• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

Not able to go to E3, but I am at Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses in the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Not bad for running on 4 hours of sleep and driving for 5 and a half hours straight.

Granted I'm still kind of in shock and my legs barely work and I have work in the morning but still..

suzu

Also, for any of y'all living near/around NYC right now, hide your Asian wives and Asian kids because they be bopping everybody around there.

You know what gets me is that the police aren't labeling it a hate crime after 3 attacks specifically targeting Asian women. (=_=) I hope they catch the guy soon.

StMeph

Wagyu is, literally, "Japanese cow" (wa-gyu). It's been bastardized in English, like how chai already means tea, but here you can find chai tea. American Wagyu/Kobe is a weird naming-branding thing. A more meaningful designation is the region it comes from, as they are protected designations, as well as the Japanese grade, which is more restrictive/finer than American beef grading.

But I'm sure that they're not lying about directly-imported beef from Japan at places like Urasawa or Yamakase.

Opiate

So, this is from a discussion elsewhere (not on GAF, on reddit), but it's about racism against all of us yellow chinky eyed people due to what's happening with China. I think the non East Asian looking people will escape this, but thankfully so because y'all already have to deal with being lumped into RANDOM SECURITY CHECKS AT AIRPORTS.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asianameric...ism_against_asians_is_only_going_to_increase/

Basically, person postulates that as the US feels threatened by China's growth and influence, there will be more and more subtle racism, and because of how we look, we'll all get caught in it.

What do y'all think?

Totally plausible. I think a significant reason that racism against blacks in the US has bubbled back to the surface in more open ways is that blacks are making progress again, and the barriers that allowed them to be equal-but-only-sort-of are gradually coming down. More famous and powerful black people all the time.

Likely on a subconscious level, this aggravates some people. It causes dormant bigotry to rise to the surface. As long as black people stay in their place, many bigots are perfectly nice to black people; once the get uppity, though, things start exploding, sometimes literally.

I suspect the same will happen with any Asian country that rises to power, particularly if it does not assimilate in to western cultural standards. People are perfectly willing to let Chinese people be as long as they know their place -- which is below the US on the economic and intellectual ladder.

Opiate

Microsoft's E3 press conference.

Actually a few relevant things for PC Gamers like me; the new Xbox controller (it's new new, a deluxe controller for the Xbox One) is natively supported by Windows 10, announced agreement with Valve to fully support the Vive (which isn't surprising in itself, it's just good to hear that Oculus didn't some sort of exclusive partnership with Microsoft).

cdyhybrid

Totally plausible. I think a significant reason that racism against blacks in the US has bubbled back to the surface in more open ways is that blacks are making progress again, and the barriers that allowed them to be equal-but-only-sort-of are gradually coming down. More famous and powerful black people all the time.

Likely on a subconscious level, this aggravates some people. It causes dormant bigotry to rise to the surface. As long as black people stay in their place, many bigots are perfectly nice to black people; once the get uppity, though, things start exploding, sometimes literally.

I suspect the same will happen with any Asian country that rises to power, particularly if it does not assimilate in to western cultural standards. People are perfectly willing to let Chinese people be as long as they know their place -- which is below the US on the economic and intellectual ladder.

Wish the rise of China would motivate the US to devote more resources towards research/technology/space/infrastructure/etc. a la the Soviet Union, but it's probably just going to result in xenophobia, racism, and partisan squabbling :(

suzu

Actually a few relevant things for PC Gamers like me; the new Xbox controller (it's new new, a deluxe controller for the Xbox One) is natively supported by Windows 10, announced agreement with Valve to fully support the Vive (which isn't surprising in itself, it's just good to hear that Oculus didn't some sort of exclusive partnership with Microsoft).

I'm still on Windows 7 and using a 360 controller. Some of that stuff looks interesting though!

StMeph

I'm still on Windows 7 and using a 360 controller. Some of that stuff looks interesting though!

The build quality feels better on the old 360s. The sticks have more resistance, which is a matter of preference. I also personally prefer its ergonomics to its successor.

The new controller is much lighter and a little smaller. I am not a fan of the new PS-style trigger buttons compared to the original 360 triggers. I do prefer the lighter-touch analog sticks.

Both d-pads still suck.

Erheller

Speaking of Valve, how many of you have bought things from the Steam Sale?

I tried limiting myslef, but I've already gotten Crypt of the Necrodancer, Invisible Inc, Transistor, and the Tales of Maj'Eyal DLC.

cdyhybrid

I tried limiting myslef, but I've already gotten Crypt of the Necrodancer, Invisible Inc, Transistor, and the Tales of Maj'Eyal DLC.

Haven't bought anything because it doesn't extend to DOTA hats or the International Compendium.

There are other games on Steam?

suzu

The build quality feels better on the old 360s. The sticks have more resistance, which is a matter of preference. I also personally prefer its ergonomics to its successor.

The new controller is much lighter and a little smaller. I am not a fan of the new PS-style trigger buttons compared to the original 360 triggers. I do prefer the lighter-touch analog sticks.

Both d-pads still suck.

Lighter and smaller sounds great, since I have small hands. That price tag though.. D:

I bought Transistor! Only played an hour or so, but I'm really liking it.

Sober

Just Valkyria Chronicles. I have 550+ games on Steam, so I don't feel the need to even grab some of the newer indies just yet. I think I'm at this point where I'm just falling out of games a bit, so unless it's something I'm looking really forward to I don't think I'll be playing much. The Witcher 3 somehow pulled me back in, Batman next week too but after that I honestly don't know if I'll be playing a lot of games despite a gigantic backlog.

Maybe a few more games but I've gotten to the point where I know what basically goes on sale all the time and what is something you should scoop up cause it'll be unlikely to show up in big sale events.

zeemumu

k3oefQg.png

Was reading this for a class, and made me stop and think, wow. We haven't come very far. The English-speaking media still continues to mock Asian languages and make puns of our names.

It always annoys me when people do this. The insult or offense itself isn't a big deal, but it is the subtle lack of respect and the whiff of superiority (or rather, how Asians are still seen as second-class to whites, not deserving of respect)... bleh. Would be nice to say effyou more openly at times :p

(Been banned a couples times for bitching about this on GAF too. lol, how far we've come from 1871!)

I don't think most media outlets could get away with reporting a death like this now.

And I don't know if it's me being naive or the massive sleep deprivation talking, but is turning names into puns specific to Asians?

To give an example of how sleep deprived I am, it took 3 tries to spell "specific"

k3oefQg.png

Was reading this for a class, and made me stop and think, wow. We haven't come very far. The English-speaking media still continues to mock Asian languages and make puns of our names.

It always annoys me when people do this. The insult or offense itself isn't a big deal, but it is the subtle lack of respect and the whiff of superiority (or rather, how Asians are still seen as second-class to whites, not deserving of respect)... bleh. Would be nice to say effyou more openly at times :p

(Been banned a couples times for bitching about this on GAF too. lol, how far we've come from 1871!)

Don't forget that we get shit on by other minority groups because of the whole model minority stereotype.

Haha, no worries. If it makes you feel better, I just spent the last 20 hours of my life doing nothing but work for my tax class... even took a day off work.

The Asian pun thing seems to be more common than other languages. Even "ching chong" or some variation is used to mock Asians more than other foreigners. It's much more playful when it's making fun of words like "pop" or "zed" for Canadians, but when it comes to Asians it's not the same joke. It's punching down, not across.

Recently here there was the whole "and I chose Rong" that was really obnoxious. I would hope they'd not make puns, but again, the problem isn't with how offensive the actual issue is, it's with that underlying current of disrespect for Asians. Hard to fight against because it's not seen as a problem, but the nuances behind the motive are important to look at.

What is then "and I chose Rong" thing you are referring to? I ask because my friend dated someone with that last name and I often joke that he was indeed Mr. Rong. I think in many cases it's just a function of the English language. Sometimes words just make you laugh, like the name of that lake in South America. Although, the fact that Asian names are often hard to spell and pronounce for Western speakers also lends an otherness that some might feel more comfortable exploiting.

zeemumu

What is then "and I chose Rong" thing you are referring to? I ask because my friend dated someone with that last name and I often joke that he was indeed Mr. Rong. I think in many cases it's just a function of the English language. Sometimes words just make you laugh, like the name of that lake in South America. Although, the fact that Asian names are often hard to spell and pronounce for Western speakers also lends an otherness that some might feel more comfortable exploiting.

A while back this guy's ex kept harassing him to take her back even though he had a new girlfriend, then both his current girlfriend and the ex jumped into a river to make him choose who he would save and apparently neither could swim and he ended up choosing the one with the last name Rong. The other was rescued by someone else.

I was wondering if it was race/class specific because of other names that are commonly made into puns like Benedict Cumberpatch, or Gay Butler.

That said, the "ching chong" example is very clearly offensive and demeaning.

suzu

If they're making fun of it for just sounding foreign, then they are being dicks.

Some puns don't bother me too much but, I suppose it gets really shitty/old if I were to hear or see it often though (or like if it's used in response to something like that text image).

Rainy

Banned
Gully, Warriors won! Of course instead of a Warriors post all we got out of it was a contentious Lebron thread but w/e I can't believe it, freaking surreal so happy.

Gully, Warriors won! Of course instead of a Warriors post all we got out of it was a contentious Lebron thread but w/e I can't believe it, freaking surreal so happy.

We be Championship!!! So good especially after sitting through 20 years of bad basketball. The only thing that I regret is that I couldn't be in the Bay Area to celebrate.

StMeph

So good especially after sitting through 20 years of bad basketball.

To be fair, that is nearly always entirely the fault of ownership and the front office.

But the current team is historically good, so credit where credit is due: Kerr, Green, and Iguodala. And some people wanted to keep Mark Jackson. Crazy.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
We be Championship!!! So good especially after sitting through 20 years of bad basketball. The only thing that I regret is that I couldn't be in the Bay Area to celebrate.

Congrats!

My FB feed is going nuts, as one of our HS friends (Iguodala) got the Finals MVP. Some of us might go to SF this weekend to hang out and party with him. :D

For some feels for y'all:

Children Of Asian Immigrants Reveal Sacrifices Their Parents Made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1lDX0lzhd4

I'm trying NOT to cry right now... geez.
I lost it in the end. lol.

I should really ask my parents about what they went through. I mean, it wasn't as bad as what other Asian Americans went through, but it couldn't have been easy either. I was also a terrible child, so there's that.

Sober

I feel the same, if I did have kids I'd feel really obligated to do the same because why the fuck did my parents give me all that if I didn't do it for mine as well?

Well, I know that my mom took really early shifts (woke up at 3am) so she could be home by 2pm for me and cook lunch and dinner, and my dad worked really late (til 11pm) so he could be there in the morning to feed me breakfast and send me to school.

They were also super frugal and thrifty but saved up money so I could go to college without any loans. They paid for everything, and never complained about the cost, not even once.

That's not even as bad as the video, but it's still pretty tiring. Don't know how they did it.. know why, because they loved me, but damn. Sacrifices.

I don't think I'd ever had kids because there's no way I'd be that unselfish and giving :x.

I feel the same, if I did have kids I'd feel really obligated to do the same because why the fuck did my parents give me all that if I didn't do it for mine as well?

My parents also worked pretty hard to raise me and my sister, especially my dad, who got us after the divorce. I'm not sure how he managed to raise both of us and get 2 Master degrees at the same time. I remember a period where he was out of work and we had Chinese take out every night. Of course I was a little shit and just complained about it.

Honestly, I'm hesitant about having kids just in case Karma is a real thing.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well, I know that my mom took really early shifts (woke up at 3am) so she could be home by 2pm for me and cook lunch and dinner, and my dad worked really late (til 11pm) so he could be there in the morning to feed me breakfast and send me to school.

They were also super frugal and thrifty but saved up money so I could go to college without any loans. They paid for everything, and never complained about the cost, not even once.

That's not even as bad as the video, but it's still pretty tiring. Don't know how they did it.. know why, because they loved me, but damn. Sacrifices.

I don't think I'd ever had kids because there's no way I'd be that unselfish and giving :x.

Eh, you'd be surprised. When you are all in on someone...you're all in. It doesn't feel like sacrificing as much as just doing what makes sense.

They gave it to you because they wanted you to have the choice to do what you wanted, as well as understand the benefit of making those kinds of sacrifices.

My parents also worked pretty hard to raise me and my sister, especially my dad, who got us after the divorce. I'm not sure how he managed to raise both of us and get 2 Master degrees at the same time. I remember a period where he was out of work and we had Chinese take out every night. Of course I was a little shit and just complained about it.

Honestly, I'm hesitant about having kids just in case Karma is a real thing.

Eh; even if you don't have kids, if you ever have pets you're in just as much trouble. :p

zeemumu

I've always envied people's ability to power through that kind of stuff, about as much as I envy people who were born into certain environments that granted them early proficiency in certain skills, like having parents who owned a garage might help you know more about cars or having business parents might help you learn more about people and how the corporate world works. I was born into a bit of a blank slate type of deal. Mom had a lot of retail jobs and dad was in the military so we moved around a lot, but I never really learned much from either of them. A lot of that is afforded to them not knowing that saying random stuff without actually knowing and lying are equally as harmful in the long term. I appreciate all that they've done for me but I wish they'd own up to that so I don't have to keep calling them out on it every few months. Does being irritated by that make me ungrateful?

SRG01

No, that doesn't make you ungrateful. Being critically aware and understanding the shortfalls of your parents is exactly how families get better from one generation to the next. I have this hope that people tend to break cycles rather than perpetuate them, but that's just me.

Also, I have rather harsh opinions on what qualifies as a good parent, but I'd rather keep them to myself :p

I hate my family for the most part, but deep down, there's still a part of me that wants to make life better for them. Now that is being torn.

Estellex

How old were you when this happened?

Estellex

But one of the major reasons why China is rising is because they are good at capitalizing on other countries' mistakes. Like the U.S.

The American people should blame themselves or their leaders for contributing so greatly to China's economic success. Not the Chinese.

StMeph

But one of the major reasons why China is rising is because they are good at capitalizing on other countries' mistakes. Like the U.S.

The American people should blame themselves or their leaders for contributing so greatly to China's economic success. Not the Chinese.

What? What exactly is China capitalizing on with regard to US missteps? Their economic engine is still based on manufacturing exports and domestic construction. China would like to transition to more domestic spending, but some of their other policies work against it. What kind of mistakes have they been able to exploit?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
What? What exactly is China capitalizing on with regard to US missteps? Their economic engine is still based on manufacturing exports and domestic construction. China would like to transition to more domestic spending, but some of their other policies work against it. What kind of mistakes have they been able to exploit?

They just copied the US playbook from the late 1800s / early 1900s. Only reason it is taking this long is because there is no World War to destroy every other major industrial power at the same time.

Estellex

Capitalism and greed

The mass outsourcing of jobs to China can be seen as a mistake to a lot of people. China has been "exploi--- I-I-I mean taking an advantage of their cheap labor capabilities for quite some time now.

StMeph

They just copied the US playbook from the late 1800s / early 1900s. Only reason it is taking this long is because there is no World War to destroy every other major industrial power at the same time.

I still have no idea what you and Estellex are referring to. Examples?

How is their current economy/government taking advantage of other nations' missteps?

Edit:

Capitalism and greed

The mass outsourcing of jobs to China can be seen as a mistake to a lot of people. China has been "exploi--- I-I-I mean taking an advantage of their cheap labor capabilities for quite some time now.

Wat? You think there's no capitalism or greed in China, or elsewhere? Or that this is new? How is that an exclusive problem?

I'm going to paraphrase/revise something I wrote three years ago. But from my view, China has been following the Asian model of growth.

Japan did it, Taiwan did it, and South Korea did it. China's currently doing it, but they're trying to move away. Vietnam/Thailand are ramping up/probably next. The basic premise of that model is to produce tons of goods cheaply. But due to insufficient domestic demand, they're exported to mature markets like the US and EU. It forces an enormous trade surplus.

China's been growing its domestic market, but still heavily relies on exports and construction as the main driver of its economy. But to really stoke domestic demand, China would have to allow the RMB to appreciate. They've been hesitant to do so, because it would kill a lot of manufacturing industries, so that's an extremely delicate balancing act.

I don't see how any of their economic growth (or concerns) are related to exploiting other nations' mistakes, like the US or EU, except maybe some countries in Africa, where they're buying up land and mineral rights. Once/If China becomes a consumer-based economy, cheap production will just go elsewhere. China's been getting increasingly expensive, and some companies have even repatriated some of their manufacturing to the US for tax/distribution/shipping reasons. The main advantage of China is no longer purely cost, but logistics/supply chains because everything you would want or need is clustered together for extreme simplicity/efficiency.

Estellex

I still have no idea what you and Estellex are referring to. Examples?

How is their current economy/government taking advantage of other nations' missteps?

Edit:

Wat? You think there's no capitalism or greed in China, or elsewhere? Or that this is new? How is that an exclusive problem?

I'm going to paraphrase/revise something I wrote three years ago. But from my view, China has been following the Asian model of growth.

Japan did it, Taiwan did it, and South Korea did it. China's currently doing it, but they're trying to move away. Vietnam/Thailand are ramping up/probably next. The basic premise of that model is to produce tons of goods cheaply. But due to insufficient domestic demand, they're exported to mature markets like the US and EU. It forces an enormous trade surplus.

China's been growing its domestic market, but still heavily relies on exports and construction as the main driver of its economy. But to really stoke domestic demand, China would have to allow the RMB to appreciate. They've been hesitant to do so, because it would kill a lot of manufacturing industries, so that's an extremely delicate balancing act.

I don't see how any of their economic growth (or concerns) are related to exploiting other nations' mistakes, like the US or EU, except maybe some countries in Africa, where they're buying up land and mineral rights. Once/If China becomes a consumer-based economy, cheap production will just go elsewhere. China's been getting increasingly expensive, and some companies have even repatriated some of their manufacturing to the US for tax/distribution/shipping reasons. The main advantage of China is no longer purely cost, but logistics/supply chains because everything you would want or need is clustered together for extreme simplicity/efficiency.

My point was that China is just exploiting U.S corporate greed by utilizing their cheap labor. I called it a mistake because it is essentially how most American people see it from what I gathered. By outsourcing a lot of its manufacturing to China,The U.S is just creating long-term economic damage for itself.

I think I read somewhere to indicated that China has a housing bubble to worry about. I think they built too much expensive housing and not having a sufficient market for them. Maybe this will be China's downfall if construction is one of their primary driver of their economy.

Point is, Americans feared China because not only does China owned a large amount of U.S debt, but also they are seen as "taking Jobs". It doesn't paint a good light on China but the blame shouldn't all be on China.

StMeph

My point was that China is just exploiting U.S corporate greed by utilizing their cheap labor. I called it a mistake because it is essentially how most American people see it from what I gathered. By outsourcing its manufacturing to China,The U.S is just creating long-term economic damage for itself.

I would argue that it's mainly US corporations exploiting cheap labor elsewhere at the expense of domestic workers. Major multinational corporations aren't very good citizens, because they don't consider themselves to belong to any particular country. How is China exploiting their greed? Companies were DYING to go, partly for the cheap labor, and partly to try to crack their market.

It doesn't matter, though. If it wasn't China, it was someone else (Japan, Taiwan, Korea), and it will be someone else again. There's always going to be some other country for cheap manufacturing.

I think I read somewhere to indicated that China has a housing bubble to worry about. I think they built too much expensive housing and not having a sufficient market for them. Maybe this will be China's downfall if construction is one of their primary driver of their economy.

This is true, from most accounts. I didn't include this part since it wasn't relevant to the discussion, but since you mentioned it:

Some articles from The Economist and other sources (along with China bears like Jim Chanos) cite the proportion of their GDP that is based on construction as a staggering 50% or more, depending on whose estimates you are viewing.

Basically half or more of their GDP is based on building infrastructure that no one is using, and they are still increasing capacity. On top of that, anecdotal evidence in the Tier 1 cities describes new luxury condominiums going up all the time, but most of the sales are speculators snapping up the empty lots because real estate prices have been heating up like crazy. That's generally the surest sign of a bubble, but, like all market issues, it's impossible to pin down the exact moment when everything will turn over on itself.

China's central government has also had to pay an enormous amount of debt from local governments as write-offs. It has the bankroll to do so, but it's a bad sign for the economy as a whole. Local governments wield tremendous power in developing their respective areas, and -- until recently when the new guidance from Beijing for evaluating local governments' efficacy was changed -- the only barometer of success was GDP growth. Those debts come from unneeded bloat like construction projects whose sole purpose was for local officials to skim off parts of the funding, and, when that was achieved, the building would be left in its half-finished state.

Edit: again, that was a few years ago, and while I don't think it's changed substantially from then, it's clear that there have been more write-offs.

in some country father's day is every day. in others, it's later this year. but then there's the US Father's day coming up this Sunday. anyone have plans?

Top Bottom