• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Another expensive Japanese restaurant in my neighborhood. Location is so weird. One place I've been meaning to try is n/naka. One of these days for a special occasion maybe..
Sushi Zo (there are actually two locations) is the best sushi I've ever had. Period. It's better than Sushi Tsujita, Nobu, and Sugarfish (which is not even in the same price class but is damn good).

EDIT: I am not so great with setting low expectations.

The way I see it, though, I only add good places to that list. Fuck the shitty ones.

List is looking good (little on the pricey side but that's ok)...now I know where to go when I want to trudge through LA traffic and venture out of West LA.

If you guys haven't tried it, you need to try Tokyo Fried Chicken in Monterey Park.

I also added Tracy's King Crab Shack, which is actually in Alaska, because you can order their stuff online. You need to try their king crab legs; they are amazing (they're the ones caught by the dudes on The Deadliest Catch).

I like adding good value ones. My partner's more of the $XXX/pp kinda thing (n/naka was HIS idea, not mine).

So, while Sugarfish isn't anything close to Nobu, the price is much more palatable at around $25 / per person, and for what you pay, it's really decent :D. (That's why I put price point on the list... don't want some poor dude to walk in expecting a $20 dinner and then be all like lolol no it's actually $150. haha).

You and my boyfriend would get along great. I bet you both like the same places. 8]
I definitely like good value and cheap food (I'm having Del Taco right now, actually,
although that's because I'm having a very late lunch and not because I like it
), but I don't think that list needs things like Church's Chicken on there or anything. Your bf (in Texas, right?) also has access to amazing BBQ and high quality steak, so I'm envious.

clav

Switching tones in sentences is brutal. How do people do this ;.;

https://youtu.be/9jtiw721RAg

Church's Chicken in LA seems silly to me because there's so many better places with better Southern food outside of Cali for a better price. (Roscoe's is supposed to be raved about here; never had it, but that would be good for someone from.. Oregon? Maybe? lol)

Southern food in Cali SUCKS. Like you said, no good BBQ and the steak there is supposed to be way better (I never had steak). Tex mex.... I'm pretty meh about it, except for the queso. Dear lord is queso GOAT. Also, the oysters in Houston are so much cheaper there.

To defend my choices, I don't think there are too many places like Sugarfish (or Nana San, my personal favorite) outside of so-Cal in the states, for the price, at least. That's why I'd put those places on a list like that. You'd be hard pressed to find even the quality of sushi at Sugarfish in Austin, TX, at that price (or even Houston).

Thinking of adding Quality Seafood to the list, if for the novelty factor for out of towners. Pick your live meal and watch it killed and cooked in front of you! I still need to find a place that does amazing uni... sadly, all these years, have never went to a place to specialized in uni QQQQQ.

I think the partner has his own NYC list, some which he's had, some which he wants to try still. Apparently reservations are a @___@. Maybe you two could start a NYC list :D.

Seafood is what makes up for the lack of Midwest BBQ in CA.

Church's Chicken in LA seems silly to me because there's so many better places with better Southern food outside of Cali for a better price. (Roscoe's is supposed to be raved about here; never had it, but that would be good for someone from.. Oregon? Maybe? lol)
I can't really say I agree. I haven't had Roscoe's yet, but so far, every fried chicken I had that was supposedly better than Church's and Popeye's (sans Tokyo Fried Chicken) is not. I've only had better in New Orleans, and even there, Popeye's is no joke.

Southern food in Cali SUCKS. Like you said, no good BBQ and the steak there is supposed to be way better (I never had steak). Tex mex.... I'm pretty meh about it, except for the queso. Dear lord is queso GOAT. Also, the oysters in Houston are so much cheaper there.

To defend my choices, I don't think there are too many places like Sugarfish (or Nana San, my personal favorite) outside of so-Cal in the states, for the price, at least. That's why I'd put those places on a list like that. You'd be hard pressed to find even the quality of sushi at Sugarfish in Austin, TX, at that price (or even Houston).
My wife's friend's boyfriend is from TX, and what he told me is that, out there, it's not so much that the steak is better than the high end steak houses here, per se, but rather that you can just get equal quality for cheaper or just more at that quality.

I want to one day take on the 72 oz. steak challenge. I don't think I can beat it, but I want to do it.

Thinking of adding Quality Seafood to the list, if for the novelty factor for out of towners. Pick your live meal and watch it killed and cooked in front of you!
Quality Seafood is great. It's a good add, I think, because there are a lot of inferior places in Redondo Beach that look like they might be better. I actually added The Derby in Arcadia because I always see people bring up places like Lawry's. The Derby is better, at the same price range, and has been in business for over 90 years now.

I still need to find a place that does amazing uni... sadly, all these years, have never went to a place to specialized in uni QQQQQ.
My boss took me to this place in Torrance with really good uni (and I don't even like uni), as well as another place with really good mentaiko. I don't remember the names of these places, though. He also told me about this supposedly great (I trust his tastes) oyster place nearby, as well, which I also don't remember. Damn.

I think the partner has his own NYC list, some which he's had, some which he wants to try still. Apparently reservations are a @___@. Maybe you two could start a NYC list :D.
I don't know much about NYC at all.

zeemumu

There's a Roscoes in Anaheim. Can't speak for it because I've only been to the other ones like the one in Pasadena but in my experience they haven't failed me yet.

There's a bit more to Southern food than fried chicken though. But if we're talking about fried chicken alone, I lean more towards Popeyes than Church's. My grandma makes the best though. I used to tease my mom by saying that grandma's cooking was better than hers.

3phemeral

I've tried the Roscoes in Hollywood and the one in Altadena and the quality was the same, despite having drastically different spaces to utilize. I initially thought what could be so great about it, but that particular combination of the thin crispy waffle and fried chicken satisfies the sweet and salty palette perfectly. I also love getting the biscuits + gravy and their three-cheese macaroni. It's been awhile since I've been there.

Another good place that I never knew existed until recently is Flappy Jacks off Route 66.

Okumura Restaurant in Encino is my go to Sushi place, since it's right around the corner from where I live.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/okumura-restaurant-encino

I think the chef used to work at Sushi Zo or something. It's good without breaking the bank.

Good discussion on AA subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/asianamerican/comments/38ui2p/racism_and_the_gay_scene/

Must suck extra hard to be a gay asian. I know a few gay asians and they're pretty self loathing. Poor guys.

This is interesting because all the gay men I know are Asian, and they seem to have no problem. But I guess being young, in LA, and with Grindr makes it easy for them?

Edit:
Wow some of these comments are really on point.

The one about how ABCs feel about FOBs hit close. And I had no idea that masculinity was prized in gay culture.

Some weird weather we're having here in LA today.. Warm rain..

As for the FOB vs ABC thing, I don't ever recall feeling this way but then I went to a predominantly Asian HS. If we are talking about leadership, my FOB friends never felt comfortable enough with their English to step out into the lime light. I guess you can say they might've feared being ostracized but the ones that were serious about school were studying 24/7 whereas the ones that weren't just didn't care.

Of course prior to HS, I went to a private Catholic school and it was tough fitting in being the only Asian in my class.

I'm excited for E3! It's like a reunion, where I get to see a lot of people I know, who are at various companies now, and then I get to meet new people!

Oh, and games or something.

clav

I'm excited for E3! It's like a reunion, where I get to see a lot of people I know, who are at various companies now, and then I get to meet new people!

Oh, and games or something.

I was at last E3's dinner meetup for GAF, and it was interesting.

Stopped by after work.

Met Evilore in person.

Don't know if I'll do it again this year.

Most people who were there were E3 attendees, so they already had their own group/circle beforehand talking about the games they played that day. Last year the talk was Smash Bros. and Splatoon.

Sober

Someone needs to hose GAF down.

Looking at all those Mirror's Edge Catalyst posts ... Faith doesn't look Asian? LOLWUT

I didn't notice the redesign until someone put them side by side but uhhhh it's no big deal, she still looks Asian?

Pls explain.

zeemumu

Someone needs to hose GAF down.

Looking at all those Mirror's Edge Catalyst posts ... Faith doesn't look Asian? LOLWUT

I didn't notice the redesign until someone put them side by side but uhhhh it's no big deal, she still looks Asian?

Pls explain.

the redesign doesn't look that drastic to me.

I've also been informed that the sale might be tomorrow, which is a week earlier than I was expecting. Tomorrow's gonna be hellishly busy for me so I'm hoping I make it to where I'm going before I miss something.

suzu

It's like some people don't understand that Asians can look like Faith's original design and the redesign. We're all pretty diverse!

Sober

It's like some people don't understand that Asians can look like Faith's original design and the redesign. We're all pretty diverse!
There's posts in that thread wondering if she's now South American or something. Lawd have mercy.

I think the thread is full of people who can't tell if a woman looks asian because she doesn't have waifu features.

Food pic time!

Here's a zaru soba and oboro don set I got at Ichimi Ann Bamboo Garden (it's on the spreadsheet already) for lunch today.

IMG_20150610_132140.jpg

$9.75, exactly (cash only). This is also one of two places I know of where you can get the buckwheat broth from the soba after your meal to drink with your dipping sauce.

Some weird weather we're having here in LA today.. Warm rain..

As for the FOB vs ABC thing, I don't ever recall feeling this way but then I went to a predominantly Asian HS. If we are talking about leadership, my FOB friends never felt comfortable enough with their English to step out into the lime light. I guess you can say they might've feared being ostracized but the ones that were serious about school were studying 24/7 whereas the ones that weren't just didn't care.

Of course prior to HS, I went to a private Catholic school and it was tough fitting in being the only Asian in my class.

You went to a predominantly Asian HS with FOB friends in leadership? Sounds crazy to me. I don't actually remember the ethnic makeup of my high school, but it definitely wasn't predominately Asian. I wonder if hanging out with Asians (especially FOBs) during my formative years would have caused me to have a stronger link to my culture and language.

Not fitting in at school for being Asian also sounds weird to me, but maybe that's a function of it being a private Catholic school.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1060441

The "is she Asian anymore?" discussion starts around post 50 or so. Post 70 and onwards is just ... wtf. Or people asking why she isn't as waifu as before.

Eh, the thread is mostly harmless. It is funny to see some people saying she is too Asian and others saying she isn't Asian enough. I think the new design looks cool, if a bit angry. Her face reminds me of my fiance actually.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Link to thread?

*edit: Oh, is it because her eyes aren't slanty enough to be a "real" chink? /s

Glad no one said "maybe she got eye surgery" -___-

But, luckily, many of the replies in there are somewhat sensible. Meh, whatever.

Don't do it!

I am sad I didn't see this thread fast enough, because I was going to yell "It's a Trap!!!"

^ lol.

IT'S OKAY I WON'T POST IN THERE. I like her face both before and after, don't really care, it's pretty obvious that she's Asian, and even if a bunch of idiots that don't know anything about Asia want to say she's not "Asian enough," it's not my problem because I probably wouldn't associate with someone like that anyway :p.

It inspired me to look through my old facebook photos, though. I have photos of me with "bigger" eyes and photos of me with "smaller" eyes. Guess it depends on how much I'm smiling :p

Yaaaaay bunny won't get banned (this time)! :D I didn't know there was a way to look "officially" Asian, lol. I have a good friend working on ME2 so I think the game is going to be awesome. :D

You went to a predominantly Asian HS with FOB friends in leadership? Sounds crazy to me. I don't actually remember the ethnic makeup of my high school, but it definitely wasn't predominately Asian. I wonder if hanging out with Asians (especially FOBs) during my formative years would have caused me to have a stronger link to my culture and language.

Not fitting in at school for being Asian also sounds weird to me, but maybe that's a function of it being a private Catholic school.

No, I mean FOBs not going for leadership was a byproduct of them not feeling comfortable with English and most just hanging with their own groups. It was never ABC's avoiding FOBs to look more American.

Food pic time!

Here's a zaru soba and oboro don set I got at Ichimi Ann Bamboo Garden (it's on the spreadsheet already) for lunch today.

IMG_20150610_132140.jpg

$9.75, exactly (cash only). This is also one of two places I know of where you can get the buckwheat broth from the soba after your meal to drink with your dipping sauce.

That looks so good.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1060441

The "is she Asian anymore?" discussion starts around post 50 or so. Post 70 and onwards is just ... wtf. Or people asking why she isn't as waifu as before.

That thread is all sorts of bad. Stay away bunny.

edit: yea that thread. I'm out of there.

Zoe

Food pic time!

IMG_20150610_132140.jpg

What kind of don is that? Only ever seen egg in oyako don.

Top Bottom