• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Rainy

Banned
I love my Kindle. I had the original, and it worked great. Would have kept it, but my mostawesomestandbestest partner
just discovered he lurks this thread
bought me the Paperwhite... and that one lights up so I can read at night. It's also touchscreen, which is nice.

If you want, I can send you the old one I have. It's sitting on my desk right now being a useless paperweight.

That's too generous of you!

Yeah, you definitely need a Kindle. Paper books are obsolete, as far as I'm concerned.

I've actually moved onto using primarily the app now, though.

To be fair, it's probably not common. The only person that makes it for me is my grandmother.

My family makes it. I love all kinds of vegetable soups.

Here's another favorite of mine.

Watercress soup

SmE6jUN.jpg

Goji soup or Lycium soup.

cdyhybrid

I'm just glad I'm not a Seahawks fan. I would be so goddamn salty.

I'm only salty because Darrell Bevell is still cashing checks from Paul Allen.

I only wish I could be so garbage at my job and get paid as much as he does.

There's not enough alcohol in the world to fix this.

cdyhybrid

I don't know who that is.

I don't care about football, because I'm a horrible American.

Actually, I just don't understand it, AND I HATE IT BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT, so stabstabstabstab.

That's the American way, right, guys?

Also, is there a legal way for me to immediately watch Fresh Off the Boat if I don't have a TV?

A legal steaming method? Hulu, Netflix, or an ABC equivalent?

e4kNi61.jpg

That's Rocky Seto. That's our guy ;-;

Rainy

Banned
I don't know who that is.

I don't care about football, because I'm a horrible American.

Actually, I just don't understand it, AND I HATE IT BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT, so stabstabstabstab.

That's the American way, right, guys?

Also, is there a legal way for me to immediately watch Fresh Off the Boat if I don't have a TV?

A legal steaming method? Hulu, Netflix, or an ABC equivalent?

maybe hulu?

and my condolences cdy, this feels like the goal line shenanigans that prevented us from beating the ravens a few years ago.

cdyhybrid

maybe hulu?

and my condolences cdy, this feels like the goal line shenanigans that prevented us from beating the ravens a few years ago.

It's the exact same thing. Really good team with a really good head coach submarined by a terrible OC.

The Hawks and Niners were truly reflections of each other.

I'm only salty because Darrell Bevell is still cashing checks from Paul Allen.

I only wish I could be so garbage at my job and get paid as much as he does.

There's not enough alcohol in the world to fix this.
Why the fuck would you not try breast mode after he just got you to the two? Feels like someone over thought what play to call.

Why the fuck would you not try breast mode after he just got you to the two? Feels like someone over thought what play to call.

It's exactly what it was. They wanted to drain clock, and Carroll said as much they wanted to waste that play because they didn't want to run against that front, which would've been there the next two downs.

cdyhybrid

It's exactly what it was. They wanted to drain clock, and Carroll said as much they wanted to waste that play because they didn't want to run against that front, which would've been there the next two downs.

It's fucking dumb. You have the #1 defense in the league. I think I'd take my chances with them on a long field since they'd been covering kickoffs well the whole game, instead of trying to throw on the one yard line when our QB had just had four passes picked off last game, many of them tipped off the hands of our receivers.

What monster cuts noodles in between?

You're a monster if you cut noodles.

You mean like biting the noodle to split it since you don't want to eat the whole noodle? I just slurp it whole, I think...

Slurp to the very end! It's the only way. Ever.

Slurping is actually the correct etiquette when eating ramen in Japan I think.

Guess I'll start practicing

Was reading this tipping thread and was wondering how much you guys tipped, and whether that differed by type of restaurant. I live in Canada and I usually tip about 15% at non-Asian restaurants after tax. For Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) I always tip 10% after tax, no more. What about you guys?

Edit: Also, I do not tip at coffee places, ever. What the fuck.

Was reading this tipping thread and was wondering how much you guys tipped, and whether that differed by type of restaurant. I live in Canada and I usually tip about 15% at non-Asian restaurants after tax. For Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) I always tip 10% after tax, no more. What about you guys?

wait. why different for asian places

.i usually tip well above 15%. unless the service is poo and the waiter/waitress is ugly.

cdyhybrid

I tip 25% to 30% for sit down places, including buffets, unless the wait staff is rude or racist.

I also detract points for not being attentive.

Pretty much the same for me.

I used to work retail so I know what dealing with customers can be like, so I try and help those people out a little if they're putting in the effort.

Kikirin

I usually do 15-20% pre-tax for restaurants and haven't tipped for coffee before. Not sure what I would do for bars or delivery.

.i usually tip well above 15%. unless the service is poo and the waiter/waitress is ugly.
My parents have always tipped 10% at asian places. And almost all asian places have been ok with 10%, and many just put mandatory 10%. Toronto, for reference.

I'm always embarrassed when they stick to this 10% at western places, so now I've insisted on paying and do the minimum 15%.

Funny cause this was something I learned back in HK/China when I was back a few months ago:
HK used to tip, but it's dropping. 5%-10% is acceptable, but frankly people just leave change.
China doesn't tip. In fact, leaving money on the table is seen as a bad thing, as if leaving money to beggars on the street.

Of course, both of those rules are ignored if you go to a westernized place in China, like western hotel chains.

15%, fixed, but I also do it so my bill comes out to an even dollar amount. So, if my bill is $10.43, for example, I'll tip $1.57 to make it an even $12. Sometimes that makes it so my tip is a bit more or less than 15%.

I also tip $1 sometimes for take out, but I only do that sometimes.

As for noodles, I'll only slurp when I'm eating at a Japanese place or with Japanese people, since it's rude not to in their culture. I can't actually suck up the noodles, though, so my slurping is just sound, and then I'll quickly shove the rest of the noodles into my mouth with chopsticks or something.

10% is what most Asian restaurants expect here around the Toronto, Markham, and Richmond Hill area. Not sure about places outside of those.
I tip 25% to 30% for sit down places, including buffets, unless the wait staff is rude or racist.

I also detract points for not being attentive.

Jesus, 25-30%. That's huge. How much tax do you pay as well?

Top Bottom