• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

MMaRsu

Zeliard said:
Just how short are some people's attention spans? This is why we keep getting lowest-common-denominator trash like Call of Duty. The start with Desmond lasts like 15 minutes and is what gives context to your actions, and the Ezio character build-up is slow but still much better than simply suddenly sticking you in the shoes of some assassin archetype like in AC1.

Some people are just dumb :p.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've got like 20 hours of gameplay in and I'm not even out of Florence yet. I'm milking this baby for every last morsel of fun I can squeeze out of it. I was up until like 4:30 in the morning last night doing all my recently unlocked assassination side missions (more of these as a DLC pack please! Do it Ubi!!!). Yes I overslept and was late for work. No I don't give a shit.

One of the most knee slappingly awesome things I've done in a video game to date was the assassination mission called Meeting Adjourned where you have to take out five guarded targets. I failed it once, but the second time, after some actual planning and not just running in like a dumbass, I managed to jump down on one, run up and double-hidden blade two more, then lunged at the fourth. The poor fifth guy, the only guy who knew what the fuck was going on, tried to make a run for the exit and only made it about three steps before I stabbed him in the back, made a beeline up the side of a building and was out of the guards' range in moments. The whole thing was so fluid and took maybe 10-15 seconds tops before I was gone leaving a pile of carcasses. :D

I'm going to cry tears of anguish when I run out of game to play here. I don't think I've ever wanted to replay a game this much before even having finished it!

LiQuid! said:
I'm going to cry tears of anguish when I run out of game to play here. I don't think I've ever wanted to replay a game this much before even having finished it!
As much as I dislike the structure of AC1 this game makes me want to go back and play some AC1 as well.

holy fuck at the ending! Mind Blowing! Love the game in its entirity. The locations, the action, the story, damn near perfect. AC3 is going to open pandora's box. Cant wait, now im even more hyped than before this games release. lol.

sangreal

ugh, my villa is at 95% -- just missing the 50 and 100 feather unlocks which I really don't want to do (but I do want the cape)

I really liked the whole Villa thing though. I hope they expand on it in AC3

Katana_Strikes said:
Game is awful. Hated the first one but reading impressions on this, I was hoping it would be different... how wrong.

Never again with this series. I'm out.

The start is completely dreadful. Why did they think to bother with all this present day nonesense? It's not fun or enjoyable. Yapping on about crap then running through generic corridoors and beating up guards with terrible combat, before more running about unexciting environments and talking to more people you couldn't give a shit about.

By the time I got to the proper stuff I was nearly half a sleep. But I was so bored playing I just gave up. Having played the likes of U2, Batman etc. this year, this really feels poor. And lots of screen tearing and textures/objects popping in. Yuck.

I know it's not diplomatic to say someone's opinion is wrong but I think you've just pushed the envelope. Lawls :lol

LiQuid! said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I wish I hadn't "rushed" through the story like I did and rather concentrated on each city. Oh well, I will probably do another playthrough to catch some things I missed story-wise.

Ridley327

First off, this game is excellent.

Secondly, has anybody run into some bad bouts of slowdown? I was chasing one of the runners that typically had more money on them and accidentally alerted one of the guards on the rooftops. All of a sudden, the entire game slows to a crawl and was getting close to dropping as bad as single-digit framerates. Killing a couple of pedestrians solved this with the reload, but I was surprised to see it happen. I hope it doesn't repeat anytime soon :-/

But yeah, this game is so good.

LiQuid! said:
One of the most knee slappingly awesome things I've done in a video game to date was the assassination mission called Meeting Adjourned where you have to take out five guarded targets. I failed it once, but the second time, after some actual planning and not just running in like a dumbass, I managed to jump down on one, run up and double-hidden blade two more, then lunged at the fourth. The poor fifth guy, the only guy who knew what the fuck was going on, tried to make a run for the exit and only made it about three steps before I stabbed him in the back, made a beeline up the side of a building and was out of the guards' range in moments. The whole thing was so fluid and took maybe 10-15 seconds tops before I was gone leaving a pile of carcasses. :D

Moments like this are my favorite in AC. Sometime when I've to take down 2-3 guards in close range, I go for quick active kills. Jumping down on the target with hidden blades is very satisfying. :D

Zeliard said:
Just how short are some people's attention spans? This is why we keep getting lowest-common-denominator trash like Call of Duty. The start with Desmond lasts like 15 minutes and is what gives context to your actions, and the Ezio character build-up is slow but still much better than simply suddenly sticking you in the shoes of some assassin archetype like in AC1.

This is so damn true. People are so damn impatient and anyone that claims this game is bad is factually wrong! You might not enjoy the gameplay and how the story enravels, but the engine, gameplay, visuals, sounds, variation, etc all add up to making this one of the BEST sequels to a game ever released. You want a seqeul to exceed and outdue the original title in multiple ways and AC2 does this very thing.

Animator

Guys,

I am just done with merchant of venice. I think memory block 8 or something. How close I am to the end of the game?

I want to stop playing the story for a bit and hunt for the seals, feathers and various other shit because I dont want this game to be over anytime soon :(

BeeDog

Urge to buy Black Edt. riiiisiiiiiiiing... after all these positive impressions, I dunno what to do, ughghguhfguhwiuhgouwgh

Someone donate some money to me :<

I think the start is total shit, i disagree that it has to be there for "character build-up ". It plays like shit and looks like shit. But once i was an hour or so in i really started to like the game, now i'm obsessed with it.

Zeliard

Fix The Scientist said:
I think the start is total shit, i disagree that it has to be there for "character build-up ". It plays like shit and looks like shit. But once i was an hour or so in i really started to like the game, now i'm obsessed with it.

If the player cares at all about Ezio more than they did Altair, it's because of the prologue to the game, and the build-up to his becoming an assassin (including the main reason why). If you remove that you're left with a blank slate that you don't feel attached to at all - just a mindless, highly athletic avatar that you happen to be controlling.

One of the biggest problems with the first game is that it gave you very little reason to care at all about either Desmond or Altair, the latter of which you spent nearly your entire time with.

Fix The Scientist said:

I think your comment is shit and your justification is shit. Does that make your post invalid though?...nope. Just different strokes for different folks.:D :lol Though I question alot of players patience. Its apparent it only takes a hour... or so to get into the meat and potatoes. Can people really not give a 20+ hour game a simple hour to get going?

I guess people that play RPGs are more used to this style of progression then others but still.

LiK

man, i wish Enzio was in scale with my Altair figure. he's a midget.

AC_figs-comparison.jpg

Truant said:
...that this thread isn't nearly as good as the Uncharted 2 thread. Ps. No flame wars. Just sayin.
That's because I didn't make it. ;)
Gotta share the love with other homies.

But Costanza did a good job. Mad respect. Booyakasha.

Katana_Strikes said:
Game is awful. Hated the first one but reading impressions on this, I was hoping it would be different... how wrong.

Ignore List:
Katana_Strikes
Anyone who doesn't like MGS2

You should play it more. Also even with the repetitive nature, AC1 was not "horrible".

Katana_Strikes said:

Never again with this series. I'm out.

The start is completely dreadful. Why did they think to bother with all this present day nonesense? It's not fun or enjoyable. Yapping on about crap then running through generic corridoors and beating up guards with terrible combat, before more running about unexciting environments and talking to more people you couldn't give a shit about.

By the time I got to the proper stuff I was nearly half a sleep. But I was so bored playing I just gave up. Having played the likes of U2, Batman etc. this year, this really feels poor. And lots of screen tearing and textures/objects popping in. Yuck.
jimcar.gif

bardia

How are people saying this game looks really great on ps3? I'm never a graphical nit picker and usually never ever notice things like screen tearing but this game is plagued with tearing and TON of texture pop in, grass etc. Did my install go bad or something? Don't get me wrong it doesn't look that bad, but it's nothing like the people here have been saying.

bardia said:
How are people saying this game looks really great on ps3? I'm never a graphical nit picker and usually never ever notice things like screen tearing but this game is plagued with tearing and TON of texture pop in, grass etc. Did my install go bad or something? Don't get me wrong it doesn't look that bad, but it's nothing like the people here have been saying.

The game looks beautiful from a distance but like MW2 the closer you get to something the worse it looks. Cutscenes are the worst cause you see that all the characters hands don't even have textures.

Really looking forward to this game's UK release tomorrow, thought kind of disappointed the crazy price war didn't break out for this game like it did MW2 :/

bardia said:
I've noticed some texture popping too on PS3, but nothing that breaks the playing experience. It's still a great looking game - I'm actually having more fun exploring, admiring the sights than with the assassinations (which, to me, feel like more of the same from AC1).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not looking to start any weird PS3/360 duel, but does the 360 version have less tearing than the PS3 version?

I just want the version that performs better, but if the difference is negligible, I'll probably go with the PS3 version.

Ranger X

Rez said:
I'm not looking to start any weird PS3/360 duel, but does the 360 version have less tearing than the PS3 version?

I just want the version that performs better, but if the difference is negligible, I'll probably go with the PS3 version.

Technically it's having less tearing for sure because it's capped at 30fps. You can safely say bye bye to all tearing occuring in higher framerates. The PS3 can go over therefore you're not only suffering from the the sub 30fps tearing.
Speaking specifically of the PS3, the game is running better than AC1 in general, less tearing.

Zeliard

Rez said:

Digital Foundry did a detailed comparison:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-ii-face-off-article

360 version comes out as technically superior (less tearing, more consistent framerate, better image quality). However, the PS3 port of AC2 is still much better than the AC1 port and the comparison is a lot closer this time around.

Their final summary:

Digital Foundry said:
In the final analysis, it's fair to say that while Assassin's Creed II has a number of important advantages on Xbox 360, the crucial thing is that the improvements to the PS3 engine are such that the performance deficit isn't going to get in the way of having a great time. It's an essential game on both platforms, but if you've got both consoles, the 360 version is clearly the more solid performer.

NinjaFusion said:
really torn on which version to buy tomorrow... prefer the dualshock.... and trophies > achievements.... but ar the issues on PS3 so terrible?

If put over 15 hours into the PS3 version so far and think it's just fine.

Ranger X

The difference sounds pretty negligible also from the general impressions in this thread.

If I were you I would go with my favorite controller or something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sweet, thanks guys. it looks like both are quality, but that screen-tear percentage difference is too big too pass up since I have the choice, anyway. I think I'll go with 360, that's what I bought AC1 on, so I'm more used to the controller.

Thanks! :)

Loudninja

Rez said:

Its depends on the person, I seen different opinions on both versions.

EzLink

Banned
Damn, do you eventually unlock treasure maps that show you all of the feather locations? I'm assuming not, but Gamefaqsing that shit will be tedious as hell

Sean

Banned
In a way this game kind of reminds me of Fable II (the whole real estate element thing and being able to dye your clothes and stuff).

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I keep getting distracted with all of the side things rather than the main story.

Top Bottom