• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

When I was 18, I dated a girl who was 23. It was fine, but there were problems, like me not being able to go out to bars or clubs with her and whatnot, and eventually it ended.

On the flip side, (and also) when I was 18, there was another girl I liked who was only 16, and I didn't pursue it because I was self-conscious about that. Of course I later found out that it probably would have worked out.

However, for you right now, it's just a date! Go out and have fun!

Llyranor

Age/2 + 7. You're pretty close :S

I'd be more worried about the immaturity rather than the whole 'taking advantage of' impression.

Llyranor

Well, it was a response to whether Chinese people eat popcorn in theaters. Does popcorn even exist in China? Do they even know what popcorn is?! Can their Chinese bodies even digest popcorn??!

cdyhybrid

Yeah that school is something else. Unbelievably daft is right bunny.If only Iko and the rest of the Raid gang got something better than a CG chase scene in The Force Awakens goddamn *sobs*

Yeah, really wish those guys got a legitimate action scene.

Hopefully they find their way into a Fast & Furious movie. They would be dynamite.

Moonkid

Yeah, really wish those guys got a legitimate action scene.

Hopefully they find their way into a Fast & Furious movie. They would be dynamite.
That or John Wick. Given the latter has gone to Europe for the sequel, Asia feels like a solid choice for the next.

zeemumu

Disagree. Would be nice if they covered the full extent of the atrocities of the war, but they have tons of their own history to learn. Fairly certain most American and German students know shit about Chinese or Taiwanese history -- fuck, most of them are dumbfucks when it comes to just history BETWEEN China and Taiwan, and yet have no problem sprouting their opinions about the two countries.

Would have been better if the students' teachers were better vetted. You don't need to know a lot about history to have the empathy and foresight to realize this is not cool and actually very offensive.

I think most schools have different classes for world and local history anyway and I feel like World War II holds enough significance on a global scale that it should be one of the major talking points of any standard world history course.

zeemumu

They do learn about WW2. They just learn about it as it impacts them.

We don't really cover the horrors of the Japanese in WW2, if at all.

Cultural relativism, really.

In the history of Taiwan courses, maybe, but my experience with world history courses involved them being a lot more broad. It makes sense to know more about one's own country's role in it but at the very least people should take away enough from the general history of it to know why doing that probably wasn't the best idea.

zeemumu

Meh, that last part I highly doubt.

If we can't get Americans to stop dressing up as Native Americans (the very same ones we slaughtered not too long ago), I highly doubt we can get other humans to never do anything questionable either, especially when they weren't even directly involved or impacted.

Empathy isn't common.

I feel like it shouldn't require that much empathy

IMG_20161225_120619.jpg
"'Heater'? The hell is that? Anyway, do you want 'cold' or 'real cold'?"

GAF never ceases to amazes me. That Thief thread is just something, right? But it's okay because it's replacing Florida Man. No, no it's not and the OP has acknowledged it.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas y'all!

Sooo....my family came down to LA to spend Xmas this year and it was a spirited back and forth bill battle for dinner between my family and my fiance and her family. She managed to get round 1 but Xmas eve dinner, the ultimate stand off, I managed to prevail. The whole time we were having dinner, future in laws had their eyes on me ready to pounce the moment I tried to make a move for the bill (my fiance was like...we're are paying no ands ifs or buts...you ain't getting this- little did she know I had removed her credit cards from her wallet and left them in a safe place back in our apartment) so I texted my sister across the table to go get the bill for me..Anyways.. she picks up the check and literally the 6 people stand up and start pleading their case for the bill (with the usual shoving of credit cards at the waiter...). But I had beaten them to the punch... Thankfully once that was squared away, everyone became more relaxed and the mood returned to being more jovial and festive.

Top Bottom