• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

On Hollywood's representation of asians: Used to not care but the older I get the more grating its become. I grew up in the 90s so casual racism was the norm- but now I cant stand coons like Ken Jeong. Shits not funny. Thank god for people like Eddie Huang fighting the good fight.
I feel the same way. When I was younger, it was like, okay, we're a minority here, so I'm not seeing many Asians--whatever. But then, as I grow older, I'm starting to recognize more how we are portrayed not as a minority but as either non-existent at best or a joke at worst. It's really irksome when Asian characters get played by white people for no other reason than to just have a white person play the role. It's also annoying when they concede by casting half-Asian, half-white actors. Also annoying how westernized Asian men don't actually exist in media. Westernized Asians, with unaccented English, are almost always women, and they almost always end up romantically attached to a white character on their respective shows. The older I get, the more I recognize all this, and the more I recognize this, the more it annoys me.

I feel the same way. When I was younger, it was like, okay, we're a minority here, so I'm not seeing many Asians--whatever. But then, as I grow older, I'm starting to recognize more how we are portrayed not as a minority but as either non-existent at best or a joke at worst. It's really irksome when Asian characters get played by white people for no other reason than to just have a white person play the role. It's also annoying when they concede by casting half-Asian, half-white actors. Also annoying how westernized Asian men don't actually exist in media. Westernized Asians, with unaccented English, are almost always women, and they almost always end up romantically attached to a white character on their respective shows. The older I get, the more I recognize all this, and the more I recognize this, the more it annoys me.

Yeah, it bugs me too as I get older.

All our hopes lie in John Cho... I try to watch every sitcom that he lands in but they always fail lol, but at the very least, it looks like that some of those shows were trying to set him up as a romantic lead (Go On, Selfie). And there's also Steven Yuen in Walking Dead.

Pretty sure most of you have seen this, but it hits home so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcVBu3R_ajM

I'll admit I was that shy, nerdy, and bullied kid. Growing older though, it's kind of funny to see how people expect me to bow down to stereotypes. Submissive, hard-working, and never complaining were the ways my mother and father tried to deal with work. They would come home and release their anger out on my brother and I.

I can honestly say that ever since stepping foot into a gym, that "alpha-ness" has kicked up a notch where I'm no longer concerned about what people think.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
YES. This annoys the shit out of me.

Of course, I'm probably being equally bad because I find westernized Asian men to be so goddamn attractive that pretty much everyone else is nonexistent on my romantic radar. Sometimes I wonder if it's partially because I'm subconsciously rebelling against how Asians are treated in America.

I can't wait for a normal Asian couple to pop up on TV and not be either parents & fobs. I never see normal younger Asian couples anywhere in the media.

Saw the pilot; FOB is awesome.

Set a show in LA or the west coast in general and I feel like random asian couples would be almost the norm.

I'm a little more laid back about the portrayal aspect in terms of representation; while we are a higher percentage than ever before - we are concentrated in specific areas for the most part. So a show set in a random suburb in the Midwest? Not expecting that many asians. Show set in LA or Seattle? Should have some.

Unfortunately, I think a large part of the reason asian males tend to not be found in Hollywood is that non asian women really, really don't like dating asian men. (http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/race-attraction-2009-2014/). (Hilariously; those stats imply that black men might be the least racist by a wide margin). The media is merely reflecting how women already act towards asian men. I wonder if your rebelling may be more tied to how asian men are treated by the majority of non-asian women (hence the attraction part).

I'm tired of my ethnicity being portrayed like some "other", something that doesn't fit quite right. Asians are always seen from a Western perspective, and frankly, this is tiresome. I'm tired of the lack of proper multicultural representation. I want Westernized Asians, Asians living in Asia, and fobs in the West to be more prominent in Western media, and presented such that the viewer can truly relate to these characters. Among other reasons, I stay away from a lot of Western media because I'm sick of having my ethnicity being ignored, stereotyped, or treated as a joke.

Saw the pilot; FOB is awesome.

Set a show in LA or the west coast in general and I feel like random asian couples would be almost the norm.

I'm a little more laid back about the portrayal aspect in terms of representation; while we are a higher percentage than ever before - we are concentrated in specific areas for the most part. So a show set in a random suburb in the Midwest? Not expecting that many asians. Show set in LA or Seattle? Should have some.
Right, but that's the problem. It should be the norm, but it's not. For example, Grey's Anatomy is set in Seattle. How many Asian couples do you see on the show? Hell, how many Asian doctors do you see at that hospital? Now that Sandra Oh left, there are zero. And even when she was there, she was the only one.

And guess what? Asian woman married to a white man (albeit dating a black guy toward the end, which I suppose is kind of progressive). Surprise, surprise.

Unfortunately, I think a large part of the reason asian males tend to not be found in Hollywood is that non asian women really, really don't like dating asian men. (http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/race-attraction-2009-2014/). (Hilariously; those stats imply that black men might be the least racist by a wide margin). The media is merely reflecting how women already act towards asian men. I wonder if your rebelling may be more tied to how asian men are treated by the majority of non-asian women (hence the attraction part).
Personally, I believe these problems are linked. Asian men are not perceived to be attractive because we are portrayed by media to be unattractive.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Right, but that's the problem. It should be the norm, but it's not. For example, Grey's Anatomy is set in Seattle. How many Asian couples do you see on the show? Hell, how many Asian doctors do you see at that hospital? Now that Sandra Oh left, there are zero. And even when she was there, she was the only one.

And guess what? Asian woman married to a white man (albeit dating a black guy toward the end, which I suppose is kind of progressive). Surprise, surprise.

Personally, I believe these problems are linked. Asian men are not perceived to be attractive because we are portrayed by media to be unattractive.

I disagree with the last bit; that feels like we are looking to blame media for our biases rather than owning them. Media can influence to some extent; but there is a very real point in that never has it been anything more than a correlation - and never been a causation. Hell, black men never got better after the Cosby show, or the massive popularity boom of sports intermingling with pop culture. Hell, black men got way worse from 2009 to 2014.

Using the OK Cupid data; Black women are rated at a negative 59% across all races of men in 2009. In 2014 (post Beyonce, post Kim Kardashian)? -54%. Out of that increase of 5%, 80% of it (so 4%) is from black men - which ties to the overarching trend of all non-white races liking their own race more positively in that time frame (Latinos and Asians both gaining 4%, the same amount as Blacks).

Unpopular Opinion Alert: The main reason society bags on media about representation and "influence" is rooted in denial. The denial that media reflects what we actually want rather than "influencing" us. Because admitting that media merely reflects popular society and gives people what they ultimately want would mean that we'd have to admit that we're the issue, not some nebulous thing we can blame our personal problems on. Violent video games became popular because violence is popular. But no one wanted to admit that, so they instead blamed violent video games for glorifying violence. This was the undisputed prevailing thought...until years later, when people noticed that violent crimes had been continuously dropping during the rise of violent video games. Oops. Hell, if that were the case, all of us that watched Looney Tunes as kids would be hella racist. Media can amplify pre-existing beliefs; but it is very poor (unless presented as a documentary or historical fact) of creating beliefs.

That OKCupid article proves that to a related extent; as people claimed they are more post racial in polls, etc, we ACT more racist and more territorial than ever before.

I disagree with the last bit; that feels like we are looking to blame media for our biases rather than owning them. Media can influence to some extent; but there is a very real point in that never has it been anything more than a correlation - and never been a causation. Hell, black men never got better after the Cosby show, or the massive popularity boom of sports intermingling with pop culture. Hell, black men got way worse from 2009 to 2014.

Using the OK Cupid data; Black women are rated at a negative 59% across all races of men in 2009. In 2014 (post Beyonce, post Kim Kardashian)? -54%. Out of that increase of 5%, 80% of it (so 4%) is from black men - which ties to the overarching trend of all non-white races liking their own race more positively in that time frame (Latinos and Asians both gaining 4%, the same amount as Blacks).

Unpopular Opinion Alert: The main reason society bags on media about representation and "influence" is rooted in denial. The denial that media reflects what we actually want rather than "influencing" us. Because admitting that media merely reflects popular society and gives people what they ultimately want would mean that we'd have to admit that we're the issue, not some nebulous thing we can blame our personal problems on. Violent video games became popular because violence is popular. But no one wanted to admit that, so they instead blamed violent video games for glorifying violence. This was the undisputed prevailing thought...until years later, when people noticed that violent crimes had been continuously dropping during the rise of violent video games. Oops. Hell, if that were the case, all of us that watched Looney Tunes as kids would be hella racist. Media can amplify pre-existing beliefs; but it is very poor (unless presented as a documentary or historical fact) of creating beliefs.

That OKCupid article proves that to a related extent; as people claimed they are more post racial in polls, etc, we ACT more racist and more territorial than ever before.
I agree in principle, but I honestly think it's also more due to the short time spans of the studies. These beliefs are entrenched and aren't going to change anytime soon, which is why we need to take baby steps like FOB and Black-ish to correct media portrayals of minorities. I really see change happening at a generational time scale, so a study of the last few years of OK Cupid isn't going to show much.

To use your Looney Tunes example, compare those to the cartoons today, and then look at our generation, which grew up with those but are still young enough to be exposed to the newer, more progressive stuff. Then compare our generation to that of our parents, where racist/exclusionary media were the only media available.

I'm tired of my ethnicity being portrayed like some "other", something that doesn't fit quite right. Asians are always seen from a Western perspective, and frankly, this is tiresome. I'm tired of the lack of proper multicultural representation. I want Westernized Asians, Asians living in Asia, and fobs in the West to be more prominent in Western media, and presented such that the viewer can truly relate to these characters. Among other reasons, I stay away from a lot of Western media because I'm sick of having my ethnicity being ignored, stereotyped, or treated as a joke.

Here are a few examples that I've seen recently that have shed Asian men in a more positive spotlight:

-Most of us know Steven Yeun from The Walking Dead, but his character has evolved from a cheeky guy, to becoming an integral part of the group. He's no longer naive, but an experienced killer and won't hesitate to kill.

-I feel that Daniel Dae Kim on Hawaii-Five-O who plays Chin Ho Kelly definitely removed some of the stereotypes of Asian men. He's a pretty badass police officer, but is treated with respect, since he's got the badge and everything.

-Hiroyuki Sanada does a wonderful job on the show Helix, but unfortunately this is not really catered well to the mainstream audience. He plays a facility director who feels no pressure from anyone and has somewhat of a god complex.

-B.D. Wong from Law and Order plays a psychiatrist who is gay, but not the "fabulous" stereotype that Hollywood tends to portray.

-The next Terminator movie stars Lee Byung-hun as the T-1000, but I'm not sure how well his character will be remembered as well as Robert Patrick's character.

-Finally, Benedict Wong in Marco Polo plays a great Kublai Khan and his relationships with Marco is definitely hanging on threads on some episodes. I'll give it to Netflix to actually using the proper settings, and I seriously enjoyed Chin Han playing Jia Sidao.

Hollywood is slow, but it is progressing. There will still be flicks such as Ninja Assassin to continue the stereotypes to this day.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Sorry to break the flow, but I just wanted to rage.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985730

I won't name names, but some fucking idiotic shit in there. Racist posts about Asians go unchecked, because LOLOLOLOLOL PENIS IT'S SO FUNNY IT'S NOT RACIST.

Like, get the fuck out with that shit and grow up, or go back to 4th grade where you belong.

Little microaggressions like those. Ugh. Seriously, those people can go fuck themselves.

GAF has failed me on that post, because the only appropriate response are Ash pictures from Evil Dead 2 / Army of Darkness references.

At this point, it's like arguing the chicken and the egg, no? Either way, regardless of what came first-- now it's a cycle.

Sort of? The issue is that even if you waved a magic wand and had proper representation of Asians in popular culture; the effect it would have on actual society would probably be minimal - because most people wouldn't be ready to accept the change. On top of it; because people wouldn't be ready to accept it, the show would do poorly and get canceled, and it would deter other shows from taking the same risks. So I never like the calls for "well just make awesome asian male roles all the places and things will get better" - because I don't think it will do a damn thing until society as a whole gets used to the idea in their real lives. (See: interracial marriage)

Ugh. That kind of caricature is like a black man playing blackface. The token Asian man in media is usually some sort of William Hung. Even Psy, as talented as he is, basically plays that role. UGH.

Am I glad that my computer can't play YT videos currently? The main leads on Two Broke Girls are supposed to be assholes to a certain degree; so them treating someone badly might not be racism as much as "we're assholes". But I can't see the clip in question currently, alas.

cdyhybrid

-The next Terminator movie stars Lee Byung-hun as the T-1000, but I'm not sure how well his character will be remembered as well as Robert Patrick's character.

I don't see any way his character is as well-remembered as the original. Mostly because Terminator 2 is a pantheon-tier action movie and the new one is probably going to be mediocre.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
First off, thank you both to Septimus Prime and backslashbunny for letting me actually have a decent conversation about this on GAF. I rarely get to have this kind of conversation, especially with other asians, on GAF. I know I have a super weird perspective because I grew up in small-town cornfield Midwest; as opposed to most first generation immigrants.

Also, everyone in this damn thread should give a shoutout to backslashbunny; without her, this thread would not exist. :)

I agree in principle, but I honestly think it's also more due to the short time spans of the studies. These beliefs are entrenched and aren't going to change anytime soon, which is why we need to take baby steps like FOB and Black-ish to correct media portrayals of minorities. I really see change happening at a generational time scale, so a study of the last few years of OK Cupid isn't going to show much.

To use your Looney Tunes example, compare those to the cartoons today, and then look at our generation, which grew up with those but are still young enough to be exposed to the newer, more progressive stuff. Then compare our generation to that of our parents, where racist/exclusionary media were the only media available.

I find it super interesting that no one wants to do a long time span study of the influence of media - I sort of believe they don't want to know the answer to that question. (Also, media is far more pervasive in the last 15-20 years, so there is that part too).

I definitely agree on the generational time scale changes - its why I don't get too upset over the lack of asian leads in shows; hell, we arrived in any significant numbers basically a generation ago. Hell; 70 years ago, this country found it perfectly logical to lock up every Japanese / Japanese descended American in the country in internment camps. That's in someone's lifetime. I'm willing to be patient, and even realize that I may not see the fruits of that progress. But by existing, hopefully this first (big) generation of Asian-Americans can influence the following generation into a level of normalization. Asians will be part of their lives in a much bigger way (both in terms of peers and adults); and I think our generation, as it gets older and gets more influence, will be able to make shows starring asians that speak to everyone.

FOB I think is really good (or at least the pilot is); because the show is about being a fish out of water - something everyone can understand - but with an asian twist. Black-ish is about Americana and the conflict between generational beliefs with an black twist. I think the roles that take very broadly appealing concepts that everyone can identify with and just give them a slight flavoring change is not only the best way to do it, but the most accurate way to do it. If there's one thing the internet has taught me; it is that we are all far, far more alike than we would like to admit. Unify us in our commonalities, rather than targeting us by our differences, would be my plea to modern media representation.

First off, thank you both to Septimus Prime and backslashbunny for letting me actually have a decent conversation about this on GAF. I rarely get to have this kind of conversation, especially with other asians, on GAF. I know I have a super weird perspective because I grew up in small-town cornfield Midwest; as opposed to most first generation immigrants.

Also, everyone in this damn thread should give a shoutout to backslashbunny; without her, this thread would not exist. :)

I find it super interesting that no one wants to do a long time span study of the influence of media - I sort of believe they don't want to know the answer to that question. (Also, media is far more pervasive in the last 15-20 years, so there is that part too).

I definitely agree on the generational time scale changes - its why I don't get too upset over the lack of asian leads in shows; hell, we arrived in any significant numbers basically a generation ago. Hell; 70 years ago, this country found it perfectly logical to lock up every Japanese / Japanese descended American in the country in internment camps. That's in someone's lifetime. I'm willing to be patient, and even realize that I may not see the fruits of that progress. But by existing, hopefully this first (big) generation of Asian-Americans can influence the following generation into a level of normalization. Asians will be part of their lives in a much bigger way (both in terms of peers and adults); and I think our generation, as it gets older and gets more influence, will be able to make shows starring asians that speak to everyone.

FOB I think is really good (or at least the pilot is); because the show is about being a fish out of water - something everyone can understand - but with an asian twist. Black-ish is about Americana and the conflict between generational beliefs with an black twist. I think the roles that take very broadly appealing concepts that everyone can identify with and just give them a slight flavoring change is not only the best way to do it, but the most accurate way to do it. If there's one thing the internet has taught me; it is that we are all far, far more alike than we would like to admit. Unify us in our commonalities, rather than targeting us by our differences, would be my plea to modern media representation.

I agree with your post, and we're definitely pushing into uncharted territory. Stereotypes will continue to exist, but it's a slow changing country. Keep in mind that social media will continue to play a big part in influencing the future and hopefully improve on new shows in the future.

I am definitely interested in watching FOB just to see what the ratio of "seems legit" to "pandering softball BS" is. I'm kind of torn on Black-ish though. It's definitely funny and smart, but also speaks from a position of wealth privilege that troubles me whenever they try and tackle racial issues. I get that it's about how a wealthy black man is trying to deal with a legacy of racism in the US, but it's pretty ridiculous how much his wealth truly insulates him from the majority of problems. In fact, he's mostly been shown to be kind of an over-sensitive idiot about things while simultaneously complaining about a life of luxury that places him in the 1%. It's weird.

I also used to think only Asian women would find me attractive. One of my exes basically propositioned me at a party after we had spent a summer working together and I still had no clue. I don't know if this feeling arose from lack of sex-positive masculine male role models in popular media, or from my own thoughts about being unattractive to women with the few exceptions being Asian.

I've never used to notice things like Asian representation in media and often cringed when people would get hyper upset about it or try to shoehorn things in. But over time I've come to agree that there is an imbalance and bias that should be addressed. The "no young Asian couples" thing is definitely true. Makes it weird to notice in shows set in LA.

New Girl was definitely Asian-less for a while, but recently they've had a few Asian women on. The two actresses were actually pretty low key about the whole Asian thing so that was nice. One of the main characters is also Indian(?), but she doesn't really interact with any other Asians/Indians. Her heritage did come up when she wanted to get married though. So maybe that is realistic! Maybe I'm used to seeing Asian people everywhere because I know a lot of them from college, I go to a lot of Asian restaurants, etc. Maybe there are people in LA that, for some reason or another, rarely interact in meaningful ways with Asian people. If I think about it, I rarely interact with Black people.

So maybe it's not too crazy tho think that someone might not notice that LA is chock full of Asians.

Also thanks BUNNY for stirring up Asian controversy!

jasonng

I can't wait for a normal Asian couple to pop up on TV and not be either parents & fobs. I never see normal younger Asian couples anywhere in the media.
Lost_Jin_Sun_Candidate.jpg

It's funny, when I read the Ken Jeong comment I immediately thought of Two Broke Girls too. The show does ridicule everything and everyone so it's not just Asians. One of the creators, Michael Patrick King, actually said that because he is gay that he has free reign to insult everybody. He's truly a disgusting human being and the show is insulting in every possible way.

The actor, Matthew Moy, looked familiar so I did looked him up. Not long before 2 Broke Girls he played a minor role in Season 9 of Scrubs (the med school "spin off"). Even there, the show embraces the Asian stereotypes but does it positively. To showcase how intelligence is deemed an attractive trait in that world, Moy's character has a hot Australian model chick that just can't get off his dick. It was clever. It's such a drastic difference between the two shows.

But hey, a paycheck is a paycheck I guess.

To be fair they LOST spoilers:
eventually became parents
and
were on their way to America (making them first of planes?) when the show started
. But yes, they were definitely a refreshing couple. That episode in the first season when Sun confessed everything in English was amazing.

Also, that show was the first time I heard that Koreans and African-Americans had issues, so that was interesting.

But having a typical young Asian-American couple in a show would be cool. Hell, just having more Asian-Americans walking around in the background would be cool. Maybe everyone applying for extra positions in movies and TV are white or black?

jasonng

To be fair they LOST spoilers:
eventually became parents
and
were on their way to America (making them first of planes?) when the show started
. But yes, they were definitely a refreshing couple. That episode in the first season when Sun confessed everything in English was amazing.

I know Jin and Sun didn't fit the criteria but I say they're an exception. As much crap people give LOST, I enjoyed how they embraced stereotypes and worked with it. Jin and Sun are definitely the most well written couple in the show. I ended up watching their final scene again. THE FEELS.

Thank you for this thread, Cybit and BSB. I tend to stay away from more serious topics on GAF, but sometimes it's nice to be able to actually discuss things that I feel matter.

One of the largest internment camps, Santa Anita Racetrack, is just up the street from my house. One of my favorite restaurants is a steakhouse that's been around that area since the 20s, and I can only imagine what it must have been like to eat there during the WWII era, with the internment camp just two blocks away. Ironically, now the same city is mostly populated by Asians (it was 60:40 white:Asian when I was in high school, but the white folk tended to be older and rarely seen. I don't know what the split is now, but I'm sure it's tilted the other way).

But anyway, I think the generational thing is exactly why we need to see more minority leads and positive role models. It's by seeing and emulating them that the younger generation will grow up with self-esteem and see the prevailing prejudices of the past were naught but bupkis.

I also used to think only Asian women would find me attractive. One of my exes basically propositioned me at a party after we had spent a summer working together and I still had no clue. I don't know if this feeling arose from lack of sex-positive masculine male role models in popular media, or from my own thoughts about being unattractive to women with the few exceptions being Asian.
I think that's just a male thing, in general. In retrospect, I can see so many potentially romantic opportunities that I passed up because I was too stupid to recognize them. My favorite: I was at this girl's place, at 4 AM. We made heart-shaped pancakes together. And then she asked me to stay over. "Oh, it's okay. I'm just going to go home." FUCK. What the fuck was I (not) thinking!?

I know Jin and Sun didn't fit the criteria but I say they're an exception. As much crap people give LOST, I enjoyed how they embraced stereotypes and worked with it. Jin and Sun are definitely the most well written couple in the show. I ended up watching their final scene again. THE FEELS.

A lot of stereotypes are based on real things, it's just that depth and background are tossed aside for the sake of brevity and/or laziness. LOST was pretty good about avoiding that. And yeah, that final scene...

I think that's just a male thing, in general. In retrospect, I can see so many potentially romantic opportunities that I passed up because I was too stupid to recognize them. My favorite: I was at this girl's place, at 4 AM. We made heart-shaped pancakes together. And then she asked me to stay over. "Oh, it's okay. I'm just going to go home." FUCK. What the fuck was I (not) thinking!?

It happens to all of us. I always thought I was pretty good at reading women until that girl. It turns out I was only good at reading women I was already into (because I think I have a shot).

cdyhybrid

Fuuuuuuuuuck I know this feel.

Although back then I thought no one would find me attractive.

A lot of stereotypes are based on real things, it's just that depth and background are tossed aside for the sake of brevity and/or laziness. LOST was pretty good about avoiding that. And yeah, that final scene...

It happens to all of us. I always thought I was pretty good at reading women until that girl. It turns out I was only good at reading women I was already into (because I think I have a shot).

Flirt with everyone you want until one gives in! Winner!

cdyhybrid

But now you've learned that secretly every person you've ever met really wanted you to love them long time.

It was so bad that I would unconsciously sabotage my own dates. Like, I would be out on a date at a nice restaurant with someone and be subconsciously thinking "There's no way she finds me attractive, I need to be one hell of a charmer".

Fucking hell, I was dumb.

Bunny is full with goodness <3

And if she wasn't already taken I'd be totally claiming ownership >:D

THANKS BUNBUNS

That'd be super hot. :)

But yeah, this thread is really great so thanks to all that have made it interesting to read through.

You're right. Early on in college, I totally missed all the cues. I went to a school with not a large Asian-American community and almost all of my romantic liaisons were with non-Asians and almost entirely initiated by the girl.

Of course, after about 4 years of that in college, I turned things around.

Flirt with everyone you want until one gives in! Winner!

This is my mantra
that I whispered quietly to myself and never actually did.

It was so bad that I would unconsciously sabotage my own dates. Like, I would be out on a date at a nice restaurant with someone and be subconsciously thinking "There's no way she finds me attractive, I need to be one hell of a charmer".

Fucking hell, I was dumb.

Hey, you were me in my 20s! Spend dates trying to be effortlessly charming only to break down in confession overload at the end. Luckily I found someone who actually did find that charming.

That'd be super hot. :)

But yeah, this thread is really great so thanks to all that have made it interesting to read through.

You're right. Early on in college, I totally missed all the cues. I went to a school with not a large Asian-American community and almost all of my romantic liaisons were with non-Asians and almost entirely initiated by the girl.

Of course, after about 4 years of that in college, I turned things around.

Hey, these four years sure have been terrible, what with these non-Asian women throwing themselves at me! I better turn things around and start throwing myself at them! =)

This is my mantra
that I whispered quietly to myself and never actually did.

Hey, you were me in my 20s! Spend dates trying to be effortlessly charming only to break down in confession overload at the end. Luckily I found someone who actually did find that charming.

Hey, these four years sure have been terrible, what with these non-Asian women throwing themselves at me! I better turn things around and start throwing myself at them! =)

I've finally got the confidence to start talking with people. I think it's how a person presents themselves especially when it comes to dating. I've been turned off by people writing in their profile using lines like this:

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you certainly don't deserve to get me at my best,"

It's a valid reason that there are different things that people like, but I can understand how that kind of sentence can put a lot of people off.

I've finally got the confidence to start talking with people. I think it's how a person presents themselves especially when it comes to dating. I've been turned off by people writing in their profile using lines like this:

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you certainly don't deserve to get me at my best,"

It's a valid reason that there are different things that people like, but I can understand how that kind of sentence can put a lot of people off.

Except for the stupidly over-confident last year of high school and first year of college, I've never been comfortable talking to people. Though as I get older, the reason for that has shifted from lack of confidence to not really caring.

And yes, I hate that line. Because those that use it as a license to be bad people.

I find it really hard to be assertive sometimes in real.

:x

My friend is always telling me that I apologise for everything ever, even things that are not my fault. She's like, "It's sooooooooooooo Asian of you!"

Do you guys sometimes get this? Or is it just my friend?

There's no denying we're not well represented in the mainstream media. How and why's already discussed here. Anyone notice anything strange on youtube?

Do you guys feel like some Asian youtube channels tend to force Asian-ness down people's throats? I can't say I've seen all or know all the Asian youtube channels, but the few I bumped into gets really in your face about being Asian. There's nothing wrong with being Asian, but I just don't need it shoved in my face.

These guys are really guilty of that. Their entire shtick is that their Asian. I've seen a few other Asian channels like that. I don't know how pervasive this really is on youtube. It's true the amount of channels I know that are guilty of this can be counted on one hand, but it's just that they bash that fact that their Asian into my face that all I got from the videos is that "we're asian!!!!!!11111"

I never wave the fact that I'm Asian on youtube. People can see I'm Asian within seconds of starting my videos. Being Asian has nothing to do with what I have to talk about.

All of the trailers I've seen, the T-1000 flashed by so quickly that I barely noticed he was Asian.

I find it really hard to be assertive sometimes in real.

My friend is always telling me that I apologise for everything ever, even things that are not my fault. She's like, "It's sooooooooooooo Asian of you!"

Do you guys sometimes get this? Or is it just my friend?

I apologize so much I must be Canadian. It's my go to phrase during interaction. But I say it in such a casual manner that I don't think it comes off as weak or subservient. I'm also not very outwardly assertive, but that's because I'm more laid back. Might be a California thing more than an Asian thing.

I've never been called "soooo Asian" because of it though.

There's no denying we're not well represented in the mainstream media. How and why's already discussed here. Anyone notice anything strange on youtube?

Do you guys feel like some Asian youtube channels tend to force Asian-ness down people's throats? I can't say I've seen all or know all the Asian youtube channels, but the few I bumped into gets really in your face about being Asian. There's nothing wrong with being Asian, but I just don't need it shoved in my face.

Yes and it makes me uncomfortable. But I try to live and let live. If that's what makes them happy, let them post their videos of AZN POWER. Just don't expect me to watch them.

Sorry, I never apologize.

This is oddly related to both things we've been talking about: http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/ra...t-laid-in-hollywood.php#.VNJzC8hU-pw.facebook

Huang: Yeah, but that&#8217;s the thing. There had to be a zombie apocalypse for an Asian dude to get some p*ssy. That dude had to be the last motherfucker.
&#8230;
Rogan: [Shitty things about how white men want to bang Cohan because she&#8217;s the hottest character on The Walking Dead] &#8230; That&#8217;s a big win for Asian culture.
Huang: Yeah, we caught one there.

Obviously, I do apologize.

cdyhybrid

These guys are really guilty of that. Their entire shtick is that their Asian. I've seen a few other Asian channels like that. I don't know how pervasive this really is on youtube. It's true the amount of channels guilty of this can be counted on one hand, but it's just that they bash that fact that their Asian into my face that all I got from the videos is that "we're asian!!!!!!11111"

I never wave the fact that I'm Asian on youtube. People can see I'm Asian within seconds of starting my videos. Being Asian has nothing to do with what I have to talk about.

Yeah, doesn't do anything for me.

But I try to live and let live. If that's what makes them happy, let them post their videos of AZN POWER. Just don't expect me to watch them.

Oh yeah, of course. I'm the same. I mean, there's really nothing in their channel I'm interested, but they have a big following, so good on them. If they want me to watch and subscribe, they have to offer more.

Sorry, I never apologize.

This is oddly related to both things we've been talking about: http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/ra...t-laid-in-hollywood.php#.VNJzC8hU-pw.facebook

Obviously, I do apologize.

I see what you did there!!!! >:O

Oh, yes, i thought i was like CapnBritain, like it's just ... habit of speech??? I didn't realise some people take it as if I'm actually apologising.... :x

I might be Canadian too, come to think of it :D

All of these discussion about Asian representation in the western media has been very interesting! I am one of those horrible people that just accept whatever's on offer, so I haven't really ... uh,... mind it. But now that you guys are talking about it, ... yes, it would be nice to see a more sophisticated approach to representation of Asian roles in mainstream media.

But, sometimes I feel there's spheres. Like, i've been watching Kdramas and stuff, and so I feel like in my sphere, it FEELS like there are Asian representations, cuz I consume that type of media? If you know what i mean?

Sorry. Not following you here. What do you mean?

Like, if you want Asian representations in your media, just consume Asian channels. There's loads of them.

In Asian dramas, and movies, lots of good representations of Asian people. We dont really have to push for Western / Hollywood media to include us... I think I'm explaining it badly, maybe

I just feel like I have access to good Asian representations. ... It's just that they are in Asian media. Ugh. Can someone help me articulate my own thoughts pls :<<<<<<<

orz

Like, if you want Asian representations in your media, just consume Asian channels. There's loads of them.

In Asian dramas, and movies, lots of good representations of Asian people. We dont really have to push for Western / Hollywood media to include us... I think I'm explaining it badly, maybe

I just feel like I have access to good Asian representations. ... It's just that they are in Asian media. Ugh. Can someone help me articulate my own thoughts pls :<<<<<<<

orz
I see what you're saying, but I don't know if I agree, if for no other reason than that I think most westernized Asians don't watch much Asian media and would have to go out of their way to do it. On top of this, westerners consume almost no Asian media (aside from weaboos and their anime), so this wouldn't do anything to help western society accept Asians citizens.

Tuning out of this thread, not on for another 3 hours on the Best Coast. Will post my thoughts afterward.
Arrow? Yeah, it sucks that I have to bail out of show threads at 5 PM. By the time I get to it after it airs here, I'll have missed several pages of posts. The Legend of Korra was the worst. I felt like I would be missing a whole thread's worth of conversation by the time I got to it.

EDIT: Oooh, FOB. I guess this is kind of like a semi-OT thread for that now, huh?

I see what you're saying, but I don't know if I agree, if for no other reason than that I think most westernized Asians don't watch much Asian media and would have to go out of their way to do it. On top of this, westerners consume almost no Asian media (aside from weaboos and their anime), so this wouldn't do anything to help western society accept Asians citizens.

Yeah, true... I guess it's weird how there's so many Asians in western countries and the reverse is not so true. I can only imagine how a white person living in an Asian country would feel about his/her representation in Asian media .... :3

but i digress

Generally, i agree with y'all with regards to western media would benefit much, much, much from a more sophisticated representation of minorities

*nodsnods

jasonng

There's definitely recognition for Korean cinema lately and people are paying attention. Director Park Chan-wook is definitely growing a Western audience if not just for his popular movies but for his western debuts; Stoker and Snowpiercer.

Nothing to write home about but it's a start.

Top Bottom