• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

mercviper

You guys missed the announcement thread for Catalyst where someone actually pointed out "Less slanted eyes" as a point for not looking asian.

mercviper

wat

(BTW, did y'all go on honeymoon yet? Or did y'all come back?)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167055309&postcount=516 if you really want to see the post, but yeah >_> There's way more of the non-asian posts in that thread than the boxart, so I guess most of them got it out of their system?

Also, whoever makes the OT for it should title it Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Starring Emma Stone as Faith

Honeymoon in August. It'll be a cruise around Hawaii for 10 days. Still need to book a hotel for the extra day we're staying after to avoid higher plane tickets. And plan excursions.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167055309&postcount=516 if you really want to see the post, but yeah >_> There's way more of the non-asian posts in that thread than the boxart, so I guess most of them got it out of their system?

Also, whoever makes the OT for it should title it Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Starring Emma Stone as Faith

Honeymoon in August. It'll be a cruise around Hawaii for 10 days. Still need to book a hotel for the extra day we're staying after to avoid higher plane tickets. And plan excursions.
Congratulations!

Make sure in Hawaii to tell them you're on your honeymoon. They'll usually do things like room upgrades and stuff for you.

Just read that reddit news.

I was on that neogaf hate sub reddit once. I saw a thread asking if bunny was the worst gaffer of all time.

Don't ever change Bunny <3

StMeph

I need table flipping gifs

Oh, you want some of this:

17iqomoc7x5ifjpg.jpg

nucky-table-flip-o.gif

daredevil-ep8-flip-table.gif

table-flip-andy-samberg-o.gif

flip.gif

table-flip.gif

table-flip-o.gif

alan-rickman-table-flip.gif

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Cybit, my family might drive up for a roadtrip to Seattle. What's the most fun stuff to do in the city?

I personally like doing the CityPass stuff for a weekend - especially if the weather is nice. Definitely hit up the Seattle Center (Experience Music Project, Science Center, Space Needle), and then take the monorail down to the waterfront and do Pike's Market + the Argosy Cruise if the weather is nice. That's the typical touristy stuff but it is good. After that, Seattle Underground Tour is is fun if you like history.

Depends how long y'all are up in Seattle - that's pretty good for a weekend. Since you will have a car - might be fun to hit up Gasworks Park (the major park in Seattle). Also, check to see if there are outdoor movies playing in Seattle that weekend at one of the major parks and do that (couple of years ago went to an outdoor showing of Princess Bride with Chris Sarandon actually quoting along with an open mic. That was fantastic).

StMeph

Y'all I want to DIE.

So y'all know what "big boy pants" means as, right? As an idiom.

Well, one of the new hires is a chick. Before, our emails were firstname@company, but they gave her a firstinitial.lastname@company. I was telling a coworker her email and was joking, yeah, she's got the big girl pants email, referring to being an adult and having a more business like/official email.

However, she never heard that idiom, AND she's over double my weight.

FML. I felt so bad when I realized what she thought I meant. I was like noooo and googled the idiom to show her. Google wasn't very helpful.

I feel like the world's biggest asshole. FML. I use that expression a lot, referring to myself, and it's never actually crossed my mind that it had anything to do with weight. It's always been about being a kid versus being an adult.

This is how tags happen.

3phemeral

Y'all I want to DIE.

Well, one of the new hires is a chick. Before, our emails were firstname@company, but they gave her a firstinitial.lastname@company. I was telling a coworker her email and was joking, yeah, she's got the big girl pants email, referring to being an adult and having a more business like/official email.

FML. I felt so bad when I realized what she thought I meant. I was like noooo and googled the idiom to show her. Google wasn't very helpful.

I feel like the world's biggest asshole. FML. I use that expression a lot, referring to myself, and it's never actually crossed my mind that it had anything to do with weight. It's always been about being a kid versus being an adult.
Put on your big-girl pants and suck it up.

We all make mistakes. I've said worse and still kick myself over it.

Y'all I want to DIE.

do we put an over/under on when HR comes for ya?

mercviper

Congrats on the marriage! I'm joining you in the married life in about a month...
Hey thanks! Congrats on yours too and welcome to the club... In a month lol. So far I still can't stop playing with my ring.
Y'all I want to DIE.

Way to be an asshole. <3

I've always taken it to mean that point in time when you grow up. Sucks that your new hire took it the wrong way :(

Edit: that reminds me. I was drinking with a couple attorneys at the firm I used to work at and joked about one of our ex-employees about how she was yelling down the hallway before she left. One of the senior partners in the room said man that's too soon or something along those lines. I gave him a weird look and the other guy explained it to me.

Turned out that since I didn't use her last name and he came on after she left, he thought I was talking about his recent ex, who I didn't know shared the same first name. It got really awkward at that point so I just finished my drink and made an excuse to go back to the server room. >_>

Rainy

Banned
I personally like doing the CityPass stuff for a weekend - especially if the weather is nice. Definitely hit up the Seattle Center (Experience Music Project, Science Center, Space Needle), and then take the monorail down to the waterfront and do Pike's Market + the Argosy Cruise if the weather is nice. That's the typical touristy stuff but it is good. After that, Seattle Underground Tour is is fun if you like history.

Depends how long y'all are up in Seattle - that's pretty good for a weekend. Since you will have a car - might be fun to hit up Gasworks Park (the major park in Seattle). Also, check to see if there are outdoor movies playing in Seattle that weekend at one of the major parks and do that (couple of years ago went to an outdoor showing of Princess Bride with Chris Sarandon actually quoting along with an open mic. That was fantastic).

Thanks for the tips! I had actually never heard of CityPass, seems like a good deal right? Might just go with that so our trip has some structure. I'm a big coffee nut so I'll definitely explore the city for some coffee places too :) (unless you have suggestions on that matter as well)

Sweeeeeet. Definitely will tell everybody lol.
If you have it already, you should probably bring your marriage certificate (some places do ask for it sometimes). You can probably try telling them you don't have it yet because you just got married, though.

I remember going to Hawaii about a month or two after I got married for non-honeymoon reasons, and a friend clued me in to tell them it was a honeymoon anyway. It was nice!

Y'all I want to DIE.

She'll get over it, I think. Everyone makes mistakes like that.

Aside: I personally think firstname@company is the "big boy/girl" email. Those usually indicate that the person was there when the company started, and usually the people I see with those kinds of emails are VPs and up.

Sober

Just read that reddit news.

I was on that neogaf hate sub reddit once. I saw a thread asking if bunny was the worst gaffer of all time.

Don't ever change Bunny <3
Hahah what, I visited that once in a while but it was always sorely outdated. Guess there were huge ban waves that helped.

did anyone say anything about me? I want to be noticed!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Reddit is absolute garbage and you'd be better off not paying attention to anything that goes on there.

Subreddits can be cool if you are into that topic (the history / science ones are fantastic!) - outside of your specific interests, the rest of reddit is sort of insane.

Bunny, you lacking tact? No way. :D Then again, that's one of the most awesome things about you (when you aren't getting banned for it), so much <3 to the AngryBunny. I like to think of you as AsianGAF's Lewis Black. :D

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This is me on /r/all today:

bunny-eats-popcorn_o_gifsoup-com.gif

Ok, that is freaking adorable.

I have a reddit account and I like reddit quite a bit. I think some people find my sub to /r/fatlogic problematic, and that's the one I've always been really careful about. When I find it becoming too "eww fat people" versus "ewww stupidity," I'll step away for a bit.

I prefer poor speech die off on its own rather than be subject to the heckler's veto or "badwrongfun" more than anything else. You can have all your hateful subreddits; actively trying to stomp out that speech, while just in theory, tends to end poorly in a practical manner.

Yeah I don't know why I never picked up how to be tactful. I TRY to word things in a more palatable way... usually what I say has already been toned down from what I really want to say. Sometimes I'll probably a little too matter-of-fact which comes off as insensitive, and other times I'm too direct, which comes off as hostile/angry.

I suspect there is also a large amount of "West Coast" involved - to me you're pretty even keel outside of awesomely ranty at times. West Coast is a place that is pretty laid back all things considered. So don't be too hard on yourself for lack of tact...it's a relative thing. :D

Above all though...

img_esto_es_comer_flores_2568_orig.gif

-yours truly

<3 <3

Sober

Reddit is great, redditors are terrible.

Well at least the ones that seem to make up the majority of reddit. I've met redditors at local meetups and nearly all of them are cool people. The ones who sit at home and shitpost on reddit all day don't have the social graces or perspective for anything else. I think there have been a few times a literal basement dweller showed up to a reddit meetup and he had to be asked to leave. He was actually acting like a literal creepy fedora dude trying to neg the women there. It was gross.

Also we had the discussion in the TOGAF thread but someone took pictures of the TO Reddit meetup one time and it was like a lot more white than we expecting. I hadn't been in a while but I saw a bunch of familiar faces and didn't even realize most of them were white vs. actual demographics you'd expect in Toronto (more Azns, but that I feel is a different topic altogether).

All the shitty redditors that shoot vile shit out of their mouths are in most likelihood actually the basement dwelling MRAs you'd expect - at least from my experience. Everyone else is probably actually a decent person.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Reddit is great, redditors are terrible.

Well at least the ones that seem to make up the majority of reddit. I've met redditors at local meetups and nearly all of them are cool people. The ones who sit at home and shitpost on reddit all day don't have the social graces or perspective for anything else. I think there have been a few times a literal basement dweller showed up to a reddit meetup and he had to be asked to leave. He was actually acting like a literal creepy fedora dude trying to neg the women there. It was gross.

Also we had the discussion in the TOGAF thread but someone took pictures of the TO Reddit meetup one time and it was like a lot more white than we expecting. I hadn't been in a while but I saw a bunch of familiar faces and didn't even realize most of them were white vs. actual demographics you'd expect in Toronto (more Azns, but that I feel is a different topic altogether).

All the shitty redditors that shoot vile shit out of their mouths are in most likelihood actually the basement dwelling MRAs you'd expect - at least from my experience. Everyone else is probably actually a decent person.

Would also like to point out that the NYTimes has a series of articles about how people are paid in some countries to be trolls on the internet. I am starting to wonder about their impact - it explains the disconnect between reality and online in some cases.

suzu

I didn't know negging was a thing until like recently. Also gaslighting. I discovered so much from browsing and being sent Reddit links. lol

clav

A woman I was seeing once actually asked me why I didn't neg her. Like holy fuck?

Lol, my friend taught me about negging. He was bragging about how he got laid a lot (this was back in college), and he was like YEAH I JUST NEG THEM THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT.

He was so proud of himself. I was fascinated, but in the "holy shit this works?!" sort of way. Made me extra careful of guys being jerks. But, he wasn't TRYING to be mean, he really just thought it was a way to get laid. He even offered to lend all his "pick up" books to me to read. .... ^___^;

Learning about negging, and reading things like "theredpill," is really good for any women, though. I recommend TRP to a lot of my girlfriend, mostly so we can learn what to watch out for and any big red (teehee) flags.

Maybe that's what's with the whole nice guys thing that some people develop. Yes there is the other "nice" guy term.

Somehow, thinking of this reminds me of this video: https://youtu.be/xfeys7Jfnx8

Sober

LOOOOL. Wow, how did I ever miss this.

( I love /r/niceguys :p. )

& yeah, I'm sure that there's a huge overlap between "nice guys" and "guys that think negging works because women are women."
I saw a tweet in my feed the other day, it was basically "guys who say they don't know how to talk to women really just mean they don't know how to treat a women like people".

I laughed cause it's true.

I will confirm it works. It has a lot more to do with just negs, though, and a lot of what people are calling "negs" are really just insults. The core principle is to treat women as people and not keep them on a pedestal. For a lot of guys who have limited interactions with women, this is hard, so the "neg" simplifies things by giving them a "technique," where they can boil down social interactions to tallies and have something to fall back on. I don't think there's anything inherently evil with the thing itself, but its users are often kind of sketchy.

That aside, I remembered for some reason on a board I used to post on, we used to make up random, nonsense information about Asians and see how many people would fall for it. For example, one dude would start off with an seemingly innocuous and misguided question: "Is it true that Asians eat glass?" The people would follow up with "corrections" until the whole thing seemed plausible.

"Is it true that Asians eat glass?"
"I think you've been misinformed. Not all Asians eat glass. I believe it's only certain people from China."
"Yeah, it's Chinese people from the region near the Gobi Desert. The people around that region grow up in weather conditions where sandstorms would often blow sand (silica) into their food, so they grow up used to having a little glass with their meals."
"Oh, definitely. My great grandparents were from there, and I remember sometimes they would have a salt shaker with really finely ground glass that they would sprinkle onto their food."
"Yeah, it's not like we eat windows and sheets or glass or anything. Just a little bit with our food. Like pepper."

It got hilarious, fast. We also blamed sandstorms for squinty-eyes. Allegedly it's a trait that evolved from the necessity of limiting sand in the eyes.

Madness

New Doctor Strange movie, role of Ancient One who is a 'Tibetan/Buddhist' man was gender swapped to woman. That's whatever, but the real kicker, rather than find some North Indian/Nepalese/Tibetan/Eastern Chinese woman to play the role, it goes to Tilda Swinton.

No one will care. Purists even saying I love Tilda when she plays villainous roles. But Asian representation already so slim in superhero movies. And in this case, it was an actual role that SHOULD have been given to any Asian. What hope is there for greater representation. I mean you very rarely see any Indian, Chinese, Korean be mentioned in parts for any roles.

Madness

Oh we were talking about this. It's being explained as not wanting to cast a stereotypical old wise Asian man wizened by age and something.

I'd like to see more Asian males on the silver screen, personally. Sigh.

Doesn't even need to be male. If they want to gender swap, that's cool. But why not keep the Tibetan part of the character? Tilda Swinton is the first choice? There are plenty of Northeast Indian/Nepalese/Tibetan/Eastern Chinese actresses who could utilize the role no? I mean yeah I get it. But where is the purist outrage every time a white character gets changed? You very rarely ever see any older Asian women in roles too. Someone mentioned Michelle Yeoh, I wouldn't mind Gong Li, tons of actresses.

I just think that the roles are already so slim why remove an established one? Then we get the anger when a white role might be given to an Asian actor. But never the reverse...

Sober

Hollywood features are so adverse to non-white people it's hilarious.

I would recommend TV over it anyday. At least representation of women, LGBTQ, and visible minorities is slightly better. Not a silver bullet or anything but at least they're given actual roles and because TV is long form, they're less likely to turn out to be token characters. If you are so inclined, the Wachowskis made Sense8 that just dropped on Netflix recently. The cast is: white American man, Icelandic woman, Indian woman, African man, gay Mexican man, Korean woman, white German man, white American trans woman. It looks like ticking boxes but it's not really.

I could easily list maybe a dozen recent shows that have visible minorities in lead roles.

Madness

It's more that the role, even if it's the wise old Asian man, mysticism trope, is one of the few REAL non-white roles in the comic and was available for the movie. They don't need upset any purist fans by changing an established white character to Asian or whatnot. But what do they decide? To change the role altogether to give to another white actor. And yet, unlike the casting of Heimdall, the change of Perry White to black in Man of Steel, no one will care Tilda Swinton is given the role.

I'm waiting on my first date atm. Teach me the ways of negging.
Protip: don't. Just don't be too self-deprecating. Maybe talk more about how you feel about things instead of just stating facts, since the latter she can get from any source, but the former is something unique about you.

Sober

Protip: don't. Just don't be too self-deprecating. Maybe talk more about how you feel about things instead of just stating facts, since the latter she can get from any source, but the former is something unique about you.
I was gonna say that and also just be yourself but most people don't take that into account and have the learn the hard way.

I've yet to have a lady friend, so I hope that makes you feel better.
And you're how old? serious question.

Top Bottom