• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Mana Sin

Is it at all possible to create a hidden blade... in the real world? Not those pathetic things you see on youtube, but an actual weapon. It has been an interest of mine for a while, since it seems like it would probably be a really nifty bit of mechanics. However many issues have popped up in my mental design... I just need to know if it's possible, or if I'm wasting my imagination's time.

Sean

Banned
Anyone know an easy place to get the Sweeper achievement (sweep 5 guards at once using a long weapon)? It's one of the last ones I need...

I did the training stuff but I'm finding it pretty much impossible to pull off in combat. By the time I kill one of the long-range dudes and steal his weapon, I'm surrounded by everyone and they don't give me enough time to prepare the sweep move.

Solo said:
Reading the thread, Id say yeah, its just you. And that one other guy, but he hasnt returned.

Very bizarre decision, made all the more bizarre since AC1 let you replay everything.

I'm going to continue to play it and see if it clicks with me...Judging from all the praise on here, I'm sure it will.

jett

D-Member
I just noticed that Ezio's armor actually looks all fucked up when it's broken. This game keeps on surprising me after I've beaten it. :p

edit: haha you can use a violin as a weapon...unfortunately they forgot to change the slashing sound effects for it. :p

Ok I need some fricking help... I am doing an assassination mission and I have to kill 10 brutes in 1 minute. How the hell do I pull that off? When they attack me they knock my sword out of my hand... every time.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got some hookers to distract them and I took out 8 of them in a matter of seconds... so so sweet.

Mana Sin

TheExecutive said:
Ok I need some fricking help... I am doing an assassination mission and I have to kill 10 brutes in 1 minute. How the hell do I pull that off? When they attack me they knock my sword out of my hand... every time.

Smoke bombs, poison, possibly some mercenaries. Timer doesn't start until the first brute dies, so poison as many as you can under a smoke bomb then kill as fast as possible.

jett

D-Member
TheExecutive said:

3 smoke bombs + double hidden blade makes this one real easy

So, after the game is finished, I can go back to collect feathers, right?

I keep fucking myself over with the feathers. I have about 40 and plan to use a guide to get the rest, but that means I'm going to find 40 locations where there are no feathers anymore. It's going to be a pain. I wish thegame had a better way of tracking/finding them.

jett

D-Member
You know what I wish this game had? Different difficulty levels. I don't get it whey they don't do it. On my next playthrough I'm gonna ban potions at least. :p It's almost impossible to die in combat anyway.

Mana Sin said:
Smoke bombs, poison, possibly some mercenaries. Timer doesn't start until the first brute dies, so poison as many as you can under a smoke bomb then kill as fast as possible.

I dont have either the poison or smokebombs... I must be really early in this game?

iamcool388 said:
Absolutely. Uncharted 2 is king, but lets not forget that its a linear experience. Assassins Creed 2 looks PLENTY good for an open world game and is easily in the top tier.
Plus the fact that most 95% of Uncharted 2's cutscenes are pre-rendered-- the lighting on the faces in-engine is not nearly as good as they are in the cutscenes. They couldn't do that in AC2 because your character can be wearing different dyes, armor and swords.

That being said I do think if Ubisoft put in a little more work they probably should have had better looking models for the cutscenes. Apparently they don't have cutscene-specific models which is why outside of Desmond/Ezio and a few other characters, most of the faces don't look that great close up.

I don't think its a very important complaint though. The game still looks gorgeous most of the time, has a great soundtrack, and the gameplay is even better.

jett

D-Member
infinityBCRT said:
Plus the fact that most 95% of Uncharted 2's cutscenes are pre-rendered-- the lighting on the faces in-engine is not nearly as good as they are in the cutscenes. They couldn't do that in AC2 because your character can be wearing different dyes, armor and swords.

That being said I do think if Ubisoft put in a little more work they probably should have had better looking models for the cutscenes. Apparently they don't have cutscene-specific models which is why outside of Desmond/Ezio and a few other characters, most of the faces don't look that great close up.

I don't think its a very important complaint though. The game still looks gorgeous most of the time, has a great soundtrack, and the gameplay is even better.

This is all true. To be honest I never had an issue with AC2's character models, I thought they all looked fine and the facial animation was really nice and expressive, better than most if not all games not named Uncharted. :p

And I can't wait to see how AC2 looks like on a PC. AC1 is still spectacular at 1080p. Nevermind running at 60fps. Best animation ever.

Korey

Concept17 said:
Its automatic in that you don't really have to press a lot of buttons... but it takes skill in order glide across rooftops and find the quickest route possible to whatever you're chasing/running from/looking for. It can be frustrating when you accidently jump down 50 feet into the middle of the street, but its also very satisfying when you manage to get where you're going by means of badass jumps and shortcuts.

Its probably the best platforming I've ever played.
I wish the platforming was a little smarter, although any smarter and I guess the game would be playing itself :)

For example, I climbed the wrong side of a ladder, so I dropped down and tried walking around it to the other side, but the game kept locking me onto the same (wrong) side of the ladder. Took me about five tries to get around. Also I've jumped to my death a couple of times while climbing some skyscrapers. There's a fine balance between holding A or not you have to learn.

Sean said:
Is there a way to buy a treasure map for the feathers? I think I'm on DNA sequence 9 or something if that matters.

Nobody answered this yet so I take there is no map for feathers?

Seems question about collecting feathers after finishing the game being asked repeatedly. :lol I think this is much needed addition in the patch, if possible. I'm skipping it for now unless I see them in my normal path.

Mana Sin said:
There isn't an in-game map, no, but someone posted this a few pages ago.

http://mycheats.1up.com/view/section/3170852/28010/assassin_s_creed_2/xbox_360

Thanks.

jett

D-Member
Did anyone get the "black" limited edition? Can you describe the 3 bonus maps? I'm guessing one of them unlocks the southern region in Florence. Such bullshit, I bet this crap is already on my disc.

edgefusion

Korey said:
I wish the platforming was a little smarter, although any smarter and I guess the game would be playing itself :)

For example, I climbed the wrong side of a ladder, so I dropped down and tried walking around it to the other side, but the game kept locking me onto the same (wrong) side of the ladder. Took me about five tries to get around. Also I've jumped to my death a couple of times while climbing some skyscrapers. There's a fine balance between holding A or not you have to learn.

If you push on the directional stick while on a ladder Ezio will flip around it. Jumping to your doom is something I can relate to though, so many times I've fudged a jump because the controls decided to get squirrely on me.

jett said:
Did anyone get the "black" limited edition? Can you describe the 3 bonus maps? I'm guessing one of them unlocks the southern region in Florence. Such bullshit, I bet this crap is already on my disc.

I got white and the bonus map was beautifully rendered but fairly small and nothing exciting in it (just florins). And yeah, it will be on the disc already, in white you get a code that comes on a bit of paper with the disc you have to input in order to unlock the content. I hope they make them available as or with DLC at some point just because I'd like to explore as much of this (gorgeous) game as possible but I don't think they're huge chunks.

Mana Sin

jett said:

I thought the bonus maps for the black edition were the same ones offered in the Master Edition in the US? two went to gamestop, one went to bestbuy or some such place. I got the two from gamestop and they're just
assassin tomb levels called templar lairs with the end prize being 2000f.

There weren't any parts of the game map extended... there were just new indoor levels. I just finished me second one that's in
Venice
. Their prizes are kind of disappointing since I pretty much payed 20-30$ extra for these two maps and a Ezio toy... but the platforming is still fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
things Assassin's Creed 2 have left me thinking about:

- We need a new POP with the same level of player control as this game

- My reaction post-AC1 that the controls and combat were great, but just needed a decent game surrounding them was true

- Splitting up the game into two cities and a couple of mini-cities was a wise-choice

- A mode where you must remain undetected to pull off the stealth kills would be swell

- I shouldn't have doubted Patrice Desilet; the game is outstanding

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Leminnes said:
Do we have a definitive date on the PC version of this yet or is it still "Q1 2010?" I ask, because I want it. Really bad.
I think February? (citation needed)

Spiegel

Just started playing the game and I'm seriously wowed by the graphics. Looks much better compared to AC.

Also I'm really liking the fable-ish world.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow nice bug. After killing the guy at the villa in Tuscany, the enemies no longer attack me. Even after the mission is over. Nice fucking bug. /sarcasm

edit: had to quit the game to fix this.

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
The bonus maps are like the Assassin Tombs. Heavy on platforming.

The first one is located inside the Medici house in Florence
The second one is located in a Church in Venice
The third one is called Arsenal Shipyard, but I havent been inside it, since the US LE only came with 2 maps

Dead said:
The bonus maps are like the Assassin Tombs. Heavy on platforming.

The first one is located inside the Medici house in Florence
The second one is located in a Church in Venice
The third one is called Arsenal Shipyard, but I havent been inside it, since the US LE only came with 2 maps

That's weird; I know what jett is talking about though, It seems that there are certain areas still locked in Florence and in Venice even when fully synched and game is complete...

Sean

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Nobody answered this yet so I take there is no map for feathers?

Seems question about collecting feathers after finishing the game being asked repeatedly. :lol I think this is much needed addition in the patch, if possible. I'm skipping it for now unless I see them in my normal path.

I just beat the game and unless I missed it, no there isn't any map for the feathers.

I would suggest skipping the feathers completely until you finish the game, then it'll be much easier to follow a guide of the locations. Otherwise you'll be revisiting areas you've already collected a feather from etc.

jett said:
This is all true. To be honest I never had an issue with AC2's character models, I thought they all looked fine and the facial animation was really nice and expressive, better than most if not all games not named Uncharted. :p

And I can't wait to see how AC2 looks like on a PC. AC1 is still spectacular at 1080p. Nevermind running at 60fps. Best animation ever.
I'm just hoping AC2 doesn't bomb in sales. I think they'll turn a profit for sure (they'll need to sell over a million copies which it should do) but I don't know if it will be the monster hit that AC1 was (8 million I think?). If it does sell as well as AC1 though, I'm hoping they put a lot more money into AC3's development because they would have made a ton off the first two games and the third game will likely be hyped by everyone because AC2 is so good.

jett said:
Isn't everything going to eventually unlocked according to Patrice? or is that only for the gamestop pre-order maps?

Mana Sin said:
Is it at all possible to create a hidden blade... in the real world? Not those pathetic things you see on youtube, but an actual weapon. It has been an interest of mine for a while, since it seems like it would probably be a really nifty bit of mechanics. However many issues have popped up in my mental design... I just need to know if it's possible, or if I'm wasting my imagination's time.
Columbine much?

Mana Sin

infinityBCRT said:
Columbine much?

Nah, I just have a thing for bladed weapons. I would love a hidden blade. Protection on the go and it's really damn sexy. The only negative I can see is accidental activation.

TheFreshPrince

I'm about 2 hrs in and having a bit of a problem....

I'm unsure what moves I should be able to do at this point, and what I have to 'learn' later.

For example, jumping assassinations? Do you have those as soon as you get your hidden blade, or is that something 'learned' later on? I can be right above guards, and the 'Assassinate' won't come up by the X button.

Seems to be the case with some other things as well. I appreciate them doling it out (like how you couldn't hire mercs/thieves in the very beginning), but I have no clue what I should already know how to do.

wRATH2x

Banned
Need some help:

So I'm suppose to decipher the codex pages, I used eagle vision and it know looks like the world map. I read all the pages and looked at all the images, know I don't know what to do to progress.

jett

D-Member
Oh man they exclusive-DLC's tombs? Tombs that are already on my disc? MY disc? That I paid $65 for? MY DISC?

...yeah this is better be released for free. and soon.

infinityBCRT said:
I'm just hoping AC2 doesn't bomb in sales. I think they'll turn a profit for sure (they'll need to sell over a million copies which it should do) but I don't know if it will be the monster hit that AC1 was (8 million I think?). If it does sell as well as AC1 though, I'm hoping they put a lot more money into AC3's development because they would have made a ton off the first two games and the third game will likely be hyped by everyone because AC2 is so good.

I'm really worried for AC2. I don't see much hype for it. It deserves all the millions of AC1. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheFreshPrince said:
I'm about 2 hrs in and having a bit of a problem....

I'm unsure what moves I should be able to do at this point, and what I have to 'learn' later.

For example, jumping assassinations? Do you have those as soon as you get your hidden blade, or is that something 'learned' later on? I can be right above guards, and the 'Assassinate' won't come up by the X button.

Seems to be the case with some other things as well. I appreciate them doling it out (like how you couldn't hire mercs/thieves in the very beginning), but I have no clue what I should already know how to do.
you'll learn stuff like that later :)

Wrath2X said:
Need some help:

So I'm suppose to decipher the codex pages, I used eagle vision and it know looks like the world map. I read all the pages and looked at all the images, know I don't know what to do to progress.
if you're at the correct moment during Memory Block 14 (I think), interact with the pillar infront of the board of codex pages once they're correctly aligned

jett

D-Member
Actually, for some reason, Ezio "comes" with all of Altair's moves out of the box. Before the training proper.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
Actually, for some reason, Ezio "comes" with all of Altair's moves out of the box. Before the training proper.
oh? I thought that the ledge-grab and hay-grab were taught at the same time as the air assassination? guess I'm wrong.

wRATH2x

Banned
jett said:
I'm really worried for AC2. I don't see much hype for it. It deserves all the millions of AC1. :p
It's a fucking great game, I find it weird how it is much, much less hyped and marketed than the first one. Is it because of Jade Raymond? Is it because of AC1'S first E3 trailer? Was it because it was set in Jerusalem and Damascus during Holy Wars? Is it because some were alienated by the first game?

In the end AC1 had a lot more to it's advantage.

jett

D-Member
Wrath2X said:
It's a fucking great game, I find it weird how it is much, much less hyped and marketed than the first one. Is it because of Jade Raymond? Is it because of AC1'S first E3 trailer? Was it because it was set in Jerusalem and Damascus during Holy Wars? Is it because some were alienated by the first game?

I have no idea what kind of advertising is running in US TVs, but from my perspective Ubisoft certainly invested plenty on marketing AC2. That Lineage 40 minute short couldn't have been cheap. The problem with AC2 is...well AC1. :p That got plenty of backlash. And let's face it, the trailers haven't been as great as the ones AC1 got.

Rez said:
oh? I thought that the ledge-grab and hay-grab were taught at the same time as the air assassination? guess I'm wrong.

Ezio can even steal weapons right from the start. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wrath2X said:

I think the bad reception AC1 received, among casuals and enthusiasts alike, is the primary reason AC2 is getting a bit less fan-fare. Good word-of-mouth should help it do well, though.

wRATH2x

Banned
jett said:
I have no idea what kind of advertising is running in US TVs, but from my perspective Ubisoft certainly invested plenty on marketing AC2. That Lineage 40 minute short couldn't have been cheap. The problem with AC2 is...well AC1. :p That got plenty of backlash. And let's face it, the trailers haven't been as great as the ones AC1 got.
I don't really get why so many people hated it, it's one of the few games I actually love and remember fondly this generation. Everyone I know fucking loves it, the only hate I see is on the internet.

Plus I'm in Saudi Arabia, so almost no game is marketed here other than Pro Evolution Soccer. :lol

jett

D-Member
Wrath2X said:
I don't really get why so many people hated it, it's one of the few games I actually love and remember fondly this generation. Everyone I know fucking loves it, the only hate I see is on the internet.

Plus I'm in Saudi Arabia, so almost no game is marketed here other than Pro Evolution Soccer. :lol

Well we'll see in December's NPD. I personally really liked Assassins Creed despite its faults. It did much right...and much wrong.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Woo, just finished Memory Block 8 then did the final tomb. I am taking this pretty slowly and getting a lot done, already have the villa over 80%.

Something I'm wondering about the end of 8 though:
I heard that was the only mission with the flying machine. Did they ditch that really cool area from the E3 showing(with all the fireworks)?

wRATH2x

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
If AC1 was terrible (not for me) for many and still manages to sell 8 million copies worldwide, AC2 fucking deserves better than that.
It does, finally a lengthy single player game with a decent story, good character development, great graphics and gameplay, etc. this generation. I hope it outsells AC1(not likely though).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
Woo, just finished Memory Block 8 then did the final tomb. I am taking this pretty slowly and getting a lot done, already have the villa over 80%.

Something I'm wondering about the end of 8 though:
I heard that was the only mission with the flying machine. Did they ditch that really cool area from the E3 showing(with all the fireworks)?
the E3 area was a splicing together of two separate parts ;)

Top Bottom