• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

cdyhybrid

Don't really feel like getting into a big thing over it, but I feel like they're not going after the real problem. Lessen/remove the outside influence of white, uber-rich, legacy elite and you'd solve a lot of the problems facing *all* minorities.

Not going to happen because C.R.E.A.M., but that's the ideal.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Don't really feel like getting into a big thing over it, but I feel like they're not going after the real problem. Lessen/remove the outside influence of white, uber-rich, legacy elite and you'd solve a lot of the problems facing *all* minorities.

Not going to happen because C.R.E.A.M., but that's the ideal.

No one wants to lessen that influence because they all want to be in the position of giving that influence. :(

Speaking of that thread. I'm surprised to see only one ban in there.

Happy Birthday May Babies.

Mine is this Sunday. (y)

Yay! May 'Da Best.

Happy Early Birthday! Hope you have a great day Sunday! Just in case I'm not around

My sister's birthday! It's a good date, as Memorial Day weekend usually lets us get together. Have a happy one!

What is the long term effects of having a dad bod? Does it maintain itself through old age, or does it slowly morph into Jabba The Hut territory? Will my Asian genes save me?

Oh yeah? That's awesome! She's awesome, hah. Oh definitely! I loved the moments when I got the day off from school to celebrate my birthday.
Playing games all day.
Thank you! I hope you have a great one with your sister as well! ^^

Not even your Asian genes can save you from the American Diet. It's too overwhelming. We knew thee well, CapNBritain. *salutes*

Not even your Asian genes can save you from the American Diet. It's too overwhelming. We knew thee well, CapNBritain. *salutes*

I'm now supplementing my American diet with traditional asian food in an attempt to stave off my inevitable descent into fatness. Eating 2 packs of instant ramen for lunch.
At least it's the Asian kind, and not Top Ramen or whatever the junk they sell at Ralphs.

jasonng

Hey man, I have a dad bod and it's really rough fighting against it. Although I guess that's because I have an American diet and swim. And from my own experiences, the dad bod love is a myth...

Aren't you engaged? I rest my case.

On topic, I'm an idiot. So for the longest time I thought the small stand on Main St, Flushing (NYC) that sells Peking duck in buns for $1 got closed down. Turns out it was still in the same location but renovated to be inside the store. So I had this goodness to go with my dinner today.

i4F6lfcl.jpg

Blurry pic but oh so good. The fung shui of the store itself is horrific and people there are complete savages but I love getting my take out there. The bun was the highlight of my day.

Is bunny ever coming back? ;___;

Edit: I guess she is back, well then.

I'm now supplementing my American diet with traditional asian food in an attempt to stave off my inevitable descent into fatness. Eating 2 packs of instant ramen for lunch.
At least it's the Asian kind, and not Top Ramen or whatever the junk they sell at Ralphs.

Traditional Asian food, yet, talks about eating instant noodles. xD No, but you're right, Top Ramen/Maruchan are bleh. These are my personal favorites for instant noodles:

On topic, I'm an idiot. So for the longest time I thought the small stand on Main St, Flushing (NYC) that sells Peking duck in buns for $1 got closed down. Turns out it was still in the same location but renovated to be inside the store. So I had this goodness to go with my dinner today.

I had to that look that up, but man does it sound delicious! That sounds right up my alley for something that I would love. I wonder if I can find a place that has it here...

Lucky that the place is still around for you to enjoy!

Aren't you engaged? I rest my case.

i4F6lfcl.jpg

Blurry pic but oh so good. The fung shui of the store itself is horrific and people there are complete savages but I love getting my take out there. The bun was the highlight of my day.

I am engaged. Have hope single people. There are plenty of people out there with low-ish standards! Dad bod love is a thing!

And that bun looks delicious.

Traditional Asian food, yet, talks about eating instant noodles. xD No, but you're right, Top Ramen/Maruchan are bleh. These are my personal favorites for instant noodles:

Mama is GOAT.

For some reason it is really hard to find good Chinese Food in the Valley or West LA. Sure I can always head to Pasadena but I'm lazy.

For some reason it is really hard to find good Chinese Food in the Valley or West LA. Sure I can always head to Pasadena but I'm lazy.

I know the feeling. There's only one decent Chinese place I know of on the Westside and I feel like they're a bit on the overpriced side.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/roc-kitchen-los-angeles-3

Their beef noodle soup is a bit too salty though. I just go their for the XLB's every once in awhile.

i4F6lfcl.jpg

Wait, so it didn't close down?

Best news ever. I need to hit it up next time I go to NY

I know the feeling. There's only one decent Chinese place I know of on the Westside and I feel like they're a bit on the overpriced side.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/roc-kitchen-los-angeles-3

Their beef noodle soup is a bit too salty though. I just go their for the XLB's every once in awhile.

Sawtelle is the only good area in West LA for that kind of food. A new Chinese/Dim Sum place also just opened up there. But everything on Sawtelle is so expensive because they know they're the only good food in the area. And the parking sucks.

Sawtelle is the only good area in West LA for that kind of food. A new Chinese/Dim Sum place also just opened up there. But everything on Sawtelle is so expensive because they know they're the only good food in the area. And the parking sucks.

Parking's not that bad... I find parking two blocks down in the residential area fairly easily. I'm glad to see more Chinese places popping up but unfortunately price is an issue (Of course I'd argue that outside of fast foot, eating out anywhere on the West side is just too expensive) .

Forget Pasadena. Monterey Park is where you want to be.

Both are just too far especially in LA traffic.

Yeah that whole Asian area east of LA. They all run together in my head. Does anyone actually live there? Is there a reason to do so once you take the amazing food out of the equation?

Well a ton of Chinese people live in that area...

Yeah that whole Asian area east of LA. They all run together in my head. Does anyone actually live there? Is there a reason to do so once you take the amazing food out of the equation?
Yes, I live there (in Arcadia). It's a good area, with good schools, and it's extremely sheltered from the diet racism you see on various threads around GAF. The real estate prices also don't stop going up (the housing crash of '08 didn't affect the area at all). Traffic and parking are also a million times better than it is in LA proper, though there are a lot of Asian drivers, so that is what it is.

Parking's not that bad... I find parking two blocks down in the residential area fairly easily. I'm glad to see more Chinese places popping up but unfortunately price is an issue (Of course I'd argue that outside of fast foot, eating out anywhere on the West side is just too expensive) .

Both are just too far especially in LA traffic.

Well a ton of Chinese people live in that area...

Yeah you can usually find something a few blocks in, but that's a bit of a deterrent when you get a hankering for some good food and don't want to deal with the hassle.

And are you saying that the reason to live in Monterey Park, Pasadena, etc. (besides food) is because there are tons of Chinese people there? I'm not sure that's a draw for me. Although I guess without them you wouldn't have all that great food.

Yes, I live there (in Arcadia). It's a good area, with good schools, and it's extremely sheltered from the diet racism you see on various threads around GAF. The real estate prices also don't stop going up (the housing crash of '08 didn't affect the area at all). Traffic and parking are also a million times better than it is in LA proper, though there are a lot of Asian drivers, so that is what it is.

I don't really experience racism (diet or otherwise) so that's not a big deal. Do you mean specifically against Asians or at all?

And it seems like that area is better for families (excluding the real estate prices). I'm not there yet, but in 10 years, who knows? And I know Asian drivers being bad is supposedly a thing, but it can't be any worse than LA drivers in general.

Yeah you can usually find something a few blocks in, but that's a bit of a deterrent when you get a hankering for some good food and don't want to deal with the hassle.

And are you saying that the reason to live in Monterey Park, Pasadena, etc. (besides food) is because there are tons of Chinese people there? I'm not sure that's a draw for me. Although I guess without them you wouldn't have all that great food.

I don't really experience racism (diet or otherwise) so that's not a big deal. Do you mean specifically against Asians or at all?

And it seems like that area is better for families (excluding the real estate prices). I'm not there yet, but in 10 years, who knows? And I know Asian drivers being bad is supposedly a thing, but it can't be any worse than LA drivers in general.

I was just answering "does anyone life there?" But Arcadia is a really good school district or so I've heard..and well having Chinese people live in that area does make it desireable to other Chinese people to move in.

Speaking of Asian drivers, my dad told me a story recently of when he first came to the US, he failed his driver's license test because he made the assumption that Taiwan and US vehicle rules were similar. So he went through the driving exam cutting off people left and right, doing his offensive driving thing. When the lady failed him, he was shocked because in his mind he thought he did everything right.

Sealion88

I was just answering "does anyone life there?" But Arcadia is a really good school district or so I've heard..and well having Chinese people live in that area does make it desireable to other Chinese people to move in.

Speaking of Asian drivers, my dad told me a story recently of when he first came to the US, he failed his driver's license test because he made the assumption that Taiwan and US vehicle rules were similar. So he went through the driving exam cutting off people left and right, doing his offensive driving thing. When the lady failed him, he was shocked because in his mind he thought he did everything right.

oh man, I went on a trip around half the island at the beginning of the year. Driving in the east was so fun, but once I hit Kaohsiung it was crazy. Having scooters surround your car at the light was kind of intimidating!

Man, all this talk about school districts is making me sweat. Let's just say that the parents are hinting at wanting grandkids.

Never really understood the Chinese people wanting to live in an area with other Chinese people thing. Same with any other race. I guess I'm just not one for community.

Your story is hilarious. I know that my uncle taught my dad to drive in an empty parking lot when he first got to America. I should find out more details on how that went down.

Well, the main draw is that it's a relatively affluent and safe neighborhood with very good schools. Arcadia High recently just blew $10 million to renovate its Performing Arts Center, like it was nothing. It was funded through property taxes, and no one even batted an eye at the expenditure because there's so much money in the area.

I mean in general. Again, though, I think it's tied to money. White, Asian, black, Hispanic, and anyone else living around the area is generally well off and well educated.

I'm personally afraid of where the real estate prices will be in 10 years. It just continues to go up and up and up, and we've been seeing $10+ million houses show up fairly recently. My house is actually in an unincorporated area, so it's significantly cheaper, but my wife and I are already thinking about how to get in soon so we don't get destroyed by rising real estate values. The problem is the sudden influx of rich Chinese immigrants and nationals, who buy up the houses, tear them down, and build McMansions. At least in Arcadia, the make up of the city has been changing in recent years, since the people who used to live here sold their houses for extraordinary profit (for example, my mom bought her house for like $300K in the 90s, and now it's worth $1.7 million) after their kids graduated and moved to nearby areas that are still nice but cheaper. This leads into...

...bad Asian drivers. I think it's not necessarily that they're bad, per se, but rather a lot of people drive as if they're still in Asia, where traffic laws are a lot more relaxed.

oh man, I went on a trip around half the island at the beginning of the year. Driving in the east was so fun, but once I hit Kaohsiung it was crazy. Having scooters surround your car at the light was kind of intimidating!

Speaking of scooters..this is a fairly common sight
scooter+family.JPG

I rode with my aunt once and goddamn...some aggressive ass maneuvers. The absolute scariest was when she would pass a bus on the right while the bus was about to pull into a bus stop.

Well, the main draw is that it's a relatively affluent and safe neighborhood with very good schools. Arcadia High recently just blew $10 million to renovate its Performing Arts Center, like it was nothing. It was funded through property taxes, and no one even batted an eye at the expenditure because there's so much money in the area.

I mean in general. Again, though, I think it's tied to money. White, Asian, black, Hispanic, and anyone else living around the area is generally well off and well educated.

I'm personally afraid of where the real estate prices will be in 10 years. It just continues to go up and up and up, and we've been seeing $10+ million houses show up fairly recently. My house is actually in an unincorporated area, so it's significantly cheaper, but my wife and I are already thinking about how to get in soon so we don't get destroyed by rising real estate values. The problem is the sudden influx of rich Chinese immigrants and nationals, who buy up the houses, tear them down, and build McMansions. At least in Arcadia, the make up of the city has been changing in recent years, since the people who used to live here sold their houses for extraordinary profit (for example, my mom bought her house for like $300K in the 90s, and now it's worth $1.7 million) after their kids graduated and moved to nearby areas that are still nice but cheaper. This leads into...

...bad Asian drivers. I think it's not necessarily that they're bad, per se, but rather a lot of people drive as if they're still in Asia, where traffic laws are a lot more relaxed.

Since I won't be looking at buying a house for a few years and housing prices are still rising, it looks like I won't be able to afford to move there and enjoy all that delicious Asian cuisine...

mercviper

Went to a steak night with some friends yesterday. As we were getting our checks some dude walked up to the juke box to play some songs and suddenly in our table's direction the guy asks, "Does anybody here know karate?" He was totes trying to be subtle about it too but the place wasn't crowded at all and I'm the only Asian here (just our table and 4-5 people at the bar, but he's looking at us not the bar).

Anyway I shake my head and he follows up with, "But surely you know like, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu or something?" So I said yeah I did it for a little bit. In response he just nods and says, "Yeah. You look like you do. I know some taekwondo myself. After I play a few songs We can show each other some moves." He puts up a fist bump for martial artist comraderie so I bump back and then he heads back to the jukebox.

Meanwhile my friend is looking at me super confused so after the exchange I just shrug and give her an I'm confused too look. I tell her with a laugh, "I'm glad we're on our way out" and after our other two friends finish closing out their tabs at the bar we leave.

Outside in the lot, I turn back for some reason and at the entrance to the bar the guy is there in a waist deep bow in my direction. I didn't know what to do so I just gave him a goodbye and it was nice to meet you deal lol.

Overall a pretty surreal experience since its like some comedy skit and I don't remember the last time something like that happened to me lol. What would y'all have done?

Went to a steak night with some friends yesterday. As we were getting our checks some dude walked up to the juke box to play some songs and suddenly in our table's direction the guy asks, "Does anybody here know karate?" He was totes trying to be subtle about it too but the place wasn't crowded at all and I'm the only Asian here (just our table and 4-5 people at the bar, but he's looking at us not the bar).

Anyway I shake my head and he follows up with, "But surely you know like, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu or something?" So I said yeah I did it for a little bit. In response he just nods and says, "Yeah. You look like you do. I know some taekwondo myself. After I play a few songs We can show each other some moves." He puts up a fist bump for martial artist comraderie so I bump back and then he heads back to the jukebox.

Meanwhile my friend is looking at me super confused so after the exchange I just shrug and give her an I'm confused too look. I tell her with a laugh, "I'm glad we're on our way out" and after our other two friends finish closing out their tabs at the bar we leave.

Outside in the lot, I turn back for some reason and at the entrance to the bar the guy is there in a waist deep bow in my direction. I didn't know what to do so I just gave him a goodbye and it was nice to meet you deal lol.

Overall a pretty surreal experience since its like some comedy skit and I don't remember the last time something like that happened to me lol. What would y'all have done?

It could be diet racism, or maybe you just look like a badass (that he was awkwardly trying to hit on) and he wanted you to show him your moves.

mercviper

It could be diet racism, or maybe you just look like a badass (that he was awkwardly trying to hit on) and he wanted you to show him your moves.
Haha I was just dressed in office clothes so I dunno. Also I definitely have the whole dad bod thing going on since I haven't done any real exercise in years so maybe that was just an example of how strong it is. :p

The whole thing was more funny/awkward than offensive.

Haha I was just dressed in office clothes so I dunno. Also I definitely have the whole dad bod thing going on since I haven't done any real exercise in years so maybe that was just an example of how strong it is. :p

The whole thing was more funny/awkward than offensive.

I wish someone would assume I knew how to fight. I haven't received formal bow in years.

People do assume I can lift heavy things though. And then I prove them wrong.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Got lured back by my friend.

Yaay! Welcome back. We all missed you. :) I see how it is, you only missed mercviper and you don't love any of the rest of us!!!!!!!1111111oneoneoneone ;( ;( ;(

:D

When it comes to the ignorant or casual racism, I've learned to treat them as folks with good intentions and respond as such. All of us are ignorance, and even a remark along the line of "heads up, that doesn't offend me, but as an FYI, it may offend others, so be careful" will usually do wonders. Intent is important to me. If they are

Also, the missus and I are looking at Disney next winter, and then hopefully Hawaii next summer. Take pictures at Disney and let me know how it is. We're not sure if we will do Disneyworld or Disneyland. Also, if there's anyone here who is a Civil War buff...let me know.

mercviper

I came back for you, specifically because you mentioned you posted this on GAF lol! Just wanted to pop in and say :(, and also lol @ the knowing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu part. It's... in.. the ..... name.......
Haha the 'you look like you do' was probably more towards the tkd background I left out in my post but also mentioned to him.

Probably would have done the same thing as you though, lol. How are you supposed to confront someone trying to do their best to be friendly, but are racist? I guess someone getting rude is easy.. you can just say something rude back... but being a bitch to someone for what seems like no reason is definitely :((((. I suppose you could add, "it's a little rude/tacky to assume I know martial arts or bow just because I'm Asian American," but that might be more confrontation than you're willing.
If we were going to be there longer I think I would've said something along those lines. I did tell my sister and she's an advocate for full-on bitch mode with a "Fuck you!" response or a sardonic "I've never met a real racist before. Do you have KKK meetings?" angle. A little too hostile for my tastes but she's always been really invested like that. Looking back I feel I should've at least said something about it so he isn't so ignorant in the future. Next time!

Got lured back by my friend.
<3

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Disneyworld is cool because you can stop by Universal Studios and go to HARRY POTTER WORLD JKDGHSKJGHSDG. Disneyland is nice because it's the OG Disney and Orange Coutny and (I AM HERE SO YOU CAN SAY HI?!?!?!)

Man, every time I want to quit GAF, I stumble across this thread and realize how much I miss y'all. :<<<<<<

I'm leaning towards Disneyland because I have college friends who live in the area, and I'd like to see them. Gotta convince the missus to hit up Cali rather than Florida though (she loves hot weather). If I come, I will most certainly bug the crap out of you so I can see you and the Mister and we can all get this amazing food you all torment me with in this thread. (The only asian food I've eaten is Indian and Thai).

I'm glad you are back. We have legitimately missed the hell out of you. :)

Just booked my flight to Japan this summer! BF and I will be there early August :). We got some pretty awesome tickets, only $900 each roundtrip! If only I didn't have school.. it's like $750 roundtrip in September QQQQ

How'd you swing that? Probably helps that you're in Cali.

Got about 3 more weeks until my vacation. Can't wait.

Mama is GOAT.

Hell yeah it is! I absolutely love it. :)

I wish I could find places, but there is so much stuff out here that I don't know where to go at all! >.< It gets pretty difficult.

Speaking of scooters..this is a fairly common sight
scooter+family.JPG

I rode with my aunt once and goddamn...some aggressive ass maneuvers. The absolute scariest was when she would pass a bus on the right while the bus was about to pull into a bus stop.

I can relate. I got a ride from my friend once, she's super nice, but dammit... I was scared for my life. Because it was at night and I happened to be downtown. She was just slithering her way through cars, I feared for my life that day. Lol

I'd show him those moves....

I'd have done the same thing.

(Also, I'm going to Disney tomorrow with a GAFfer! zeemumu or something... I'll take pictures!)

Oooh, nice! I've been waiting! I need me some pictures. :)

Man, every time I want to quit GAF, I stumble across this thread and realize how much I miss y'all. :<<<<<<

<3

Got really, really lucky.

It was a headache planning the flights, though. During the summer it's usually $1200~$1300 roundtrip, but I spent (literally) five or six hours looking for flights, playing with combinations of dates/times/airports.

Oddly enough, Houston to Japan flights with stops in Beijing are SUPER cheap (relatively). I found some roundtrips for <$1000, but the time in the air is more. Also, the Chinese government (or Air China) is really weirdly intrusive, so that was a little annoying. We also didn't want to deal with Air China's difficulty regarding customer service so we went with an American airline.

I think the Japanese airline is the best, and I'd prefer it, but it was so expensive. We saved $800 total just on air fare by going with United.. so the trade off is worth it imho. That's a LOT of gifts.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to offer, but since I'll be in Japan, does anyone want anything from Tokyo/Osaka? I think it'll be cheaper if I buy it there and ship it when I get back to the states, as opposed to ordering directly from Japan, so if there's something that you want I'll do my best to get it for you!

Still totes jelly. Although I might be going with family in a couple years when my sister graduates. I'll let you know if I need anything lol

buuunnnny. no more bans pls

Let's be honest, this is probably gonna happen sooner rather than later. ;)

Also for anyone Asia-side I'm in HK + Taiwan pretty much the second half of June. Anyone around?

I wanted to be amazed on the Disney pics until you posted the sweets that are just so goddamn delicious... Like holy shit. *0*

I hope that you had a blast, bunny! I hope to one day go there!

Edit: Yes, please stay away from OT. ;__;

Honestly I'm surprised that I won on that Astro Blasters ride.
I remember I used to read strats for that and Midway Mania. They both have tons of hidden, high-scoring targets.

It didn't help my scores all that much, though. Most of the Midway Mania ones require you and the other person in your cart to synchronize your shots, which is ridiculously hard.

Haha, I can feel you on that one. I absolutely love their biscuits, so fluffy, and perfect. I remember when I moved to a new area and there was no popeyes in sight, it sucked!

Sober

OT is dumb when you enter a thread and realize most people are wearing their disingenuity on their sleeves. Or it's a comic book thread (for a show or movie) and it's just full of COMIC BOOKS nerds reciting comic books lore one after another because the adaption isn't exactly as they read it in a comic book. And there are just so many superhero comic book threads nowadays (either for CBs, or for adaptations) that this problem gets really stupid. (hint: I don't really read comic books)

Comic book fans and wrestling fans for me suddenly just appeared out of nowhere for me in the past few years. Where did they all come from?

Gaming Side is just as terrible as ever, at least something's consistent.

(also I almost failed first year calc in uni, I'm no good at actual math, but I can probably outpace anyone in simple mental math. probably cause im asian and all)

OT is dumb when you enter a thread and realize most people are wearing their disingenuity on their sleeves. Or it's a comic book thread (for a show or movie) and it's just full of COMIC BOOKS nerds reciting comic books lore one after another because the adaption isn't exactly as they read it in a comic book. And there are just so many superhero comic book threads nowadays (either for CBs, or for adaptations) that this problem gets really stupid. (hint: I don't really read comic books)

Comic book fans and wrestling fans for me suddenly just appeared out of nowhere for me in the past few years. Where did they all come from?

Gaming Side is just as terrible as ever, at least something's consistent.

(also I almost failed first year calc in uni, I'm no good at actual math, but I can probably outpace anyone in simple mental math. probably cause im asian and all)
That you even took calc and passed it probably puts you ahead of most people. I'm definitely not down with stereotypes, but from what I've seen, even the "bad at math" Asians I've met are usually really good at math.

Top Bottom