• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

conman

Adam Prime said:
... also is it worth it to find all the glyphs and such and the story makes sense at the end of the game so it's worth my time to do all the backstory stuff?
Definitely worth it. Most of the Templar-Assassin intrigue plot happens in the glyph transcripts. There are also additional hidden messages in many of the glyph images (in Morse code, hexadecimal, and binary) that you will either need to translate yourself or find a translation online. It's also worth reading all the codices that you collect since those give you Altair's post-AC1 biography.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I found the first three glyphs today:

I had to do these puzzle wheels in the second glyphs where I had to decode people in history. See, things like that I don't get - what is important about these people? They are assassin's/templars or something? And then in the third puzzle I was finding "pieces of Eden" looking apples. From what little I know about AC those are the things that they use to mind-control people, right?

I just kinda don't get what it is that they're supposed to be telling me about the story. Is there some kind of AC database/wiki that everyone spits out theories and explanations for this kinda stuff. I feel kinda.... dense.

Sheperd

Neo Member
Beat this a few hours ago. It felt like the AI was even dumber than usual at the end, but I did feel like a badass.

Excellent game (never played the first one).

NeoUltima

How am I suppose to get the one trophy that involves sweeping 5 enemies at a time with a polearm. I don't think I even know how to sweep at all, let alone 5 at once.

Salmonax

NeoUltima said:
How am I suppose to get the one trophy that involves sweeping 5 enemies at a time with a polearm. I don't think I even know how to sweep at all, let alone 5 at once.
You have to pay to acquire the sweep skill back at the training area of the villa. Then you have to disarm a guard with a staff and have five or more chasing you. It was a major pain for me.

I actually thought that one was pretty easy. Took some tries but didn't take TOO long. The worst thing for me was having to replay the game because I missed that stupid goddamn fly swatter crap.

NeoUltima

Salmonax said:
You have to pay to acquire the sweep skill back at the training area of the villa. Then you have to disarm a guard with a staff and have five or more chasing you. It was a major pain for me.
Wow :( I'd rather find another 100 feathers than do that.

Salmonax

NeoUltima said:
Wow :( I'd rather find another 100 feathers than do that.
Your mileage may vary. I can't tell you how many times I knocked down two, three, or four guards. All in all it probably didn't take that long, really - it was just a pain.

NeoUltima

Wish there was a way to replay missions...Would love to experience the whole last mission/ending again without having to replay the whole damn game.

I like this game but there are way too many timed "pull the level, then run from A to B before the gate closes" type areas. I find them really annoying, especially the one I'm on now (the last assassin's tomb).

I'm starting to wish developers would get away from arbitrary timed sequences in all games. It's not fun, at least not to me. Just irritating.

Kinda screwed up with the truth symbols, I kind of ignored them while playing but now I want to search for them, I know I can see which city and landmark they are located from the database but the problem is finding the building itself, the map doesn't provide you with this correct? Is there a way I can easily get to landmarks without searching the whole city?

Aspiring

I have to ask a question as i have seen nobody ask or complain about it, unlike Burnout Paradise. Why is there no "restart mission" option? There is nothing more infuriating and frustrating, than having a race mission, or courier mission, stuffing up, and seeing 2 minutes on the clock, and having to either wait, or abort mission, and restart, which by the time it loads it all up, would be the same.

I do love the game besides a few niggles in the platforming controls etc, but this one really gives me the shits. Hopefully it gets patched in.

Playing through the game, enjoying it a lot. I could literally pull people off of roofs and watch them fall for hours. That's not why I'm here tho. I'm here about the story.

What the hell is going on here? There's some like Kojima level paranoia happening in this game. The weird story is presented with such.. vehemence that I often find myself wondering if someone over at Ubi actually believes this stuff, and then I muse about how much of their disposable income they spend on tinfoil. Anyway, it's a well written and fairly interesting mythos, and almost completely unexpected. Good stuff.

But if one of the devs offered me some kool aid I don't think I'd drink it.

conman

Adam Prime said:
I just kinda don't get what it is that they're supposed to be telling me about the story. Is there some kind of AC database/wiki that everyone spits out theories and explanations for this kinda stuff. I feel kinda.... dense.
Some folks put together a wiki database. I don't have a link, but I'm sure you could find it pretty easily. But I'd hold off until after you finish the game.

I'm not sure which specific glyph puzzles you're referring to, but generally speaking
the historical figures and events are a combination of Templar and Assassins acting in history. It isn't always clear which is which, but I think that's part of the point of the series. As far as the first game goes, all you should know is that both Templar and Assassins have been engaging in ideological warfare behind the scenes of history for a long time. The glyph puzzles in AC2 are showing you particular instances of that long-standing conflict.
Hope that helps.

fernoca

Are there any figures, mostly Ezio in Asssassin's costume..planned to be released?
I missed the "Master Assassin" edition..

NeoUltima

This game really has one of easiest platinums ever. Only takes one playthrough and none of the trophies are even hard. I thought the sweeper one would be tough but it really wasn't. Hardest part was figuring out I had to buy the training to do it.

dreamer3kx said:
Kinda screwed up with the truth symbols, I kind of ignored them while playing but now I want to search for them, I know I can see which city and landmark they are located from the database but the problem is finding the building itself, the map doesn't provide you with this correct? Is there a way I can easily get to landmarks without searching the whole city?
Landmarks are dark gray on the map. Doesn't tell you which is which though.

I'm sure there are guides online that pinpoint locations.

theinfinityissue said:
The weird story is presented with such.. vehemence that I often find myself wondering if someone over at Ubi actually believes this stuff, and then I muse about how much of their disposable income they spend on tinfoil.

i worked with a guy who's friend worked on AC1 and presumably AC2 too... and yes, i can pretty safely say at least some of them believe a lot of the crazy stuff thats in the game.

i got some DVDs that are originally from the Ubisoft dude... FILLED with Alex Jones videos and all kinds of even crazier stuff about
reptile aliens infiltrating governments

im not lying!

conman

astroturfing said:
i worked with a guy who's friend worked on AC1 and presumably AC2 too... and yes, i can pretty safely say at least some of them believe a lot of the crazy stuff thats in the game.

i got some DVDs that are originally from the Ubisoft dude... FILLED with Alex Jones videos and all kinds of even crazier stuff about
reptile aliens infiltrating governments

im not lying!
There's a difference (admittedly not always a clear one) between being fascinated by all this stuff and actually believing it.

Also, I love when a comment begins with "I worked with a guy who's friend" did something, especially when that's followed by "I can safely say." :lol

Socreges

Banned
Can someone tell me something about the ending:

I beat the game, but hadn't retrieved all of the glyphs. So there is another ending, right? Is it impossible to see it without starting another game? Can you describe the ending? Is it worth running around and doing all of the glyphs?

The ending didn't interest me much. Otherwise I loved the game.

Socreges said:
Can someone tell me something about the ending:

I beat the game, but hadn't retrieved all of the glyphs. So there is another ending, right? Is it impossible to see it without starting another game? Can you describe the ending? Is it worth running around and doing all of the glyphs?

The ending didn't interest me much. Otherwise I loved the game.
1) Basically what you've missed out on is the 'full' video from all the glyphs. Once you've finished the game and go back in you can just find them and watch the video, which just makes everything more confusing to be honest.

2) You lie. The ending was one of the best parts of the game, in my opinion. What with the
world going to perish if you don't do whatever you'll be doing in AC3
and
Minerva talking to Desmond via Ezio, and everyone being all confused.
I loved it.

NeoUltima said:
This game really has one of easiest platinums ever. Only takes one playthrough and none of the trophies are even hard. I thought the sweeper one would be tough but it really wasn't. Hardest part was figuring out I had to buy the training to do it.

Landmarks are dark gray on the map. Doesn't tell you which is which though.

I'm sure there are guides online that pinpoint locations.

Thanks man, thats good enough for me.

conman said:
There's a difference (admittedly not always a clear one) between being fascinated by all this stuff and actually believing it.

Also, I love when a comment begins with "I worked with a guy who's friend" did something, especially when that's followed by "I can safely say." :lol
so whats your point? im lying? nah man, i talked a lot with my co-worker about everything, he's apparently best buddies with the Ubi fella.. and yea, i got the impression that they're total conspiracy nuts. hell, i believe in some crazy shit
(ufos are real)
but im nothing compared to my ex- co-worker and his DVD spreading Ubisoft buddy, who MIGHT not believe all the craziness, but the guy i knew most certainly did. he tried to convince me not to use toothpaste because there is some mindcontrol chemical in it. so yeah.

Yes, finally platinumed it. They pay off for find the feathers was stupid.
Really? You kept silent for 20 years until I found your precious feathers?

The glyph puzzles were pretty awesome. Somehow I'm still missing 12 paintings...I wanna max out my estate value.

Aspiring said:
I have to ask a question as i have seen nobody ask or complain about it, unlike Burnout Paradise. Why is there no "restart mission" option? There is nothing more infuriating and frustrating, than having a race mission, or courier mission, stuffing up, and seeing 2 minutes on the clock, and having to either wait, or abort mission, and restart, which by the time it loads it all up, would be the same.

I do love the game besides a few niggles in the platforming controls etc, but this one really gives me the shits. Hopefully it gets patched in.
It's pretty bad. Also I have an issue with the fact you can't restart from a checkpoint either. I was doing one of the assassins tombs, one in a church, got a checkpoint then fell 100 feet to the floor. Well guess what, it didn't kill me, so I had to spend 5 minutes getting back up to where I had just gotten that checkpoint. What was the point of that checkpoint I'd like to know.

squall211

I just finished playing both games back to back for the first time. The second game is definitely better than the first in just about every way. My only major gripe with Assassin's Creed II is how easy it is. Now, I don't mind easy games, but I think the only time I ever *died* or had to restart a mission was due to a timer running out.

Irish

I hope the targets in the next game are more like the targets in the first one. They were so much more satisfying to kill. Especially the doctor guy.

daw840

Neuromancer said:
It's pretty bad. Also I have an issue with the fact you can't restart from a checkpoint either. I was doing one of the assassins tombs, one in a church, got a checkpoint then fell 100 feet to the floor. Well guess what, it didn't kill me, so I had to spend 5 minutes getting back up to where I had just gotten that checkpoint. What was the point of that checkpoint I'd like to know.

That happened to me once, I think I just climbed a little bit up and fell on purpose so I would die.

Irish said:
I hope the targets in the next game are more like the targets in the first one. They were so much more satisfying to kill. Especially the doctor guy.

I agree. Although I liked the overall story in ACII better, some of the individual contracts in AC1 far outshine AC2.

daw840 said:
That happened to me once, I think I just climbed a little bit up and fell on purpose so I would die.
I tried it. Even with one block of health I literally couldn't kill myself, he kept getting one block back.

I bought the game 25 bucks from a friend and I'm dying to play it. I'm trying to hold off and play my backlog until the DLC hits though. I want the maximum experience.lol

Did the devs say if they were going to patch the game with a replay memory option? I'm kind of surprised that this one didn't have the option while the first game did.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Crewnh said:
Did the devs say if they were going to patch the game with a replay memory option? I'm kind of surprised that this one didn't have the option while the first game did.

I think they said they were looking into it but with the way Ezio progresses and how he is at the end it would break the game if you could go back and play earlier missions after you got new weapons and skills. Personally i'd be OK if it just let me use everything i had available at the time of the mission originally.

Crewnh said:
I don't see why they couldn't do it. And who cares if you have skills or weapons you get later in the game? That would just make it more fun IMO.

conman

astroturfing said:
so whats your point? im lying? nah man, i talked a lot with my co-worker about everything, he's apparently best buddies with the Ubi fella.. and yea, i got the impression that they're total conspiracy nuts. hell, i believe in some crazy shit
(ufos are real)
but im nothing compared to my ex- co-worker and his DVD spreading Ubisoft buddy, who MIGHT not believe all the craziness, but the guy i knew most certainly did. he tried to convince me not to use toothpaste because there is some mindcontrol chemical in it. so yeah.
It's not "lying" if you heard it from someone else (who heard it from someone else and so on). It's just called "unreliable."

Also, it sounds like it's not the friend's coworker's wife's brother's dog's walker's husband's friend who's the real "conspiracy nut" here. :D

Finished and got the platinum on AC2 this weekend. Having never played the previous game, I have to say it was a little difficult to get the hang of the controls but got used to it after the second or third hour.
Loved the overall look and the matrix like UI of the game.
Those feathers were a pain in the butt & the races around the city were worse because of the lack of something as simple as showing the next waypoint.

Overall I think this a wonderful and enjoyable multi platform game. Great job UbiSoft!!

fernoca

Just finished the game! :)
Unlike the disappointment that was the first game to me (but still loved the concept, looks and the design of Altair and his weapons)...so got this late December because it was $40 at Best Buy....and darn...this sequel just fixed nearly every complaint I had and improved and added things I didn't even knew I wanted.. :lol

Now to get the only 3 remaining achievements: 100 feathers, wearing the cape and the glyphs.

Great job Ubisoft, can't wait for the next one..so getting it "day one".

And yep, "What the fuck?!" indeed.. :lol

EDIT:
Oh! and I need..well, want an Ezio figure..for under $100.. :lol ..anyone knows where to get them or if any will be released by separate at some point??

So I signed up for the Uplay thing and it's pretty cool getting a free and otherwise unobtainable(?) area (among other things) to use your points towards. The problem is, I've completed the 3rd action
training as Desmond then reentering the animus
before I even signed up and didn't get my points for it even though it says I've completed 3 actions out of 4 (if that is what the 3 means). Kinda bummed. Anyone else with this issue? I want to buy Altair's outfit but can't because of this.

Jeff Stephen said:
You'll need to clear the Assassin's Tombs throughout the game to nab Altair's threads. Not exactly sure if they can be purchased.
No you get his armor that way. The uplay outfit is totally different.

Top Bottom