• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Mana Sin

If AC3 takes place in the modern world for any length of time, wouldn't the existence of guns sorta cheapen things? Or will the guns be reduced to rooftop 'archers' and Desmond will be wearing Kevlar? Instead of different dyes and what-not will there be plastic surgery or fake skin to hide your appearance? Stuff to dream about people..

Sqorgar

Banned
Mana Sin said:
I actually just pay them, then steal from then less than 2seconds later. No killing required. You actually get like 3-5f extra in return.
Great. Now Jack Thompson is going to call Assassin's Creed II a "Herald Killing Simulator".

As if I couldn't love this game anymore, I just got my second hidden blade. With the new assassination techniques I'm literally running around town, killing every guard I see.

And whoever mentioned before that attacking a guard from behind with an axe was awesome... was not kidding. So very awesome.

tino

Banned
jett said:
I was mistaken. You can replay any side-mission, but not the story missions.

edit: wait, you can't replay SHIT! Why does it ask if you want to relive your memory? It just transports to the city where the side-mission took place.

Terrible, terrible, AWFUL decision.

I know. I was playing the game with my friend. I took the PS3 home and finished it last night. Now I realized my friend can't see the ending? Which non-Jade Raymond moron designed this shit?

Mana Sin

Enraged Exclamation: What the fuck.

I took on the contract to kill the
10 Brutes
. I had everything set up perfectly; I had plenty of poison, some smoke bombs, and a gang of idiots to keep them distracted as I stealth killed them. I wait till the two groups og
5 brutes
some close to each other and I set my plan into motion.

Smoke bomb, call the mercenaries over, inject about 5 guys with poison, then double assassinate as much as possible. I got off about 4 kills in the first four seconds. Then the damn game froze again!

Picked this up last night and I'm really enjoying it. I actually kind of liked the original, or at least thought it showed a lot of potential so I was pretty confident I'd like the sequel. I can't believe people are complaining about the intro. I was expecting something completely awful based on all this bitching in this thread, but it goes by relatively quickly and I think it does a decent job of setting up the plot and introducing you to the gameplay. I love that people will play a game for an hour and then immediately rush to GAF to start complaining about before doing anything else. That really adds valuable input to discussion of the game.

Sai-kun

Banned
jett said:
Since I'm on a negative mood now, I'll complain about some other stuff in AC2. Did anyone think the rumble feedback was utterly worthless in this game? It's like they didn't even care. Playing the game with a sixaxis is an almost unnoticeable difference from a DS3. Sound effects are also kind of muddled and compressed, not enough kick to them. AC1, the PC version at least, I think has way higher quality sound, which helps in making the kills more satisfying.

My favorite sound is the one made when you kill a guy with a polearm and leave him impaled on it, and his body slowly slides down, and you hear a squish when he reaches the ground. :lol :lol :lol

Solo

dsmoke1986 said:
Is it just me or is this game not that good?

Reading the thread, Id say yeah, its just you. And that one other guy, but he hasnt returned.

jett said:
I was mistaken. You can replay any side-mission, but not the story missions.

edit: wait, you can't replay SHIT! Why does it ask if you want to relive your memory? It just transports to the city where the side-mission took place.

Terrible, terrible, AWFUL decision.

Very bizarre decision, made all the more bizarre since AC1 let you replay everything.

jett

D-Member
Sai-kun said:
My favorite sound is the one made when you kill a guy with a polearm and leave him impaled on it, and his body slowly slides down, and you hear a squish when he reaches the ground. :lol :lol :lol

That is definitely one of the more badass kills in the game.

Ravidrath

Has anyone else playing the PS3 version been seeing stray vertices?

I'm worried that my PS3 might be dying again, but it's also possible for this to show up for purely software reasons.

I'm on an 80 gig MGS4 system.

Solo said:
Very bizarre decision, made all the more bizarre since AC1 let you replay everything.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. There are a few missions where it would have been EXTREMELY rewarding to try out different tactics and strategies. Not to mention that if you dont do it the first time, you cant get the flyswatter achievement either.

With games like these, where the gameplay is varied enough to provide you with multiple options on how to accomplish something, the game should give you the opportunity to try them out. inFAMOUS had the same problem, but at least it had manual save and you could have a different save for it. AC2 has autosave so you are shit out of luck.

Still, amidst all the negativeness, lets not forget what a great game this is. This and Batman (and inFAMOUS to a smaller extent) have been such surprises. This has been a very good year to be a gamer. :D

Sean

Banned
It's funny that you can swim but no one else can. I was running on the docks and just pushing all the fisherman into the water to their deaths.

Then some dude was in a boat, so I swam out to it and jumped on it, the guy got so scared and jumped overboard and drowned :lol

megalowho

Two small gripes with the open worldness of the game:

-NO WEATHER. Some rain and fog would have gone a long way towards changing up the mood of the cities and making the world seem that much more real.
-NO CHILDREN. I know this is a game where you can do violent stuff to pedestrians but maybe the time for putting kids in games where you do violent stuff is finally upon us. Dragon Age and Fable have kids. A missed opportunity if you ask me, given how outstanding the pedestrian stuff is otherwise.

Somehow I've been able to look past these glaring weaknesses, to the point that I'm truly hooked on it. Don't want to put it down before I finish, don't want to finish too soon because it's such a joy to play. A great game that stands out as one of my favorites of the year so far.

Just had hard freeze. I was traveling from Moterrigioni to Florence on horse. After fast travel transition, screen went all white and froze completely. Only option was manual system (360) restart.

Sean

Banned
Is there a way to buy a treasure map for the feathers? I think I'm on DNA sequence 9 or something if that matters.

MirageDwarf said:
Just had hard freeze. I was traveling from Moterrigioni to Florence on horse. After fast travel transition, screen went all white and froze completely. Only option was manual system (360) restart.

I've just had a hard freeze (360) too when fast traveling to Venice.. Thankfully this game is great about auto saving, when I powered the console back on it even had me in Venice.

jett

D-Member
megalowho said:

-NO WEATHER. Some rain and fog would have gone a long way towards changing up the mood of the cities and making the world seem that much more real.
-NO CHILDREN. I know this is a game where you can do violent stuff to pedestrians but maybe the time for putting kids in games where you do violent stuff is finally upon us. Dragon Age and Fable have kids. A missed opportunity if you ask me, given how outstanding the pedestrian stuff is otherwise.

Somehow I've been able to look past these glaring weaknesses, to the point that I'm truly hooked on it. Don't want to put it down before I finish, don't want to finish too soon because it's such a joy to play. A great game that stands out as one of my favorites of the year so far.

Well there is the one child.
And he gets hung. :p

I don't think we'll be getting any sort of weather effects in a current-gen AC game. Maybe the superior edition could have that added in? :p

JambiBum

Can anyone tell me where the glyph is on the Torre Dell 'Orologio? The building is huge and I can't for the life of me find it :/

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
JambiBum said:
Can anyone tell me where the glyph is on the Torre Dell 'Orologio? The building is huge and I can't for the life of me find it :/
Use Eagle Vision on the roof.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
jett said:
Well there is the one child.
And he gets hung. :p

I don't think we'll be getting any sort of weather effects in a current-gen AC game. Maybe the superior edition could have that added in? :p

you'd know, you fucking pervert

Tirade

placeholder
I'm considering getting this, but I have two questions:

1) How long is the game, and after you're done, is there anything in the way of replayability?

2) Do I have to play the first one?

I'm really enjoying it - I loved the first one, how could I not like this, as a culmination of that promise? - but I sometimes find the controls weird and almost laggy. I don't know if this is just me, but sometimes it'll drop out as I'm climbing something and I'll just sort of judder. I calm down, wait a second, and then it'll work for me, and all is well. Weird. Same thing happens with some assassinations; I'll have somebody picked out, jab the button, and nothing happens. I pause, breathe, try again, and bingo! One dead chappie.

So, yeah; Great game, some weird control issues (for me, at least).

sangreal said:
Have you learned the climbing leap yet?

Probably don't. I have to get
to Emilio something something and I cannot get in (guards) so I want to use this tower to clear up the fog but I can't get up the tower so that doesnt work...

jett

D-Member
Tirade said:
I'm considering getting this, but I have two questions:

1) How long is the game, and after you're done, is there anything in the way of replayability?

2) Do I have to play the first one?

1) There's a bunch of side-missions to do besides the story path. Doing EVERYTHING could take around 40 hours.

2) You won't understand the beginning at all if you don't, but it's not super necessary no.

jiien

megalowho said:

Totally agree! The weather thing occurred to me as well, simply because I think the lighting to denote the time of day in this game is absolutely beautiful. The way you can tell dawn from dusk was superbly done, and I love watching the time of day change. It's fun to leave the assassination missions and certain things like that for the night time, to maintain the illusion.

And I never really thought about the fact that there were no children before. As far as the people go, I was actually hoping they were louder in relation to everything else going on. I shouldn't be able to hear my footsteps if there are oodles of people around always walking, and talking. I mean, on the rooftops, sure, it's quieter, but on the ground, I wan't more hubbub. I also wish there were more...unique actions going on. People are either standing, walking, or sitting in a group or alone. I think the few other actions I've seen is some guy sweeping, nailing something on a wall, in an argument...I just kinda wish there was even more variety, because mostly it's just a bunch of people walking around, not even talking.

Snipes424

Corky said:
I reckon this has been asked a billion times already, but the reception seems very good but my financial status isnt all that at the moment so I was just wondering :

I bought the first one and played 2h before putting it on hold forever, I really want to give 2 another shot but should I stay away from it seeing as I really disliked the first one? '

thx

I hated 1 and I think 2 is great, the beginning feels AC1ish, but over time it get's better and better until your brain explodes at the end.

Aesius

Just finished it. I thought I had easily played for 30+ hours - turns out I only played for 20.

Fucking loved it though. The only suggestion I have for the sequel (gameplay-wise) would be to include even more RPG elements. i.e. more weapons, armor, actual side quests with plots (rather than "activities"). Maybe throw in XP and level ups.

Going along with that, I'd like the difficulty raised as well. Killing guards should be near impossible in the beginning. Only after skills are raised sufficiently and proper equipment is purchased should it be feasible. I'd like to have the first 1/4 of the game be all about stealth because you are simply too weak to take on the guards.

But yeah. Just a small suggestion, because other than that they fucking nailed it this time. Kudos to Ubisoft, because this is probably my GOTY. Now off to find the rest of those feathers.....

Spaulding

Love the game so far. Is it supposed to run in 720p on PS3? Thought the game was 1080p...

Is there a way to mark locations from the database on the map? Like when I'm looking for the glyphs, I can see in the database where to look, but I don't know where to find that building...

Sobriquet

Spaulding said:
Love the game so far. Is it supposed to run in 720p on PS3? Thought the game was 1080p...
Why would you think that?

Spaulding said:
Is there a way to mark locations from the database on the map? Like when I'm looking for the glyphs, I can see in the database where to look, but I don't know where to find that building...
Unfortunately, no. I would just climb as high as I could and look around.

Ranger X

Spaulding said:

- 1080p games can be counted on one hand if you exclude PSN games. Never expect a 1080p game --- it probably will not happen.

- What you have for finding the glyphs are the images of the landmarks in the database. That's all. But the landmarks are visible and easy to find so it shouldn't really be a problem.

Diomedes

At the end, do you at least retain feathers for next playthrough? Deciding whether to finish or wait til after finding them.

sangreal

Spaulding said:

No. I found this really really annoying, but the landmarks are all solid gray on the map. Unfortunately that includes the ones that don't have glyphs

Diomedes said:
At the end, do you at least retain feathers for next playthrough? Deciding whether to finish or wait til after finding them.

No, but you can keep playing the same playthrough after the story ends

Grecco

The whole "truth thing" is really bizarre. Ive unlocked i think 4 by accident
suggesting that various leaders of history had pieces of the fruit of eden from Ac1? and some weird video that looks like Adam and Eve running around in a portal thing

Also i love the optional assassinations i like them more than the actual story ones ive done so far.

Sai

100% Synchronization, and all of the Achievements!... Over 36 hours of playtime. >_> Thank God the game doesn't let you replay memory blocks/sessions, or I'd still be at it.

Desmond had the perfect reaction to The Vault's secret.

bridegur said:
Does the platforming/parkour in this require any skill, or is it basically automatic?
Hold down RT/R2+A/X and just aim.

With all the climbing and leaping, having to time a press of a jump button would make the free running sequences a pain in the ass.

Concept17

bridegur said:
Does the platforming/parkour in this require any skill, or is it basically automatic?

Its automatic in that you don't really have to press a lot of buttons... but it takes skill in order glide across rooftops and find the quickest route possible to whatever you're chasing/running from/looking for. It can be frustrating when you accidently jump down 50 feet into the middle of the street, but its also very satisfying when you manage to get where you're going by means of badass jumps and shortcuts.

Its probably the best platforming I've ever played.

unomas

Banned
There are 10 feathers in the first section of Florence but I've only found 9, can you go back and collect the feathers even if you move on to a different level or part of the game?

sangreal

unomas said:
There are 10 feathers in the first section of Florence but I've only found 9, can you go back and collect the feathers even if you move on to a different level or part of the game?

Yes, you can always go back and collect the feathers, and you can track how many you have collected in each district via the dna menu

Fixed1979

So I just got to Venice. After being totally apprehensive about this game because the first one bored me too tears I can say without a doubt that all the improvements made from AC1 to AC2 make the experience so much better. I think I played for 6 hours today and I'm sure I'll play some more this evening. It took me about 2 hours to get into it, which really is too long, but I'm glad I stuck it out. Hopefully it continues to improve as I progresses further.

I hope they make the same kind of quality leap for AC3 because there's a few things that need some attention, but overall this one gets a thumbs up.

Top Bottom