• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DualShadow said:
Yeah it doesn't seem that hard to do at all. I didn't even know there was an in-game manual *shrug*

It's hidden the options menu.

But yeah, the spoiler in the manual is pretty bad. It's all the way in sequence 8.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
OK, Manhunt in MP is hilarious. It's a nice change of pace from the utterly stressful Wanted mode. It was great.. there were 3 of us in this massive group because I used the morph ability. As they came up to us, one would throw down a smoke bomb and we would knock them out. That is until they wised up and started shooting us from a distance :lol

1stStrike

Banned
Forgive me guys, but every time I see this thread title I get the urge to scream this.

WHERE MAH BRO'S AT?

bash-bros.jpg

Ledsen

Bebpo said:
It really bothers me that it takes so long to map out the city. I'm in sequence 6 and I still don't have access to a few of the towers/viewpoints.

It worked better in AC2 where there were very specific districts and as you'd advance you'd get access to an entire district and everything in it.

Here with the whole borgia towers, locked stuff and the map just kind of blending together it just feels restrictive and limiting which is supposed to be the opposite of what a sandbox game is.

Yeah this was EXTREMELY annoying. I touched upon it some in this post I made about things that irritate me in this game: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24594327&postcount=2137

MjFrancis

After taking a week off from any gaming whatsoever, I finally set aside the MP and dug into the SP without having played AC2. It's really easy to just jump right in, and even though I've just started sequence 2, I'm quite engaged. Desmond's story is as painfully dull yet as convoluted as ever, but the Tomb Raider sequence at the beginning was a pleasant treat.

I did run into a single glitch thus far. On one of the sequences where Desmond gives his partner a step-jump to the next platform, she disappeared somewhere before that point. I ran in circles for ten minutes in the underground passageway until I reloaded an earlier autosave and sailed straight through on my second excursion. I've read about a few other glitches, but did anyone else experience this?

Still, the SP is enjoyable to where I'm going to suspend my MP play until I've completed this portion of the game. So, I'll be out for a few weeks at least. When I last played MP, I was a level 26 and the highest level I came across was a 49, but most players were between 25 and 35. I fully expect to run into a plethora of 50's when I do pick it up again, hopefully before Christmas. I hope the upcoming DLC helps keep the community alive, too.

Ledsen

MjFrancis said:
After taking a week off from any gaming whatsoever, I finally set aside the MP and dug into the SP without having played AC2. It's really easy to just jump right in, and even though I've just started sequence 2, I'm quite engaged. Desmond's story is as painfully dull yet as convoluted as ever, but the Tomb Raider sequence at the beginning was a pleasant treat.

I did run into a single glitch thus far. On one of the sequences where Desmond gives his partner a step-jump to the next platform, she disappeared somewhere before that point. I ran in circles for ten minutes in the underground passageway until I reloaded an earlier autosave and sailed straight through on my second excursion. I've read about a few other glitches, but did anyone else experience this?

Still, the SP is enjoyable to where I'm going to suspend my MP play until I've completed this portion of the game. So, I'll be out for a few weeks at least. When I last played MP, I was a level 26 and the highest level I came across was a 49, but most players were between 25 and 35. I fully expect to run into a plethora of 50's when I do pick it up again, hopefully before Christmas. I hope the upcoming DLC helps keep the community alive, too.

I suppose I should try the multiplayer... I'm kind of burned out on the game after spending what I'm guessing is 25-30 hours on the singleplayer :lol

RiccochetJ said:
OK, Manhunt in MP is hilarious. It's a nice change of pace from the utterly stressful Wanted mode. It was great.. there were 3 of us in this massive group because I used the morph ability. As they came up to us, one would throw down a smoke bomb and we would knock them out. That is until they wised up and started shooting us from a distance :lol
I love manhunt too and find wanted too random for my liking. I try to play smart and strategically, but there's a 50/50 chance that will result in me dying before I get the chance to use actual tactics. Haven't had the guts to try advanced wanted yet.
Yeah, the only counter morph + smoke I have found (at my level) is that firecrackers have a bigger range than smoke. So if I use the firecrackers at a safe distance, the opponent always smokes to respond...then runs like hell. That's when I dodge the smoke and catch em while they're blinded.

Is there a gaffer group that plays this regularly? I like everything about it but the long matchmaking wait.

Jhoan

Ledsen said:
I don't know what you mean by that, but if you mean combo, you simply do a counter kill, then let go of RT/R2, hold the left stick towards your next enemy and spam attack. If you mean when you kill a enemy instantly, the loading screen tip says "keep attacking", for me they always triggered if I did a kick first and then just spammed attack.

Yeah, I finally figured it out how to do it thanks to the combat training challenges, but thanks. You basically gotta "bounce" off of enemies ala Batman:AA. Maybe it's because I have an SDTV that I couldn't read the text well. I beat everything that I said I needed to beat. I'm always looking forward to a fight now so I could take everybody out in a huge flurry of attacks, so it's a lot more enjoyable and more satisfying. The horses in this game do suck.

I still haven't gotten to the Brotherhood portion of the game yet, but I did
rescue Caterina from that big ass castle. The view at the very top of the castle is awesome and showcases the game's awesome draw distance.

If there's a GAF group on the 360, I'll join it.

MjFrancis

Mr. B Natural said:
Haven't had the guts to try advanced wanted yet.
It seems like Advanced Wanted was barely more strategic than it's less complex counterpart; simply by the absence of a vertical designation on the target, everyone is looking up before looking straight ahead. Loitering indoors around crowds out of an aerial hunter's reach is a much more defensible strategy since most hunters check the rooftops first. Scores seemed lower all-around on account of the additional time it takes to locate one's target; I'm not sure I participated in a single Advanced Wanted game where the high score was above 3,000. This made the lobbies of this game type among the slowest to load.

Since I didn't play it much, this may have changed.

MjFrancis said:
It seems like Advanced Wanted was barely more strategic than it's less complex counterpart; simply by the absence of a vertical designation on the target, everyone is looking up before looking straight ahead. Loitering indoors around crowds out of an aerial hunter's reach is a much more defensible strategy since most hunters check the rooftops first. Scores seemed lower all-around on account of the additional time it takes to locate one's target; I'm not sure I participated in a single Advanced Wanted game where the high score was above 3,000. This made the lobbies of this game type among the slowest to load.

Since I didn't play it much, this may have changed.

The compass will fully light up at a much wider range and there are more NPC's around. I found it much more challenging, but I think it may be the mode I go to once I feel that I've achieved a certain skill level in regular Wanted.

I'm gonna try advanced and see for myself.

If anyone wants to start a 360 group out, send me a PM with your Gamertag and I'll start one if we get enough people interested.

iNvid02

the actress who did the voice for
juno
in acb commented on my youtube video, she immediately got bombarded with "what happens next" :lol

they just go in and audition when the script is already finished though, put an echo effect over her voice and we got
juno

1stStrike

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
the actress who did the voice for juno in acb commented on my youtube video, she immediately got bombarded with "what happens next" :lol

they just go in and audition when the script is already finished though, put an echo effect over her voice and we got juno

What youtube video?

ultron87

iNvidious01 said:
the last one, number 020
http://bit.ly/9UT0eY

Hmm, probably shouldn't have read all the titles to the videos on that, since I haven't beaten the game. Oh well, I'm not that sensitive about that stuff.

You might want to spoiler the character name you put in your earlier post, since I imagine someone could be unhappy about seeing that there is a character named
Juno
in the game.

What the flying fuck?

I sent 3-4 almost top Assassins on this one damn mission w/ a 75% chance of Success and they failed... so I sent MY TOP 2 Assassins on it with a ~78% and THEY failed!?! WHAT THE TITTY FUCK!?

ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS STEAL SOME FOOD! FUCKKKK - is this mission bugged? I'm sure if I sent an assassin on a mission at 25% chance success they would lose every single time, why are they losing so much at such high percent? GAHH

Lost around 5 of my best assassins... ftg

1stStrike

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Any deals on this? I'm a huge AC1 and 2 fan but I'm being cheap with this one.

You missed the $39.99 black friday sale on amazon. That's where I bought my copy (with free 2 day prime shipping $)

Darknessbear said:
What the flying fuck?

I sent 3-4 almost top Assassins on this one damn mission w/ a 75% chance of Success and they failed... so I sent MY TOP 2 Assassins on it with a ~78% and THEY failed!?! WHAT THE TITTY FUCK!?

ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS STEAL SOME FOOD! FUCKKKK - is this mission bugged? I'm sure if I sent an assassin on a mission at 25% chance success they would lose every single time, why are they losing so much at such high percent? GAHH

I'm not sure you understand how percentages work, he would lose 3 out of 4 times.

ZealousD

Darknessbear said:
What the flying fuck?

You know you can send more than on assassin on a mission at once, right? There's no reason to ever send an assassin on a mission with less than 100% success rate. It's not like you get bonus xp for being risky. Just keep adding assassins onto a mission until you hit 100% success.

Ugh, there's some really shitty missions in this game. All the 'stay undetected' ones are borderline broken due to the arbitrary nature of the stealth. Is this a symptom of the game being rushed out inside a year?

gdt

Finished the single player today, awesome stuff. Great ending, and looooooved the setting at the end of the game.

Tron-like visuals and awesome Mass Effect sci-fi music.

Ending was a bit trippy, not as balls out awesome as AC2's, though.

Dr Zhivago said:
Ugh, there's some really shitty missions in this game. All the 'stay undetected' ones are borderline broken due to the arbitrary nature of the stealth. Is this a symptom of the game being rushed out inside a year?

The stealth in the Assassin's Creed series is more like kill the guards before they see me type of thing. You can't try and play it stealthy like a Splinter Cell game.

ZealousD said:
You know you can send more than on assassin on a mission at once, right? There's no reason to ever send an assassin on a mission with less than 100% success rate. It's not like you get bonus xp for being risky. Just keep adding assassins onto a mission until you hit 100% success.
It divides that XP between all of them and I'm not sure if the missions are limited so I try to divide it up between who needs the biggest XP boost ect. Not anymore though! :D

DualShadow said:
I'm not sure you understand how percentages work, he would lose 3 out of 4 times.
Yea? I didn't assume it was so literal in terms of percent. In some other games I've played if you have a 70%+ chance at something it's usually 100% and if you have lower than 40% it's always going to fail. It's just insane to lose a mission two times in a row at 75% and then at 80%.

Don't worry I'm not saying the game is bad. Just that it was annoying to lose my best assassins GARRRR!!

DualShadow said:
The stealth in the Assassin's Creed series is more like kill the guards before they see me type of thing. You can't try and play it stealthy like a Splinter Cell game.

But some of the missions want you to play it like that, but without the tools that Sam Fisher has. It's just bad design.

Bebpo

Banned
Dr Zhivago said:

The worst part is the goddamn loading after every screw up.

Honestly if there's was ZERO loading I could deal with the glitchy AI and jumping and other funky aspects of the stealth, but sitting through that loading (which is really bad on PS3) every time something screwy happens is frustrating as hell.

There is a point where instead of just having tons and tons content, you realize that cutting the fat and having a smaller roster of all great missions makes for an overall better game. I feel like there is an incredible amount of things to do in AC B, but a quarter of them are not fun. And the half-sync/full-sync thing could have been done better for sure.

Darknessbear said:
Yea? I didn't assume it was so literal in terms of percent. In some other games I've played if you have a 70%+ chance at something it's usually 100% and if you have lower than 40% it's always going to fail. It's just insane to lose a mission two times in a row at 75% and then at 80%.

Don't worry I'm not saying the game is bad. Just that it was annoying to lose my best assassins GARRRR!!

Well to be honest I just assumed it was literal and from what I read around on it seemed literal. But I only sent my assassins out when it was 100% success. There seems to be more then enough missions (I have all my recruits fully ranked up) and I "think" they keep spawning.

I would hate to lose any of mine on a mission :lol

Dr Zhivago said:
But some of the missions want you to play it like that, but without the tools that Sam Fisher has. It's just bad design.

Which mission(s) are you referring to? Spoiler tag as necessary.

Bebpo said:

Honestly if there's was ZERO loading I could deal with the glitchy AI and jumping and other funky aspects of the stealth, but sitting through that loading (which is really bad on PS3) every time something screwy happens is frustrating as hell.

There is a point where instead of just having tons and tons content, you realize that cutting the fat and having a smaller roster of all great missions makes for an overall better game. I feel like there is an incredible amount of things to do in AC B, but a quarter of them are not fun. And the half-sync/full-sync thing could have been done better for sure.
I'm the complete opposite. I love pretty much everything in this game, and the full-sync concept makes things far more challenging than previous AC games.

There's very few things that this game doesn't do amazingly.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:

God, i hate the white loading world. Why do i need to go through this?! Everything is right there, it is already loaded!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, now that the game has aged a bit, how is this compared to Assassin's Creed II?

I just no rediscovered AC2 and have given it the attention it deserved. I found it rather dull initially, but my point of view has changed and the game has become addictive now that I actually perform side quests and manage everything else. Simply trying to rush through it destroys any chance at bonding with the environment.

ZealousD

dark10x said:
So, now that the game has aged a bit, how is this compared to Assassin's Creed II?

I just no rediscovered AC2 and have given it the attention it deserved. I found it rather dull initially, but my point of view has changed and the game has become addictive now that I actually perform side quests and manage everything else. Simply trying to rush through it destroys any chance at bonding with the environment.

The SP feels like a Blizzard-level expansion pack to AC2. However, the length of the main story quest is shortened but there's much more to do on the side. Some people prefer it to AC2, some don't. I guess it all depends on how much you like the side quests in this series.

The stealth missions work fine for me. I managed to 100% synch all the 'stay undetected' missions without too much trouble. Plotting your course, watching guard patterns and taking them out at the right time or sneaking past them works like a treat most of the times. The crossbow certainly makes things a lot easier though, best weapon in the game. I quite like the variety in this and the optional targets work great. Same with the optional missions. They put quite the amount of work into them, the war machine missions in particular.

TripOpt55

I'm still working on the singleplayer. I think I am at the beginning of Sequence 7. Turned it on to play for a bit the other day and got no story missions done. Ended up doing a bunch of other stuff which is how this game seems to go. Might try and play this tonight if I can. Try to actually get some story progress in. I have one tomb open I haven't done which I'll need to do first though I think. I love those levels.

Ledsen

ZephyrFate said:
I'm the complete opposite. I love pretty much everything in this game, and the full-sync concept makes things far more challenging than previous AC games.

There's very few things that this game doesn't do amazingly.

Did you try to get 100%? I did (did/got everything except full synchronization on individual missions), and I can tell you that there are many, MANY things that this game doesn't do amazingly, and they start to wear on your patience after 25-30 hours... some of this crap almost made my throw my controller. I wrote a pretty long post about it a couple of pages ago but even that didn't include everything that irritated me about this game. Still awesome, but man was it rushed and unpolished.

Ledsen said:
Did you try to get 100%? I did (did/got everything except full synchronization on individual missions), and I can tell you that there are many, MANY things that this game doesn't do amazingly, and they start to wear on your patience after 25-30 hours... some of this crap almost made my throw my controller. I wrote a pretty long post about it a couple of pages ago but even that didn't include everything that irritated me about this game. Still awesome, but man was it rushed and unpolished.
I'm at like 95%, the only mission that even really irked me was the tank one. The rest are honestly not that bad at all.

Volcynika

Is there any reason to do full 100% synch per sequence aside from that one trophy/achievement? I didn't notice any special rewards or anything.

jett

D-Member
The major problem that borderline ruins getting 100% is the horrible, horrible, horrible loading.

Do you even get anything from getting 100% overall?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, what's up with the loading complaints? AC2 had little trouble with loading so I'm not really sure where they've placed annoying loading screens.

Then again, I've only died one time in AC2 so perhaps that's the issue?

Dr Zhivago said:
No, it's not. IMO The stealth and detection is no different whatsoever from AC2. Yeah it's dodgy, but it's dodgy in your favor. Just be glad that guards have the memory of a goldfish and can forget they saw you if you move.

BobTheFork said:
No, it's not. IMO The stealth and detection is no different whatsoever from AC2. Yeah it's dodgy, but it's dodgy in your favor. Just be glad that guards have the memory of a goldfish and can forget they saw you if you move.

AC2 didn't have as many missions that instantly failed if you're detected. The one I particularly hated was
following the assassin to the play in the Colosseum. Insta-fail if detected, too many guards to kill, also fails if he gets too far away from you so you can't spend time watching the guards patrol paths.

I'd certainly put this as being slightly worse than AC2. AC2 had better missions, and I liked the variety of the cities. The way the environment unlocked was also better handled in AC2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dark10x said:
OK, what's up with the loading complaints? AC2 had little trouble with loading so I'm not really sure where they've placed annoying loading screens.

Then again, I've only died one time in AC2 so perhaps that's the issue?

If you go for 100% it has to load each memory then reload if you failed the requirements. Only other time I noticed it was quicktraveling and going to and from desmond just to check a few emails.

Lothars

Volcynika said:
Is there any reason to do full 100% synch per sequence aside from that one trophy/achievement? I didn't notice any special rewards or anything.

I believe that you get cheats when you 100% each sequence each one is a different cheat.

TheOddOne

Played the mission where you go into the cave where those weird wolf like dudes are hanging around. Its was terrible, does it get better from there?

BobTheFork said:
The problem is that the stealth sections tend to be One Right Way when everything else has just been about doing it however you want. They always put it in a red zone so guards are automatically suspicious when suspicious guards make the stealth in this game just stupid.

Jhoan

Magic Mushroom said:
The stealth missions work fine for me. I managed to 100% synch all the 'stay undetected' missions without too much trouble. Plotting your course, watching guard patterns and taking them out at the right time or sneaking past them works like a treat most of the times. The crossbow certainly makes things a lot easier though, best weapon in the game. I quite like the variety in this and the optional targets work great. Same with the optional missions. They put quite the amount of work into them, the war machine missions in particular.

I haven't gotten to the War Machine missions yet, but I do agree that the crossbow is badass especially if you buy it early in the game and upgrade it ASAP. Stealth missions are a breeze with it although I gotta redo
the rescue Caterina mission again because I killed the guards that were outside her cell with knives and the game told me that I failed, so I'm gonna use the crossbow.
I'm gonna be on in a bit, so if anyone wants to play some MP then send me an invite at Johan El Fuerte (360) although I'm level 6 so I won't be able to play the other 2 match types yet.

BobTheFork said:
The only issue I have is when I'm just barely detected as I'm stabbing a guard and no other guard is in earshot. They probably should restore sync if you kill the alerted guard if other guards aren't alerted.

I think they've really improved the crowd AI in this one over AC2. AC2 it seemed as though they pared it down to be really basic with only crowds of 4 or 5 people walking around and only standing in that crowd would blend you. Now if theres like a crowd of 3 people walking one way and 2 people walking the other way, when they intersect with you, you'll be blended as well. A lot of stuff in this game seems to be closer to the vision that they seemed to want in AC1.

The only big improvement that I'd want (other than for them to wait for a next gen system so that they can fit more cities on disc assuming the next Xbox will have Bluray and have even better LOD in the distance with better GPUs) is for them to use a weather pattern like system for your notoriety. Your notoriety should be location based, and it changes to it should gradually spread. And allowing you to use your Assassin's Guild to help reduce your notoriety would be neat as well (and it would be needed as with that system it wouldn't be as simple as just taking down 3 posters to remove your notoriety).

Top Bottom