• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

The recent prevalence of the surgery to turn mono eyelids to double eyelids (and not vice versa) and the recent predominance of double eyelid celebrities and other public figures in East Asian popular culture (even though genetically it should be 50/50 monolids represented) is traced to the influence of white beauty standards.

hint: Nobody is saying only white people (or Eurasian) have double eyelids
Sorry but I'm still not getting the point. You're not saying only white people get it but even though 50% of the population looks like that naturally then the increase in surgery is because they want to be white?
I have double eyelids on both eyes...

... Am I now white??

👀
Wait, you're not white? When did this happen?

Uh I don't really understand. Are they indicating that they still believe that double eyelids are a mostly white people (or Eurasian) thing, even though it's 50/50 in East Asians?

I just don't think that most people who are getting this surgery are getting it because they want to look "more white".. especially since it's a naturally occurring facial feature in many full blooded Asians.

So it bugs me that this keeps getting perpetuated over and over. Anything beyond straight black hair and monolids is considered trying to be less Asian. :|
I have double eyelids on both eyes...

... Am I now white??

👀
My hair is also naturally wavy. Make beauty great again.

To be fair, we don't know what survey questions were answered that way. What if it was one of the "Yes" answers?

570.gif

Edit: wait, we talking hair now? Mine's wavy/curvy when it gets long. If I cut my hair right now, I wouldn't have my beautiful set of mane, mayne. I also have (from what I could remember of him) my dad's receding hairline and then the curvy/wavyness comes from my mom. So I agree with Septimus:

Make beauty great again.

Blackhead

Redarse
Sorry but I'm still not getting the point. You're not saying only white people get it but even though 50% of the population looks like that naturally then the increase in surgery is because they want to be white?
No. The white standard of what is beautiful influenced the east asian standard of what is beautiful. The standards are not the same; east asian people don't want to be white people. But there are white beauty standards that east asians have adopted as their own. Again:
many idols born and bred in East Asia also have double lids, even though, genetically speaking, they should be split 50/50 between having monolids and double lids. And that’s because of the prevalence of eyelid surgery in those countries...

According to Cho Kyo’s book The Search for the Beautiful Woman: A Cultural History of Chinese and Japanese Beauty, eyelid type wasn’t tied to beauty in East Asia until the modern era...

Like, I'm cool with the overall message in that thread's video? I just disagree with the notion that most of the characters are featuring Eurocentric appearances. Sorry if I'm not really articulate in getting my point across. D:

That said, I don't even care about or watch anime anymore. lol
This where we disagree. I DO think that the characters are featuring Eurocentric appearances. BUT

I'm not disputing that white beauty standards have some influence in Asia.

The problem I have with ppl bringing up "Eurocentric looks" is that it's been commonly used as a way to dismiss concerns Asians have over certain media representation. Because people will attribute all these facial features to white ppl and white standards for beauty, while ignoring context.

This is where we agree. I do NOT think that concerns Asians have over certain media representation should be dismissed.

I think due to the context (i.e. manga written by japanese author, who's characters speak japanese, and read by a japanese audience who identify the characters as japanese) that the characters are japanese and should be played by japanese/japanese-american actors even though the anime characters look eurocentric, especially considering the dearth of roles offered to asian-american actors etc.

another analogy: if you're at an airport and someone asks 'where are you from?' it wouldn't be a bad question. However if you're in California, at a work party, and someone asks 'Where are you really from?' it would be an offensive question considering the context of the many generations of asians who have immigrated to that region but are just as 'American' as the generations of irish or italians who have immigrated to that region.

My point is that instead of denying that anime characters have eurocentric representations we should instead focus of making sure that people don't ignore the context.

dramatis

I don't care about the color. I wish my hair was straight.

That said, how many people watch Asian TV entertainment (dramas/variety shows) in here?

Llyranor

I used to watch TVB Wuxia serials from the 80's/90's all the time. Haven't seen a good one in years, really dislike the Mainland stuff.

Usobuko

Banned
That was really stupid of the OP if he wanted to make a Florida man reference he could have said Guangdong man but instead he used a slur.

It was not a play on the florida man. I searched with the key words " motorcycle " "china" "man" "thief" on youtube. I choose "china" because it occurred in china.

You'll get same results if you key those in.

I have a post somewhere in this thread where I mentioned my frustration with the biases GAF often exhibit when it comes to racism against Asian. I have no ill intention but I really didn't notice it until it was pointed out.

It was not a play on the florida man. I searched with the key words " motorcycle " "china" "man" "thief" on youtube. I choose "china" because it occurred in china.

You'll get same results if you key those in.

I have a post somewhere in this thread where I mentioned my frustration with the biases GAF often exhibit when it comes to racism against Asian. I have no ill intention but I really didn't notice it until it was pointed out.
An honest mistake, We all occasionally make a mistake in wording and not notice until you already done the post。

Usobuko

Banned
The teens in my country are getting ridiculously taller across the board. I am 177/178 cm and around top 20% among my peers in schooling years but these days that height seem to be the mean for them.

An honest mistake, We all occasionally make a mistake in wording and not notice until you already done the post。

Yeah, I still don't understand why I would miss that slur. I am aware and read about its origins before.

Oh, I actually thought it was a play on Florida man at first, and that it was just obliviousness to the term haha.

Btw, hi! I saw that post you mentioned. It was nice to see that ^___^.

(Welcome? I could have sworn you've posted here before!)

I was there when AsianGAF first begins and it quickly became a dedicated food OT.

Yeah, the Hmong teens here are getting taller themselves. Then before they know it, they're gonna be the new manlets Feelsbadman

Speaking of food..... We really didn't post much of what we ate over the Holiday's, huh? For shame. Shame on all of you.

Blackhead

Redarse
I totally disagree with you here.

You insist there's a difference, and I get what you're saying, but your nuance is lost in this context and it quite honestly pointless because it only perpetuates this idea that Asian people want to look white. I find that in this current climate and context, there is no fucking point in trying to tell white people there's a difference. Most of them don't care and won't hear it.

It's like in front of white people I don't see the point of trying to give too much context and nuance because it gets lost and they just take it to defend their stupid wack ideas. In Asian GAF we discuss a lot more nuance, but in those public threads, you're just giving ammo to the white supremacists and racists

Fair enough. I haven't actually posted in the Talib thread but I'll think more before I post in future threads

The teens in my country are getting ridiculously taller across the board. I am 177/178 cm and around top 20% among my peers in schooling years but these days that height seem to be the mean for them.

Yeah, I still don't understand why I would miss that slur. I am aware and read about its origins before.

I was there when AsianGAF first begins and it quickly became a dedicated food OT.
:lol

Speaking of food...went to a few places over the break..

Newport Seafood in San Gabriel- Lobster is as advertised--delicious. Never go there on Xmas eve. We had to wait so goddamn long for a table..

kanghodong baekjeong- Some legit ass Korean BBQ-

Yeah, all the food we ate were the usual. We don't like to stray too much from our regular foods. Pho, eggrolls, maybe some sirloin steaks, maybe some pork, maybe some roast ham, a salad, mashed potatoes, papaya salad, and maybe a pie or two. Nothing too fancy.

We mainly got drunk and nibbled on leftovers and pho broth, lol.

Tanning to make your skin darker? Those are some black African beauty standards.

That said, how many people watch Asian TV entertainment (dramas/variety shows) in here?
Just Terrace House. I'm waiting on Aloha State, but I'm a bit concerned that it might be too American.

Speaking of food...went to a few places over the break..

Newport Seafood in San Gabriel- Lobster is as advertised--delicious. Never go there on Xmas eve. We had to wait so goddamn long for a table..

kanghodong baekjeong- Some legit ass Korean BBQ-
Boston Lobster in San Gabriel is just as good (same good) with less wait.

Tanning to make your skin darker? Those are some black African beauty standards.

Ive mentioned it in the Anime thread but here in SEA I was brought up with the mentality that guys with pale light skins are pansy nerdy nerds who only stay in doors. Where as the real manly men are the guys who are Tan because it means they're the active sporty type who go out there and do work.

So it comes as a surprise to me that the light skin beauty standard now applies to guys too @_@

Toki767

Where are you? I'm in Boracay right now. Cebu in a couple of days.
Currently in Ilocos.

Will probably spend most of my time in Manila though since that's where a lot of my family is.

My cousin is a principal in one of the schools and took a group of teachers from China and their parents to Ilocos so my family just joined along.

I think I'll be visiting Tagaytay after the new year. Then Taiwan and Tokyo after.

Ive mentioned it in the Anime thread but here in SEA I was brought up with the mentality that guys with pale light skins are pansy nerdy nerds who only stay in doors. Where as the real manly men are the guys who are Tan because it means they're the active sporty type who go out there and do work.

So it comes as a surprise to me that the light skin beauty standard now applies to guys too @_@
I'm really pale and a pansy nerdy nerd, so joke's on someone now.

Currently in Ilocos.

Will probably spend most of my time in Manila though since that's where a lot of my family is.

My cousin is a principal in one of the schools and took a group of teachers from China and their parents to Ilocos so my family just joined along.

I think I'll be visiting Tagaytay after the new year. Then Taiwan and Tokyo after.
Ooh, nice. My in-laws mostly see in Manila, but I have a sister-in-law in Cebu. Boracay is just a small break because hell yes, tropical beach.

We did go to Tagaytay last time I was here, about three years ago. I thought it was nice, and we went to this animal place where I held a huge snake.

It's kind of weird that I'm in this nice beach resort in the middle of a poor village. The juxtaposition of wealth and poverty in the whole country is weird to me.

Usobuko

Banned

Not if a guy display athleticism during sports, could dance and has pale skins to boot.

The preference for white skins in guys in my anecdotal experience is real with all things being equal, more so if the girl is actually tanned.

Toki767

Ooh, nice. My in-laws mostly see in Manila, but I have a sister-in-law in Cebu. Boracay is just a small break because hell yes, tropical beach.

We did go to Tagaytay last time I was here, about three years ago. I thought it was nice, and we went to this animal place where I held a huge snake.

It's kind of weird that I'm in this nice beach resort in the middle of a poor village. The juxtaposition of wealth and poverty in the whole country is weird to me.
Yeah, I visited a beach resort and we had to go through all these poor villages to get there.

I did get to go ride through the sand dunes and go sandboarding at night though. That was fun.

I feel like if I'm in Manila all my younger cousins ever want to do there are go to the mall or clubs.

nukedeggs

Honestly it's pretty much all I watch lol.

These days I've been really into Crime Scene, a variety show where they have to solve murders and stuff. Before that I was catching up on W. I also had a phase where I was watching a ton of Baba qu nar and Return of Superman hah. I think next up I'll probably be checking out Society Game.

Well, I think I figured out why my sister's friend gave her my number. I was being set up as the rebound. Ever since she came back from her vacation she started being distant and often posted about her ex on IG.

Welp, bye Felicia. I'm not trying to be no rebound, fam.

What a nice way to end 2016 for me ��

zeemumu

Well, I think I figured out why my sister's friend gave her my number. I was being set up as the rebound. Ever since she came back from her vacation she started being distant and often posted about her ex on IG.

Brutal.

Dude, what was your sister thinking? Good job aborting.

Your family tried to set you up as a rebound? Heeeeh

Seriously :lol

Read this in Nathan Explosion's voice, lol.

Dude, what was your sister thinking? Good job aborting.

I know my older sister and I can tell she never asked her friend why they would want my number. She probably said, "oh your cousin's single? My little brother's single too. Here's his number." My sister probably never even knew that her friend's cousin just got done with a relationship because she never asked her friend about her cousin's situation.

I also know our family friend well enough to imagine her telling her cousin, "girl you need to stop thinking about him. I can hook you up with a guy I know. Somebody to take your mind off of that ex-boyfriend! *hands out my number*"

👌

Yeah, the Hmong teens here are getting taller themselves. Then before they know it, they're gonna be the new manlets Feelsbadman

I'm seeing this myself and I'm pretty happy about it. Tired of us always being the shortest folks everywhere we go. I'm taller than most of my family and relatives and I'm only 5'7, which is nothing to brag about. We need some more six footers in our bloodlines lol.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

As a tan man who moved to Seattle; women definitely want darker skin here than lighter skin.

Rephrase it this way: how many of those "this means XYZ beauty standards" answers would also be fit by the concept that people want "uncommon for that area" standards?

I think sometimes people over think these kinds of things, or have answers that are looking for questions.

mercviper

Chicken feet is tasty but too many bones for my likes. My grandma don't care though, gets them every time lol. As for what I don't like... When they put cilantro in the beef/bbq pork wrapped in flat noodles it kills the dish for me. Also taro cakes. For whatever reason I can't like the taro cakes even though I love turnip cake and taro dumplings. You'd think it'd be a winning combination.

Top Bottom