping &#128663; eating lots &#127831; booze &#127863; and games!!!! &#127918; hooray hooray &#127878;&#127879;&#127881;&#127882;&#127876;

Grueling road trip from LA to Vegas, to San Jose, to Elk Grove, to San Fran and then back to LA in just over a week. One day of "rest" (spending time with family) between each driving day.

Wanted to do something for New Years but at this point we haven't had time to make plans and will end up falling into a fitful, exhausted sleep around 10 PM.

Asian-GAF! What are your Christmas or general holiday plans?

Everyone in our extended family (those who live in this state, at least) gather at my uncle's house on Christmas Eve. We have a light dinner, go to church, then come back and hang out until it's time to sleep. We all stay the night, have a huge breakfast/brunch (think AM Thanksgiving), open presents, do karaoke, play video games, all that stuff. I fuckin' love Christmas.

Meh.

Parents can be destructive, too.

My family circle talks about 1-uping their kid at the table (i.e. who is the best kid?), and whoever's kid accomplished the most gets the gossip trophy and mass approval while the rest start shouting, "Why can't you be like xyz? You suck and fail at life!"

Then, they sometimes say, "I regret having you in my life. You are such a nuisance."

Other times, they say, "Raising you was difficult. You are the worst child ever. One day you'll know why."

I'm not close to any of my cousins since we were all used as tools for trophy gossip. We never talk nor contact each other.

Wat Da Fuck

Wat Da Fuck? What the fuck?

Thanks everyone.

Sorry that the thread took a sad turn. I find the subject of Asian parenting unavoidable since I talked to other people about it when I was growing up just to see if my life was normal. People tend to remember their negative experiences more rather than reflecting on their positive ones.

I wouldn't worry about venting. Shit sucks at times. It's interesting about crazy dads, most people I know had crazy moms and got along really well with their dad. It was mostly girls though so maybe that's why.

On a different note, I've gotten addicted to eating rice plain. Now that I'm buying good quality rice, it's tasty when with nothing on it.

Top Bottom