• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm in Korea at the moment, and it's so much easier to get Tinder matches here than in the US. Even from white girls. Interesting. But maybe that's just a side effect of entering any new area.

3phemeral

Then Asian thread reminded me I haven't visited this thread in a while. How's everybody doing?

Enjoying some homemade Khanom Chan (ขนมชั้น):

f00nbO

6ye3yZ

Pretty time consuming to make, but it's oh-so delicious.

Good! A bit meh that it's already Sunday night again, but other than that, pretty good!

Currently binging on daredevil. Very enjoyable series ❤

Oh yes! Daredevil is sooo good! I loved it. :) Makes me excited for all future Marvel Netflix series. :D

Enjoying some homemade Khanom Chan (ขนมชั้น):

I see green sponges. :3

So, how are they like? I expect them to be sweets, heh.

3phemeral

Oh yes! Daredevil is sooo good! I loved it. :) Makes me excited for all future Marvel Netflix series. :D

I see green sponges. :3

So, how are they like? I expect them to be sweets, heh.

They're sweet. Hard to explain what the texture it like, but it's a very thick jello-like dessert that has Pandan and coconut milk flavoring. You make two separate colors and steam them layer by layer. After one layer is done, you add a thin layer of the second batch and alternate until you get several layers.

After it's done, you can eat it warm or cold. I eat it as a whole piece while I know others like to separate each layer.

F3U8oSO.gif

There's a huge bias against Asian men in Western countries when it comes to dating and it makes sense why you'd have more success in Korea.

Zhao_Yun

They're sweet. Hard to explain what the texture it like, but it's a very thick jello-like dessert that has Pandan and coconut milk flavoring. You make two separate colors and steam them layer by layer. After one layer is done, you add a thin layer of the second batch and alternate until you get several layers.

After it's done, you can eat it warm or cold. I eat it as a whole piece while I know others like to separate each layer.

F3U8oSO.gif

God, I love that so much! My mom used to make it when I was still a child and it was really time-consuming but SO good! :)

3phemeral

God, I love that so much! My mom used to make it when I was still a child and it was really time-consuming but SO good! :)

There are few things I would go through the effort of making myself, and that is one of them.

Looks delicious!

BTW, anyone ever had milk pudding? It tastes amazing! I had some when I was in China.

Thanks!

Milk pudding? Judging by pics, it looks like flan. That is not a bad thing at all. I love pudding and custard desserts.

Ocelotte

Neo Member
Fellow Asian here! I was born in Taiwan but I've been living in England for 10+ years.

Has anyone here been mistaken as an international student in university? It happens to me a lot in my university and people get really surprised when they find out I'm fluent in English.

Fellow Asian here! I was born in Taiwan but I've been living in England for 10+ years.

Has anyone here been mistaken as an international student in university? It happens to me a lot in my university and people get really surprised when they find out I'm fluent in English.

Your avatar is sooo cute!

F3U8oSO.gif

I heard to search up pandan. I've actually never had some taste from it, and if I have.. Then I most definitely forgot of it. My grandma used to have these remedies with the leaves that's where most of memory comes from. xP But I have had tasted coconut milk flavored things, which is always sooo good. I'm sure that I'd love this Khanom Chan stuff. :) I'm sure I'd like to try it out when it's all warm. ^^

The process is pretty crazy! All the specifics that goes into making it. How long does it usually take to make?

Just came back home from my one week vacation in Korea. Totally worth it. So much drinking.

Welcome back! :D What did you love most overall from your trip? :3
Besides drinking. :p

bunny has been resurrected!! ψ(`∇´)ψ

Welcome to AsianGAF, Mie. You must now post something food related within 24 hours.
I'm serious.

I have not. Although..
I'm not Asian. ╮(╯▽╰)╭
I've been mistaken for one all my life though from people. <.<

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

When I started college I wanted to put on the fakest thickest accent I could to see if I could get away with it.

3phemeral

I heard to search up pandan. I've actually never had some taste from it, and if I have.. Then I most definitely forgot of it. My grandma used to have these remedies with the leaves that's where most of memory comes from. xP But I have had tasted coconut milk flavored things, which is always sooo good. I'm sure that I'd love this Khanom Chan stuff. :) I'm sure I'd like to try it out when it's all warm. ^^

The process is pretty crazy! All the specifics that goes into making it. How long does it usually take to make?

I've never had it used outside of desserts, so my opinion on Pandan isn't tainted :p Cough Syrup is the reason why I can't stand any grape-flavored anything.

As for the process, in total it takes about an hour and a half (this last batch, at least). But if you had a larger steamer, it would be easier. We used a small circular tin that was about an inch and a half deep. That and a small bowl for what batter was left. The most time-consuming aspect is basically, after you get all the ingredients mixed, is pouring it slowly into the pan sitting in a bamboo steamer atop a giant pot of boiling water. The reason you pour slowly is because of how viscous the batter is and its tendency to spread thin when it starts to warm up. This way you get the right kind of thickness for each layer. Then, after that starts to congeal, you do the next layer in the same way and alternate until you get 7 or more layers.

That is, if you're particular with how it the layering comes out. You could very well be done in 30 minutes or so if you just plopped it in and swirled it around. Might actually make a cool marbled Khanom Chan.

suzu

Welcome!

Sometimes people will be surprised that I don't have an "Asian accent".
It's especially dumb when they already know that I was born here (in the US) and have been speaking English my entire life.

Cough Syrup is the reason why I can't stand any grape-flavored anything.

ME TOO.

Zhao_Yun

I tend to get commended for my German as well until they realize that I was born here :)

jasonng

Enjoying some homemade Khanom Chan (&#3586;&#3609;&#3617;&#3594;&#3633;&#3657;&#3609;):

I LOVE these! God I love Thai food so much.

I'll trade you the egg tart I have right now for one. Please.

Ocelotte

Neo Member
bunny has been resurrected!! &#968;(&#65344;&#8711;´)&#968;

Welcome to AsianGAF, Mie. You must now post something food related within 24 hours.
I'm serious.

I have not. Although..
I'm not Asian. &#9582;(&#9583;&#9661;&#9584;)&#9581;
I've been mistaken for one all my life though from people. <.<

Thanks!

AH UH UM-
Oyster-Vermicelli.jpg

Oyster vermicelli, anyone??

That doesn't sound too bad! I'd rather be mistaken as being from a different ethnicity instead of being assumed that I can't speak English well. OTL

When I started college I wanted to put on the fakest thickest accent I could to see if I could get away with it.

LOL. Did you go through with it in the end?

Welcome!

It's especially dumb when they already know that I was born here (in the US) and have been speaking English my entire life.

Thanks!
Yeah, I know how that feels. D: I've heard of British Asians being accused of faking a British accent, but it's literally their natural accent. My accent is a mix of American and British with a hint of Asian - it confuses people sometimes.

I tend to get commended for my German as well until they realize that I was born here :)

That happened to me once!

"Wow, your English is really good!"
"Uh yeah I've been living here for over 10 years."
"...Oh."

Szu

Welcome!

Whoa, I finally met another Gaffer with a similar username and also Asian. And living in the US.

suzu

I've been around for awhile, although I don't really post much. Oh and you're from NY too, hah. o/

That bowl of oyster vermicelli looks gooood.

Fresh Off The Boat got renewed.

Interestingly enough, I found this article on my Facebook feed. It talks about a statement he made in an interview that some are claiming highlights a problem with misogyny (specifically against black women). I think his initial statement was taken out of context, but his Twitter responses did seem pretty stupid. It seems like Eddie is not a very PC kind of guy, but I don't think he is a raging misogynist. At least, not any more so than the average guy growing up in the US. Of course, that in itself might be a problem, especially for someone as visible as he is.

cdyhybrid

Interestingly enough, I found this article on my Facebook feed. It talks about a statement he made in an interview that some are claiming highlights a problem with misogyny (specifically against black women). I think his initial statement was taken out of context, but his Twitter responses did seem pretty stupid. It seems like Eddie is not a very PC kind of guy, but I don't think he is a raging misogynist. At least, not any more so than the average guy growing up in the US. Of course, that in itself might be a problem, especially for someone as visible as he is.

He would have been fine if he just clarified his statement instead of getting all defensive about it. Some people just have no chill though :p

He would have been fine if he just clarified his statement instead of getting all defensive about it. Some people just have no chill though :p

Definitely agree. But does the fact that he responded the way he did show that maybe the statement comes from a place of misogyny? Honestly, it's just refreshing to hear Asians being brought up in these kind of discussions.

I can understand why Eddie's pissed off(I don't think he's right though). The woman called her out on his statement despite knowing what he was getting at. She tried to tell him that he needed to clarify because it could be construed as insulting to black women. But in his mind he lost it already at "she knows what I'm saying...why the fuck is she complaining?"

Yeah I can see why he's annoyed but his response is completely wrong. That and getting accused of appropriating black culture by a black woman is probably the biggest button you can push with him.

I can understand why Eddie's pissed off(I don't think he's right though). The woman called her out on his statement despite knowing what he was getting at. She tried to tell him that he needed to clarify because it could be construed as insulting to black women. But in his mind he lost it already at "she knows what I'm saying...why the fuck is she complaining?"

Yeah I can see why he's annoyed but his response is completely wrong. That and getting accused of appropriating black culture by a black woman is probably the biggest button you can push with him.

Yeah, he may be a big voice for Asian-American representation right now, but maybe his personality just isn't suited for it in the long run. I don't understand how being asked to clarify your potentially offensive statement would be a "button" for someone. But being in the public eye has probably made him pretty tired of having his every word analyzed.

I definitely think that Eddie is helping to fight against the emasculation of Asian men. But I also think that on the surface, he is doing it by appropriating western and hip hop culture, both of which can contain potentially troublesome elements.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah, he may be a big voice for Asian-American representation right now, but maybe his personality just isn't suited for it in the long run. I don't understand how being asked to clarify your potentially offensive statement would be a "button" for someone. But being in the public eye has probably made him pretty tired of having his every word analyzed.

I definitely think that Eddie is helping to fight against the emasculation of Asian men. But I also think that on the surface, he is doing it by appropriating western and hip hop culture, both of which can contain potentially troublesome elements.

Considering the escalation started when BGD called him an "idiot"; I'm going to side with Eddie on this one. She revealed her intentions when she admitted she knew what he meant.

What's the difference between western and hip hop culture? I just want to know which culture Eddie speaks for.

Western culture is probably American or "white" culture as a whole. Hip hop culture is pretty self-evident. I think fighting against Asian-American male emasculation by just having AA men act like and be treated like they were masculine men as defined in conventional western culture could be problematic because there is definitely a patriarchal aspect to it. And the same thing applies when you try to have AA men act like and be treated like they are masculine men as defined in hip hop culture.

Considering the escalation started when BGD called him an "idiot"; I'm going to side with Eddie on this one. She revealed her intentions when she admitted she knew what he meant.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. The article I read showed an edited version of the Twitter exchange. I hunted down a full one ( I hope?) here.

In the full exchange, Eddie basically tries to clarify his statement in a calm manner. He's not overly friendly and he stands his ground on his statement, but there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Then he begins to get subtly attacked for not automatically apologizing and conceding the point.

At one point, he responds by saying someone isn't apparently not well read in response to that person earlier saying that they were. It's a bit of snark, but not really that bad considering the exchange so far. From that remark, he is then called an asshole and a sellout. Even after this he tries to take the high ground, but the other people in the conversation start turning mean. After many message his way with increasing disrespect, he finally gives up the ghost and just babytalks them.

Not the best way to handle it, but honestly, they didn't deserve to be treated like adults. He probably just should have walked away.

I have a lot more respect for him now and am sad that there are people out there that are trying to spin this twitter argument against him.

Edit:
He goes off the rails at the end, which is his mistake. It's like if someone continually slaps you, and then you punch them. BGD, the initial tweeter, seems like a terrible internet lynch mob type person. She is what the Social Justice Warrior label is supposed to caricature.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Wow, thanks for pointing that out. The article I read showed an edited version of the Twitter exchange. I hunted down a full one ( I hope?) here.

In the full exchange, Eddie basically tries to clarify his statement in a clam manner. He's not overly friendly and he stands his ground on his statement, but there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Then he begins to get subtly attacked for not automatically apologizing and conceding the point.

At one point, he responds by saying someone isn't apparently not well read in response to that person earlier saying that they were. It's a bit of snark, but not really that bad considering the exchange so far. From that remark, he is then called an asshole and a sellout. Even after this he tries to take the high ground, but the other people in the conversation start turning mean. After many message his way with increasing disrespect, he finally gives up the ghost and just babytalks them.

Not the best way to handle it, but honestly, they didn't deserve to be treated like adults. He probably just should have walked away.

I have a lot more respect for him now and am sad that there are people out there that are trying to spin this twitter argument against him.

A very extreme "ends justify the means" streak has taken over a lot of these types of conversations; that's why I've sort of withdrawn from my normal social justice crowds. Editing conversations and pulling stuff out of context is the norm now, unfortunately.

Also, asians and african americans definitely have their own strong racial tension in this country as well. I fully expect a massive outcry next fall (with several new shows with asian characters coming) from some in the african-american community against those shows (couched in cries of misogyny and sexism).

See: http://www.npr.org/2015/04/30/40323...etween-african-americans-and-asian-owned-busi

He definitely should've walked away from that. The "let me take you out for sushi" part was just the type of response that BDG was looking for. Also, I just went over and read the exchange again and it feels like a mountain was made from a mole hill.

A very extreme "ends justify the means" streak has taken over a lot of these types of conversations; that's why I've sort of withdrawn from my normal social justice crowds. Editing conversations and pulling stuff out of context is the norm now, unfortunately.

Also, asians and african americans definitely have their own strong racial tension in this country as well. I fully expect a massive outcry next fall (with several new shows with asian characters coming) from some in the african-american community against those shows (couched in cries of misogyny and sexism).

See: http://www.npr.org/2015/04/30/40323...etween-african-americans-and-asian-owned-busi

Jesus I had no idea. Thanks for the link, it's pretty heartbreaking. I wasn't in LA for the riots but I've heard stories about what went down in Koreatown. Actually, I think the first time I heard about Asian-American and African-American tensions was in Lost. I think Michael said something like "where I come from people like you don't like people like me." Never knew the history behind this stuff. Is it mostly from the LA Riots? Is it mostly with Koreans and the rest of us East Asians have just been lumped in?

He definitely should've walked away from that. The "let me take you out for sushi" part was just the type of response that BDG was looking for. Also, I just went over and read the exchange again and it feels like a mountain was made from a mole hill.

It was a mountain out of a mole hill, then BDG refusing to converse rationally and just trying to incite an internet mob on him. At the end, she was blaming people who were consoling her privately for not hating on Eddie publicly. It was ludicrous.

This is the first time I've ever wanted to wade into Internet arguments.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Jesus I had no idea. Thanks for the link, it's pretty heartbreaking. I wasn't in LA for the riots but I've heard stories about what went down in Koreatown. Actually, I think the first time I heard about Asian-American and African-American tensions was in Lost. I think Michael said something like "where I come from people like you don't like people like me." Never knew the history behind this stuff. Is it mostly from the LA Riots? Is it mostly with Koreans and the rest of us East Asians have just been lumped in?

My mostly uninformed speculation would be that it might be tied to the entire model minority thing. As far as many minorities are concerned, asians are treated way better by white people and are doing better. Wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with a combo of othering and jealousy. But I'm not informed on that front, alas.

It was a mountain out of a mole hill, then BDG refusing to converse rationally and just trying to incite an internet mob on him. At the end, she was blaming people who were consoling her privately for not hating on Eddie publicly. It was ludicrous.

This is the first time I've ever wanted to wade into Internet arguments.

Oh I think she was definitely baiting him and the call to arms at the end showed her true malicious intent. While I could point out that Eddie could've handled it better, a calmer more diplomatic response just goes against the grain of who he is and what he stands for.

Oh I think she was definitely baiting him and the call to arms at the end showed her true malicious intent. While I could point out that Eddie could've handled it better, a calmer more diplomatic response just goes against the grain of what he is and stands for.

Yes, he could have handled it better. Of course, the other people involved could have not been aggressively antagonistic. It's like saying, you shouldn't have slapped the person beating the shit out of you.

I'm not really knowledgeable about twitter and social media in general, so I'm not sure if my perception of this twitter argument being spun against Eddie is a thing or not. I would hope that people are more level-headed.

Top Bottom