• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

duckroll

Corky said:
I reckon this has been asked a billion times already, but the reception seems very good but my financial status isnt all that at the moment so I was just wondering :

I bought the first one and played 2h before putting it on hold forever, I really want to give 2 another shot but should I stay away from it seeing as I really disliked the first one? '

thx

I guess it really depends on what you didn't like about the first one. Not every sort of game is for everyone after all. Personally I loved the original, even though I acknowledge that it is a very flawed game. For a first entry in a franchise, and one which had such high ambitions I felt it got a lot of the concept and feel right. If AC2 was almost identical to AC1 though, I wouldn't have liked it as much at all, because I feel sequels should improve on the originals to earn their right as sequels. AC2 has surpassed all my expectations and totally delivers on what a sequel SHOULD be.

If you didn't enjoy the idea of climbing around in historical cities/structures, and being an assassin, then you probably won't like AC2 either. But if you liked the concept, but felt that the original was too repetitive, and that the narrative and design was rather weak, then AC2 pretty much addresses ALL the valid gameplay complains of the original. There is not only MORE in AC2, but everything is also BETTER. It's really impressive.

Ridley327

duckroll said:
It's not available for redemption yet. Lulz.

I actually got my hands on it for the 360 and it's disappointing, to say the least. It's just a static image of one of the cities (Florence?) and it doesn't look very good with the current dashboard. Oh well.

The Altair costume is pretty cool, but it's impressive just how much cooler Ezio looks in comparison. I love this game so much.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
duckroll said:
If you didn't enjoy the idea of climbing around in historical cities/structures, and being an assassin, then you probably won't like AC2 either. But if you liked the concept, but felt that the original was too repetitive, and that the narrative and design was rather weak, then AC2 pretty much addresses ALL the valid gameplay complains of the original. There is not only MORE in AC2, but everything is also BETTER. It's really impressive.

:O, that sounds awesome, the first sentance is what i loved about the concept. Its just that the combat was ( IMO ) sooooooooo appaling that everytime I got attacked I just wanted to put down the controller.

But judging from your post and many others it seems these issues are taken care of ...bah I really need a sugar momma'

Is it just me or is this game not that good?

I mean the opening scenes are laughable, the lead character is a total herb, and after playing through Uncharted, the graphics on the cut scenes remind me of N64 stuff.

Then I'm running all around the town doing odd jobs and stuff, it's like a midieval version of Shenmue, but it's not nearly as engrossing, because I don't care about the characters.

Does the game get better? I played 1/3 of the way through AC1 2 years ago, and just got bored with it, but that was understandable given the repetitive nature of the setup.

I'm hoping it picks up a bit, because I want to like the game, but was really dissappointed last night while playing it.

Grecco

So ive been doing the optional assassinations. I did one called Political Suicide. There were two dudes behind gaurds and i used the courtesans to distract the gaurds to be able to kill the guy problem is he had another guy next to him who ran away i chased him down and killed him. and the game said WARNING EZIO DID NOT KILL ANY CIVILIANS

hope i didnt fuck up or anything.

jett

D-Member
Grecco said:
So ive been doing the optional assassinations. I did one called Political Suicide. There were two dudes behind gaurds and i used the courtesans to distract the gaurds to be able to kill the guy problem is he had another guy next to him who ran away i chased him down and killed him. and the game said WARNING EZIO DID NOT KILL ANY CIVILIANS

hope i didnt fuck up or anything.

lol no. You just can't kill civilians in the game. AC1 was the same. If you kill too many you get a pseudo game over and your last save is re-loaded.

Got my Black Edition today. Has anyone had any problems with the bonus code? I've tried multiple input attempts, in caps, lower-case, with dashes, without... none of them bloody work. Getting frustrated with it all.

MMaRsu

dsmoke1986 said:

I mean the opening scenes are laughable, the lead character is a total herb, and after playing through Uncharted, the graphics on the cut scenes remind me of N64 stuff.

Then I'm running all around the town doing odd jobs and stuff, it's like a midieval version of Shenmue, but it's not nearly as engrossing, because I don't care about the characters.

Does the game get better? I played 1/3 of the way through AC1 2 years ago, and just got bored with it, but that was understandable given the repetitive nature of the setup.

I'm hoping it picks up a bit, because I want to like the game, but was really dissappointed last night while playing it.

Sorry dude, but how about you read the thread? Also comparing UC2 graphics to a game like this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

MMaRsu said:
Sorry dude, but how about you read the thread? Also comparing UC2 graphics to a game like this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Absolutely. Uncharted 2 is king, but lets not forget that its a linear experience. Assassins Creed 2 looks PLENTY good for an open world game and is easily in the top tier.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
is there a trick to finding tombs?

i just found my 4th and i had to cancel mission to enter but then it teleported me back and now i cant find it anymore

:lol

Porkepik

Will be keeping this one to finish it, EB had a gaming guarantee on it so I could get a full refund for 1 week but I really like the game, was doubtful that they would have improved so much the AC1 gameplay. Oh well I think I wll be able to resell it okay in a couple of weeks, don't have the time to finish it by wednesday to get the guarantee. Or maybe I could try to rent it for 1 week after that .

Still the game is great

tino

Banned
Just finished the game. The good things are similar to the first game, which are the climbing and the eagle points. The big cities are amazing to free run it. They stacked the production value up the wazoo! The new Assassin tombs are my favorite part. They are hard as fuck but they are really good. They even have better triggered chase events than the story mode.

The story of Ezio is much better than the first one. I even care about the supporting characters.

But the gameplay is still pretty weak. And the replay value is so-so. The boss kill missions are easy and forgettable. Actually they are more forgettable than the first few boss missions of AC1. The structure of the ending gameplay is only slightly better than AC1. Also, I am in
sistene chapel and the ceiling is completely dark? WTF? I know its not the same Pope but still. It felt low budget too.

While we are on the subject of Renaissance figures, Da Vinci is not a geek ok, they could have done so much more if they just read a 20-page biography of Da Vinci.

The scifi element is just retarded "McGuffin" to keep people's attention. I think most people will agree to that.

I give it a 7,8 out of 10. Well I like Rosa so I give it a 8.

iamcool388 said:
Absolutely. Uncharted 2 is king, but lets not forget that its a linear experience. Assassins Creed 2 looks PLENTY good for an open world game and is easily in the top tier.

I guess, but I wish they would've done the cutscenes without the models used...The lead character looks corny as hell, I keep on thinking I'm controlling Joe Flacco.

mjc

I was playing last night and I decided to scope out my game time stats on the pause screen. Turns out I've been playing for seven hours, and I'm still doing stuff in Florence. I briefly visited Tuscany but I haven't moved forward very much. I really like this game.

MMaRsu

Goddamnit the wait for this game is killing me :(. Thank god I have tomorrow off and chilling with my GF, gonna watch The Descent ( supposed to be a good horror movie? ), eat ben & jerrys and smoke weed lol.

Then monday I'm gonna be awake from 8AM till whenever I want to stop playing because I have to be home for the UPS delivery guy.

Probably not even going to touch Dragons Age on monday :lol

GAFers in Europe, particularly in Germany, specifically in Frankfurt,

Would I be able to do a walk-in purchase for this game, if I'm looking for the Black Edition, in places like Saturn in the Zeil area, or Mediamarkt at Nordwestzentrum? Or are there any other specialty stores that stocks the said Edition, that I can grab off-shelf? Or am I limited to buying off Amazon.de for this?

Reason being, I'll be in Frankfurt for 2 days, and can only allocate a day to do a search for this, on the 27th. Time's a luxury I do not have.

Ranger X

Mana Sin said:
Assassin Tombs appear on the map.

Anyway, could someone answer my previous question on the topic of the Leonardo machine?

It's the only mission where you use the machine and can kick a guard. And that achievement is the only one you can "miss" and not do later. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MMaRsu said:
Goddamnit the wait for this game is killing me :(. Thank god I have tomorrow off and chilling with my GF, gonna watch The Descent ( supposed to be a good horror movie? ), eat ben & jerrys and smoke weed lol.

Then monday I'm gonna be awake from 8AM till whenever I want to stop playing because I have to be home for the UPS delivery guy.

Probably not even going to touch Dragons Age on monday :lol

musn't..quote....nghh...avatar....gaaaaaah

Mana Sin

Ugh, the game froze on me after two double assassinations. I'm reinstalling the HDD data. Again. I hope Ubisoft releases a patch or something to put an end to all of this glitchy nonsense.

Edit: I missed it? .... :'( ... I guess I won't get a platinum until next year, or whenever it is that the story has become foggy enough tot he point where I can replay it without being totally bored.
I hate repetition with an unholy passion.

sangreal

Solid warrior said:
I'm stuck @
Altair's Mission
after the target closes the door, I just can't climb higher to the top of the tower, help please? :(

You have to jump straight up from the ledge to grab that wooden plank. It took me forever to figure it out for some reason :lol .

Just hit jump without a direction

sangreal said:
You have to jump straight up from the ledge to grab that wooden plank. It took me forever to figure it out for some reason :lol .

Just hit jump without a direction
wtf, it worked. @_@ this shit is confusing.

Ranger X

Mana Sin said:
Ugh, the game froze on me after two double assassinations. I'm reinstalling the HDD data. Again. I hope Ubisoft releases a patch or something to put an end to all of this glitchy nonsense.

Edit: I missed it? .... :'( ... I guess I won't get a platinum until next year, or whenever it is that the story has become foggy enough tot he point where I can replay it without being totally bored.
I hate repetition with an unholy passion.

The installing thing (and probably the resulting bugs) are entirely on the console's part actually. I seem to hear there is more bugs/problems with people installing their game so maybe you shouldn't install it and that's all. I doubt there would be a patch for this (not that I know if it's unpatcheable or not mind you).
If you speak of the PS3 version then, tuff luck. It must be some extremely rare crash because the game is truly solid this time around. (AC1 was crashing, Ubi knew that and they focused on build solidity with AC2)

OmonRa

Vilix said:
When Minerva says "Do not believe in the cross", it's really only coming down to one particular faith, doesn't it?
You make good points. But, I wasn't speaking of just this game, but both. Ubisoft could've put the francise in another time and place. Look at all the other Assassins that came before Anzio and Altair. I'm not offended, mind you. I think it's a great story. ^.^

She is referring to the Templar cross. And the fact that she is MINERVA and used to go by Mera/Merva implies that both the Roman Gods and Etruscan Gods were a bunch of BS too. It's not targetting Christianity specifically, but the concept of supreme supernatural beings.

jett

D-Member
Ranger X said:
It's the only mission where you use the machine and can kick a guard. And that achievement is the only one you can "miss" and not do later. :(

edited because I Was wrong about replaying the story missions

slayn

needs to show more effort.
ps3 version just crashed on me entering a codex building :(

Also, one complaint I have story wise is it doesn't seem to do a very good job showing the passing of time. I just had a cutscene that told me
10 years had passed since Ezio's family was killed.
. But just from playing I wouldn't have thought anywhere near that amount of time had passed.

Being more consistent about the passing of time might have made the story feel more grandiose.

Mana Sin

Ranger X said:
The installing thing (and probably the resulting bugs) are entirely on the console's part actually. I seem to hear there is more bugs/problems with people installing their game so maybe you shouldn't install it and that's all. I doubt there would be a patch for this (not that I know if it's unpatcheable or not mind you).
If you speak of the PS3 version then, tuff luck. It must be some extremely rare crash because the game is truly solid this time around. (AC1 was crashing, Ubi knew that and they focused on build solidity with AC2)

Is there anyway to ensure a better installation then? This is my second reinstall, the first was done become Ezio decided he liked phasing through solid matter and the second was because the game froze as I assassinated people on two separate occasions. The second of which was a really nice double.. double kill! I'd hate for this game to be ruined for me because of something so silly.

OmonRa

tino said:
Just finished the game. The good things are similar to the first game, which are the climbing and the eagle points. The big cities are amazing to free run it. They stacked the production value up the wazoo! The new Assassin tombs are my favorite part. They are hard as fuck but they are really good. They even have better triggered chase events than the story mode.

The story of Ezio is much better than the first one. I even care about the supporting characters.

But the gameplay is still pretty weak. And the replay value is so-so. The boss kill missions are easy and forgettable. Actually they are more forgettable than the first few boss missions of AC1. The structure of the ending gameplay is only slightly better than AC1. Also, I am in
sistene chapel and the ceiling is completely dark? WTF? I know its not the same Pope but still. It felt low budget too.

While we are on the subject of Renaissance figures, Da Vinci is not a geek ok, they could have done so much more if they just read a 20-page biography of Da Vinci.

The scifi element is just retarded "McGuffin" to keep people's attention. I think most people will agree to that.

I give it a 7,8 out of 10. Well I like Rosa so I give it a 8.

Um -
The Sistine Chapel ceiling hadn't been painted in 1499. It only had stars up there.

Ranger X

jett said:
Did you really work on the game? :p First you say that the PS3 version is not capped at 30fps. It's capped. You can replay any mission or memory from the DNA sequence in the main menu.

Last I know of the PS3 version is that it was capped. Do you realise there's 250+ poeple that worked on this game and that I also am not a "lead something". They might have capped it right before releasing. I sure didn't check on the retail version. At the latest moment i've been on that version it wasn't capped yet and some higher people told me it wouldn't be at retail either.
And you can't replay the missions, I don't know wich version you are playing :p

Ranger X

Mana Sin said:
Is there anyway to ensure a better installation then? This is my second reinstall, the first was done become Ezio decided he liked phasing through solid matter and the second was because the game froze as I assassinated people on two separate occasions. The second of which was a really nice double.. double kill! I'd hate for this game to be ruined for me because of something so silly.

Why do you trust the install feature? I will never ever install a game personally because this is managed by the Xbox itself so you completely rely on Microsoft reliance wich is not something great. Just play the game by inserting and removing the DVD and you will have ZERO problems. Ain't it worth the ridiculously small effort if it saves you from stupid bugs?

Razorskin

----- ------
Oh shit almost stumbled into the spoiler thread.

This game is amazing, I liked the first one but I love the second. I've just gotten into Venice and been looking for glyphs and codexs.

Mana Sin

Ranger X said:
Why do you trust the install feature? I will never ever install a game personally because this is managed by the Xbox itself so you completely rely on Microsoft reliance wich is not something great. Just play the game by inserting and removing the DVD and you will have ZERO problems. Ain't it worth the ridiculously small effort if it saves you from stupid bugs?

Isn't the PS3 install mandatory? I know it's never asked me for permission to do so. I usually do installs for better load times.... When asked.

& I'm sad now, the other guy said missions were re-playable... but they are not.

jett

D-Member
Ranger X said:
Last I know of the PS3 version is that it was capped. Do you realise there's 250+ poeple that worked on this game and that I also am not a "lead something". They might have capped it right before releasing. I sure didn't check on the retail version. At the latest moment i've been on that version it wasn't capped yet and some higher people told me it wouldn't be at retail either.
And you can't replay the missions, I don't know wich version you are playing :p

Oh right I'm sorry you're right, I just checked...you can't replay the missions. :| I thought since you could access other memories you could do the missions too. That is SO lame. SO lame. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lame.

So lame.

PS3 version is capped at 30 though, I can tell you that with certainty. :p

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:

I was mistaken. You can replay any side-mission, but not the story missions.

edit: wait, you can't replay SHIT! Why does it ask if you want to relive your memory? It just transports to the city where the side-mission took place.

Terrible, terrible, AWFUL decision.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
dsmoke1986 said:

Ignore all of the side missions. They just fluff up the length of the game. Even without them, it's more than long enough and gets repetitive.

I have a lot of problems with it, but I think it's at least worth playing. I don't come remotely close to understanding why people are gushing over it so much, but it's fun and does some good things.

Oh, and turn subtitles on and focus on reading them while trying to avoid looking at the upper half of the screen altogether. Unless you want to play for unintentional comedy, then go ahead and have a blast watching the horrible facial contortions and dead eyes.

All in all, I think it's no less flawed than the first game, just flawed in different ways.

duckroll

jett said:
I was mistaken. You can replay any side-mission, but not the story missions.

edit: wait, you can't replay SHIT! Why does it ask if you want to relive your memory? It just transports to the city where the side-mission took place.

Terrible, terrible, AWFUL decision.

It's really weird when AC wasn't like this. I hope enough people voice our concerns, so Ubisoft can patch this back in. It shouldn't be TOO hard to do. Maybe a week's programming at most right? Come on, this game is going to sell gangbangers, and I'll certainly buy ALL DLC which they release, so surely that should be enough motivation for them to add in replays? Come onnnnnnnnn guys!

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
It's really weird when AC wasn't like this. I hope enough people voice our concerns, so Ubisoft can patch this back in. It shouldn't be TOO hard to do. Maybe a week's programming at most right? Come on, this game is going to sell gangbangers, and I'll certainly buy ALL DLC which they release, so surely that should be enough motivation for them to add in replays? Come onnnnnnnnn guys!

This somewhat changes my opinion on the game now. :|

duckroll

jett said:
This somewhat changes my opinion on the game now. :|

Someone should slap Rebecca hard. Stupid Animus 2.0! "Anything they can do, I can do better" my ass! Bitch! I want AC2: Abstergo Edition now! :lol

jett

D-Member
Since I'm on a negative mood now, I'll complain about some other stuff in AC2. Did anyone think the rumble feedback was utterly worthless in this game? It's like they didn't even care. Playing the game with a sixaxis is an almost unnoticeable difference from a DS3. Sound effects are also kind of muddled and compressed, not enough kick to them. AC1, the PC version at least, I think has way higher quality sound, which helps in making the kills more satisfying.

Zeliard

This has probably been mentioned before, but it's pretty funny how you can bribe heralds to lower your notoriety, and then kill and loot them to get all your money back.

MMaRsu

Zeliard said:
This has probably been mentioned before, but it's pretty funny how you can bribe heralds to lower your notoriety, and then kill and loot them to get all your money back.

This sounds so sweet <3

Mana Sin

Zeliard said:

I actually just pay them, then steal from then less than 2seconds later. No killing required. You actually get like 3-5f extra in return.

duckroll

jett said:
Since I'm on a negative mood now, I'll complain about some other stuff in AC2. Did anyone think the rumble feedback was utterly worthless in this game? It's like they didn't even care. Playing the game with a sixaxis is an almost unnoticeable difference from a DS3. Sound effects are also kind of muddled and compressed, not enough kick to them. AC1, the PC version at least, I think has way higher quality sound, which helps in making the kills more satisfying.

:lol :lol :lol

I love you jett! :)

Zeliard

Mana Sin said:
I actually just pay them, then steal from then less than 2seconds later. No killing required. You actually get like 3-5f extra in return.

But they're basically extorting you. They've gotta go.

Ranger X

Mana Sin said:
Isn't the PS3 install mandatory? I know it's never asked me for permission to do so. I usually do installs for better load times.... When asked.

& I'm sad now, the other guy said missions were re-playable... but they are not.

I'm sorry then, You didn't specify PS3 version. I thought you were talking about he Xbox 360 install.

Top Bottom