• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Anybody remember experiencing any graphical glitches during the end of the
Ezio and DaVinci horse carriage chase?
If I have one more next gen system break on me again Im taking a break this year, seriously.

timkunedo

Finally got my 1000/1000 yesterday. The feather collecting is easy since you can go into the animus and see how many you are missing from what district. Anyway....Bring on the DLC!!

I beat the flying mission today. It was way less fun than I thought it was going to be. =(

I wonder if they DLC will include any kind of free flight mode, now that would be cool.

Rikyfree

How do you get stuff from uplay? I have tried getting on there but there are no rewards to claim. And I have almost platinumed the game.

I just finished this on the weekend and loved it. I made a short video of it for kicks
hope you like it

ACII Interpretive Dance

Took about 17 hours to play the story, buy all the weapons, armour and pouch upgrades, upgrade Monteregionni, beat the tombs and find all the viewpoints. I barely touched side missions, feathers or bought very many artworks.

Would compete with UC2 and MW2 for GOTY 2009 for me.

Rikyfree said:
How do you get stuff from uplay? I have tried getting on there but there are no rewards to claim. And I have almost platinumed the game.
Well you have to register your PSN name, at least that's what I had to do with my gamertag.

fernoca

You also have to register/link the account...before starting a new game, since the rewards pop whenever you get that same achievement/trophy.

So if you missed a bonus, just play the game again... :p ..I registered at the very beginning and by the end had everything and 20 points to spare (in Splinter Cell Conviction I guess)

fernoca said:
You also have to register/link the account...before starting a new game, since the rewards pop whenever you get that same achievement/trophy.

So if you missed a bonus, just play the game again... :p ..I registered at the very beginning and by the end had everything and 20 points to spare (in Splinter Cell Conviction I guess)

But how does this explain that I've completed the first 2 actions when I registered part way through the game (after action #3)? I'm pretty far into the game and don't see myself restarting a game of this calbur... they can't retro-activate them or something?

Edit: Just fucking great... I've noticed people complaining about a trophy glitch and sure enough, I'm a victim. I never recieved the trophy for the bleeding effect which is exactly what I need. What the fuck?!?! They expect me to start from the beginning again when I'm I'm used to having all the weapons, areas and skills that I currently posess???? Fuck that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've been playing 2 1/2 hours now and I don't even have a cloak. Bummer.

I also seem to have missed out on a courier mission? It either disappeared when I got the feathers for the kid or it was helping his mother. I wasn't paying close enough attention.

crispyben

Dice said:
I've been playing 2 1/2 hours now and I don't even have a cloak. Bummer.

I also seem to have missed out on a courier mission? It either disappeared when I got the feathers for the kid or it was helping his mother. I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Don't you have the assassin's garb? I also refused that mission because I initiated it by mistake, I hope it's not gone forever... Last I remember, the icon was still on my map!

Finally beat + Platinum'd the game today, after it killed my PS3 2 months ago. Had to start over on the new one. But yeah.. pretty good game. Never played the first so I didn't know what to expect.

Gotta say, though - I absolutely despised the lock-on system, fighting camera, and AI pathfinding (and sometimes the AI in general). The controls aren't as precise as I'd like, either, when it comes to making jumps - but for the most part, they're pretty good.

Oh, and the fact that absolutely no one in Italy can swim except for Ezio is hilarious. That and that their pockets are full of rocks. :lol I found myself 'exploiting' the game that way by throwing enemies into it every chance I got.

ACE 1991

Just finished the game for 360. I loved the ending, it really has me pumped for Assassin's Creed III.

Here are my thoughts:

What I liked

-Free running: Just like the first game, this part of the game is still first rate, and really gives Ezio both a sense of elegance and speed.

-Variety: From puzzle solving to Catacomb traversing, this game really did fix the main problem I, and many others, had with the first Assassin's Creed.

-The story/characters: Although I had a bit of a tough time following some of the interrelationships between characters (thank god for the conspirator web) the story felt fairly well placed throughout, and certainly kept me intrigued. Ezio is a great character, and I found it interesting to watch him gradually mature throughout the course of the game.

-Assassinations: Something about stabbing a dude in both eyes feels oh so right.

-The world: The world itself and it's inhabitants (save for the guys holding the fucking crates, only to drop them if I you so much as brush up against them) are both incredibly well realized, to a degree I haven't seen since GTA IV.

-The music: Awesome soundtrack all around. I particularly loved the opening credits song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0i6YFrSs6c

What I didn't

-Combat:The weakest part of the game. Although the cinematic kills were neat, the basic combat still feels clunky, unsatisfying, and far too easy. By the end of the game I still didn't feel like I had a good handle on either the flow of combat or the timing. (the game never forced me to due to it's difficulty, and I never felt compelled to really dig in and understand the systems at work in combat.)

-Precision Platforming: Although I loved the 6 secret location levels, they exposed some of the issues inherent with the games climbing/jumping system, which I found frustrating when trying to execute very specific jumps.

NightHawk

Neo Member
This was one of my GOTY's. The way they revamped the whole game was simply amazing. I currently have 910/1000 and am very close to the 100 feathers. Great game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay I just played a looooooot more... and I had it in mind to finally get some sleep. Oops!

I love getting that guy with the cape. The soldiers suck at getting him and then I'm all like "Ohhhh! Did I just interrupt your capers with my knife-to-the-face skills? Thanks for the cash!"

Another funny thing to do is chain kill soldiers before they can get into proper battle mode. You just walk from one to the next to the next stabbing them in the gut and they don't do anything! :lol

NeoUltima

I like the combat quite a bit, but it needs to be way more challenging. The AI is not agressive enough and you don't take enough damage. Being able to hold up to 15 potions doesn't make it any harder either...Don't see why they couldn't include a "hard mode"...I imagine it would have taken minimal effort(cut down lifebar, reduce potion effectiveness, more aggressive ai including increased notoriety/alert status, etc).

The only times I died in the game were due to finicky jumping controls.

As with many of my favorite games this gen, lack of difficulty holds me back from replaying as much I would have liked.

ACE 1991

NeoUltima said:
I like the combat quite a bit, but it needs to be way more challenging. The AI is not agressive enough and you don't take enough damage. Being able to hold up to 15 potions doesn't make it any harder either...Don't see why they couldn't include a "hard mode"...I imagine it would have taken minimal effort(cut down lifebar, reduce potion effectiveness, more aggressive ai including increased notoriety/alert status, etc).

The only times I died in the game were due to finicky jumping controls.

As with many of my favorite games this gen, lack of difficulty holds me back from replaying as much I would have liked.

So did you find the combat system to be deep enough to want it to be harder? I feel the simplicity of the system would merely be more noticeable if the game were harder.

ACE 1991 said:
Precision Platforming: Although I loved the 6 secret location levels, they exposed some of the issues inherent with the games climbing/jumping system, which I found frustrating when trying to execute very specific jumps.
I agree. It's even worse when it's timed because it's way too easy for the game to incorrectly interpret what you meant the character to do.

Rikyfree

Neuromancer said:
I agree. It's even worse when it's timed because it's way too easy for the game to incorrectly interpret what you meant the character to do.
I absolutely loved the platforming sections. Is there any way to replay them without starting over the game?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Rikyfree said:
I absolutely loved the platforming sections. Is there any way to replay them without starting over the game?

Oddly, unlike the memory sequences, the tombs and whatnot ARE replayable via the DNA menu.

TTG

In the new press release Ubisoft just put out they state that Assassin's Creed 2 has already surpassed the 6 million mark(that was the number for the first game I think) and is on the way to 9 million by the end of the year. :D

Very happy to see a relatively new franchise that does things very differently do so well.

ACE 1991

TTG said:
In the new press release Ubisoft just put out they state that Assassin's Creed 2 has already surpassed the 6 million mark(that was the number for the first game I think) and is on the way to 9 million by the end of the year. :D

Very happy to see a relatively new franchise that does things very differently do so well.

Not a huge surprise given the impressive sales of the first game.

Agent X

fernoca said:

I don't think it necessarily has to be done before starting a new game. When AC2 was first released, I played for the first day without signing up for Uplay, and earned one of the Uplay rewards. When I finally registered with Uplay the next day, that reward was recognized, and 10 points were added to my account (along with an additional 10 points for signing up for the service).

Just to be safe, though, I'd suggest signing up for it as soon as possible. It would be a pain to play halfway through the game, then register for Uplay and not get credited for your rewards.

finally have the game.

i like it so far. parcouring took a bit of time to get used to, but that's mainly because of the fact that i was playing infamous before..

i LOVE to walk around in firenze!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice side missions, nice pacing..
character design could be better..

playing it in italian :p to give it the historical edge.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Just finished the game. Best storyline in a game in recent memory, hands down. The only thing I didn't do was collect all 100 feathers. I got to 50 and just said to hell with it.

Although I liked Altair and the atmosphere of the first game, ACII beats it in every conceivable way.

Actually, I wish they'd play around with a couple more periods in time before going all the way with Desmonds story,

I laughed so hard when I referenced a trophy guide to see if there was more to the trophy that I had "missed" and it said "these [story trophies] are impossible to miss as you unlock them automatically while playing through the story missions".

It still burns me seeing that missed trophy knowing I'll have to restart the game to get it. Does anyone know if having multiple saves within AC2 affects the uplay points? I want to start a new file in the game and unlock the trophy/uplay points.... will the reward be recognized in both files or just the newest save file?

Neverfade

12 rounds with the Pope...

Fuck you Ubi.

Conviction is your last chance to convince me to continue buying anything from you.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 AMIRITE?

BigBoss

-Winnie- said:
WTF at 0:35. That dude is a fucking beast.

India_Monkey_King_scales_new_height.gif

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Granted im not very far, maybe an hour or two in, but so far Ezio is just getting on my nerves....cant explain why..... I hope i change my feelings about it as i get further since its quite distracting right now.

Other than that, the game is great and is leaps and bounds better than the original.

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
Ah well...I saw it without the update.

Anyway, I don't give a rat's ass about Ezio. Not sure if want. I also wonder if development duties will fall on some b-team while the core guys concentrate on AC3.
The tomb levels weren't made by the core team...so there is some hope there if that turns out to be the case.

jergrah

Im still slowly making my way through ACII and loving every minute of it - dont want it to end.

On another note, I dont remember the last time I bought a game guide, but I saw the hardcover CE prima guide at Barnes and Noble earlier this week and couldnt pass it up. Awesome cover and impressively styled book. Includes quite a bit of concept art and some behind the scenes info from the design team. If you are a fan of the game - Id suggest checking it out. Here's the link to it on Amazon ($20)

419vlxPqtaL._SS500_.jpg

fernoca

Just got all the achievements second game I do it..first game being Resident Evil 5.
Well worth it..and the secret (The Truth) movie..was worth looking all the Glyphs.

Top Bottom