• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

suzu

Question time, Asian-GAF.

Do any of y'all have light black hair that turns brown (or some other color) when there's any type of light?

This is my hair on my partner's hair, next to a normal lamp. Neither of us dye our hair.

Is this really common? We're both Chinese/Taiwanese, too, so it's not like we're really genetically that different.

I always thought of Asians as having pretty much all black hair unless we were mixed, but I'm 99.999999% sure neither him not I are mixed.

I almost want to dye my hair dark blue, but I'm not sure it'll look good or subtle on my type of hair. I feel like a blacker hair color would pull it off better.

My grandfather had brown hair and one of his sons was also born with it. Brown hair color also showed up in my uncle's kids (and in their children too). My uncle's four siblings (including my mom) all have black hair though. So Idk lol.

Dark blue sounds nice~

Do any of y'all have light black hair that turns brown (or some other color) when there's any type of light?

This is my hair on my partner's hair, next to a normal lamp. Neither of us dye our hair.

Is this really common? We're both Chinese/Taiwanese, too, so it's not like we're really genetically that different.

I always thought of Asians as having pretty much all black hair unless we were mixed, but I'm 99.999999% sure neither him not I are mixed.

I almost want to dye my hair dark blue, but I'm not sure it'll look good or subtle on my type of hair. I feel like a blacker hair color would pull it off better.

I always thought black hair was just in actuality really dark brown b/c when I look at my hair under light, it shows up as a little brown (just something I've noticied- could be a wrong observation). Maybe you should look into where in China your family tree originated from.

Ooops. we had our Laos New Year over the weekend. i should have carried cash just to take pictures of food. i didn't want to be messy and take pictures while they cook.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

My brother's hair looks dark brown in the right light; while as mine looks jet black (we're both fully Indian).

When I was a kid this might have been true, but now I'm never in the sun (seriously, I'm pale like flour, lighter than my boyfriend).

Maybe I have some southeast Asian in me :eek:

Heh, I would do it if I was younger or only in undergrad, but I work in a professional environment and graduate business-sphere tends to be more conservative AFAIK.

MAYBE SOMEDAY WHEN I RETIRE. I'll be a badass 50 year old rocking dark blue hair.

Wait, don't you live in California? I'm surprised my hair hasn't changed a little color living in the sunless dystopia that is Seattle for almost 8 years now. :D How are you never in ze sun?? I've gotten several shades paler since I moved out to Seattle; my brother is really pale, but I've almost caught him. My mom makes me update my XBL avatar one shade whiter every time I come home for Christmas.

I'm already going bald (just turned 30); so I ain't touching my hair with any kind of dye.

I don't know anything about Laos food. Any recommendations?

I do live in California, but I play a lot of video games, work during the day, and then study/go to class at night.

WHAT IS TIME. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE HOURS.

I really want to dye a strand now.... maybe the underside of my hair.

If you want to strengthen your hair, why not henna it :D?

it's basically thai food. LOL so if you had that you basically had lao food.

but i used to like this bamboo and mushroom soup though. "Keng No Mai"

PnILmiX.jpg

and this noodle dish.

AkoshnE.jpg

"khao poon" but i forgot the rest of the name. it's the spicy one with ground fish but others use ground pork/chicken or whatever. and those little blood cubes which i don't use. it uses the vermicelli noodles from the asian market.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I do live in California, but I play a lot of video games, work during the day, and then study/go to class at night.

WHAT IS TIME. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE HOURS.

If you want to strengthen your hair, why not henna it :D?

I feel your pain on more hours. I have bought like 15+ X1 games...and have gotten around to playing none. <sigh>.

Henna is a thought; but I'm pretty sure my genetics are what is up with it. My mom's brother went bald early; and my older brother also had issues.

Apparently it's the "teppan beef" there. Had no idea it would sound like the Japanese word (even though the execution is completely different).
"Teppan" just means metal plate: &#37941;&#26495; or Ti&#283; b&#462;n

The pronunciation is a little off/Japanese, but it's close.

So I just went from regular Joe living in a building in a rural section of Guangzhou to living in a giant luxury building being driven around in a Benz.

Apparently it's the "teppan beef" there. Had no idea it would sound like the Japanese word (even though the execution is completely different).

Well, that caught me off guard. Lol. But hey! At least you found what you were looking for. :)

So I just went from regular Joe living in a building in a rural section of Guangzhou to living in a giant luxury building being driven around in a Benz.

Mengde, you're living the life. Tell us more!

Hi hi

My good friend just complained about his hair, so I thought I ask AznGAF for tips cuz my own hair experience is very different from his...

As long as I've known him he has been rocking that Keanu Reeves' close shave look (the one in Speed). I thought he just liked it that way. But had a convo last night and he actually told me he hates his hair at longer length cuz he said some Asian men's hair would grow sticking out, like coarse bristles ???

Is this true?

If it is, are there lifehax that can make it flowier?

Hi hi

My good friend just complained about his hair, so I thought I ask AznGAF for tips cuz my own hair experience is very different from his...

As long as I've known him he has been rocking that Keanu Reeves' close shave look (the one in Speed). I thought he just liked it that way. But had a convo last night and he actually told me he hates his hair at longer length cuz he said some Asian men's hair would grow sticking out, like coarse bristles ???

Is this true?

Yes. My hair is naturally coarse and curly, for whatever reason. I keep it short enough where that's not usually a problem, but sometimes I still get that little Superman curl.

Hi hi

Is this true?

My hair makes my head look like a koosh ball without product. Only blowdrying it, then using hair glue to mat it down allows me to do anything manageable with it. The struggle is real and my fiancee makes fun of me all the time for it.

My hair makes my head look like a koosh ball without product. Only blowdrying it, then using hair glue to mat it down allows me to do anything manageable with it. The struggle is real and my fiancee makes fun of me all the time for it.

Yes. My hair is naturally coarse and curly, for whatever reason. I keep it short enough where that's not usually a problem, but sometimes I still get that little Superman curl.

ohhh i seee

thanks for inputs. is there any particular hair products that you'd recommend? i might suggest/buy it for friend.

haha kooshball :> cuuute~

Fuck yo benz. Prove to us with a banquet of pictures of banquets of food.

Lunch was pretty ordinary. It wasn't bad at all though. I didn't take pictures because it's rude men.

We only stayed in the luxury building for a day. They've always been good to our family, but we also had plenty of people to visit.

Hi hi

Is this true?

Yes, I'm not Asian, but my hair is actually really poofy when short. It actually sticks up, although you can't really tell in this picture.. It's the only picture I have as well. I haven't had really short hair in a loooong time. Lol

I just had to grow it out long enough, before it finally went down. Then give it some layers. :p

Also, sleeping with a beanie on always helps things out. xD

Edit: Bunny! What the hell is your avatar? Lol

TCG1075C_7.jpg

I always ask my in-laws to get this for me from the Philippines. It has a strong hold, is made for Asian hair, and doesn't really flake.

OOOOH

<3 THANKIE

i think this is what he needs. i'm soooooooooooo gonna be the most awesome friend ever nao :D thanks thanks <3 ebaytiem~

BATTY, i think my friend would love to have even anything close to your hair type.... it looks pretty flowy to me???? his hair is like ... uh.... those scrubbing brush you use to clean with? like sticks out pronouncedly and very coarse.

SRG01

Hi hi

Is this true?

Hair putty works well, but may be a little too heavy for some hair types. I used to use this Boost Powder product (https://www.americancrew.com/products/style/boost-powder) and it works really well.

edit: American Crew has some other products too. They're really good, but kind of pricey.

OOOOH

<3 THANKIE

i think this is what he needs. i'm soooooooooooo gonna be the most awesome friend ever nao :D thanks thanks <3 ebaytiem~

BATTY, i think my friend would love to have even anything close to your hair type.... it looks pretty flowy to me???? his hair is like ... uh.... those scrubbing brush you use to clean with? like sticks out pronouncedly and very coarse.

I use a combination of Joice Ice Spiker Style Glue

and Gatsby Wax (Spiky Edge)

The Ice is basically super glue for my hair and makes the back stay down and the front stay up. The Gatsby Wax is used for fine detail and overall sheen so my hair doesn't look all dried up.

This isn't a great picture but this is what I end up with. Finding a good hair person is also important. Took me forever. If your friend's hair is like mine, then he'll also have problems with the hair on the side of his head sticking out. I fix this by having it cut pretty short, though I do use Ice to slick it down when it gets long. Also, if his hairline is flat like mine (not widow-peaked), then sweeping his bangs to the side can be a problem as the hair in the corners of the hair line will force everything outwards. Keeping those cut a lot shorter than the hair around it helps.

I know that my fiancee can sense this post and is simultaneously rolling her eyes and laughing at me as I type this. And she does think that my unstyled kooshball hair is cute, but trust me, it is the bane of my existence.

jasonng

So I was talking to my baby sis and I learned that she might had been left handed like me. She went through what I went through and was disciplined by her mother to use her right hand and now she's right handed. Anybody went through this as well? I know several friends that went through this with their parents so I know it's not too out of the ordinary. I hated the idea that Asian parents were disciplining their young-ins because they thought being left handed was "wrong" but looking at my sister maybe there's some truth to it.

My sister is growing up to be as stereotypical as an Asian can be. At age 12 she's already getting straight As, plays two instruments (I bet you can guess the two), and is already on her way to being a foodie! My mom did try to get me to use my other hand when I was a kid but she eventually gave up when I had too much difficulty using my right hand. And growing up left handed, I've always felt that I thought and approach things differently compared to my peers. Now I'm wondering if the pivotal point of my life was when I became left handed and if I would be different if I was punished trained hard enough to be right handed.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about or am I nuts?

StMeph

If your friend's hair is like mine, then he'll also have problems with the hair on the side of his head sticking out. I fix this by having it cut pretty short, though I do use Ice to slick it down when it gets long.

YES

My hair will stand up on end if it's cut too short, so I've always maintained longer hair. It also grows in volume (outward) faster than in length, so I have to get it thinned out more often than a trim.

It also makes me extremely wary of trying other/new styles, since I don't think any of them will suit my hair much.

3phemeral

Welcome :)

PLEASE PAY TOLL WITH DELICIOUS FOOD PICTURE.

I miss these. When I was in SoCal Thai Town last, the bakery that made them want kaput.

YAqRUIR.jpg

I mean, you can easily make pandan custard, but there was something about the bread they would use that was delicious. Not the bread in this picture, of course, they would use sweet bao.

mercviper

So I was talking to my baby sis and I learned that she might had been left handed like me. She went through what I went through and was disciplined by her mother to use her right hand and now she's right handed. Anybody went through this as well? I know several friends that went through this with their parents so I know it's not too out of the ordinary. I hated the idea that Asian parents were disciplining their young-ins because they thought being left handed was "wrong" but looking at my sister maybe there's some truth to it.

My sister is growing up to be as stereotypical as an Asian can be. At age 12 she's already getting straight As, plays two instruments (I bet you can guess the two), and is already on her way to being a foodie! My mom did try to get me to use my other hand when I was a kid but she eventually gave up when I had too much difficulty using my right hand. And growing up left handed, I've always felt that I thought and approach things differently compared to my peers. Now I'm wondering if the pivotal point of my life was when I became left handed and if I would be different if I was punished trained hard enough to be right handed.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about or am I nuts?

My cousin definitely experienced this. Now he's ambidextrous but prefers his left still. I couldn't tell you if it changed his personality though.

Like the funeral thing mentioned earlier in the thread, a lot of this stuff is steeped in superstition and I don't see how it's still prevalent in modern culture. Like my mom is smart and intelligent but insisted I move my wedding day because she opened some book that told her that date was a bad one. The venue has been paid for already so that's not happening but yeah, things like where you can even find a book for this years superstitions are /boggle.

YES

My hair will stand up on end if it's cut too short, so I've always maintained longer hair. It also grows in volume (outward) faster than in length, so I have to get it thinned out more often than a trim.

It also makes me extremely wary of trying other/new styles, since I don't think any of them will suit my hair much.

I keep my hair short for a similar reason because at a certain point between short and long I get tufts of hair that just stick out stubbornly when I wake up. And now it's basically stuck at short because if I want longer hair I'm going to have to go through the awkward period at some point to get to it lol.

In high school, I had a teacher whose husband would start writing a sentence with his left hand and simultaneously start at the end of the sentence and write backwards with his right hand and then perfectly join up the two sides. It was insane.

3phemeral

Wait, what is that :eek:?

It's called Pandan Bread. It's a Thai Dessert that uses sweet bao bread and it's stuffed with pandan custard. Pandan is just an extract of pandan leaves, but it has a unique flavor to it that I can't really describe. For some reason, searching for "Pandan custard bread" only shows images of dinner rolls pumped with the custard so I guess that brand I used to buy every week was unique to that bakery.

You can make it by flavoring a custard using this:

And either injecting it into Filipino Pan De Leche, using it as a dip for toasted bread, or going through the effort and actually making the Bao by scratch yourself and steaming it with the custard inside.

It's divine.

Random: But Texas won twice in the The Munchies; People's food choice award! &#12542;(*´&#8704;&#65344;*)&#65417;

Categories: Ramen and BBQ

Ramen Tatsu-ya and Franklin BBQ

We almost had the Food Truck category.. 2nd place is still good. East Side King!

It's from WoW -- two bunnies cuddling.

My partner and I got turned into bunnies so I snuck a bunch of screenshots of my avatar snuggling his ahahahahahaha

Or maybe it's the heart of a virgin child. Take your pick.

Actually now that I look at it, it kinda looks like candy. Or sausage.

That's adorable. :3 Stay adorable!

I didn't know what to think of it. I saw something edible, but you know the colors is what gave me that idea. But now that you sausage.. It's all I see. xD

Looks can be deceiving! It's mostly because of me wearing a hat to flatten it down. I'll take an embarrassing photo in it's natural state to show you! xP My hair is also pretty damn thick though. (´&#65381;_&#65381;`)

Like a mini afro? Hah. I definitely know what you mean.

SRG01

It's called Pandan Bread. It's a Thai Dessert that uses sweet bao bread and it's stuffed with pandan custard. Pandan is just an extract of pandan leaves, but it has a unique flavor to it that I can't really describe. For some reason, searching for "Pandan custard bread" only shows images of dinner rolls pumped with the custard so I guess that brand I used to buy every week was unique to that bakery.

You can make it by flavoring a custard using this:

And either injecting it into Filipino Pan De Leche, using it as a dip for toasted bread, or going through the effort and actually making the Bao by scratch yourself and steaming it with the custard inside.

It's divine.

Pandan is amazing. My ex introduced me to it and it's unlike anything I've ever had in my life.

Update: today is surgery day (she is getting a radical hysterectomy, which removes the uterus, cervix, and part of the vagina. With this type of cancer, this is the only option, according to all the doctors). I'm going to visit after work and see how it goes.

Yeah. I watched a video of the lacroscopic (robot) surgery, and it looked quite interesting. Her surgeon is supposed to be really good, though; he used to be the head of gynecological oncology for UCLA, and she should be able to leave the hospital tomorrow.

Yeah. I watched a video of the lacroscopic (robot) surgery, and it looked quite interesting. Her surgeon is supposed to be really good, though; he used to be the head of gynecological oncology for UCLA, and she should be able to leave the hospital tomorrow.
Sounds promising. Wishing you and your sister-in-law the best, seriously.

Top Bottom