• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Biggest positive surprise of the past few years, this game. I wasn't exactly a fan of AC, and I'm not even sure what this game fixed, but it did something right to keep me psyched damned near all the way through the game. A+, so awesome.

Vlightray

Just come to say that AC3 Hell Yes! Been playing the game over 30hours now so much to do so much to try and loving it all feels like I live in Venice.

Edit: Also this game has a good trophy set-up will be my first Plat.

conman

Vlightray said:
Edit: Also this game has a good trophy set-up will be my first Plat.
I'm on the fence about this. The platinum was totally do-able on a single playthrough. I don't know if I like that idea. Seems like a waste. I'd rather that trophies/achievements motivated me to keep playing or replay.

TTG

silentspork said:
I don't think they will ditch the animus just yet. I do think they will work more present day action into it in future installments but the historical aspect of AC is a big portion of the experience. If they do ditch the animus I doubt it will be in the next one.

Well, considering Desmond is officially an
assassin
now and they're running out of reasons to keep sticking him into the animus, I don't know. I would love AC3 to follow the same layout, but if it doesn't I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure it will also have a lot to do with how well the game sells.

Dabanton

AltogetherAndrews said:
Biggest positive surprise of the past few years, this game. I wasn't exactly a fan of AC, and I'm not even sure what this game fixed, but it did something right to keep me psyched damned near all the way through the game. A+, so awesome.

Same here i really disliked the first game,but this has really grabbed me. It feels very solid and the story is actually engaging.

conman

TTG said:
assassin
now and they're running out of reasons to keep sticking him into the animus, I don't know. I would love AC3 to follow the same layout, but if it doesn't I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure it will also have a lot to do with how well the game sells.
There are lots of reasons for Desmond to re-enter the animus. In the first game, he was there because Abstergo was coercing him to
locate one of the Pieces of Eden.
In AC2, he's in the animus
to train, to follow in subject 16's footsteps, and (unexpectedly) to see the message in the vault.

It wouldn't be hard at all to find other reasons for him to enter the animus in AC3 (or AC4 or AC5). He could use it to find more and more objects, places, and messages. It's endless. Without the historical settings, this game would lose its core concept. However, it's possible that based on what happened in AC2, that Desmond
wouldn't need the animus to visit his ancestral memories. It may just happen on its own.

TTG said:
assassin

Seeing that the Animus-setup is part of the game's core, I don't see how they would remove it and keep the product within acceptable ranges of reusing parts of the former games.

AC has gotten the historic-city approach locked down, it would somewhat awkward if they ditched it for the next game, when you would still move in limited areas as that's how AC is designed and cannot suddenly be overturned for a quick sequel.

I would guess for the sequel
they are going slightly forward -but before automated guns-, but more likely backward since walls around cities appear to be required, mixed with modern day stuff for Desmond, working from the trailer.

conman said:
There are lots of reasons for Desmond to re-enter the animus. In the first game, he was there because Abstergo was coercing him to
locate one of the Pieces of Eden.
In AC2, he's in the animus
to train, to follow in subject 16's footsteps, and (unexpectedly) to see the message in the vault.

It wouldn't be hard at all to find other reasons for him to enter the animus in AC3 (or AC4 or AC5). He could use it to find more and more objects, places, and messages. It's endless. Without the historical settings, this game would lose its core concept. However, it's possible that based on what happened in AC2, that Desmond
wouldn't need the animus to visit his ancestral memories. It may just happen on its own.
I could see them bouncing between the animus to go to multiple time periods and the real world.

Frenck

Banned
I expect one city in the Animus, one city in the bleeding effect visions (HUD-less gameplay) and one city/area in the future playing as Desmond.

Or maybe they'll get rid of the Animus and replace it completely with the bleeding effect visions.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Finished the game last night, 1000/1000, AWESOME, GOTY imo. Cant wait for Assassin's creed 3, and hopefully on current consoles rather than next gen, the tech's already awesome as it is, kudos to ubisoft.

I loved AC1 but it had its problems, this one does aswell but its more captivating at the same time.

I actually think that AC2 will make me appreciate AC1 even more, the assassinations, the running back to your hiding place, the planning of your mission, were all superior in AC1 imo, its mostly the pacing and repetitiveness that hurt it but outside of that, it was a harder game with awesome assassinations.

AC2's flow is just so good though.

Irish

Frenck said:
I expect one city in the Animus, one city in the bleeding effect visions (HUD-less gameplay) and one city/area in the future playing as Desmond.

Or maybe they'll get rid of the Animus and replace it completely with the bleeding effect visions.

I think it would be nice to see just how much the Animus mutates certain memories. Say, you play one sequence through the corrupted vision of the Animus and see what really happens in the actual memory.

conman

Buggy Loop said:
I actually think that AC2 will make me appreciate AC1 even more, the assassinations, the running back to your hiding place, the planning of your mission, were all superior in AC1 imo
That's a good way of putting it. AC2 is "untethered" while AC1 has a distinct level structure and the story is better "anchored."

Imagine a Feudal Japan setting in AC3 where "Altaiyato" :)D ) is a Samurai or Ninja? I want that game BAD!!! I'm just picturing the character decked out in samurai gear that blends the eastern style with what we've seen in the games so far. An eagle-ish, hood-like helmet would look very nice.

robochimp

My copy of Assassin's Creed 2 just stopped working

It keeps on saying that it can't synch trophies and and goes back to the menu screen

conman

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Imagine a Feudal Japan setting in AC3 where "Altaiyato" :)D ) is a Samurai or Ninja? I want that game BAD!!! I'm just picturing the character decked out in samurai gear that blends the eastern style with what we've seen in the games so far. An eagle-ish, hood-like helmet would look very nice.
I suppose it's possible, but keep in mind that you would have to play as one of Desmond's ancestors. That'd take some creative genetic and historical acrobatics.

White Man

conman said:
I suppose it's possible, but keep in mind that you would have to play as one of Desmond's ancestors. That'd take some creative genetic and historical acrobatics.

I want French Revolution next game. That would give them a convenient excuse to weasel Rennes le Chateau into the story, which I am sure is probably the third thing they wrote down in their original plot outline.

TTG

conman said:

He(or better yet, she) could just be traveling over there on the pretext that
they were looking for the island.

Maybe turn the villa into an upgradable ship? With Skies of Arcadia style combat? :D

voltron

So is the DLC out?

I had a mental note that there was some DLC out this week. Was it AC or something else?

Oh shit maybe it was Dragon Age?

conman said:

Are genetic memories in the game patrilinear only? If not, they can do pretty much whatever they want, both parents of Desmond were assassins.

Struct09

voltron said:
So is the DLC out?

I had a mental note that there was some DLC out this week. Was it AC or something else?

Oh shit maybe it was Dragon Age?

No specific date(s) for the AC2 DLC yet, we just know one pack in January and one in February.

I'd also like to see the Animus being hacked by another user with a 3.0 animus that allows memory crossing and alternate timelines. Basically, just before the Assassin character executes so and so to gain the vital information that the user is looking for, a Templar jumps in and saves the day thus creating a memory redux and allows the animus to simulate what would have happened if things changed. To add to the struggle, the user that was thwarted is stuck in the animus subconsciously due to the shock of the unexpected attack and must right things in order to "wake up". Templar dude could be in it to gain vital information about the assassins that otherwise wouldn't be attainable had the assassination been a success and yadda yadda. Just an idea.

I saw Sherlock Holmes last night, wasn't crazy about the movie but it got me thinking that a Victorian/early Industrial era London would be awesome for an Assassins Creed game.

Irish

White Man said:
I want French Revolution next game. That would give them a convenient excuse to weasel Rennes le Chateau into the story, which I am sure is probably the third thing they wrote down in their original plot outline.

I'm hoping for just a little bit after so we can sneak this little fellow in:

Eugène François Vidocq

He really does have an interesting story that would make him the perfect interloper in the Assassin/Templar dynamic. (If not a third party, he would make a perfect Assassin spy in the Templar order and also lead the way for Lucy to infiltrate the order in the present.)

conman

Sickboy007 said:
Are genetic memories in the game patrilinear only? If not, they can do pretty much whatever they want, both parents of Desmond were assassins.
It hasn't been explained, but that does seem to be the implication. Or at the very least, it's a linear descent rather than a branching one.

Not only are Altair, Ezio, and Desmond all male, but during the
animus-free flashback where we see Desmond's "genetic consciousness" move from Altair to Altair's child, there's no suggestion at all that Desmond's consciousness was linked to the woman/mother, or that it was linked to any other of Altair's children (who we know exist from the codices).
Either that's an intended and unspoken part of the fiction that Ubi Montreal's created, or it's an unintended bit of genetic and sexist assumptions. In either case, the suggestion does seem to be that it's a linear descent (one person to one person) and likely along patrilinear channels (father to one son). Similar to how lines of descent are calculated in the monotheistic religions at the heart of the series (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity).

In addition to the linear (and possibly patrilinear) line of genetic memory, we also now know that Desmond, Ezio, and Altair
share in a common line of descent that grants them added "Templar" abilities.
These would seem to also be tied to a linear descent (one parent to one child).

As with anything, though, they could decide to change this for the next game. Wouldn't take much additional finagling.

NeoUltima

Just to be sure here...the Auditore family is totally fictional right? I only say this since it seems like the rest of the cast were real people.

Also, is there anything in the story that can be historically disproved? Obviously not anything to do with the games specific plot elements. I mean other general historical stuff like Pazzi conspiracy.

NeoUltima said:
Just to be sure here...the Auditore family is totally fictional right? I only say this since it seems like the rest of the cast were real people.

Also, is there anything in the story that can be historically disproved? Obviously not anything to do with the games specific plot elements. I mean other general historical stuff like Pazzi conspiracy.

The Auditore family is totally fictional.

Obviously things like Leonardo's role in AC2 is completely fabricated and a lot of it is made for the convenience of the story.

As for certain plot elements, some are true and some are fictional. The Pazzi family did in fact plot murder against the Medici's.

The Borgia family was also known for their cruel and unusual ways so it's not too far of a stretch for them to be the main villains of the game. Borgia was one of the most controversial Popes of the time. It is somewhat funny though that Leonardo and Machiavelli both respected the Borgia family in real life and that they are theoretically enemies in the game.

The historical accuracy of the landmarks are very good. However, I wouldn't use AC2 as a history lesson.

White Man said:

I think the Victorian Era would be an awesome setting for the third game.

conman said:
It hasn't been explained, but that does seem to be the implication. Or at the very least, it's a linear descent rather than a branching one.

Not only are Altair, Ezio, and Desmond all male, but
during the animus-free flashback where we see Desmond's "genetic consciousness" move from Altair to Altair's child, there's no suggestion at all that Desmond's consciousness was linked to the woman/mother, or that it was linked to any other of Altair's children (who we know exist from the codices)
. Either that's an intended and unspoken part of the fiction that Ubi Montreal's created, or it's an unintended bit of genetic and sexist assumptions. In either case, the suggestion does seem to be that it's a linear descent (one person to one person) and likely along patrilinear channels (father to one son). Similar to how lines of descent are calculated in the monotheistic religions at the heart of the series (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity).

In addition to the linear (and possibly patrilinear) line of genetic memory, we also now know that Desmond, Ezio, and Altair share in a common line of descent that
grants them added "Templar" abilities
. These would seem to also be tied to a linear descent (one parent to one child).

As with anything, though, they could decide to change this for the next game. Wouldn't take much additional finagling.

Well the flashback could be explained by the fact that Desmond had been linked priorly through the animus to his genetic memories of Altair and that's why the bleeding regarded only him.
As for the other children, that was pretty clear from the start. The question is not if the genetic consciousness branches "horizontally" (it does not) but if it does "vertically".
For example, could the next guy (or girl) be an ancestor of the spouse of Ezio?
That would widen the genetic pool immensely.

In other words, are we playing Desmond ancestors or just Altair descendents?
Until now, the only confirmed difference between them
is resistence to the pieces of Eden.
But in thousands of years those genetic characteristics should be pretty spread out in a closed community like the assassins.

Anyway, interesting stuff. I hope the next game has multiple protagonists, one city per era with Desmond action between them and at the end. Like someone else said Victorian London would be pretty cool, as would medieval India.

conman

Sickboy007 said:
In other words, are we playing Desmond ancestors or just Altair descendents? Until now, the only confirmed difference between them
is resistence to the pieces of Eden.
But in thousands of years those genetic characteristics should be pretty spread out in a closed community like the assassins.
But the suggestion isn't that the
Templar super powers
are spread "vertically" to all genetic descendents of Altair, or "horizontally" to all genetic ancestors of Desmond. The game seems to be using a very linear sense of inherited traits (like in the monotheistic religions). One father passes on all his important traits to one son, who passes those traits on to just one of his sons, and so on. It's the same basic idea as primogeniture and is the way that monotheistic cultures used to determine inheritance (of kingship, property, namesake, personality, etc).

But nothing's been definitively stated in the series yet; however, that does seem to be the (tacit) structure. Maybe they'll change it for subsequent games, but AC2 made it seem pretty clear to me that that is the model they're following.
Why else would Desmond of all possible descendants of Altair be chosen by Minerva? It's because similar to all of the biblical prophets/messiahs, he's bound by a straight and direct line back to Altair (and perhaps further back to Adam).

Maybe they'll explain this better down the road in a convincing way that doesn't sound sexist or old-fashioned. Who knows? Interesting to think about though.

Styles

Acquired everything and got my platinum trophy. Playtime clocked in at approximately 23 hours, I wished the game was longer. This is probably the easiest game I've played last year, but never the less still my goty.:lol

NeoUltima

Taking my time through the game, really enjoying it. One of the more relaxing gaming experiences I've had in awhile...However I kinda regret research some of the real world characters on the net. I looked up Borgia on the web and I think I know how the story will play out.
he gets a piece of eden, becomes Pope, does evil shit, Ezio eventually kills him?
Don't tell me if I'm right, but you can tell me if I'm wrong

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
NeoUltima said:
Taking my time through the game, really enjoying it. One of the more relaxing gaming experiences I've had in awhile...However I kinda regret research some of the real world characters on the net. I looked up Borgia on the web and I think I know how the story will play out.
he gets a piece of eden, becomes Pope, does evil shit, Ezio eventually kills him?

You're somewhat wrong.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finished it...I honestly preferred 1 to this. One had the repetitive nature but it felt like I actually has to workout the assassinations while this was more just, there and done. Move on to the next one. I also liked how they went back and forth between real time and the past, while this only had two jumps. Only one with anything to it.

Finished the game in 4 days, the first 4 or so hours I thought I was gonna get bored of it like the first game. Then I got hooked and couldnt stop playing. The tombs were probaly the best part of the game and wish there were more. This game like arkham asylum swept me offguard. The ending was fuckin amazing and I cant wait to see how the story plays out in the 3rd game.

I just realised that the most obvious place to go in the next game is:
(severe endgame spoiler, for those who didn't catch that yet!)

the city shown in "the truth". If subject 16 could access that far back, it would make sense that Desmond might be able to do the same. It would give an immediate answer to the question what happened and how to avoid it. There isn't really much else to go to with the in my opinion quite stupid ending of AC2.

just so you'll see why: humans are made to obey (the synapses part of 'the truth'), yet they are somehow able to fight a war against their masters? And these same masters are able to predict the future in INSANE detail yet they couldn't predict a) war b) 'the flame', whatever that may be. It doesn't make any sense at all

Tomasooie

NeoUltima said:

Actually, if you've been reading the database entries, around Forli you can figure out
that Rodrigo becomes Pope (they mention the son of the Pope, Cesare Borgia, so it becomes obvious that Rodrigo will become Pope).

conman

Zeitgeister said:
humans are made to obey (the synapses part of 'the truth'), yet they are somehow able to fight a war against their masters? And these same masters are able to predict the future in INSANE detail yet they couldn't predict a) war b) 'the flame', whatever that may be. It doesn't make any sense at all
Judging by "The Truth" video and by the events at the end of the game,
there are some among the God-like beings who sympathize with the humans. Presumably some "snake" (one of the sympathizers) provides them with the apple that we then see Adam and Eve escaping with. Minerva doesn't clarify the order of events, but the suggestion seems to be that war breaks out after Adam and Eve escape with the "apple."

It's also not entirely clear what the God-like beings' relationship to time is yet. It's possible that whatever the situation was back in Eden, the God-like beings were tied to human experience of time. They also don't seem to be entirely omniscient. The Pieces of Eden seem to only have had one use back then: controlling humans. So it isn't clear what their relationship to time and the future was back then. Still too many unanswered questions to decide if there are any substantial contradictions yet.

The ability to see the future hasn't been developed much yet in the game. We don't know who these beings are, or where/when they came from yet. We don't know the extent of their abilities, let alone how Minerva knows that Desmond and Ezio will find that vault. I'm hoping Patrice and co. have figured all this out already so it won't sound lame in subsequent titles (*cough* like in Lost *cough*).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm sorry for the crazy questions, I just started the game and I'm trying to "get" the backstory of AC1 which I didn't play.

So I've read plot summaries and watched summary videos of AC1 before starting the game, so I'm familiar with Desmond and the Animus and the modern day Templars and they were holding Desmond to get his memories, etc. Is there really any other VIP information that I should know from the first game? Starting up AC2 it seems that I really don't know a lot about "Desmond's" world and who were the other "subjects" that were going through the same thing at Asbergo (whatever its called).

Basically the modern day Templars are looking for artifacts to brain wash the world into thinking what they want, and they're using assassin descendants to be put into a machine to steal their memories or something to know where these artefacts... are? Right? And right now at the start of AC2 - this new group of modern day Assassin's dudes wants Desmond to relive Ezio and become an Assassin - and so that they can find the artefacts before the other guys do?

... also is it worth it to find all the glyphs and such and the story makes sense at the end of the game so it's worth my time to do all the backstory stuff?

Well, I picked up AC 2 a few weeks ago, I really wasn't a massive fan of the original (usual issues; repetitive, etc.) but I was really impressed by this one. It played really well and even though the assasinations were all pretty similar the environments always changed and the introduction of proper story inbetween missions really helped.

The controls are shit though.

News Bot

Banned
Ok.

So on Friday, I go through the snow and the cold and buy the game finally. I get home, tear the sealing off, pop it in, it boots. Then it freezes right after the "THIS GAME WAS DEVELOPED BY BLABLABLA" screen. I try it on another 360, it pops up with a "Disc is unreadable" error.

So yeah, I got a fucked copy. Now I need to find the receipt, brace the snow and the cold again to get it exchanged. And I can't find the receipt. FML

Frenck

Banned
Adam Prime said:
I'm sorry for the crazy questions, I just started the game and I'm trying to "get" the backstory of AC1 which I didn't play.

So I've read plot summaries and watched summary videos of AC1 before starting the game, so I'm familiar with Desmond and the Animus and the modern day Templars and they were holding Desmond to get his memories, etc. Is there really any other VIP information that I should know from the first game? Starting up AC2 it seems that I really don't know a lot about "Desmond's" world and who were the other "subjects" that were going through the same thing at Asbergo (whatever its called).

Subject Sixteen is the only other subject that you should should care about. He was held in the same room as Desmond and scribbled cryptic messages on the walls in his own blood. Desmond earns Altair's eagle vision in what is called "the bleeding effect", basically if you spend too much time in the Animus your ancestors abilities, memories and personality will blend with your own.

Basically the modern day Templars are looking for artifacts to brain wash the world into thinking what they want, and they're using assassin descendants to be put into a machine to steal their memories or something to know where these artefacts... are? Right? And right now at the start of AC2 - this new group of modern day Assassin's dudes wants Desmond to relive Ezio and become an Assassin - and so that they can find the artefacts before the other guys do?

The group that bails Desmond out of Abstergo is the same group that unsuccessfully tried to rescue him in the first Assassin's Creed. They aren't really a new group of Assassins, they are a modern day version of the Assassins just like Abstergo is a modern day representation of the Templars. The Assassins still exist and Desmond's family is part of them but he chose a different life and left their enclave to live a normal life.

... also is it worth it to find all the glyphs and such and the story makes sense at the end of the game so it's worth my time to do all the backstory stuff?

Yeeeees, you'll want to complete all the glyph puzzles, tombs and read the letters that you pick up. It's totally worth it.

It's also pretty interesting that the modern day/future setting of Assassin's Creed is very different from our own world. You should check out the e-mails that you can unlock in the first Assassin's Creed to familiarize yourself with the world of AC.

EDIT:

A transcript of all the e-mails from AC 1.

Top Bottom