• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

If you don't mind me asking, what was the settled upon agreement at the end of it? I'm guessing not the $500 "grandfathered plan" but hopefully not $5k either. I had no idea that there were still cultures out there using dowries.

For my wife and I it was $6500. That doesn't include the cost of a lot of other things, but just for her it was that amount. And we once again made a agreement that if anyone from either of our extended families decided to get married, that will be the amount one side will pay the other. No if's, and's, or but's.

As for how common place dowry's are. I always assumed it was pretty commonplace among Southeast Asians minorities because a few others also use it to my knowledge(Mien and Lahu). But it might just be the groups like mines that lived in rural villages isolated from everybody else so we didn't become more modernize in the past decades or centuries. As for the next generation, I told my wife that I don't care for a dowry and would just want my daughter(if I have one) to have the kind of wedding she would want. And many of my peers and those who were born and raised in the US also feel the same way. So this tradition might be a thing of the past in the coming decades.

For my wife and I it was $6500. That doesn't include the cost of a lot of other things, but just for her it was that amount. And we once again made a agreement that if anyone from either of our extended families decided to get married, that will be the amount one side will pay the other. No if's, and's, or but's.

As for how common place dowry's are. I always assumed it was pretty commonplace among Southeast Asians minorities because a few others also use it to my knowledge(Mien and Lahu). But it might just be the groups like mines that lived in rural villages isolated from everybody else so we didn't become more modernize in the past decades or centuries. As for the next generation, I told my wife that I don't care for a dowry and would just want my daughter(if I have one) to have the kind of wedding she would want. And many of my peers and those who were born and raised in the US also feel the same way. So this tradition might be a thing of the past in the coming decades.

Dowries are archaic especially in the American culture. Sadly it's still prevalent amongst all Asian societies and I don't see it going away anytime soon.

SRG01

Dowries are archaic especially in the American culture. Sadly it's still prevalent amongst all Asian societies and I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Hahaha, it's stupidly weird with my family. When both my sisters got married (first to a Chinese husband, second to Caucasian), my family gave gold/jewelry/etc for the new family. I don't even know how this works.

yogloo

Hahaha, it's stupidly weird with my family. When both my sisters got married (first to a Chinese husband, second to Caucasian), my family gave gold/jewelry/etc for the new family. I don't even know how this works.
It's supposed to be the price of the daughter back then. Now it's usually as a gift for the new couple.

SRG01

Ahahahahaa foodie Asian girl. :D

... My Asian ex was definitely not a foodie. Bringing her out to eat was a challenge at first.

Help me Asian-GAF, dramas are taking over my life. Finished Damo and The Man Who Can't Get Married (2006 Japanese version) over the past 2 weeks and I think I've found a replacement for my waning interest in anime. @_@

Gah!! I'm so mad right now.. I was drawing something for a friend, and once I was going to message her the drawing on Facebook..

I found out she either blocked me (for some reason) or disabled her account.

I made the drawing for nothing!! (〒︿〒)

... My Asian ex was definitely not a foodie. Bringing her out to eat was a challenge at first.

I think I'm more of a "foodie" than my fiancee since she just goes along with what I want to eat. I like trying new things, and going to new restaurants (both dives and high-end) and am actively interested in what some chefs are doing but the thing is I despise most self-proclaimed foodies. I don't take pictures of my food (unless it's something I've cooked that I'm especially proud of), as I really find that I want to enjoy the moment. Also a lot of times discussions with foodies (or fouchebags I've come to call them) becomes more of a pissing contest of "oh I've eaten there, I traveled there for this, etc." that it just gives me a headache.

My instagram is filled with food pictures. I do it so I can know what I got at a certain place. I can get it again or try something new.

Yeah you know, my post wasn't meant to lambast others that do take pics of their food, really just my personal feelings on the whole thing knowing some pretty obnoxious foodies. Anyways I don't want to derail this thread about foodies and the whole food pic thing (since there's been plenty of other threads to do that in).

BlueSteel

I'm trying to lose weight and my mom buys mini hotdogs and panda express.

This is the same mom that hated these foods in the past, but is eating them now.

What's going on.

jasonng

You never had macaroons? They're everywhere.

If we're sharing desserts a friend of mine took me to a great dessert bar. I had their green tea tiramisu with coconut shavings:

o.jpg

I also had their macha cake covered in chocolate crunches with raspberry sorbet on the side:

l.jpg

Yes, that's how they serve it and yes that's edible.

You never had macaroons? They're everywhere.

If we're sharing desserts a friend of mine took me to a great dessert bar. I had their green tea tiramisu with coconut shavings:

I also had their macha cake covered in chocolate crunches with raspberry sorbet on the side:

l.jpg

is that a fancy mud cake in a flower pot. that green thing could have been fondant though. or an edible flower.

l.jpg

I love mint leaves. We used to have a ton of them in my backyard until my parents decided they were retards and got rid of them. Now we have tons of fucking mosquitoes, and I don't get to boil mint leaf soup. God I love the taste of mint leaf soup.

jasonng

I love mint leaves. We used to have a ton of them in my backyard until my parents decided they were retards and got rid of them. Now we have tons of fucking mosquitoes, and I don't get to boil mint leaf soup. God I love the taste of mint leaf soup.

Oh wow, I haven't had mint leaf soup since I was a kid. I bet it'll be perfect for my cold too.

Top Bottom