• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

E14OLE6h.jpg

Local Walmart brought in a pallet of Filipino beer just for the mayweather/paquiao fight. Was kinda funny because the worker told us so.

SRG01

Speaking of the red glow, how many of us in the thread are lactose intolerant? I used to not care that I was lactose intolerant, but nowadays it's affecting me more than usual... to the point where I can't eat ice cream anymore :(

Speaking of the red glow, how many of us in the thread are lactose intolerant? I used to not care that I was lactose intolerant, but nowadays it's affecting me more than usual... to the point where I can't eat ice cream anymore :(

Well I can't have milk now. I can still eat ice cream. For now.

Edit: didn't realize bunny is banned again ;_;

I get the Asian Glow, but I guess I'm at least lucky not to have developed lactose intolerance (*knock on wood*). My gf told me like 90% (or something crazy along those lines) of Chinese people end up getting it (she was fine up until college). I'm in my late 20s and can still gulp down a glass of milk without trouble. Living it up while I can. ;-)

I deny that I am, but I think I might be.

Also, I went back to the restaurant I stole my rice blend recipe from last night. I think they added a small amount of purple rice to their blend and changed up the ratio of sweet rice to brown rice. It's definitely stickier than I remember.

simplayer

I get the Asian Glow, but I guess I'm at least lucky not to have developed lactose intolerance (*knock on wood*). My gf told me like 90% (or something crazy along those lines) of Chinese people end up getting it (she was fine up until college). I'm in my late 20s and can still gulp down a glass of milk without trouble. Living it up while I can. ;-)

One of the lucky ones. ;)

yogloo

I can drink max 1 glass of milk before shit hits the fan. I'm fine with ice cream though. (the day I can't eat ice cream would be the day my life not worth living anymore)

i'm not lactose intolerant. i just switched from dairy to nut based milk like some odd years ago. i may go back to milk and see how that goes though. lol.

Went to the Sakura Matsuri at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden yesterday.

Saw a demonstration of the Tea ceremony. Lots of anime fans. Some white guy called me cat girl and I have no idea why.

Someone posted this article

http://www.cinemaescapist.com/2015/04/are-the-huangs-in-fresh-off-the-boat-chinese-or-taiwanese/

on Facebook and I thought it was an interesting read as a Taiwanese-American. I actually didn't know a lot of this stuff despite my paternal grandparents being part of the Nationlists who fled the mainland. I think my maternal grandparents were natives though.
Since Eddie Huang himself is of our generation, there's a good chance he doesn't really care about the distinction enough to write about it in any depth in his memoirs.

Since Eddie Huang himself is of our generation, there's a good chance he doesn't really care about the distinction enough to write about it in any depth in his memoirs.

This might be true, since I have not read his memoir and also don't know much about the split. Newer generations, especially those that immigrated later in life, definitely seem to care and have formed a Taiwanese-American pride thing that I don't quite understand.

But I'm pretty sure the season finale of Fresh Off Boat was not his idea. The concept of not being Chinese enough, representing China in the International Fair, etc., seems like the kind of whitewashing/dumbing down that he has complained about.

Then again, back in the 80s/90s I would probably have reacted the way he did as a kid. I wonder what my parents would have thought though. Putting aside the fact that I don't think my parents would have been as crazy as the TV mom was about losing their cultural identity, I wonder if they would have insisted I rep Taiwan vs China. Both the show and the article I liked make me question how they might have thought back then, vs how the presumably feel now.

Sorry for beating a dead horse (and randomly outting myself as a long term lurker), but being outspoken (and btw, being an outspoken poster does not make for an outspoken person!) and posting what you think is fine in of and itself, but being unnecessarily antogonistic is, er, well, unnecessary which she has been many atimes. If you need to make a point, it is best to do so by shining a light on a point you're trying to bring attention to while not passively aggresively put people down.

The Gal Gadot thread was brutal and she instilled a lot of hostility in that thread about how people were so fat, they forgot what normal/healthy people (Gadot) looked like. It was a very odd discussion overall in a trifle conversation to begin with. Her troubles started from there and have snowballed since. You just don't insinuate that a thread full of strangers who think Gadot was not a physical fit for a role are overweight. You just don't.
Interestingly enough, today, they are saying that Ben Affleck is too fat to be Batman.

Top Bottom