• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

I was making a reference to someone that said that they didn't know how to find a place in the game and got on Google Earth and found it because the landmarks are that accurate :lol

Minamu

The PS3 version looks pretty amazing to me. Sure, there was some tearing near the beginning & the framerate is noticably low from time to time but damn, it's so much fun :D I have played maybe 2-3 hours & I haven't even donned the real assassin suit yet. I had to go to bed to catch some Z's & when I woke up, I was really skeptical about whether or not I had actually played AC2 or just dreamt about it :lol Don't think that has happened to me before... Good game is good. I'm kinda okay with some pop-ins & bad framerate. It sorta fits within the story, wouldn't you guys say? :p It's sort of like if the Matrix was built by humans & not by machines. It's bound to have some rather big hiccups from time to time ;) We're just not efficient enough, you know?

Ranger X

ultron87 said:
So awesome that this is a viable answer for finding stuff in this game. Not awesome that you have to do it for the glyphs (that could've been marked on the map somehow), but still amazing.

When do you get the ability to disarm people? It's just a counter when you have your fists equipped, correct? I just did the first combat training sequence
at Monteriggione.

I haven't fought anyone after that sequence yet so I suppose I could've just unlocked it.

You'll get "disarm" during sequence 4, in the same or following missions where you get
the throwing knives.

Zeliard

brandonh83 said:
I was making a reference to someone that said that they didn't know how to find a place in the game and got on Google Earth and found it because the landmarks are that accurate :lol

Well, the major landmarks are directly modeled after their real-life counterparts, so looking them up should be a viable tactic. :p

REV 09

this game's first couple of hours are really mediocre, slow, and just plain boring. i feel like it was holding my hand for way too long. i think i'm finally on my own though...so it should start getting better.

Ranger X said:
It's very simple guys. Some games have 2 character models, one in-game (lower poly lower detail) and another set for cut-scenes (high-res, more details). Uncharted 2 is a prime example of this.
In AC2, it's there's only one set of characters. They look a bit worse in cut-scenes but it's only because the camera is near.

I've seen lower poly detail models for NPCs (random people roaming the streets). Detail pops in/out depending on how far you are from them.

Uncharted 2 does a good job making you think it's cutscenes are actually real time because they rarely go in close on faces during gameplay, and cutscenes have really similar lighting (although not exactly the same) and no visible compression artifacts.

Saya

I need some help with another riddle.
It's one where you have to put the paintings in chronologically order I think. The clues are (playing the game in Dutch so I'm probably have made some errors with the translation): took something from a tree, his powers made him perform miracles, ripped apart and under a sea of 'red'. Crap and I just forgot one of the other clues...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Saya said:
I need some help with another riddle.
It's one where you have to put the paintings in chronologically order I think. The clues are (playing the game in Dutch so I'm probably have made some errors with the translation): took something from a tree, his powers made him perform miracles, ripped apart and under a sea of 'red'. Crap and I just forgot one of the other clues...
Isn't it the one where you have to select the paintings with blood?

Saya

Blimblim said:
Isn't it the one where you have to select the paintings with blood?

No, I don't think so.
There is no blood in those paintings I think. It's the paintings with Jozef in Egypt, Perseus, David & Goliath, Hendrik VII, Hannibal, Jesus Last Supper painting, another Jesus painting with red clothing, Prometheus, Borgia and one painting with some French guy (forgot his name).

Saya said:
No, I don't think so.
There is no blood in those paintings I think. It's the paintings with Jozef in Egypt, Perseus, David & Goliath, Hendrik VII, Hannibal, Jesus Last Supper painting, another Jesus painting with red clothing, Prometheus, Borgia and one painting with some French guy (forgot his name).

pick the pics with anything in red i believe

When I got the tour of Venice
I got pissed off at the guards who were harassing the merchant so I just stabbed all 3 of them as they walked by :lol

OmonRa

Tiduz said:
im not sure if this is a joke or for real :lol

It's not a joke. The database puts a red icon next to buildings with glyphs. Google the building, it will tell you the district it's in in Florence or Venice. You can then use google maps to get an approximate location and it should be around there in the game.

Ranger X

infinityBCRT said:
I've seen lower poly detail models for NPCs (random people roaming the streets). Detail pops in/out depending on how far you are from them.

Uncharted 2 does a good job making you think it's cutscenes are actually real time because they rarely go in close on faces during gameplay, and cutscenes have really similar lighting (although not exactly the same) and no visible compression artifacts.

It's hard to explain, I wish I had more technical terms to explain it but there's "lod levels" on the models and it's different than having 2 sets entirely. There's 2 or 3 lod levels in AC2 for stuff and Ezio in the cut-scenes is the same as Ezio you're playing with or any other character at that distance.
If you go up close to your characters in Uncharted, you never get the cut-scenes' ones because they are entirely different models with MUCH more details. I wish all games would be like that but choices have to be made for different reasons. I suppose it's cool to at least have real cut-scenes this time around in Assassin's Creed. :/

Ranger X said:
It's hard to explain, I wish I had more technical terms to explain it but there's "lod levels" on the models and it's different than having 2 sets entirely. There's 2 or 3 lod levels in AC2 for stuff and Ezio in the cut-scenes is the same as Ezio you're playing with or any other character at that distance.
If you go up close to your characters in Uncharted, you never get the cut-scenes' ones because they are entirely different models with MUCH more details. I wish all games would be like that but choices have to be made for different reasons. I suppose it's cool to at least have real cut-scenes this time around in Assassin's Creed. :/

Hopefully for AC3, every character thats in a cutscene does get a cutscene model.

Nemesis_

OmonRa said:
It's not a joke. The database puts a red icon next to buildings with glyphs. Google the building, it will tell you the district it's in in Florence or Venice. You can then use google maps to get an approximate location and it should be around there in the game.
While I haven't had enough trouble to do this, the team worked wonders in replicating the areas in AC1 and I have no doubt this is the same in AC2.

They deserve a lot of credit.

Dead

well not really...yet
So there is a viewpoint tower in teh first part of Venice that is absolutely impsosible to climb

Its the Santa Maria Gloriosa Dei Frari

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I can't find any way whatsover to climb this tower.

OmonRa

Dead said:
So there is a viewpoint tower in teh first part of Venice that is absolutely impsosible to climb

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I can't find any way whatsover to climb this tower.

Keep playing - you'll learn something that lets you climb it.

Dead said:

you get the wall jump skill yet?

Ranger X

You can climb the Frari tower right at the beginning...

You need to climb on the main church and jump on the tower from the side.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ranger X said:
You can climb the Frari tower right at the beginning...

You need to climb on the main church and jump on the tower from the side.

No, its impossible. There are no ledges to go all the way up.

Im at the church and I jump to the highest ledge I can get to. Above it there is some square stone that my character is not able to grab due to not being close enough.

Ive been trying so many different ways and its just not possible.

Ranger X

Dead said:
No, its impossible. There are no ledges to go all the way up.

Im at the church and I jump to the highest ledge I can get to. Above it there is some square stone that my character is not able to grab.

Am I mixing it with the Duomo maybe? I have this HUGE white-ish tower in mind...

Dead

well not really...yet
Ranger X said:
Am I mixing it with the Duomo maybe? I have this HUGE white-ish tower in mind...

Its a brick tower. Brown. Not white.

Its where the Gamestop Templar Lair dungeon is.

The game is great so far, but has anyone else noticed when the game tries to be humorous, it ends up being as funny as a bag of foreskins? It just seems like a lot of the humor and even some of the regular dialogue is written with the poise and grace of a script writer from "iCarly".

FrostuTheNinja said:
The game is great so far, but has anyone else noticed when the game tries to be funny it ends up being as funny as a bag of foreskins? It just seems like a lot of the humor and even some of the regular dialogue is written with the poise and grace of a script writer from "iCarly".

i mean its the italian renaissance. what do you expect. lol

Ranger X

Dead said:
Its a brick tower. Brown. Not white.

Its where the Gamestop Templar Lair dungeon is.

k, It's the Duomo's tower I had in mind then. My bad ;)

italieflorenceelduomo.jpg

DrPirate

Banned
akachan ningen said:
joke post?

Are you really going to argue the puzzles and platforming in Uncharted 2 are better than AC2?

Purely stripping away all the things the games do differently. AC2 has Uncharted 2 beat in those 2 areas. That's all I'm saying.

ultron87

bigGIRLSblouse said:
I got up there 30 min into the game. It is possible.

I think there is confusion among different towers here. The bell tower by the Duomo in Florence is easily climbable by jumping from main church.

I think the one that someone is having trouble with is in Venice.

I just started this game and I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on in the first part

They break me out of some place and then I am going to work for some people....yet I have some bleeding effect and I'm becoming an Assassin yet my ancestors are Assassins?

Honestly this game does a piss poor job of introducing new players to what is going on. None of it makes sense...

Other than that it looks great and I really want to get into it more

Top Bottom