• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

SRG01

My mostly uninformed speculation would be that it might be tied to the entire model minority thing. As far as many minorities are concerned, asians are treated way better by white people and are doing better. Wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with a combo of othering and jealousy. But I'm not informed on that front, alas.

Eh, I wouldn't say Asians are treated better than any other minority. Model minority also carries the expectation of submission, so any Asian person who is remotely seen to be independent is automatically shunned or brushed off in Western culture, unless there was an overwhelming symbol of status or power.

Erheller

My mostly uninformed speculation would be that it might be tied to the entire model minority thing. As far as many minorities are concerned, asians are treated way better by white people and are doing better. Wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with a combo of othering and jealousy. But I'm not informed on that front, alas.

There was a ton of rhetoric in the 1960's - ish media comparing the "good" minority, Asians, with the "bad" minorities, blacks and Hispanics. This is obviously bullshit, of course, but established the model minority stereotype and increased tensions between Asians and other minority groups.

From a 1960's US News report: "At a time when it is being proposed that hundreds of billions be spent on uplifting Negroes and other minorities, the nation's 300,000 Chinese Americans are moving ahead on their own with no help from anyone else." This ignores the fact that the poverty rate among Chinese was not much lower than among other minorities, as well as the fact that most of the well-off Chinese Americans were well-educated immigrants.

I'll have to do some digging, but I *think* I remember a book saying that Nixon proposed to decrease welfare funding, and used the success of Asian Americans to justify it. Obviously, this upset a lot of people who (rightfully) deserved it.

Rainy

Banned
Pfft, that's nothing for us. When you're 32, you still look 23.
TRUE. My parents are in their 50s but still look quite young, hopefully I got those genes :)

^lol
Happy birthday!
Thanks!

Happy birthday!

Wait til the day you stop getting carded all the time (for me, that was around 30). It's like, "Wait. Did he forget to card me? What?" And then you realize that you're old.
I dread the day! And thanks!

I'm surprised no one posted this.

the-average-asian-aging-process.jpg

SRG01

Happy birthday!

Wait til the day you stop getting carded all the time (for me, that was around 30). It's like, "Wait. Did he forget to card me? What?" And then you realize that you're old.

This is why I refuse to shave weeks on end. I realize that I look much better if I'm clean shaven, but I'm tired of being mistaken as a college freshman -____-

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I like how most of the time I pop in to visit, I see it's mostly food discussion :) We take our food seriously, guys !

Speaking of food, we just got a Dolphin Bay restaurant right down the street from me. Apparently they're originally a SoCal restaurant with a couple locations already?

3phemeral

Never heard of it either. Must be a relatively new place for SoCal as the most common boba places I know are Cha for Tea, Ten Ren, Lollicup and Tea Station.

Never heard of it either. Must be a relatively new place for SoCal as the most common boba places I know are Cha for Tea, Ten Ren, Lollicup and Tea Station.
Are you near Irvine, by any chance? That's the only Cha for Tea I know of that's still around, since they closed the Alhambra one. Cha for Tea, Ten Ren, and Tea Station are all the same company though--just different brands.

There are so many of these places in SoCal that it's hard to keep track.

3phemeral

Are you near Irvine, by any chance? That's the only Cha for Tea I know of that's still around, since they closed the Alhambra one. Cha for Tea, Ten Ren, and Tea Station are all the same company though--just different brands.

There are so many of these places in SoCal that it's hard to keep track.

I'm not in Cali anymore but I visit family once a year. I was told Cha for Tea in Alhambra moved but I do know of the one nearby UCI in that little plaza across from that kebob place. I'm surprised Lollicup is still around by the Super A market.

I didn't know they were the same company but it makes sense. Cha for Tea across from Edward's Cinema used to be a Tea Station. Strange that they'd be different companies because they have different drink recipes if I remember correctly.

I thought the Boba craze died down so I'm surprised they're still popping up.

They're coming up in new places. Torrance, for example, has some new ones, when just a few years ago, it was Tea Station and the Vietnamese Bahn Mi place that also sold boba drinks.

Chinese bakeries, like 85 C, seem to be the new trend.

Rainy

Banned
Speaking of food, we just got a Dolphin Bay restaurant right down the street from me. Apparently they're originally a SoCal restaurant with a couple locations already?
Dolphin Bay is good because you pay 2 dollars for 2 milk teas with boba. Not sure if your location does that though. When I lived in SoCal for undergrad, my friends used to always swing by to take advantage of that deal.

Moving to Philadelphia in a few months, any boba places around there? There must be right.

3phemeral

Hmm, interesting. Chinese Bakeries deserve to get more recognition. There was one small bakery I'd visit that was pretty hole-in-the-wall-ish off of Valley that I don't know i it exists anymore. There's also Diamond Bakery in Monterey Park that's popular. Maybe Japanese bakeries should hitch a ride, I could always use more Green Tea muffins and Melon Pan.

Rainy, Happy Belated Birthday! ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ

My birthday is in May as well!

I've never had it used outside of desserts, so my opinion on Pandan isn't tainted :p Cough Syrup is the reason why I can't stand any grape-flavored anything.

As for the process, in total it takes about an hour and a half (this last batch, at least). But if you had a larger steamer, it would be easier. We used a small circular tin that was about an inch and a half deep. That and a small bowl for what batter was left. The most time-consuming aspect is basically, after you get all the ingredients mixed, is pouring it slowly into the pan sitting in a bamboo steamer atop a giant pot of boiling water. The reason you pour slowly is because of how viscous the batter is and its tendency to spread thin when it starts to warm up. This way you get the right kind of thickness for each layer. Then, after that starts to congeal, you do the next layer in the same way and alternate until you get 7 or more layers.

That is, if you're particular with how it the layering comes out. You could very well be done in 30 minutes or so if you just plopped it in and swirled it around. Might actually make a cool marbled Khanom Chan.

Oh, well at least you got to experience it within food. Better than what I had, haha. Oh yeah? Same with me! Except it's with cherry flavored things... Bleh. Nasty.

Dang, that long? Basically it's the time consumption of 'perfecting' each layer of that batter into the right amount, while not letting get into such a thin base. Seems like a lot of patience is needed, since things can go wrong if rushed. That's pretty interesting. I also was checking out images of it and noticed that compared to ones that I've seen, yours is a vibrant green. It's actually a lot more appealing.

Thanks!

AH UH UM-
Oyster-Vermicelli.jpg

Oyster vermicelli, anyone??

That doesn't sound too bad! I'd rather be mistaken as being from a different ethnicity instead of being assumed that I can't speak English well. OTL

You're welcome. :3

Oi. That looks pretty damn good... Now I'm hungry once more, and I just ate a whole pizza and elote. (&#65507;< &#65507;)> Why must I have this black hole for a stomach!

Yeah, but you start second guessing yourself. You don't know how many times I thought to myself if I was adopted. My family is dark skin, short, a bit on the chubby side. I'm the opposite to that, and my food taste goes in completely different direction from everyone. Lol

Rainy

Banned
In the Bay Area, Paris Baguettes are starting to pop up like wildfire over Chinese bakeries.
I think the nearest one to me is in Palo Alto, should see where some other locations are though.

Oh I thought I typed it out in my last message. Happy birthday!! :3

Rainy, Happy Belated Birthday! &#12542;(*´&#8704;&#65344;*)&#65417;

My birthday is in May as well!

Thank you! Also Bat, when is yours?

jasonng

Fuck this dad bod trend. I'm stuffing my face with carts full of cha siu baos but the asian diet doesn't carve this body type. Just another advantage effing gweilos have over us asian guys. Just take our women already.

UGH

You're welcome!

My birthday is on the 26th of this month. Funny, because I actually have two friends with the same birthday as me. One is the same age as me, and the other is two years younger. xP

My sister's birthday! It's a good date, as Memorial Day weekend usually lets us get together. Have a happy one!

Fuck this dad bod trend. I'm stuffing my face with carts full of cha siu baos but the asian diet doesn't carve this body type. Just another advantage effing gweilos have over us asian guys. Just take our women already.

UGH

Hey man, I have a dad bod and it's really rough fighting against it. Although I guess that's because I have an American diet and swim. And from my own experiences, the dad bod love is a myth...

What is the long term effects of having a dad bod? Does it maintain itself through old age, or does it slowly morph into Jabba The Hut territory? Will my Asian genes save me?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I love you all.

Please stay away from the OT thread about Harvard admissions. You will want to strangle someone.

I was reading an article the other day about how New York is prosecuting this cop for accidentally shooting a person, and the cop happens to be Asian. Then I realized what type of reactions a thread like that would get and decided not to post shit.

EDIT: Damn, I skimmed it. Damn.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The Harvard thread definitely seems like a land mine.

It is. I've had a few drinks and a friend of mine (who is half hispanic and half asian) and I are talking about it; that should get it out of my system (she's torn about it) - but that thread will get a few of us banned I suspect. You're most likely not going to convince anyone already posting in the thread.

Work hard, get money, enjoy life (last two not necessarily in order).

I would imagine most of us went through this kind of thing (or at least were aware of it) when we were applying to schools. I know I was quite tempted to not declare my ethnicity on some of my applications back then (not that it mattered, given my name).

I personally think it would just be nice if they were transparent about admissions standards and what criteria applicants needed to fulfill.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I would imagine most of us went through this kind of thing (or at least were aware of it) when we were applying to schools. I know I was quite tempted to not declare my ethnicity on some of my applications back then (not that it mattered, given my name).

I personally think it would just be nice if they were transparent about admissions standards and what criteria applicants needed to fulfill.

Yeah; it's just amusing watching the thread try to deflect / shield / claim it's anything besides racism. Just own it for chrissakes.

Sadly; the quota policies absolutely hose first generation immigrants - money > race, except people are bad at analysis in this country (or more accurately, are completely unable to separate correlation from causation and/or are in a heap of denial), and so those immigrants who come here and have no wealth are arguably the single most hosed subsection of race in the country. Because they're asian, racism "doesn't happen" (hah), and because they're poor, they're denied opportunity at a similar rate to african americans and hispanics.

Top Bottom